Three Days and Three Nights

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Davy,
re: "No such 'assertion of commonality' exists..."

So if no 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection advocates try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language, how do they explain it?

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
pia,
re: "It says 'He rose on the 3rd day'....That would have to exclude a third night.. "

That's what I just said. Any particular reason for feeling the need to repeat it?
Apologies, I had not seen that...

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Davy,
re: "No such 'assertion of commonality' exists..."

So if no 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection advocates try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language, how do they explain it?

Jesus was not speaking colloquially when He said His body would be in the ground for 3 days and 3 nights.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Davy,
re: "Jesus was not speaking colloquially when He said His body would be in the ground for 3 days and 3 nights."

That's an issue for a different topic.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Davy,
re: "Jesus was not speaking colloquially when He said His body would be in the ground for 3 days and 3 nights."

That's an issue for a different topic.

It's an issue you raised in your last post. And it's actually a non-issue, because Jesus was not speaking colloquialisms when He said that. It wasn't an idiom or figure of speech, nor anything like that. 3 days and 3 nights means literally 3 days and 3 nights:

Matt 12:40
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
KJV

Jonah 1:17
17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
KJV

So was Jonah actually in the belly of the great fish for literally 3 days and 3 nights? Yes.

Now if someone wants to say that Jonah was not a real person, and that the Book of Jonah didn't really happen, but that's it's just literature about something else, then why should a person saying that kind of thing be trusted with God's Word at all? And why would any believer in God's Word as written want to even listen... to such an ignorant person?

Reactions: FHII

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Davy,
re: "It wasn't an idiom or figure of speech, nor anything like that. 3 days and 3 nights means literally 3 days and 3 nights..."

You believe that, and I believe that, but some (actually the majority) of 6th day of the week crucifixion folks believe that there were only 2 nights involved with the Messiah's time in the tomb. As I've said several times, it is to them that this topic is really directed.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Davy,
re: "It wasn't an idiom or figure of speech, nor anything like that. 3 days and 3 nights means literally 3 days and 3 nights..."

You believe that, and I believe that, but some (actually the majority) of 6th day of the week crucifixion folks believe that there were only 2 nights involved with the Messiah's time in the tomb. As I've said several times, it is to them that this topic is really directed.

No, the majority of people who believe a Friday crucifixion don't even count the timing, they just accept that old tradition as it has been passed on from generation to generation, asking no questions.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a "discussion" with 6[sup]th[/sup] day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase "x" days and "x"nights was ever used in the first century or before when it didn’t include at least parts of the "x" days and at least parts of the "x" nights?

Gen 1:5
God called the light DAY, and the darkness he called NIGHT...

Gen 1:5
...the EVENING and the MORNING were the first DAY.

Matt 12:40 simply says DAY and NIGHT.

Day and Night is simply Light and Darkness.

But the Diminishing of the Day into Darkness is EVENING.

And the Breaking of the Darkness into Light is MORNING.

Play on words ~
EVENing was approaching when Jesus' body died.

EVEN though His body was visibly dying, and things seems DARK and sad,,, His soul and spirit was still living.

MORNing is when Jesus was first again seen, while people were MOURNING.

MOURNing changed to LIGHT and joy.

God Bless,
Taken

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Taken,

Are you a believer in a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken,

Are you a believer in a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection?

That appears to me to be so.

Days ~
6 Dead body, buried = day & evening night
7 body dead in tomb = night & day
1 body dead in tomb & rises = night & morning day

3 days & 3 nights buried in tomb.

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Day is an expression of TIME.

Day expresses Light.

Night expresses Darkness.

YET...

Day is also BEYOND "expression" of a "measurement" of TIME, that includes darkness.

It is not only a confusing issue IN the OLD days...

But so too is it Now.
Men create TIME frames, and calendars.
Men Change the TIME, because we operate on a 24 hour basis, but it is never exact.
Men attempt to "SAVE" and preserve the Day LIGHT, so thus Change the Time.
Men attempt to "consider" Day/Night in their Time, "accommodating" to the Globe.
Consider the seasons;
Daylight to 5 pm or Daylight to 9 pm, but yet still called night.
Breaking of morning light at 5 am or 7 am, but yet still called morning, which is pitch dark at 5 am.

We were to never have an EXACT knowledge of TIME, just indications.

We have known for eons, NO ONE shall know the EXACT TIME, the Lord shall return.... just signs, or indications thereof.

God Bless,
Taken

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Taken,
re: "6 Dead body, buried = day & evening night"

The night had been over some 8 to 9 hours by the time of the burial.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken,
re: "6 Dead body, buried = day & evening night"

The night had been over some 8 to 9 hours by the time of the burial.

Disagree. 6th day:
Jesus' body alive, Jesus body dying, Jesus body dead on cross, Jesus body hurriedly buried in the evening night, as the following day was a passover celebration.
Day and evening no ght.

7th day passover -
Jesus' body dead buried in the night & day.

1st day -
Jesus' body dead buried in the night & day rises up morning day.

You don't' seem to consider; day and night, are measurements of TIME and Light & Darkness.

Matt saying 3 days, 3 nights, is inclusive of periods of Light and Darkness; not exclusive to 12 hours shifts on a time clock.

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken,
re: "Disagree"

How can you disagree that the night time comes before the daytime?

I didn't disagree night/darkness IS before day/lightness, in the scheme of creation.

I disagreed with your view expressed in your statement, as you determined "night was "over" some 8-9 hours before burial".

Jews had/have a burial custom, and it was/is to not to bury dead bodies in the darkness of night.

As Jesus was dying on the cross, Jews were anxious about the evening night approaching, because of their burial customs.

Joseph, a Saddeus, began begging for Jesus' body.
The method for hurrying a crucifixion, if one remains alive too long, was to break their legs, so their weight would fall and suffocate them to a quick death.

When they check Jesus, they speared Him, and He was pronounced dead; prophecy prevails, He had no broken bones.

He was removed from the cross and hurriedly washed and placed in the tomb, in the evening night, with but a few spices. And they covered the tomb opening and left.

The following day was the Passover, to which they could not attend His dead body with appropriate spices and oils to his face.

The 3rd day the women arrived to apply oils, and add spices to the shroud wrappings...but the tomb was opened, and He not IN the tomb.

Any part of a day or night His body was IN the Tomb, is accounted as Day and Night.

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely not true! 3 days and 3 nights means a full 72 hours by Jewish customs. see the link below:

http://m.tzion.org/site/articles/threedays.html

I mentioned Jewish customs, of burial.
OT and today. That is simply in regard to customary burial, not length of TIME.

There is no Jewish custom regarding burying and then unburying to consider, nor did I.

Jesus was buried according to Jewish customs; before night, washing, anointing, spices, shroud, napkin, etc.

Matt mentions 3 nights, 3 days.
Jesus was not in the tomb 3 (what we would call full day or full night), it just simply says, 3 days, 3 nights.

God Bless,
Taken

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is no Jewish custom regarding burying and then unburying to consider, nor did I.

Jesus was buried according to Jewish customs; before night, washing, anointing, spices, shroud, napkin, etc.

Jesus was not in the tomb 3 (what we would call full day or full night), it just simply says, 3 days, 3 nights.

God Bless,
Taken
You really haven't said anyth

God Bless,
Taken

Rediculous. I have a Rabbi that says it was 72 hours. Thw timeline says it was 72 hours. Everything works outwith it being 72 hours. Yet you say otherwise.

The Bible says 3 days and 3 nights. That is how long he was in the tomb. 72 hours.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You really haven't said anyth

Rediculous. I have a Rabbi that says it was 72 hours. Thw timeline says it was 72 hours. Everything works outwith it being 72 hours. Yet you say otherwise.

The Bible says 3 days and 3 nights. That is how long he was in the tomb. 72 hours.

That is awesome someone can precisely calculate 72 hours equally divided of day and night over 2 thousand years ago, when it doesn't even work like that now.

Not a bother to argue over. 3 days, 3 nights, is sufficient for me.

I do not find 3 days, 3 nights ridiculous.
I do find defining the Hours, ridiculous, and not scriptural.....just as If you said you had dinner last night, I would not presume you were eating for 12 hours.

God Bless,
Taken

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Taken,
re: "I disagreed with your view expressed in your statement, as you determined 'night was 'over" some 8-9 hours before burial".

OK, maybe off by an hour or two, but the point is that the burial was during the daytime before the next calendar's day night began. But you were counting the crucifixion day's night time as one of the three nights that the Messiah said He would be in the "heart of the" of the earth.