Thoughts about using a KJV update?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you use a KJV update?

• Yes

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Probably

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By your line of thinking....the manuscripts that the apostles actually wrote are false....it is the newer manuscripts that are the real Bible!

Nope.

Here’s my belief:

The text that guided the translators of the Authorized Version (KJV) were accurate to what was originally written by the apostles and prophets.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope.

Here’s my belief:

The text that guided the translators of the Authorized Version (KJV) were accurate to what was originally written by the apostles and prophets.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It's obvious that you believe this, but you are deluded.

They were ordered by a secular king to create a Bible that made his personal view of Protestantism the official one. It's tragic that you and other KJVOs are so blind!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's obvious that you believe this, but you are deluded.

They were ordered by a secular king to create a Bible that made his personal view of Protestantism the official one. It's tragic that you and other KJVOs are so blind!

“The commissioning of the King James Bible took place in 1604 at the Hampton Court Conference outside of London. The first edition appeared in 1611. The King James version remains one of the greatest landmarks in the English tongue. It has decidedly affected our language and thought categories, and although produced in England for English churches, it played a unique role in the historical development of America. Even today, many consider the King James Bible the ultimate translation in English and will allow none other for use in church or personal devotions.”

Amen!

The Story Behind The King James Bible

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, so it’s a “fantasy” to believe that we have a Bible that accurately and reliably brings us the original writings of the inspired writers?

Oookay then….

Care to count the fantasies?
That there is a translation of the Bible that God signed off on.
There are translations much more accurate than the JKV.....but God did not sign off on any of them.
The religious reverence of any object is idolatry.
You believe in a Bible....try believing in Christ.
The NASB is one of the most accurate Bibles in print.....but it is not holy....and it still has some errors.....just nowhere near as many as the KJV. The KJV is famous for its errors.....the NASB is not.
The scriptures are the Word of God....Bibles are translations of that....the wise will look for the most accurate scriptures.
And I will add for the "Bible only" folks.....you would think this would be very important....but not so for many.
Any Bible is a tool to understand the Word of God....Why focus on the most inaccurate?
Personal devotions? Try being devoted to God.

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Care to count the fantasies?
That there is a translation of the Bible that God signed off on.
There are translations much more accurate than the JKV.....but God did not sign off on any of them.
The religious reverence of any object is idolatry.
You believe in a Bible....try believing in Christ.
The NASB is one of the most accurate Bibles in print.....but it is not holy....and it still has some errors.....just nowhere near as many as the KJV. The KJV is famous for its errors.....the NASB is not.
The scriptures are the Word of God....Bibles are translations of that....the wise will look for the most accurate scriptures.
And I will add for the "Bible only" folks.....you would think this would be very important....but not so for many.
Any Bible is a tool to understand the Word of God....Why focus on the most inaccurate?
Personal devotions? Try being devoted to God.

Great post!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The commissioning of the King James Bible took place in 1604 at the Hampton Court Conference outside of London. The first edition appeared in 1611. The King James version remains one of the greatest landmarks in the English tongue. It has decidedly affected our language and thought categories, and although produced in England for English churches, it played a unique role in the historical development of America. Even today, many consider the King James Bible the ultimate translation in English and will allow none other for use in church or personal devotions.”

Amen!

The Story Behind The King James Bible

As Grailhunter said, "You believe in a Bible....try believing in Christ."

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The KJV is famous for its errors.....the NASB is not.

Made famous by Westcott and Hort.

Their changes to the New Testament text based on corrupted source texts artificially created errors in the KJV since the KJV was not based on these corrupt texts!

In 1881 A.D. The Westcott and Hort Greek Text was introduced. This text departed from the Textus Receptus and follows the Vatican and Sinaitic corruptions.

The Jehovah’s Witness Bible entitled the ’New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures’ was translated from the text of Westcott and Hort.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"You believe in a Bible....try believing in Christ."

@Grailhunter and @Jim B

I believe in Christ because of the Bible.

“Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.” (Psalms 119:9)

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Romans 10:17)

So since the “word” (Bible) is a source of ridicule for you, you haven’t heard the truth and as a result have no faith and no Bible.

“He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.” (John 8:47)

Ouch!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Made famous by Westcott and Hort.

Their changes to the New Testament text based on corrupted source texts artificially created errors in the KJV since the KJV was not based on these corrupt texts!

In 1881 A.D. The Westcott and Hort Greek Text was introduced. This text departed from the Textus Receptus and follows the Vatican and Sinaitic corruptions.

The Jehovah’s Witness Bible entitled the ’New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures’ was translated from the text of Westcott and Hort.

From what I can tell from what you said is that do not trust the work of men in the past to translate accurate scriptures. And the Textus Receptus has never been known for its accuracy......more political than anything....a personal project?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Grailhunter and @Jim B

“Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.” (Psalms 119:9)

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Romans 10:17)

So since the “word” (Bible) is a source of ridicule for you, you haven’t heard the truth and as a result have no faith and no Bible.

“He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.” (John 8:47)

Ouch!

You are doing it again! The Word is not a source of ridicule for me....never implied that! Who wants the fraudulent words of men.
Seek the scriptures for the Word Of God

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Grailhunter and @Jim B

Ouch!

You believe in Christ because of the Bible? Well good for you!

You wrote, "So since the “word” (Bible) is a source of ridicule for you, you haven’t heard the truth and as a result have no faith and no Bible." That is slanderous nonsense.

The Bible says, "Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive. Why do you see the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to see the beam of wood in your own?" Matthew 7:1-3 So you read the Bible, but obviously pay no attention to what it says. Your faith is worthless!!! You are a judgmental "Pharisee" who has clearly not understood either the Bible or Christ.

John 8:47, " The one who belongs to God listens and responds to God’s words. You don’t listen and respond, because you don’t belong to God.”

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You wrote, "So since the “word” (Bible) is a source of ridicule for you, you haven’t heard the truth and as a result have no faith and no Bible." That is slanderous nonsense.

You can dish it out but can’t take it in huh?

As Grailhunter said, "You believe in a Bible....try believing in Christ."

Your implication that I didn’t believe in Christ by repeating what @Grailhunter said is no better sir!

But I took it like a man.

No hard feelings.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From bible-researcher.com: "... it is worth noting that the translators of the King James Version did not follow exclusively any single printed edition of the New Testament in Greek. The edition most closely followed by them was Beza's edition of 1598, but they departed from this edition for the reading in some other published Greek text at least 170 times, and in at least 60 places, the KJV translators abandoned all then-existing printed editions of the Greek New Testament, choosing instead to follow precisely the reading in the Latin Vulgate version. ... None of the major modern English Bible translations made since World War II used the Westcott-Hort text as its base. This includes translations done by theological conservatives — the New American Standard Bible, the New International Version, the New King James, for examples — and translations done by theological liberals — the Revised Standard Version, the New English Bible, the Good News Bible, etc. The only English Bible translation currently in print that the writer is aware of which is based on the Westcott-Hort text is the New World Translation of the Jehovah's Witnesses."

Michiah-Imla, it's time to stop lying!!!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jim B

This is serious business!

Not philosophy.

There is a Devil out there seeking to devour and destroy and I have fended him off many times in my life by the word of God. Without it I’d be in ruins!

I take criticism to the Bible to heart!

The lambs need a sword they can rely on when the enemy comes to devour.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can dish it out but can’t take it in huh?

Your implication that I didn’t believe in Christ by repeating what @Grailhunter said is no better sir!

But I took it like a man.

No hard feelings.

Are you serious? Is it some kind of macho thing with you? I really feel sorry for you!!!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jim B

This is serious business!

Not philosophy.

There is a Devil out there seeking to devour and destroy and I have fended him off many times in my life by the word of God. Without it I’d be in ruins!

I take criticism to the Bible to heart!

The lambs need a sword they can rely on when the enemy comes to devour.

Your imagery of lambs with a sword is truly irrational. I fear for your sanity! Macho behavior included. Is this what your KJV teaches you? You need to change Bibles!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jim B

Little nuances in the translation process are technical.

The KJV is unique to just about all the modern version out there!

It’s the KJV vs. ALL OTHER VERSIONS!

This shows that despite unique textual selections here or there by all translatiors (even the KJV translators), the main influencing texts are evident in the finished products!