They are without excuse

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 1:20 Lexicon: For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

Who are they? In “they are without excuse? As it goes on, it says the “they” are those who know His attributes but practice exchange his attributes for an image…not only doing the attributes that lead to death but approving of those who do them by what themselves do?

The Invisible attributes, His Divine Nature clearly seen:

Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love
If these attributes be in you and increasing they make you not unfruitful in the knowledge of Christ.

Romans 1:21 Lexicon: For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

They did not honor Him with their bodies:
Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. [2] And be not conformed to this world: but be you transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

But exchanging His attributes and their hearts darkened…he who lacks these (His) attributes is blind…they became futile (vain) in their speculations

Romans 1:23 Lexicon: and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.

And exchange the image(the attributes) of the incorruptible God, for the image (attributes) of in the form of corruptible man.

Unrighteousness
Wickedness
greed
Evil
Full of envy
Murder
Strife
Deceit
Malice
They are gossips
Slanderers
Haters of God
Violent
Arrogant
Boastful
Disobedience to Parents
Without understanding
Untrustworthy
Unmerciful

Therefore God gave them over to the lust (desires) of their hearts to impurity (not to the incorruptible man, but to the corruptible image of the form of a man.) so their bodies would be dishonored among them. I beseech you therefore, brethren, —by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

So they are without excuse
Knowing these things are not increasing His attributes and Divine Nature…but lead to death not only do they (without excuse) do the same but they also heartedly approve of those who do. So they (who practice; Unrighteousness, Wickedness, greed, Evil, Full of envy, Murder, Strife, Deceit, Malice, They are gossips, Slanderers, Haters of God, Violent, Arrogant, Boastful, Disobedience to Parents, Without understanding, Untrustworthy, Unmerciful

They Are without excuse —who pass judgment on others for what they do themselves and therefore condemn themselves. Judges of the attributes that should be increasing:
Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love

They approve instead and exchange His attributes and condemn themselves by what they approve (the attributes of lust and death) as being His attributes.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The Invisible attributes,

Creation, proves there is a Creator.

He is showing them that ..."Just look around..see all that is CREATED..... its didn't create itself".

See those Stars, that Sun, those Oceans, that Moon, the AIR YOU BREATH< the RAIN, the GRASS, the Mountains, the Sky....

SEE ALL THAT PROOF ???

A.) Yes you do see it...... you are standing on it.

Reactions: David in NJ

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Creation, proves there is a Creator.

He is showing them that ..."Just look around..see all that is CREATED..... its didn't create itself".

See those Stars, that Sun, those Oceans, that Moon, the AIR YOU BREATH< the RAIN, the GRASS, the Mountains, the Sky....

SEE ALL THAT PROOF ???

A.) Yes you do see it...... you are standing on it.
I get what you said and don’t disagree with seeing Him in the things around us. Yet while there is beauty there is also imperfection also. A harshness about what is displayed where we see beauty there is also tsunamis, tornados, floods, forest fires, the earth growing more and more unstable by our waste. But also in the animal kingdom of the sickly and weak consumed by the strong. A struggle for seed and survival of species. Even the instability of the atmosphere. Not to mention disease and plagues and famine and poverty. But to me that isn’t what the passages speaks of in they are without excuse but “bodies” and the attributes of the body. Saying what is changed or exchanged are attributes called His Divine nature which belong to the depraved mind. It doesn’t to me say they look at the beauty of a sunset or the tides of the sea and are without excuse in passing judgment on those who practice such things and thereby approving of those heartedly who practice the attributes that are not His attributes, by doing (practicing) those attributes themselves they condemn themselves.

To me it doesn’t say they are without excuse because they don’t practice the beauty of the creation they see and behold, but they don’t model (His attributes) the creator and honor Him who is worthy to be thanked with their bodies. When it says they exchanged His attributes for the image of …the list are unclean animals. Does this not speak of attributes still? Taking the attributes of God and Turning them in to the attributes of man beneath, of beasts, and of creeping things (for example these creep into silly women’s houses and laden with sins, led away by lust)… again he tells what lust is and what the attributes are. No better of “they are without excuse” then Jesus Christ showed the attributes of The Father on the cross while men showed their attributes in killing Him.

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I get what you said and don’t disagree with seeing Him in the things around us. Yet while there is beauty there is also imperfection also. A harshness about what is displayed

Some people see a glass half filled with water as 'half full", others see it as "half empty".

But, all see it as a Glass with water in it.

Also, if the unbelievers are to believe in God, based on ::::Christian's behavior:::::, on Forums, then they will all surely go to Hell.
Without a doubt.

Its a good thing that very few unbelievers come to a "christian forum" as if they did, all they would see is disagreement, deceit, and strife... they would think...."that is God's people'. !!!!!!!

= YUCK.... "i'll pass".... "better to be a king in hell then to be a servant slave in heaven"....etc, etc.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people see a glass half filled with water as 'half full", others see it as "half empty".

But, all see it as a Glass with water in it.

Also, if the unbelievers are to believe in God, based on ::::Christian's behavior:::::, on Forums, then they will all surely go to Hell.
Without a doubt.

Its a good thing that very few unbelievers come to a "christian forum" as if they did, all they would see is disagreement, deceit, and strife... they would think...."that is God's people'. !!!!!!!

= YUCK.... "i'll pass".... "better to be a king in hell then to be a servant slave in heaven"....etc, etc.
Agree it is scary what is called or said to be Christ in Christian. Like you mentioned even here. The reason I’m studying this passage about attributes is because I asked Him yesterday “why, why is it so important to do or practice His attributes even if it is never received.” I’m not saying I do. But I was asking what is the point in all of this suffering to be more like Him and less like me? Then this morning the verse of the day helped “the just shall live by faith” which led into a study of His attributes. To me it helped with why Christ was crucified. To prove what is acceptable unto God (the attributes of Christ), because God said He accepted Christ… and to disprove what is not acceptable which was the attributes towards Him in killing Him.

Reactions: Mr E

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
“the just shall live by faith”

The Justified "in Christ"...., now have eternal life, because God accepted their Faith in Christ.

"shall live". = Made alive "in Christ", born again because by being born again we are joined to the One who Himself is Eternal Life.

"I am The Way, The Truth, The Life"......."I have come to give you LIFE, and that more abundantly"..

"I am THE Resurrection and The LIFE".

All by Faith = God saved them through their faith.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
“the just shall live by faith”

1.) The JUSTIFIED shall live by faith.......because God has redeemed them through Their Faith

2.) The Justified are to Live by faith, not by sight

3.) " the just (justified by the Cross of Christ ) shall live by faith".. = ""I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me. And the life which I now live in the flesh, i live by the faith of the Son of God..

=. "Jesus is the author and finisher of our FAITH....::

= """"I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.""

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 1:20 Lexicon: For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

Who are they? In “they are without excuse? As it goes on, it says the “they” are those who know His attributes but practice exchange his attributes for an image…not only doing the attributes that lead to death but approving of those who do them by what themselves do?

Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love
If these attributes be in you and increasing they make you not unfruitful in the knowledge of Christ.

Romans 1:21 Lexicon: For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. [2] And be not conformed to this world: but be you transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

But exchanging His attributes and their hearts darkened…he who lacks these (His) attributes is blind…they became futile (vain) in their speculations

Romans 1:23 Lexicon: and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.

And exchange the image(the attributes) of the incorruptible God, for the image (attributes) of in the form of corruptible man.

Unrighteousness
Wickedness
greed
Evil
Full of envy
Murder
Strife
Deceit
Malice
They are gossips
Slanderers
Haters of God
Violent
Arrogant
Boastful
Disobedience to Parents
Without understanding
Untrustworthy
Unmerciful

Therefore God gave them over to the lust (desires) of their hearts to impurity (not to the incorruptible man, but to the corruptible image of the form of a man.) so their bodies would be dishonored among them. I beseech you therefore, brethren, —by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Knowing these things are not increasing His attributes and Divine Nature…but lead to death not only do they (without excuse) do the same but they also heartedly approve of those who do. So they (who practice; Unrighteousness, Wickedness, greed, Evil, Full of envy, Murder, Strife, Deceit, Malice, They are gossips, Slanderers, Haters of God, Violent, Arrogant, Boastful, Disobedience to Parents, Without understanding, Untrustworthy, Unmerciful

They Are without excuse —who pass judgment on others for what they do themselves and therefore condemn themselves. Judges of the attributes that should be increasing:
Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love

They approve instead and exchange His attributes and condemn themselves by what they approve (the attributes of lust and death) as being His attributes.
They, would be those of 2 Thes 1:6-9

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The target audience of Romans is a group of Christian churches in Rome; some Jewish, some Gentile. The Gentile Christians look down on Jews as some weird ethnic group with strange traditions; the Jewish Christians look down on the Gentiles as johnny-come-lately-s who come from an idolatrous people who practice disgusting things and have no idea of what God wants from His people. The purpose of Romans 1:18 through 3:20 is to demonstrate the universal sinfulness of Humankind in order to destroy the pride that divides them and thus shape them into a single new identity as God's people. The verses in question belong to the section addressing Gentile pride. It's not about individuals. It's Humankind that has no excuse.

There. I've summarized all of Romans, its theme and purpose. The rest is just details.

Which is not to disagree with Victory's point regarding the imperfections of nature pointing away from a Divine Creator. This point is often used by atheists and agnostics to argue against the existence of God. Paul also seems to be saying in Romans 1:21-32 that Humankind's sinfulness (and in particular our sexual brokenness in verses 26-27) is God's ancestral punishment on us for our idolatry, for our forgetting Him. Then the question becomes, how can God hold us morally accountable for our sinful actions when He's the one who imprisoned us in "unfit minds" (verse 28)?

And yet it says we are without excuse.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the passage to read. A few things that stand out as questions for me is one to pay the penalty of not believing? As in the wages of sin is death. And also they (is this the they you mentioned the passage speaks of?) “they” have no more reward.

What is the penalty of not believing …is it that His attributes if they(theses things) be in you and are increasing are profitable in all things. As in these things increased, being multiplied Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love
make you fruitful in the knowledge of Christ. —is not believed? I think of OT when the question is asked “what profit is there in serving God with our bodies?” For me I can see “Faith” in Him is connected to faith in The attributes of God, seeking theses things, His kingdom first, where His attributes are supplied and increased (given of God where He list His attributes saying He has given everything pertaining to Life). I’m speaking only by opinion that it is hard in this world to consider His attributes are better because so much in this world roars “no, no these attributes, that the world gives, teaches, are stronger and will sustain you”. To believe His attributes if they be in you and increasing brings forth fruit unto Life by Christ, able to make you stand and not be ashamed …to me it is the conflict of all I used to do throughout forty-plus years that now I am ashamed of…then hearing if you no longer want to be or end ashamed seek His attributes which are able to make you not ashamed being not fruit unto death, but fruit unto Life. Some where in an earlier post I admitted I’m struggling with that same question of why is it important to have His attributes? The passage you gave to me speaks also on his attributes of those who believed and will be admired not in their own attributes of death but in the attributes of Life. Believing Him In His Attributes can indeed by Christ make you not ashamed at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwb

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love

Unrighteousness
Wickedness
greed
Evil
Full of envy
Murder
Strife
Deceit
Malice
They are gossips
Slanderers
Haters of God
Violent
Arrogant
Boastful
Disobedience to Parents
Without understanding
Untrustworthy
Unmerciful

Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love

Are you ready? This water gets deep quickly.

Paul is trying to explain spiritual concepts- and it isn't easy because our natural minds focus on natural (physical) things and not spiritual truth. I love this letter to the Romans-- it's so full of truth, -spiritual truth- and while Paul does explain these things in detail, people gloss over important principles and essentially 'explain away' the things he is revealing to them.

In his intro to this letter he refers to 'the gospel (good news) of God-- and says he writes concerning his son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead...

That's a lot right there. Paul states that Jesus was the physical son, or 'seed' of David (according to the flesh) and the son of God- (according to the spirit). Right from the start he is making a distinction and drawing attention to two different natures-- the earthly, physical nature and the heavenly, spiritual nature. Can you look up and down at the same time? It's a matter of practicality. We cannot. We can focus on one, but to do so you lose sight of the other. You can only examine one nature at a time. And that's what Paul is doing here in this letter. To really grasp what he is saying, we have to do the same.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get what you said and don’t disagree with seeing Him in the things around us. Yet while there is beauty there is also imperfection also. A harshness about what is displayed where we see beauty there is also tsunamis, tornados, floods, forest fires, the earth growing more and more unstable by our waste. But also in the animal kingdom of the sickly and weak consumed by the strong. A struggle for seed and survival of species. Even the instability of the atmosphere. Not to mention disease and plagues and famine and poverty. But to me that isn’t what the passages speaks of in they are without excuse but “bodies” and the attributes of the body. Saying what is changed or exchanged are attributes called His Divine nature which belong to the depraved mind. It doesn’t to me say they look at the beauty of a sunset or the tides of the sea and are without excuse in passing judgment on those who practice such things and thereby approving of those heartedly who practice the attributes that are not His attributes, by doing (practicing) those attributes themselves they condemn themselves.

To me it doesn’t say they are without excuse because they don’t practice the beauty of the creation they see and behold, but they don’t model (His attributes) the creator and honor Him who is worthy to be thanked with their bodies. When it says they exchanged His attributes for the image of …the list are unclean animals. Does this not speak of attributes still? Taking the attributes of God and Turning them in to the attributes of man beneath, of beasts, and of creeping things (for example these creep into silly women’s houses and laden with sins, led away by lust)… again he tells what lust is and what the attributes are. No better of “they are without excuse” then Jesus Christ showed the attributes of The Father on the cross while men showed their attributes in killing Him.

If you are willing to consider-- "In the beginning, elohim (divine beings/spirit) created the heavens and the earth..." then you set your feet firmly on the path to understanding. It's a journey. But Paul makes it clear that this is exactly what he is talking about.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

That's the heart of the principle. Did you catch it? The indignation of God, or His disgust, or contempt for the idea is revealed against all the ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who hold the truth in unrighteousness. It's not that they don't have the truth. It's that they have the truth (inside them) and don't recognize it as such. What happened? How did this happen? "They exchanged the truth for lies."

They trade the divine glory for a mere image of corruptible flesh. And that's how our story in Genesis begins-- if you can see it too, as a spiritual truth and focus on that aspect for a moment, apart from any natural understanding.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You come near the fire here.... When focusing on the spiritual side and considering those things seen in spirit-- every spiritual attribute is expressed as an animal. This is a spiritual principle to be applied from Genesis to Revelation concerning things seen in spirit. Understanding this will change almost everything for you, because while these things seen in spirit are seen as spiritual animals above-- they are reflected below as human attributes-- that is, characteristics of men.

A lion seen above (in spirit) is seen as a mighty, majestic, powerful man, below. You have to make the association between the spiritual-animal attribute and the physical -human character-istic. A lamb, a dove, a snake, a donkey, a horse..... These all have particular attributes that we can associate with particular human attributes, concerning one's nature.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love

Unrighteousness
Wickedness
greed
Evil
Full of envy
Murder
Strife
Deceit
Malice
They are gossips
Slanderers
Haters of God
Violent
Arrogant
Boastful
Disobedience to Parents
Without understanding
Untrustworthy
Unmerciful

Diligence
Faith
Moral Excellence
Knowledge (of Christ)
Self-Control
godliness
Brotherly kindness
Love

This passage is talking about people that deny God, either the Father or the Son or both. They are either denying Jesus is the Christ or atheist.

Reactions: Cassandra

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You come near the fire here.... When focusing on the spiritual side and considering those things seen in spirit-- every spiritual attribute is expressed as an animal. This is a spiritual principle to be applied from Genesis to Revelation concerning things seen in spirit. Understanding this will change almost everything for you, because while these things seen in spirit are seen as spiritual animals above-- they are reflected below as human attributes-- that is, characteristics of men.

A lion seen above (in spirit) is seen as a mighty, majestic, powerful man, below. You have to make the association between the spiritual-animal attribute and the physical -human character-istic. A lamb, a dove, a snake, a donkey, a horse..... These all have particular attributes that we can associate with particular human attributes, concerning one's nature.
Thank you for this. Love
1 Kings 4:32: He also spoke 3,000 proverbs, and his songs were 1,005.

1 Kings 4:33: He spoke of trees, from the cedar that is in Lebanon even to the hyssop that grows on the wall; he spoke also of animals and birds and creeping things and fish.

1 Kings 4:34: Men came from all peoples to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all the kings of the earth who had heard of his wisdom.

Noticed the tree that is Lebanon, the hyssop that grows on the wall, and the beast, birds and creeping things and fish. But it wasn’t until reading it again this evening I noticed “songs” and “proverbs” mentioned. See these two natures in them also “songs” and “proverbs”. in how they are read or heard. (Imo) did Solomon know what he was speaking of concerning trees, Lebanon, beast, birds, creeping things, and fish? Or was he giving an animal kingdom pictorial?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"They" are the whole world of pagan and idolatrous religionists. Idolatry is embedded in every part of the world, and God says that they are all without excuse. At the same time He commands all men everywhere to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
Who are “they” in Romans 2:1: Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

what does that say to you?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who are "they"? Later in the same chapter:

17 But if you bear the name of "God's people" and rely upon the Bible and boast in God, 18 and know His will and approve the things that are essential, being instructed from the Bible, 19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20 a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of the immature, having in the Bible the embodiment of knowledge and of the truth, 21 you, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who are "they"? Later in the same chapter:

17 But if you bear the name of "God's people" and rely upon the Bible and boast in God, 18 and know His will and approve the things that are essential, being instructed from the Bible, 19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20 a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of the immature, having in the Bible the embodiment of knowledge and of the truth, 21 you, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself?
Thank you. I realize it was to the Romans. But to me it speaks closer to home. In daily life. Romans 2:1 Lexicon: Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

Im hearing that one has no excuse when they judge what is wrong or evil in others…and condemn it. therefore by their own judgement and condemnation upon others, they acknowledge it as wrong or evil. But then turn around and do the same wrong or evil. To me not having an excuse is that by their own judgment on one someone other than themselves they fully acknowledge what is wrong and evil; giving them no excuse to claim ignorance to what is wrong or evil. I do think that is in the verse you quoted also.