The "Weaker Brother"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Recent events have motivated me to revisit a topic i have discussed before...that of the weaker brother,we know what the bible says about the weaker brother,we also know what the bible says about the human heart.

The weaker brother is supposed to be someone who's fath is perhaps not where our's is at any given time so we are to respect that weakness in regard to our freedom in Jesus.....enter now human nature,if i can control, alter,censor or silence other people using the excuse that i am offended and i do it am i the weaker brother or am i just trying to control and manipulate people ? are other people responsable for my emotional reactions or am i ? in denying one's self are the rights of offense not also denied ?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
They are indeed, but it is only a one way street. The weaker brother will take offense and sometimes lash back. As the stronger we already know this (because we were already there at one time) and we can take a more relaxed and understanding tact, even while being accused of this slight or that slight.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
They are indeed, but it is only a one way street. The weaker brother will take offense and sometimes lash back. As the stronger we already know this (because we were already there at one time) and we can take a more relaxed and understanding tact, even while being accused of this slight or that slight.

So you are saying that the weaker brother comes in two flavors,those who claim offense for purposes of control and manipulation and those who use it as an excuse to,as you put it,lash back...ie you call me a name,i call you a name....what about where responsabilities begin and end ? if i tell you what offends me in word or deed does it become your obligation to respect and follow that list ? lets say that you express an opinion or lets say a truth that can be backed up by the word of God and i tell you that your opinion and/or statment offends me...are you obligated to retract the statement or apoligize ? or restate it in a way that is acceptable to me ? it might also be worth mentioning that the passages about the weaker brother in the bible seem to refer to t5hings like eating,drinking ect etc and not doctrine....also we have the subjective definitions of words...for most people "fair" means when they get what they want...unfair is when the other guy gets what they want....the same for kindness,love,compassion ect etc.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Is not eating and drinking covered by doctrine? They are reserved for those whose doctrine is still milk rather than meat. Christianity is not a brand seared into our flesh at conversion. It is a process where we put off the old and put on the new. But soon the new that was put on becomes old and a newer, more refined and disciplined faith is reached.

Did not Paul learn from Jesus in the desert for 2 years? Why do long? Paul had to grow in the faith, even at the private foot of Christ, just as the other Apostles had to.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Eating and Drinking is not defined the same as doctrine in the bible,it does not say that wherever you do,as if it doesn't matter what you,do to the glory of God...it does not say thou shall eat this or that or not eat this or that...it does say thou shall not lie,steal,commit adultery,ect ect...it is not possible to lie,steal or commit adultery to the glory of God...so no they are not the same.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not simply stop name calling and the use of sarcasm all together? What purpose do they serve against a strong or weak brother?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see you are serious about reaching the lost, as usual.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
I see you are serious about reaching the lost, as usual.

Reaching the lost with the truth,yes..pandering to the lost with hyper emotional self serving rationalizations and foolsih nonsense designed to make the road to Hell a joy ride,no.