Third Temple

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Retrobyter said:
Shalom, Zeke.

That’s an interesting li’l tirade; however, the Scriptures STILL promise a third (and a fourth) Temple. Just because YOU don’t like it doesn’t mean that they won’t be built.
I'd be interested to know WHERE exactly in the scriptures this is promised?

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
zeke25 said:
I'm sorry, I came back.
No one asked you too.

zeke25 said:
I didn't see your Scripture that supports your mistaken eschatology. I guess you didn't write it loud enough.
I don't know if shouting will help you. As a matter of fact, I don't think it'll help you at all. Besides if you don't know where the Scripture is I referenced, you either shouldn't write at all, or you may just be so far past the pale that your interpretation just can't see it. And that is what I think is happening with you. You have your mind made up, and nothing is going to change it.

zeke25 said:
Apparently, you don't know what the abomination of desolation means. Luke 21:20, the abomination is an army surrounding Jerusalem, an army that will cause desolation.
Apparently, you don't know what I think, and from what you've told me, I know you haven't the faintest notion of what the siqquism mesomen is. And I'm at the point on this board of figuring out there are too many people who can spout off anything they want and they're not really interested in any real discussion - they just have agendas.

My agenda is to defend a literal interpretation of end-time prophecy. I allow other people to hold onto their quaint little notions if they so desire. I also notice fanatics rarely allow my side that latitude but instead, they attempt to destroy a literal interpretation and a reality-based approach to end-time prophecy. To those who want to destroy a literal faith: I rise in opposition.

zeke25 said:
You also don't know what the third temple is. It is the born again Christians.
That's a very quaint idea you have there old zeke, but it doesn't fit Ezekiel, nor does it align with Revelation 11:1-2. Your attempt to destroy isn't working for me. I have no problem thinking of us as figurative temples of the Lord, as it can be found in Scripture. Still, there is a physical structure which will house the talking image of a man, and you are not the Holy Place Jesus said in Mt 24:15.

Again, you know what I don't know! How quaint it is that you assume the power of God so as to know another's mind... How's that working out for you?

zeke25 said:
Daniel's 70th week expired right after the 69th week. There is no time gap between them.
Well that statement is simply in error because it ignores Daniel 9:26. Gabriel inserts the gap in time between the seven and sixty-two 'sevens' and the one 'seven'.

After the sixty- two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

The "end" here is the same end set in verse 27. Verse 27 uses Biblical parallel construction to explain a detailed portion that is important after a broad overview as is provided in verse 26. Let me examine it for the casual reader because your understanding will not change - you're pretty well set in the full Preterist mode with your dismissal of a "gap". (There are gaps in prophecy, all the time - try Isaiah 61:2 for one.)
  1. the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing - Jesus was crucified.
  2. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary - the first Jewish Rebellion of A.D. 67-70.
  3. War will continue until the end - we have had a perpetual state of war ever since: we are still in this gap period of time before God's Kingdom is established here on the earth as it is in Heaven.
The end mentioned in verse 26, is the same end of verse 27. So the gap is in the prophecy. You, being who you are, can't see it, or just won't see it.

zeke25 said:
The Jews do not need a temple in Jerusalem, nor will they ever get another one.
You should keep up with the news. Try clicking on that link. Oh, and they will. It's in the Bible!

zeke25 said:
You need to start studying your Bible and stop listening to the gospel of man preached by apostates and reprobates and churches.
I don't think you really know enough to tell me what I need, or what I know, or what I have been studying, or who I listen to.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There are a few HOLY PLACES right now in Jerusalem, and unless someone can SHOW what it is in scripture, nobody really knows.
The Holy Place is not the same as the MOST Holy Place, or the Holy of Holies, so assuming there will be a Temple in the future is just plain speculation. Most scholars agree it will NOT be a temple.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said "So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,' spoken of through the prophet Daniel..." Mt 24:15

Sorry Stan - it's THE Holy Place, not one of the few holy places. Jesus is not talking about some site people sentimentally attach their emotion to an historic event.

Bibilically, the Holy Place is defined in the Bible.

Exodus 26:30 "Set up the tabernacle according to the plan shown you on the mountain.
31 "Make a curtain of blue, purple and scarlet yarn and finely twisted linen, with cherubim woven into it by a skilled worker. 32 Hang it with gold hooks on four posts of acacia wood overlaid with gold and standing on four silver bases. 33 Hang the curtain from the clasps and place the ark of the covenant law behind the curtain. The curtain will separate the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place.

The Holy Place is defined first here and is mentioned many times after that. It is IN the Temple.

What Jesus said, Paul confirmed - the man of lawlessness sets himself up in the Temple. In Revelation, God through Jesus reveals to John that this abomination is a talking image.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Paul wrote:

2Th 2:3 Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

Paul agrees with what Jesus said, interpreted through Scripture in Exodus, Leviticus and Kings; taking a literal view of the Temple built by the Jews so they can perform their Jewish rituals.

This idol is not set in your mind, but in a building, a very specific building.

And what is this abomination spoken of by Daniel in 9;27? Jesus revealed it to John.

Rev 13:14 It (the second beast, the false prophet) ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived. 15 The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.

This idol, unlike any other, and as was always the point of the prophets about idols to note that they could not speak - speaks

This talking image of the anti-Christ, that beast of a man, the King of the North, the man of lawlessness, the little horn (he has many names) - is set up in the Temple in Jerusalem after the King of the North invades the Holy Land and encircles Jerusalem.

And this false prophet, himself a rabbi and having charge over the Temple as part of the Sanhedrin, sets up this idol, this terrible abomination, IN the Temple.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
We also have to keep in mind that Paul said WE, individually, are the Temple of the Holy Spirit, so it could also be an apostate Christian who ends up becoming the anti-Christ and causes this. All we do know for sure is that there is NO temple or Levite priesthood under the NEW covenant.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Figuratively we are the temple of the indwelling spirit.

However, in 2Th 2:3-4 Paul uses the brick and mortar term for a building which is used of the Temple in Jerusalem. This is not a figurative usage.

To insist on a figurative meaning to elude what the Word says despite the definition of "Holy Place" from Mt 24:15 found in Exodus and the corroboration by Paul to that seminal event from Daniel 9:27 is to be nothing other than argumentative and acts only to muddy the waters for any desiring to know how end-time prophecy stacks up consistently in Scripture.

Theses two NT references also align with the measuring of the Temple found in Rev 11:1-2. John never details his measurements. However, and interestingly enough, Ezekiel does denote a man measuring the Temple.
I put it to you, the reader, that Ezekiel witnessed John's fulfillment of God's command for him.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
. All we do know for sure is that there is NO temple or Levite priesthood under the NEW covenant.
This is a strawman argument. It's rationale is to stand on the Gospel and say, 'we don't need no building for sacrifice,' so any that look to a future physical Temple building in Jerusalem can be bullied and impugned as not being as "good" a Christian as they are.

It is a strawman argument because nobody on using literal interpretation says we need a Temple in which to worship the Lord. That's preposterous.

The plain fact is that the Bible says there will be a Temple and there is a perfectly rational and logical reason why one will be built!
The Jews do require a Temple to perform their OT rituals!

And if they ever trot out the Ark of the Covenant, the demand by the Jews will be so great that they'll agree to anything so as to get their Temple - which will be built in the first half of the one 'seven'.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 Cor 6:19-20
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Matt 24:1-2
Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings.“Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

There will be NO third temple.

keras

Writer of Bible study guides
Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Care to address these scriptures, StanJ?
There will be a third Temple and it will be greater than the first two. The Lord's holy people will build it. Zechariah 8:9
[SIZE=medium]The Third Temple – Beit HaMikdesh[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ezekiel 40,41 & 42 Ezekiel measures the future Temple and its precincts.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Ezekiel 43 to 48 Details of the Temple furnishings and the Land divisions, etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Haggai 2:6-9 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]In a little while, I shall shake the heavens, the earth, the sea and all the nations. I will fill this House with their treasures. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]This latter House will be greater than former.[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] In this place, I shall grant prosperity and peace. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][The Second Temple was not greater than Solomon’s Temple] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Zechariah 1:16-17[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] These are the words of the Lord; I have returned to Jerusalem with compassion, [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]My House is to be rebuilt there.[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] My cities will again brim with prosperity, once again the Lord will comfort Zion and make Jerusalem the city of His choice. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 Thess 2:3-4 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]The Return of Jesus cannot come until the man doomed to destruction is revealed and enthrones himself in [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]God’s Temple, [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]claiming to be God.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][What could be clearer than that? The Temple must be rebuilt before the Tribulation.][/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Daniel 9:27.[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]...He will put a stop to the sacrifices and offerings, then will set up an abomination in [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]the Holy place[/SIZE][SIZE=medium].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Malachi 3:1 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]I am about to send My messenger to clear a path before Me. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Suddenly, the Lord, whom you seek, will come into His Temple.[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] The messenger of the Covenant, whom you desire, will come to you.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Reference REB, NIV some verses abridged[/SIZE]

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
There will be NO third temple.
This is really kind of silly. You can't see how Adam and Eve got married by God. Now you can't see all the verses which point to a third Temple.

It doesn't matter what verses anyone shows you - you just repeat your mantra.

There will be a third Temple built during the one 'seven' (Rev 11:1-2) and it will house the abomination (Mt 24:36).

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
keras,

All of these scriptures are about the second Temple, despite your effort to obscure what they convey by adding your own remarks, not a third. They were all fulfilled before Jesus came. You apparently don't get the significance of the 2nd Temple being destroyed in 70AD as an indication that the OC had disappeared according to Jesus' prophecy and what Luke writes in Heb 8:13

2 Thess is about a human being becoming the anti-Christ, and obviously someone who is born again and has had the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Heb 6:4-6 shows this kind of apostasy CAN happen.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
StanJ,
Marcus pointed out Revelation 11:1-2, where John measures the Temple. This is a earthly Temple, as it will be given over to the Gentiles for 42 months.....

Please answer;
1/ when did John write Revelation, before or after 70AD?
2/ When did the 42 months take place.
3/ Who are the 2 witnesses?

Jesus said there would be many Anti-Christs, but prophecy describes one who will have great power and who will sit in the Temple. Something Titus didn't do.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
keras said:
StanJ,
Marcus pointed out Revelation 11:1-2, where John measures the Temple. This is a earthly Temple, as it will be given over to the Gentiles for 42 months.....

Please answer;
1/ when did John write Revelation, before or after 70AD?
2/ When did the 42 months take place.
3/ Who are the 2 witnesses?

Jesus said there would be many Anti-Christs, but prophecy describes one who will have great power and who will sit in the Temple. Something Titus didn't do.
I don't see Marcus' posts anymore since I put him on my ignore list.

John wrote Revelation on the Isle of Patmos around 95 AD.

2 and 3 haven't happened yet so how would I know?

Yes He did, and they were already manifesting themselves just after He left, as John Paul and Peter identified.

Now, FYI, there is an explanation in Hebrews 8:5 and 9:24, that would help you understand, IF you are willing to let go of your own flawed understanding. What John saw was that in Heaven, which obviously was NOT a physical representation, but a spiritual one.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
A real man in Jesus can handle adversity, criticism, and even condemnation because he knows he is not defined by his enemies, but only by God.

And God loves you just the way you are and too much to let you stay that way.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
What John saw was that in Heaven, which obviously was NOT a physical representation, but a spiritual one.
Why then, would John have to measure it?

Who is that Ezekiel sees in Eze 40?

2 In visions of God he took me to the land of Israel and set me on a very high mountain, on whose south side were some buildings that looked like a city. 3 He took me there, and I saw a man whose appearance was like bronze; he was standing in the gateway with a linen cord and a measuring rod in his hand. 4 The man said to me, "Son of man, look carefully and listen closely and pay attention to everything I am going to show you, for that is why you have been brought here. Tell the people of Israel everything you see."

What was John told?

Rev 11:1 I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, "Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, with its worshipers. 2 But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles.

Those are not figurative measurements John gave Ezekiel.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
StanJ said:
Marcus agrees, there will be a third Temple.

StanJ said:
John wrote Revelation on the Isle of Patmos around 95 AD.

2 and 3 haven't happened yet so how would I know?
You are right, John wrote Revelation AFTER the Roman destruction of the 2nd Temple. Why do you deny a 3rd Temple?
The last 1260 days, or 42 months, or 3.5 years is the final period before the Return. It is the time of the Great Tribulation, that will be triggered by the leader of the One World Govt sitting in the Temple. The two witnesses will preach in that time as well.

StanJ said:
Now, FYI, there is an explanation in Hebrews 8:5 and 9:24, that would help you understand, IF you are willing to let go of your own flawed understanding. What John saw was that in Heaven, which obviously was NOT a physical representation, but a spiritual one.
I looked up your scriptures. In no way do they preclude a new earthly Temple.
What John saw was a picture of the future earthly Temple. Ezekiel saw it too.