'The Word was make flesh' - 'and dwelt among us'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:26 "And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth," now are you saying that the angel Gabriel got it wrong when he was sent by God? if so, then you're saying God don't know what time of the year it is. well, I believe the bible.
I'm not saying none of these things that you are saying, but what I'm saying is that, I understand what the these scriptures refer to during the times.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not saying none of these things that you are saying, but what I'm saying is that, I understand what the these scriptures refer to during the times.
First thanks for your reply, and second, I understand what you're saying also, (but the time you are asserting is not adding up with what God said). I cannot deny when specific in, in, in, times are given by God, to believe what as you said, "these scriptures refer to during the times". when God give specific time about a "time" of those days I cannot ignore them.

now, listen to me real Good, I have nothing aganist anyone celebrating any holiday, or days, on anyday, or days. because the supremacy in Christ Jesus puts all these things under our feet. this, of these things I have no problem with. but what I do have a problem with is when as we was discussing in another topic, when man change the truth of God into a lie, that's where I draw the line at. so celebrating the birth of christ on December 25th, or June 1st. make no difference to me. but when men contridict the bible, I will not accept such nonesense as truth.

Now, if one's NEW FOUND data is collaborate by the Word of God, I have no problem with that... GREAT. the foundations of TRUTH is confirmed. but if this NEW FOUND data contridict the Word of God, .......... then it's dung to me.

but let me conclude this post this way, if you perfer to believe what you read from men, (with if) in their writing, instead of what God said, "THAT'S YOUR CHOICE". and I'll leave it that way.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First thanks for your reply, and second, I understand what you're saying also, (but the time you are asserting is not adding up with what God said). I cannot deny when specific in, in, in, times are given by God, to believe what as you said, "these scriptures refer to during the times". when God give specific time about a "time" of those days I cannot ignore them.

now, listen to me real Good, I have nothing aganist anyone celebrating any holiday, or days, on anyday, or days. because the supremacy in Christ Jesus puts all these things under our feet. this, of these things I have no problem with. but what I do have a problem with is when as we was discussing in another topic, when man change the truth of God into a lie, that's where I draw the line at. so celebrating the birth of christ on December 25th, or June 1st. make no difference to me. but when men contridict the bible, I will not accept such nonesense as truth.

Now, if one's NEW FOUND data is collaborate by the Word of God, I have no problem with that... GREAT. the foundations of TRUTH is confirmed. but if this NEW FOUND data contridict the Word of God, .......... then it's dung to me.

but let me conclude this post this way, if you perfer to believe what you read from men, (with if) in their writing, instead of what God said, "THAT'S YOUR CHOICE". and I'll leave it that way.

PICJAG
I don't know your name, but thanks for your input.

Walter

Reactions: 101G

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP again,
December the 25th (as I understand it) is celebratory of the fact that 'The Word was made flesh', in Mary's womb, as announced by the angel Gabriel (Luke 1:26-38 & Matthew 1:18-25). He had yet to actually be born, thereby 'tabernacle' ie., 'dwell among us', nine months later, on September 28th of the following year (Luke 2:1-21). Both events are momentous, and need separate consideration to fully appreciate their depth.
this is very Important, as you said, momentous, God almighty came to man FACE to FACE, what a Powerful and as said, momentous occasion to have your creator, and maker looking you directly in the eye. what awesome time that was man finally alone with the angels seeing God in the flesh for the First time.

but to address your topic in another way, at christimas, and every day we should be in awesomeness with each other, as with God. yes the holiday day bring out the Goodness in us but this should not be for just one or two days out of the year. (good it is done), but needs are to meet daily. here we are one of the richest countries in the world and can't even agree on a measly $2,000 stimulus check to help the same people who helped this country be one of the richest countries in the world. that says a lot about this country and it religion in following christ. but yet the Leader can bailout or give big industry a stimulus check.

I'm reminded of what the LORD said in Amos 2:6 "Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Israel, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they sold the righteous for silver, and the poor for a pair of shoes;"

people in america are not worth the price of a shoe, even if it cost $2,000 dollars.

what a shame, and we, as american, went through the holiday without a shoe. so why celebrate a holiday, when you can sell your brother for less than the price of a shoe... God is right, Isaiah 1:14 "Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them." and when God begans to "HATE"... look out.

PICJAG

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Base12
@DPMartin
@Pearl
@101G
@Heart2Soul
@firstthings1st.

Hello there,

Thank you all for your contributions, links and comment. My source of information regarding the OP was the Appendix notes in my Bible.

* The Lord was 'begotten of the Holy Ghost' by Divine power on 1st Tebeth, or December 25th (Western time) and was born on the 15th of Ethanim (or Tisri), September 29th in the year following (4BC).

* The 15th of Ethanim (or Tisri) was the first day of the feast of Tabernacles. The circumcision therefore took place on the 8th day of the Feast = 22nd Ethanim = October 6-7 9 (Leviticus 23:33-43). The 'great day of the feast' (John 7:37).

Jewish Months
1) Abib or Nissan = April (Exodus.23:15/Nehemiah.2:1)
14th day = Passover;
16th day = Firstfruits of Barley Harvest presented.​
2) Zif = May (1 Kings 6:1)
14th day = Second Passover, for those who could not keep the first​
3) Sivan = June (Esther 8:9)
6th day = Pentecost, or feast of weeks;
Firstfruits of Wheat harvest, and
Firstfruits of all the ground.​
4) Thammuz = July
5) Ab. = August
6) Elul = September (Nehemiah 6:15)
7) Tisri or Ethanim = October (1 Kings 8:2)
1st - Feast of Trumpets;
10th day - Feast of Atonement;
15th day - Feast of Tabernacles;
First-fruits of Wine and oil.​
8) Bul. = November (1 Kings 6:38)
9) Chisleu = December (Zechariah 7:1)
25th day - Feast of Dedication​
10) Tebeth = January (Esther 2:16)
11) Shebat = February (Zechariah 1:7)
12) Adar = March (Esther 3:7;Ezra 6:15)
14th and 15th days - Feast of Parim​
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* The birth of our Lord was revealed to the shepherds by the Archangel Michael on the 15th of Tisri (or Ethanim), corresponding to September 29 in (4 B.C.) (Luke 2:18-21). Eight days (v.21) before 'the great day of the feast', which is the last day of the feast of Tabernacles.

* I can see no point in trying to prove these points, or in getting into debate about it, which could lead to disagreement. For it is sufficient that we ponder these things, and then lay them before the Lord Who knows all things. For Scripture simply gives us clues as to these times, but no absolute date. So we should leave it there.

* @Pearl, the feast of Tabernacles is a wonderful time for our Lord to be born, isn't it? For as 'Emmanuel' ('God with us') He had come to 'tabernacle' among His People, Israel. I have yet to properly look at your links I'm afraid, for I have not been able to look at the screen for too long, as it has made me feel sick.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
* @Pearl, the feast of Tabernacles is a wonderful time for our Lord to be born, isn't it? For as 'Emmanuel' ('God with us') He had come to 'tabernacle' among His People, Israel. I have yet to properly look at your links I'm afraid, for I have not been able to look at the screen for too long, as it has made me feel sick.

One of the things I read in one of the links, says that the feast of tabernacles celebrates the coming out of captivity in Egypt and I thought if it is true then the fact that Jesus was born on the first day of the feast is symbolic of his mission to free captives also.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the things I read in one of the links, says that the feast of tabernacles celebrates the coming out of captivity in Egypt and I thought if it is true then the fact that Jesus was born on the first day of the feast is symbolic of his mission to free captives also.
So many comparisons to find!

Reactions: charity

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there,

Considering December the 25th and the use made of it by Christendom to celebrate the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ, the wonderful fact that He was actually born on the first day of the Feast of Tabernacles, and the significance of that, is lost to the majority of believers.

December the 25th (as I understand it) is celebratory of the fact that 'The Word was made flesh', in Mary's womb, as announced by the angel Gabriel (Luke 1:26-38 & Matthew 1:18-25). He had yet to actually be born, thereby 'tabernacle' ie., 'dwell among us', nine months later, on September 28th of the following year (Luke 2:1-21). Both events are momentous, and need separate consideration to fully appreciate their depth.

'And the Word was made flesh,
and dwelt among us,
(2 separate events)
(and we beheld His glory,
the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)
full of grace and truth.'

(John 1:14)

By not acknowledging the fact that the Lord Jesus Christ was born on the first day of the feast of Tabernacles (Leviticus 23:33-44), I believe we are missing out on the full significance of this fact. That significance is one that I cannot share, because I do not yet fully understand it myself, so am reluctant to put my thoughts down without having fully considered the feast of tabernacles and it's significance as one of the Old Testament types and shadows of Christ. However, I think of the word Immanuel, which means 'God with us', and that alone is mind blowing.

If you do understand the significance of this fact yourself, please share your knowledge with me.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus

Hey Chris! How are you doing? I hope your Holidays were filled with joy.

"December the 25th (as I understand it) is celebratory of the fact that 'The Word was made flesh', in Mary's womb, as announced by the angel Gabriel (Luke 1:26-38 & Matthew 1:18-25)" So you are saying Jesus was conceived by The Holy Spirit in December? How interesting as , Christs birth, as you said, occurred on the 1st day of the Feast Of Tabernacles" which, yes, late-ish September of that next year He was brought into this world in flesh.

@2ndTimothy and I were inboxing about when John the Baptist was conceived and, he gave good scriptures and they too line up to when Christ was born! He could explain them better than I at this time.
happy new year :)
xx
nancy

Luke 2:21 "And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb."

There is a reason I looked that verse up but..I don't remember now...poof, gone...like the wind! :eek:

Reactions: charity

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He was actually born on the first day of the Feast of Tabernacles, and the significance of that, is lost to the majority of believers.
There is no hard evidence regarding this. However, it is reasonable to believe that Christ was born in early September, not late December.

The Feast of Tabernacles was on the 15th day of the 7th month of the Hebrew calendar. That would be the 15th of Tishri, or the 15th of September (the 9th month) in our calendar. Others have postulated that it could have been September 11. So the best we can surmise is that Christ was born in early September. This would allow for the travel of Joseph, Mary, and Jesus to Bethlehem (and then to Egypt), the travel of the magi from either Iran or Arabia to Jerusalem, and the shepherds being out in the fields at that time.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Maybe this comparison

Christianity and Israel

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The birth of our Lord was revealed to the shepherds by the Archangel Michael on the 15th of Tisri (or Ethanim), corresponding to September 29 in (4 B.C.) (Luke 2:18-21). Eight days (v.21) before 'the great day of the feast', which is the last day of the feast of Tabernacles.

where do it say that in Luke 2?

PICJAG

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@charity, my sister, thanks for the reply, but lets look at this from the bible. the Lord Jesus was born more near, the Second Passover, or Pentecost. listen. using your chart, mary's cousin Elizabeth was already 6 months pregnant with John. and this was the month of Elul Aug -Sep. and when angel gabriel appears to mary it was six month, listen, Luke 1:26 "And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,"
Luke 1:27 "To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary."

now to be sure of Elizabeth, Luke 1:36 "And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren."

so in the month of Elul, was the conception of the Lord Jesus. now counting from Elul Aug-Sep, the sixth month, that would be, around Sivan or may-june, right around the Second Passover, and or Pentecost.

and I agree with what you said,
I can see no point in trying to prove these points, or in getting into debate about it, which could lead to disagreement. For it is sufficient that we ponder these things, and then lay them before the Lord Who knows all things. For Scripture simply gives us clues as to these times, but no absolute date. So we should leave it there.
I agree, but the bible do give us clues. and they are clear.

but as said, no argument out of me, I must follow the scriptures.

PICJAG

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
where do it say that in Luke 2?

PICJAG
'And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field,
keeping watch over their flock by night.
And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them,
and the glory of the Lord shone round about them:
and they were sore afraid.
And the angel said unto them,
Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy,
which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you;
Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host
praising God, and saying,
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'

(Luke 2:8-14)

Hello @101G,

Yes, I know that in this case I am making an assumption, and that is not something I would normally entertain, but in this case I believe it to be justified, that the angel that made the announcement to the Shepherds was the Archangel Michael, for he is the angel associated with Israel as a nation (Daniel 12:1). He was accompanied by a multitude of the heavenly host.

Why do I say that this took place on the first day of the feast of Tabernacles? Because of what is said Luke 2:21:-

'And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child,
His name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before He was conceived in the womb.'

* Both facts in this verse are noteworthy, aren't they?
(1) eight days following was the great day of the feast, when I believe the Lord was circumcised, and
(2) also that the Lord was named JESUS by the angel Gabriel before He was conceived in the womb.

* There is the presenting of the babe at the temple, and the testimonies of Simeon and Anna too Luke 2:22-38. When did that take place? After the seven-days of purification for Mary following giving birth (Leviticus 12:2-6). On the eighth day the circumcision took place (Luke 2:27). Followed immediately by their departure to Nazareth (Luke 2:39).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

@charity
my sister, thanks for the reply, but lets look at this from the bible. the Lord Jesus was born more near, the Second Passover, or Pentecost. listen. using your chart, mary's cousin Elizabeth was already 6 months pregnant with John. and this was the month of Elul Aug -Sep. and when angel gabriel appears to mary it was six month, listen, Luke 1:26 "And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,"
Luke 1:27 "To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary."

now to be sure of Elizabeth, Luke 1:36 "And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren."

so in the month of Elul, was the conception of the Lord Jesus. now counting from Elul Aug-Sep, the sixth month, that would be, around Sivan or may-june, right around the Second Passover, and or Pentecost.

and I agree with what you said,

I agree, but the bible do give us clues. and they are clear.

but as said, no argument out of me, I must follow the scriptures.

PICJAG
Hello @101G,

Yes, praise God! You must follow the Scriptures, I agree :)

There are tantalising possible routes to take in order to come to a conclusion about this, such as that of Zacharias, the Priest, and the course of Abib, etc., as well as that which you have quoted. However I do not believe I am capable of such calculations. I have looked at the calculations and reasonings of such as the writer of 'The Chronology of the Old Testament', Dr Floyd Nolen Jones, who covers these matters in detail, but to actually work them out myself, no I cannot. For apart from the fact that I am hopeless with figures, there are so many variables to consider: and even he had to conclude that after all his reasonings and dating's no absolute date could be arrived at.

So, please allow me to leave this dating in God's hands, and the date and time of the Lord's birth with Him, and acknowledge that I cannot prove from Scripture that what I have said regarding the dating of the Lord's birth is true, but that I believe it is worthy of consideration.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I know that in this case I am making an assumption, and that is not something I would normally entertain, but in this case I believe it to be justified, that the angel that made the announcement to the Shepherds was the Archangel Michael, for he is the angel associated with Israel as a nation (Daniel 12:1). He was accompanied by a multitude of the heavenly host.

Why do I say that this took place on the first day of the feast of Tabernacles? Because of what is said Luke 2:21:-

'And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child,
His name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before He was conceived in the womb.'

* Both facts in this verse are noteworthy, aren't they?
(1) eight days following was the great day of the feast, when I believe the Lord was circumcised, and
(2) also that the Lord was named JESUS by the angel Gabriel before He was conceived in the womb.

* There is the presenting of the babe at the temple, and the testimonies of Simeon and Anna too Luke 2:22-38. When did that take place? After the seven-days of purification for Mary following giving birth (Leviticus 12:2-6). On the eighth day the circumcision took place (Luke 2:27). Followed immediately by their departure to Nazareth (Luke 2:39).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
First thank you for the reply, yes, that's only an assumption, but we cannot go on assumption. there is no day of the feast of Tabernacles when he was circumcise?
they only presenting of the babe at the temple to be circumcise, is all mothers and fathers do when their "First" male child was eight years onld. and the only occasion mention in Luke 2 is when he was 12 years old. Luke 2:41 "Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover."
Luke 2:42 "And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast."
so the only feast mention in Luke 2 was of the passover, and he was 12 then....

now as said, if anything according to the months provided by the angel gabriel, when he appears to Mary it was IN the six month, Elul Aug Sep. and she, Mary, went and visit her cousin who was six month pregent, and Mary herself was pregnant when she went, supportive scripture, Luke 1:39 "And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;"
Luke 1:40 "And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth."
Luke 1:41 "And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:"
Luke 1:42 "And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb." the fruit of here womb, Mary, tells us that she was pregnant. so count nine months from Elul, what you get? Sivan around May June exactly when shephard are out in the field with there flock.

Please I understand your Passion for this, but as you agreed, we must go with what the bible says, and not assumption. for assumption will lead us in the ditch, and that's no good.

Yes, praise God! You must follow the Scriptures, I agree :)

There are tantalising possible routes to take in order to come to a conclusion about this, such as that of Zacharias, the Priest, and the course of Abib, etc., as well as that which you have quoted. However I do not believe I am capable of such calculations. I have looked at the calculations and reasonings of such as the writer of 'The Chronology of the Old Testament', Dr Floyd Nolen Jones, who covers these matters in detail, but to actually work them out myself, no I cannot. For apart from the fact that I am hopeless with figures, there are so many variables to consider: and even he had to conclude that after all his reasonings and dating's no absolute date could be arrived at.

there you have it, "and even he had to conclude that after all his reasonings and dating's no absolute date could be arrived at". so as said, go with what God said, and yes you are capable of such calculations. God gave you a Good brain as with everyone else. but as you said, "There are tantalising possible", yes, but now it's time to get over the tingle... (smile), and stay in the Word of God and what it says... ok.

be blessed in the Lord,

PICJAG