The Unsaved Man Does Not Need To “Stop Sinning”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Moreover, the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, in order that you may live."

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God commands everyone to repent! Acts 17:30

Like Judas did ?

Or perhaps more like the Sinful Tax Collector who cried out, “ Lord, have Mercy on me , a Sinner....”

Judas turned to a noose—— the Tax collector turned to God.......it ain’t hard to figure out which “ repentance” that God Commands.....

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Like Judas did ?

Or perhaps more like the Sinful Tax Collector who cried out, “ Lord, have Mercy on me , a Sinner....”

Judas turned to a noose—— the Tax collector turned to God.......it ain’t hard to figure out which “ repentance” that God Commands.....
Judas should've responded with godly sorrow. Instead, he responded with ungodly sorrow...which leads to death.
Godly sorrow leads to true repentance...which leads to life.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you understood sin than you would have your answer. Don’t be like the priests, scribes, and Pharisees.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judas should've responded with godly sorrow. Instead, he responded with ungodly sorrow...which leads to death.
Godly sorrow leads to true repentance...which leads to life.
Judas was hardly a useable example about repentance at all, since his killing himself was due to intense anguish in realizing he had betrayed an innocent man and caused his death.

That scenario doesn’t apply to 99.99 percent of humanity who repents or feels the need to repent.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since turning away from sin and towards God in repentance is a prerequisite of salvation, per Acts 3:19 and many other scriptures, the unsaved man does have to stop sinning to be saved when he has faith in Jesus.

And the definition of repentance is changing your mind about sin, turning away from sin, and turning to God, metaneo in Greek.

Both repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus are required, per the apostle Paul Acts 20:21

.Act 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Scriptures don’t teach salvation by faith alone, but by faith and repentance.

Reactions: David H.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After salvation... the Christian should turn their attention away from sin and onto CHRIST.... and all HIS glorious promises. He should spend his/her life filled with thanksgiving and gratitude... He should spend his/her waking hours marvelling at HOW GREAT THOU ART...
Amen!!!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moral self-reformation or behavior modification is not a substitute for regeneration for the unregenerate man.
Neither is it a substitute for sanctification. Reforming your behavior is good, for instance, those who post without good manners could stand a little reforming, I think! But it doesn't replace walking in the Spirit.

Much love!

Reactions: charity

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither is it a substitute for sanctification. Reforming your behavior is good, for instance, those who post without good manners could stand a little reforming, I think! But it doesn't replace walking in the Spirit.

Much love!
And the criteria for being regenerated is faith plus repentance - repentance towards the first person of the trinity AND faith towards the second person of the trinity, as Paul taught, Acts 20:19-21.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the criteria for being regenerated is faith plus repentance - repentance towards the first person of the trinity AND faith towards the second person of the trinity, as Paul taught, Acts 20:19-21.
I've heard that all who call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved. I wonder how much "formula" we need?

Repentance, as I've studied that Greek word metanoia, is having exchanged your old mind for a new mind. I see it as repudiating the flesh, and the world. I mean, I don't think we have a lot of sophistication in spiritual realities as we're being saved, at least, I didn't really. I knew the basics they taught in 3 year olds Sunday School, which is why I'm such a big fan of children's Sunday School. When I realized the Bible was true, I knew I needed to start obeying Jesus, and that was my faith to be saved. That's repentance. I knew my life was wrong, and the world didn't have the answers, Jesus did.

Much love!

Reactions: charity

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Trusting in the Gospel Found In 1Cor15:1-4 is the “ Criteria” for Regeneration and hence, Salvation if the Bible actually means anything to you.....

To “ repent” literally means to have a mind change.......

Any body that rejects Paul’s Gospel ( Given to Him personally by Jesus) and later “ changes his mind” to put his Faith in this Promise Of Jesus for their Salvation has undergone all the Repentance he ever needs to do to get Saved and Stay Saved.....

Doing this automatically takes care of the only Sin that a man must Repent of to be Saved—— That would be the Sin of “ Self -Righteousness “——thinking to yourself, as the lost, self- Righteous Pharisees did .....” I do this and I do that and I never do this and I never do that, therefore I am “ Worthy” to merit Heaven ...

Think again, Blind, deceived Fool—— There is None good, We ALL “ fall short” and Nobody will ever be “ Worthy” to make it to Heaven....Our ONLY hope is to be * MADE* Worthy by putting our Faith in the Shed Blood Of Jesus (PLUS NOTHING !) to fully pay for our sins.All Of them.

Do as Ordered in Hebrews—- REST in the Gospel , Rest in the Finished Work Of The Cross. The alternative, according to God, is to be guilty of Disobedience and Unbelief......Serious Accusations by God Himself....If you are not living in “ Obedience to the Gospel” , the rest of your “obedience” that you might be so obsessed with will just be Dead Works ......God Bless.....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God commands everyone to repent! Acts 17:30

True , but nowhere in the KJV does it say “ Repent Of *SINS*” to get or stay Saved.....My offer of $1000 still stands to the person who can prove me wrong.....

If by “ Repent” one understands that it means “ Turn to God” ( with Faith in Jesus Christ ) , well then , you got yourself something that will save your Soul.....Judas Repented for his sin to the point he even returned the silver coins to the evil men that prompted him to perform his terrible deed ...he is in Hell today.....Do you think that your ability to remember all of your sins and feel remorse for all of them and do your darnedest to never repeat them is God's Formula for Salvation? If so, Prepare to meet Judas in Hell.....It will Be to late, but you will both be in full agreement —— all along the song had it right .....it really WAS “ Nothing But the Blood” ......Nothing.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
but nowhere in the KJV does it say “ Repent Of *SINS*” to get or stay Saved...
That is a given. Repentance means turning from all sins and idols. So why do you want the Bible to include the word "sins" when it is already a given? This is the kind of nonsense which prevents people from seeing the truth. So take a close look at this verse (Acts 3:19): Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Did Jesus say that repentance was necessary for the remission of sins? Absolutely.
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (Lk 24:47)

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance means turning from all sins and idols.

Only lost people think they can “ turn from ALL Sins”....... Saved people see their utter depravity before a Holy God and Cling to the Grace That a Loving God has provided to Save them....Grace Plus Nothing bestowed upon those with Faith in Jesus .....

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a mistake to tell a man devoid of the Holy Spirit ( the Unsaved Man, in other words ) to “stop sinning”.
So, the guy who fixes my roof (expensive, but he can come out on short notice) handed me a tract his church published about how to get saved. It’s based on the story of the Philippian Jailer (Acts 16:25-34), with some added text about repenting from all your sins. My roofer seemed to relish telling how it p____ed-off the local LGBTQ community, and it became quite clear that he didn’t give a damn whether these broken souls got saved; he was more concerned that they stop boinking each other.

And so Christ is glorified…

Last edited:
Reactions: doxley

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (Lk 24:47)

Notice that He did NOT say “Repentance Of SINS”........the only way one will get “ remitted” From their Sins is to TURN to Jesus .....that “ Turn” is what the word “ repentance” is describing here.....
“They could not have Life Eternal because they would not come (turn or repent) to me”.....

Never was it said that they could not receive Eternal Life because they did not Conquer sin by repenting From all of their sins....

Reactions: HisLife

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
True , but nowhere in the KJV does it say “ Repent Of *SINS*” to get or stay Saved.....My offer of $1000 still stands to the person who can prove me wrong.....

If by “ Repent” one understands that it means “ Turn to God” ( with Faith in Jesus Christ ) , well then , you got yourself something that will save your Soul.....Judas Repented for his sin to the point he even returned the silver coins to the evil men that prompted him to perform his terrible deed ...he is in Hell today.....Do you think that your ability to remember all of your sins and feel remorse for all of them and do your darnedest to never repeat them is God's Formula for Salvation? If so, Prepare to meet Judas in Hell.....It will Be to late, but you will both be in full agreement —— all along the song had it right .....it really WAS “ Nothing But the Blood” ......Nothing.
The Lord, independent of me, put the truth of John 3:16 in my heart. That was the first time I'd ever heard it. I didn't even have time to reflect on it. It was a sovereign act of God I am saved by grace, and it was a gift that He gave me. I didn't even ask for it.
I've learned since to take sin seriously and repent, but my first believing really had nothing to do with my will. I'm so glad He did that.