There is a dispute

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
KJV Hebrews 1
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Tyndale‘s translation says that the Son is the ―very image of God‘s ―substance. This is in contrast to the formulators of the KJV who translated hupostasis as ―person. The earlier translation is much clearer to us today than the KJV. It shows exactly what Paul meant by his use of hupostasis. It is referring to God‘s very (inner) being (what God is). It is that which makes God God. It is His substructure. Unfortunately today, when we say person, we simply think of this as the entirety of a human being when in fact it can mean the actual self or personality (inner nature/being) of a human being. Other translations also make it very clear. They translate this phrase as ―…the exact representation of His nature …New American Standard Bible ―
…the very stamp of his nature…Revised Standard Version ―
…the very image of his substance...American Standard Version ―
…an exact representation of his very being…Rotherham Bible ―
…the flawless expression of the nature of God…J. B. Phillips translation ―
…stamped with God's own character Moffatt translation ―
…the exact representation of His being…
Weymouth translation

By saying that Christ was the express image of God‘s inner person (nature/being), Paul was saying everything that God is (in His nature) so is the Son (in His nature). This expression therefore (express image of God‘s person) means that Christ is a visible representation of the inner person/character/being of the invisible God. This is why Jesus told Philip (when Philip asked Him to reveal the Father) ―…Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:9
Then Paul said this...
―Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? Hebrews 1:4-5 Angels have a superior nature to that of humanity (Hebrews 2:7, 2:9, 2:16, 2 Peter 2:11). Paul is saying here that Christ‘s nature, in His pre-existence, is far superior to that of the angels. This was not referring to Christ‘s human nature during the incarnation. That was fallen human nature (Romans 8:3, Hebrews 2:16). Christ‘s pre-existent nature is divine. His attributes are those of deity. This was His inheritance as a son. The attributes of the angels are not those of deity. Angels are created. They did not receive their nature as an inheritance. The question posed here by Paul invites a negative response. God has never said to any of the angels ―Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee therefore no single angel has the title the Son of God. When reasoned through, it is not possible that God could have spoken these words to an angel. This is because the angels are not begotten but created. God created them through His Son (John 1:3, Colossians 1:16, Hebrews 1:2). The Son therefore was begotten before the angels were created. Christ is the only begotten of God. This is why He is an only son. And why He is God.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is why He is an only son. And why He is God.
But you missed teh whole point.

Joh_1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

because Christ was the first of many sons, the first of the new creation, God hasnt changed He has never changed thats why they are not one, they are one in that they are fully in agreement, but since christians cant seem to agree with Jesus, well we see what happens

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Heb_2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Literally the NT Greek manuscripts read at Heb. 1:8: “Toward but the son the throne of you the god into the age of the age.”

There is evidence that the proper translation of Heb. 1:8 (as well as Ps. 45:6) should be “your throne is God forever” or “God is your throne forever.”

And yet we find that nearly all Bibles use ONLY the trinitarian-preferred translation ('your throne, O God, is forever'). For example, all 60 entries for Heb. 1:8 at BibleGateway use only this interpretation! https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Hebrews%201:8

Oxford professor and famed trinitarian Bible translator, Dr. James Moffatt, was described as “probably the greatest biblical scholar of our day.” His Bible translation renders Heb. 1:8 as:

God is thy throne for ever and ever.”

University of Cambridge professor and noted New Testament language scholar, Dr. C. F. D. Moule reluctantly admits that Heb. 1:8 may conceivably be “construed so as to mean Thy throne is God- p. 32, An Idiom Book of New Testament Greek, Cambridge University Press, 1990 printing.

An American Translation (Smith-Goodspeed), renders it: “God is your throne....” And The Bible in Living English (Byington) reads: “God is your throne....” The Message reads: “Your throne is God’s throne….” NSB - "God is your throne" Mace - "God is thy throne….” Twentieth Century Translation - ‘God is thy throne….’

Noted NT scholar Dr. William Barclay, in his translation of the New Testament, has also rendered Hebrews 1:8 as : “God is your throne for ever and ever.”

Famed trinitarian (Southern Baptist) New Testament Greek scholar Dr. A. T. Robertson acknowledges that either “Thy throne, O God” orGod is thy throne” may be proper renderings: “Either makes good sense.” - p. 339, Word Pictures in the New Testament, Vol. V.

Since this is admitted by even a few respected trinitarian scholars and translators, it is certainly not a proof for Jesus being equally God.
John 1 The Word was God!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But you missed teh whole point.

Joh_1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

because Christ was the first of many sons, the first of the new creation, God hasnt changed He has never changed thats why they are not one, they are one in that they are fully in agreement, but since christians cant seem to agree with Jesus, well we see what happens

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Heb_2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
I haven't missed anything. Jesus wasn't just any son. Nor one of many. He was the only begotten Son of God. He was Son before Bethlehem. He was Son when He created all things and rested on His holy Sabbath day, becoming Lord of that day. He was Son when He stood upon Mt Sinai and spoke to Moses. He was Son when He appeared as the angel and stood before Joshua. He was the Son when He appeared with two angels and spoke to Abraham concerning Sodom.
"Whosoever denies the Son, the same has not the Father: he that acknowledges the Son, has the Father also." 1 John 2:23

Reactions: Heart2Soul

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I haven't missed anything. Jesus wasn't just any son. Nor one of many. He was the only begotten Son of God. He was Son before Bethlehem. He was Son when He created all things and rested on His holy Sabbath day, becoming Lord of that day. He was Son when He stood upon Mt Sinai and spoke to Moses. He was Son when He appeared as the angel and stood before Joshua. He was the Son when He appeared with two angels and spoke to Abraham concerning Sodom.
"Whosoever denies the Son, the same has not the Father: he that acknowledges the Son, has the Father also." 1 John 2:23
The only ones denying the Son are those who claim He is the father. Why not just write the whole bible without Jesus since According to you He is just a lie, becsuse it was all God who decevec the world and did it Himself.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The only ones denying the Son are those who claim He is the father. Why not just write the whole bible without Jesus since According to you He is just a lie, becsuse it was all God who decevec the world and did it Himself.
How can it have been the Father who appeared to men at various stages of history when Jesus Himself said, no one has seen the Father at any time? It was Jesus, the Son of God, who stood upon Mt Sinai and gave the law to Moses. Who allowed Moses to see a small glimpse of His back parts, but not His face, and even then Moses face shone that no-one else could look at it. What Moses saw was Divine. But not the Father. The Rock and the Cloud that followed Israel was Christ.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was Jesus, the Son of God, who stood upon Mt Sinai and gave the law to Moses.
Man what planet where you born on, so blind..

Exo 33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
Exo 33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
Exo 33:23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Its no wonder why so many are leaving christianty ...