"The word was a god"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The third phrase sets forth the basic premise concerning the pre-existent "Word": "and God was the Word" (German: und Gott war das Wort). In verse 1c "God" stands in contrast to the clearly articulated divine concept in verse 1b emphasized at the beginning by lack of the article...In so much as the last word of verse 1b was dealt with, the whole imparts a divine being to the "Word". The obvious "and God" is the predicate and in no way identifies the Word with the latter "with the God." Thereby "the Word" is identified as "God" just as the other one is, with which this "Word" stands in close association. The Deity-Being [German: Gott-Sein] denotes the essence of the "Word" as it does God himself. The word "God" in the predicate of verse 1c is not the subject - as in Luther's translation "God was the Word," on the contrary it is the predicate. The "Word" is not "the God" (verse 1b) or God the Father. Likewise, Logos is "Gott von Art," divine essence, essentially equal to God, so that one has to translate them interrelatedly: "and the Word was Gott von Art." The religious traditions of monotheism in the Old Testament and the late Jewish period are supported and honored by this pre-Johannine, Hellenistic eulogy. In no way, however, as we have already stressed, is a simple interidentification to be had."

Thus, Schulz says that The Word is "identified as 'God' just as the other one is" (i.e., just as ho theos is), and "essentially equal to God." Schulz is not saying that the Word is "a god," in the sense one might think by just looking at the literal English translation of "ein Gott," but rather is very clearly distinguishing the Logos from the Father, yet emphasizing that His "divine essence" is that of ho theos, and thus is equal in nature to God - which, of course, supports the Trinitarian view of what qualitative theos means in John 1:1c.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Do you mean that I must follow the teachings of trinitarian scholars and overlook any errors they make?
No, you follow the teachings of outreach Judaism attacking even your scriptures, simple as that.

The trinitarian NIV Study Bible (1985, Zondervan) says in its note for Gen 1:26, "us ... our. God speaks as the Creator-King announcing his crowning work to the members of his heavenly court." And, in this same work, the footnotes for Job 1:6 and 38:7 say concerning “the sons of God”: "1:6 angels came to present themselves. .... They came as members of the heavenly council who stand in the presence of God." And "38:7 .... When the earth was created, the angels were there to sing the praises of the Creator, but Job was not."
Did Someone Find the Doctrine of the Trinity In the First Chapter of the Bible? To Whom Was God Speaking When He Said, "Let Us Make Man in Our Image? | Outreach Judaism:

"This use of the majestic plural in Genesis 3:22-24 is what contributed the NIV Study Bible’s annotation on Genesis 1:26 (above). At the end of its comment on this verse, the NIV Study Bible provides a number of biblical sources from the Jewish Scriptures to support its position that:

Is outreach Judaism, of all places on the Internet, your source of information!

Reactions: The Learner

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, but you are in a [sic] all out attempt to debunk the Deity of Christ, on Google, YouTube, everywhere, our blessed Lord and great God is under attack.
Are you familiar with Hebrew and Koine Greek?
And would you consider yourself a scholar?
I just might take the bait [de-baite]
I don't recall that I have ever used "YouTube, everywhere" to show the truth of the trinity doctrine.
I doubt you will honestly examine and comment on my study of John 1:1c. You have ignored that challenge so many times on this thread already ....

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I don't recall that I have ever used "YouTube, everywhere" to show the truth of the trinity doctrine.
I doubt you will honestly examine and comment on my study of John 1:1c. You have ignored that challenge so many times on this thread already ....
As far as I recall I asked you a couple questions, none answered.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"The most likely candidate for θεός is qualitative. This is true both grammatically (for the largest proportion of pre-verbal anarthrous predicate nominatives fall into this category) and theologically (both the theology of the Fourth Gospel and of the NT as a whole). There is a balance between the Word’s deity, which was already present in the beginning (ἐν ἀρχῇ … θεὸς ἦν [1:1], and his humanity, which was added later (σὰρξ ἐγένετο [1:14]). The grammatical structure of these two statements mirrors each other; both emphasize the nature of the Word, rather than his identity. But θεός was his nature from eternity (hence, εἰμὶ is used), while σάρξ was added at the incarnation (hence, γίνομαι is used).

Such an option does not at all impugn the deity of Christ. Rather, it stresses that, although the person of Christ is not the person of the Father, their essence is identical. Possible translations are as follows: “What God was, the Word was” (NEB), or “the Word was divine” (a modified Moffatt). In this second translation, “divine” is acceptable only if it is a term that can be applied only to true deity."
Ditto man