Three Days and Three Nights

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm very sorry to have offended you. :oops:

It just seems to me when people argue about which day is what, and how many days or not..."To me" it then falls into what Paul wrote, when he said-

1Tim 1:4 "Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do. "

I read more quibbling going on about things which are not vital to faith, than I read those things which encourage and build up faith and commitment of our walk.
That is why I posted what I posted.

Again, sorry for offending you. I'll keep my thoughts to myself.
Its not so much that I am offended. Its that I don't understand your logic (actually, I do... Or so I believe I do).

So your supporting text.. 1 tim 1:4... This isn't about geneology. But what about "fables"? We aren't to give heed to them. Now I don't believe anyone on either side is telling a fable as Oaul was uusingthe term. But i am telling one thing and others something else. One is right and the other is wrong... Or we are both wrong.

My point is that it may seem insignificant to humans who llookfor the bottom line... The end rresult. And the end result is that Jesus got up! I agree. But Jesus and God spent a lot of time explaining that the journey is just as important as the destination.

Here is an observation: Christians in general (but especially on discussion boards) state that "its not important when or how it happened, only that it happened" a total of twice per year.

Or I should say they claim that about two controversies. One of them is the passion week. They will argue minute details about everything else... But when it comes to Easter and the other controversy... Facts miraculously become unimportant.

Why do you suppose that is?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may say that in one sentence , but everything else point to it having been, approx a half day, the day He died (when they had requested His body be taken down before the Sabbath day )...That following night, the following day ( the Sabbath day ) and then the following night, and then on the first day of the week ( which was Sunday then ) at dawn He was seen , alive....Anyway, whichever makes you happy....I am not about to try and make this into some kind of other law to follow...this is just the way my studies made sense to me :)
Its not about law... Its about truth. We aren't under the Law... But be are bound to believe the truth.

A Wednesday crucifixion and saturday ressurection is the only way all the facts come together.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its not about law... Its about truth. We aren't under the Law... But be are bound to believe the truth.

A Wednesday crucifixion and saturday ressurection is the only way all the facts come together.
The only Truth I need, is that Jesus is alive, well and always with me....But thanks anyway..:)

Reactions: Helen

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
pia,
re: "It says 'He rose on the 3rd day'....That would have to exclude a third night.. "

That's what I just said. Any particular reason for feeling the need to repeat it?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may say that in one sentence , but everything else point to it having been, approx a half day, the day He died (when they had requested His body be taken down before the Sabbath day )...That following night, the following day ( the Sabbath day ) and then the following night, and then on the first day of the week ( which was Sunday then ) at dawn He was seen , alive....Anyway, whichever makes you happy....I am not about to try and make this into some kind of other law to follow...this is just the way my studies made sense to me :)

You're making that "half day" story up.

A Hebrew day was always divided up into a 24 hr. period of night and day. And instead of it beginning at midnight like our calendar, the Hebrew reckoning began at sunset. So FHII is very correct that the 3 days and 3 nights were about a 72 hr. period.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well for the record Jesus surrendered Himself on what we call Thursday night, but its first part of Friday in Jewish terms one night, hanged on the cross, one day and burred before sunset, hence Saturday (the Sabbath) starting on what we call Friday night, the second night, still not risen yet Saturday day, the second day, hasn't risen yet hence sunset of what we call Saturday night, the third night, first part of Sunday, then in the morning when Mary went to Him he was risen the third day

three nights three days.

one must understand Jesus would always speak from the view of the Kingdom of Heaven, and about the Kingdom of Heaven, unless He had to make it plain to the Apostles at the time. when He spoke of Lazarus before He went to raise Lazarus is a good example of that. anyway if you notice when they came to get Jesus in the garden He surrendered Himself into their hands, proof is when He said "I am" they fell back. the fact is from the Heaven He entered the heart of the earth, which from Heaven to where men go is through the judgement of men, which results in death. from Heaven, the doorway to the heart of the earth is through man. so the start of that journey He went through was on the evening He surrendered to the authority of men. which many time they tried to get Jesus but it wasn't His time as the scripture says.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well for the record Jesus surrendered Himself on what we call Thursday night, but its first part of Friday in Jewish terms one night, hanged on the cross, one day and burred before sunset, hence Saturday (the Sabbath) starting on what we call Friday night, the second night, still not risen yet Saturday day, the second day, hasn't risen yet hence sunset of what we call Saturday night, the third night, first part of Sunday, then in the morning when Mary went to Him he was risen the third day

three nights three days.

one must understand Jesus would always speak from the view of the Kingdom of Heaven, and about the Kingdom of Heaven, unless He had to make it plain to the Apostles at the time. when He spoke of Lazarus before He went to raise Lazarus is a good example of that. anyway if you notice when they came to get Jesus in the garden He surrendered Himself into their hands, proof is when He said "I am" they fell back. the fact is from the Heaven He entered the heart of the earth, which from Heaven to where men go is through the judgement of men, which results in death. from Heaven, the doorway to the heart of the earth is through man. so the start of that journey He went through was on the evening He surrendered to the authority of men. which many time they tried to get Jesus but it wasn't His time as the scripture says.

Wrong.

If Jesus was crucified on Thursday, here is how the timing would be per the Hebrew reckoning:

If crucified on Thursday and buried just before sunset Friday:
1st night - began sunset Friday to dawn
1st day - Friday dawn to Friday sunset
2nd night - Saturday began at sunset to dawn
2nd day - Saturday dawn to sunset
at sunset Saturday began Sunday the first day of the week when both Marys came to the tomb and found Jesus had risen.
3 days and 3 nights NOT COMPLETE

A Thursday crucifixion will not work.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
DPMartin,

Your comments in post #366 are with regard to a different issue. This particular topic is really directed to those who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it says 3 days and three nights. In Jewish days the night comes before the day. And according to my sources 3 days and 3 nights means 72 hours. It is not an idiom.
From what I've read in the past - and there is no official position from the Church - TWO Sabbaths are being spoken of here:
The previous Sabbath a week before and the Sabbath after the Crucifixion.

They could have bought the spices the week before the Crucifixion- and prepared them them day after the Crucifixion after sundown.
This is the only logical conclusion, unless the writers were trying to say something else.

This still supports the Traditional scenario of a Friday Crucifixion and a Sunday Resurrection.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pilgrimer,

If you are correct with your idea of a 6th day of the week crucifixion, how do you account for the lack of a 3rd night?

The problem is that limiting the 3 days and nights to just the period of time that Jesus was in the tomb is based on interpretation of the phrase "in the heart of the earth," which has long been a matter of debate by historians. But when you look closely at many of the passages that speak of Jesus rising the third day, they include his being arrested and tried and condemned by the Jews (which was on Thursday night) and being handed over to the Romans (on Friday morning) and being crucified and suffering for 6 hours (from Friday 9:00 A.M. to Friday 3:00 P.M.), and then he was buried (Friday evening) and was in the tomb Friday night, Saturday, Saturday night, and rose early Sunday morning, the third day after all these things occurred, which is what the disciples on the road to Emmaus said when Jesus asked what they were discussing and why they were sad: "Are you a stranger in Jerusalem, and have not known the things which are come to pass there in these days? And [Jesus] said, What things? And they said, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him ... and today is the third day since these things were done."

Third day since "these things" were done. What things? Beginning with the chief priests and rulers condemning Jesus to death (on Thursday night) and then delivering him to the Romans to be crucified (on Friday). Clearly they are saying that the first day of the week was the third day since "these things" were done, not the third day since Jesus was buried.

So I don't think it's accurate to assume that the day Jesus rose was the third day after he died, but was the third day after his suffering began and that was on Thursday night.

Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night is 3 nights.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Last edited:

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I can. I am the one that brought the verse up. Of course I understand that.

My question is this: when did they buy the spices?

Can you please answer that question?

They purchased the spices on Friday evening before the Sabbath began.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The True 6 Days Before The Passover

You need to make an adjustment. Nisan 14 is not the day before the Passover. Nisan 14 is the Passover.

“In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord’s Passover.” Leviticus 23:5

Look at the institution of the Passover: “And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians.”

The 15th Nisan is the day after the Passover. Nisan 14 is the Passover. They slew the lambs on the afternoon of Nisan 14 and painted their doorposts and lintels with the blood. Then that night (the beginning of Nisan 15) they ate the Passover with their loins girded and their shoes on their feet, ready to leave. They ate their bread unleavened because their dough boards were packed up and there wasn’t time to let their bread rise. Then the death angel passed through the land that night and after his son’s death Ramses ordered the Jews to leave. They left Egypt on Nisan 15, the day after Passover.

In historical practice, the Passover lambs were slain on the afternoon of Nisan 14, according to Josephus as well as Talmudic tractate Pesach between 1:00 and 5:00 p.m. This allowed time to roast the lambs before the Seder that was eaten after sunset and the beginning of Nisan 15 and the first of 7 nights of eating unleavened bread.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They purchased the spices on Friday evening before the Sabbath began.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
Mark 16:1 KJV
And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

I do believe it was on Friday though... Probably in the morning.

Last edited:

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says 'He rose on the 3rd day'....That would have to exclude a third night..
Unless the count begins with the night arrest in the garden and his hearing and condemnation before the Sanhedrin. That means Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night, 3 nights. Friday, Saturday, and rose on the 3rd day Sunday.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:1 KJV
I do believe it was on Friday though... Probably in the morning.

Luke 23:54 says it was Friday and "the sabbath drew on" (meaning it was late in the day) and after following the men to see how the Lord's body was laid, then they prepared the spices and ointments and then rested the sabbath. It's unlikely that they would have purchased the items necessary for burial in the morning hours before Jesus was even crucified or the women even knew such items would be needed before the day was spent.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 23:54 says it was Friday and "the sabbath drew on" (meaning it was late in the day) and after following the men to see how the Lord's body was laid, then they prepared the spices and ointments and then rested the sabbath. It's unlikely that they would have purchased the items necessary for burial in the morning hours before Jesus was even crucified or the women even knew such items would be needed before the day was spent.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
But one verse says the spices were purchased after the sabbath (Mark 16:1) and the other says they were prepared before the sabbath (luke 23:56). Yes, both happened on a friday... But how can both be right?

Last edited:

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unless the count begins with the night arrest in the garden and his hearing and condemnation before the Sanhedrin. That means Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night, 3 nights. Friday, Saturday, and rose on the 3rd day Sunday.
Whatever you prefer.....I tend to spend more time on the resurrected Jesus, than the one many still insist on keeping on that cross..2 1/2 days or 3 days...perhaps that really means something to some, which is fine, but to get others to agree with that, almost seems more important to some..

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joh_2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

no mention of nights , can we just get onto teh important things , believing in teh works Christ did, instead of trying to prove.

Mar 9:32 But they understood not that saying, and were afraid to ask him.
Mar 9:33 And he came to Capernaum: and being in the house he asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way?
Mar 9:34 But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest.

But such is mans flesh. always trying to glorify itself.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They slew the lambs on the afternoon of Nisan 14 and painted their doorposts and lintels with the blood. Then that night (the beginning of Nisan 15) they ate the Passover...

Jesus and His Apostles ate the passover on the 14th of Nisan, for Wednesday the 14th began at sunset. He was at that night delivered up and appeared before Pilate.

Jesus was crucified on 14th of Nisan per the command to sacrifice the passover lamb at evening. Then at sunset began the 15th Nisan, the first day of the feast, which was a "high day" (holy convocation per Lev.23).

Lev 23:7
7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

KJV

John 19:30-31
30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, He said, It is finished: and He bowed His head, and gave up the ghost.
31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

KJV

John 19:42
42 There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

KJV

The Jews rushed to bury the body of our Lord Jesus, because sunset was coming on, and at sunset began that "high day", the 1st day of the feast that was to be "an holy convocation" per Lev.23:7, the 15th of Nisan, i.e., a high sabbath (not the regular weekly sabbath).