This Generation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your response is a false argument against what I have posted above. Do you really have anything else to substantiate what you are posting or are you simply defending your web page based on a flawed understanding of the scriptures with your personalised attack.

Will you accept the Mark?

Matthew 24:33
33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near--at the doors!

Amen Jesus!

Perhaps it is the all that you are capable of.

Actually I think personal insults are against the rules here.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This generation will not pass away until all things are fulfilled.
Was Jesus talking about our generation here? If I say something will happen in this generation, would you think I actually meant in a generation 2000 plus years in the future?

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus talking about our generation here?

Yes.

Luke 21:24 Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

1967!

If I say something will happen in this generation, would you think I actually meant in a generation 2000 plus years in the future?

You're not Jesus.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

1967!

You're not Jesus.
Those gentiles were Rome. And this happened in 70 AD.

20 “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Israel 6th Day War Of Miracles

Luke 21 This generation will not pass away until all things are fulfilled.

Some living in 1967 will witness Jesus return.
If one is going this far, when the temple is rebuilt then the Jews have returned.

Curiously the site of the temple is disputed, but without this Israel is still in exile. So it is still to come. :)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OT does not overrule NT!

Are you sure about that. The Jews in Jesus' day would have compared what jesus was teaching with the OT to see if He was right.

Why has this changed?

In the OT, there are two Hebrew root words that have been translated into English as "generation."

One is speaking of "descendant generations" while the other is referring to an age. When the LXX was being translated into the Greek Language, the Greek word used for H:1755 was "genea." The other "Hebrew word for "Generation," is found in H:8435 a very different Hebrew word.

Genesis 10:32: - Αὗται αἱ φυλαὶ υἱῶν Νῶε κατὰ γενέσεις αὐτῶν, κατὰ τὰ ἔθνη αὐτῶν· ἀπὸ τούτων διεσπάρησαν νῆσοι τῶν ἐθνῶν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς μετὰ τὸν κατακλυσμόν.

Genesis 10:32: - These were the families of the sons of Noah, according to their generations, in their nations; and from these the nations were divided on the earth after the flood.​

Now, the Greek word found in Matt 24:34, γενεὰ is very different to the Greek word γενέσεις used in the LXX at Gen 10:32 which is associated with descendant generation, which is how you are wanting to understand γενεὰ in the Matt 24:34 verse.

Our understand of the language must be drawn from the time it was written, not from our understanding of language usage of today.

Your understanding of the meaning of Matt 24:34 is flawed, and as much as I disagree with Quitethinker, his understanding of an age being referenced by Jesus in the Matt 24:34 verse is in agreement with my understanding. Jesus was referring to the Millennium Age, which is the last age for Mankind in our present state, and many of the things we were told where with reference to the distant future from the time of His first advent.

You cannot just read the NT without having a good understanding of the OT, and neither trumps the other.

Shalom

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those gentiles were Rome. And this happened in 70 AD.

20 “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near.
The times of the Gentiles did not end until 1967. Some living in 1967 will witness Jesus return.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one is going this far, when the temple is rebuilt then the Jews have returned.

Curiously the site of the temple is disputed, but without this Israel is still in exile. So it is still to come. :)
Israel took control of all of Jerusalem in 1967. The times of the Gentiles ended.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you sure about that. The Jews in Jesus' day would have compared what jesus was teaching with the OT to see if He was right.

Why has this changed?

In the OT, there are two Hebrew root words that have been translated into English as "generation."

One is speaking of "descendant generations" while the other is referring to an age. When the LXX was being translated into the Greek Language, the Greek word used for H:1755 was "genea." The other "Hebrew word for "Generation," is found in H:8435 a very different Hebrew word.

Genesis 10:32: - Αὗται αἱ φυλαὶ υἱῶν Νῶε κατὰ γενέσεις αὐτῶν, κατὰ τὰ ἔθνη αὐτῶν· ἀπὸ τούτων διεσπάρησαν νῆσοι τῶν ἐθνῶν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς μετὰ τὸν κατακλυσμόν.

Genesis 10:32: - These were the families of the sons of Noah, according to their generations, in their nations; and from these the nations were divided on the earth after the flood.​

Now, the Greek word found in Matt 24:34, γενεὰ is very different to the Greek word γενέσεις used in the LXX at Gen 10:32 which is associated with descendant generation, which is how you are wanting to understand γενεὰ in the Matt 24:34 verse.

Our understand of the language must be drawn from the time it was written, not from our understanding of language usage of today.

Your understanding of the meaning of Matt 24:34 is flawed, and as much as I disagree with Quitethinker, his understanding of an age being referenced by Jesus in the Matt 24:34 verse is in agreement with my understanding. Jesus was referring to the Millennium Age, which is the last age for Mankind in our present state, and many of the things we were told where with reference to the distant future from the time of His first advent.

You cannot just read the NT without having a good understanding of the OT, and neither trumps the other.

Shalom
Yes, I'm positive that OT never overrules NT, unless you reject the NT.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Israel took control of all of Jerusalem in 1967. The times of the Gentiles ended.
No Sanhedrin, no temple, no high priest, synagogues only. Other than the name and a secular government this is not Israel as prophesied, but a political manipulation.

Therefore linking this to prophecy is a big leap. I would have thought talking about world history and eternal significance, it needs to be better than this :)

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christian Zionism justifies the worst excesses against normal citizens of Jerusalem and the west bank.

Who owns the land? What kind of jee is God's Jew? Can God's Jew now steal everything and that is justice?

It is this kind of immorality that keeps the conflict going. And believers who live here, should they now leave because hating Christians is part of Christian Zionism. And these groups are easy believism prosperity leaders who hate righteous followers of Jesus.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The times of the Gentiles did not end until 1967. Some living in 1967 will witness Jesus return.
You are just wrong. Probably a Pat Robertson follower.
The two phrases “tread under foot” and “times of the Gentiles” are referring to the Roman invasion and conquest of the Jews in AD 67-70.
If 1967 was the end of the times of the Gentiles, and if a generation is, Biblically, 40 years, and if Christ’s coming was to be at the end of the times of the Gentiles, then Christ should have come in 2007!
Clearly, Luke 21:20- 24 refers to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in AD 70. The second half of verse 24 says, ‘and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Pretty obvious, yet you all want to put everything in the future.