Three Days and Three Nights

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has been said before, but it is worth repeating. A day begins when the sun goes down, and the next time it goes down is one day. Jesus was crucified early Friday morning, and it went dark at 3pm. That was day 1. Day 2 was Saturday and Jesus rose from the grave early Sunday morning on the third day.

This has been said before, but it is worth repeating. A day begins when the sun goes down, and the next time it goes down is one day. Jesus was crucified early Friday morning, and it went dark at 3pm. That was day 1. Day 2 was Saturday and Jesus rose from the grave early Sunday morning on the third day.

Well, Our Father is responsable for the length of a day, Sooo, maybe He should ask for your council. As for me I believe that a day is about 24 hours long???? That is from sundown to sundown!!
Even if you go by the Greek way of time, Midnight to Midnight is still about 24 Hours!

Reactions: Gary Urban

Gary Urban

Apr 20, 2021
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so our Lord predicted that He would be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

This raises a problem. If, Jesus was buried on Friday afternoon and rose again on Sunday morning, how can it be said that He was three days and nights in the tomb? The answer is that, in Jewish reckoning, any part of a day and night counts as a complete period. “A day and a night make an onah, and a part of an onah is as the whole” (Jewish saying).

(Believers Bible)

I would offer the what I would call metaphor three days in the heart of the earth must be defined. We know it is equal to three days in the belly of the whale. What is the heart of the earth?

Is it in reference to corruption suffering seeing the whole creation was corrupted? Is it the same as that of Abel as that which his blood continues to cry out longing to be clothed with the incorruptible? Three days of suffering? If so when did the suffering begin?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Well, Our Father is responsable for the length of a day, Sooo, maybe He should ask for your council. As for me I believe that a day is about 24 hours long???? That is from sundown to sundown!!
Even if you go by the Greek way of time, Midnight to Midnight is still about 24 Hours!
It is the language of the DAY you need to question. The word 'day' has many meanings.

In the example I have just given, the word DAY means thousands of years. Likewise if we go for a day trip we are not gone for 24 hours.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would offer the what I would call metaphor three days in the heart of the earth must be defined. We know it is equal to three days in the belly of the whale. What is the heart of the earth?

Is it in reference to corruption suffering seeing the whole creation was corrupted? Is it the same as that of Abel as that which his blood continues to cry out longing to be clothed with the incorruptible? Three days of suffering? If so when did the suffering begin?
Three days and three nights is a Jewish idiom meaning long enough to die.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012

For the purpose of this topic it was defined in several posts and most recently in post #644 as the tomb.

Gary Urban

Apr 20, 2021
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the purpose of this topic it was defined in several posts and most recently in post #644 as the tomb.

I have seen that before it does not seem to fit the whole comparison as a parable .

The comparison or parable is between two sons of men, Jonah a son of man (earthen vessel )and Jesus the Son of man, as first born of the brethren.

Belly of the hell is a place of living suffering. It is the same as heart of the earth. The focus is not the literal what the eyes see but the place of suffering (by reason of affliction)

Jonah 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Both of the works represented the power of the gospel .Jonah brought the gospel being dragged murmuring wanting to die. And Jesus was delighted to do the will of the Father that worked in him to both reveal the will of the Father and empower them both to perform it .Neither Jonas or Jesus had the power within their earthen bodies .

The word heart speaks of spirit of the matter and not a literal place .There are many examples how the word heart is used . A place that mankind cries out for rest strengthend by our Father in heaven, therefore making the load yoked with Christ, the Holy Spirit, lighter .Three is a metaphor used in a parables, three denotes the end of a matter throughout the Bible .

Genesis 6:6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

[URL='https://classic.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+18:5&version=KJV']Genesis 18:5
And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
[/URL]
Salvation is reckoned as the work of two working together in perfect harmony and submission. The work the father and the Son of man, Jesus. Salvation is never reckoned as one according to what the eyes see.

The Son of man Jesus began on thursaday suffering unto death in the garden of Gethsemane (not dead never to rise again) as the Lord strengthened him. Again the work of two according to the promise.

Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

The three day work is demonstrated in two parts or three. The garden as the witness of God which is greater than the witness of man, the cross

In order to fulfill the promise of two woring as one spoken of in Isaiah. The lord put the disciples asleep .There was no help being strengthen by mankind three times Jesus tried to awaken them for support.

When that portion of the demonstration was finished then we are given the witness of men the cross .Mankind inspired by the father of lies. And last the witness of faith in the tomb, unseen to human eyes.

Mathew 26: 36-40 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy. And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words. Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the language of the DAY you need to question. The word 'day' has many meanings.

In the example I have just given, the word DAY means thousands of years. Likewise if we go for a day trip we are not gone for 24 hours.

I still have to place my understanding, not on what a man, [Jew] would consider to be a Day, or part of a day. I must place my understanding to the One Who Created all things including Days and Nights. The One Sign, includes both Days and Nights, to follow after a mans reasoning would place me at the root of most misconceptions.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise the glorious Lord . All i know is JESUS ROSE ON THE THIRD DAY , and now all who do believe
have all hope in HIM . That means its high time to praise and thank the Lord .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps somebody new visiting this topic may know of examples.
I don't see any doctrinal significance to the details of 'three days and three nights', and so people can pretty much believe what they want. I would rate it along with taking one day or hour much like another. I go by the society I'm living in midnight to midnight. And I would think someone is being purposely pompous in my society, if they went around talking of days according the evening and the morning thereof.

I mean, if someone in my town starting talking about this coming friday night, and was really referring to Saturday morning, then I'd probably want to slap them silly, but just end up walking away from there stupidity.

Paul did include 'rose on the third day' as essential to the Gospel of how Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose on the third day according to the Scriptures.

I wonder if there is something in that. He must be speaking of the Gospels already written in His time, being referred to as Scripture along with those of the old covenant.

The only prophecy of a third day is in Hosea, where the smitten people we be revived by the Lord after two days, and then raised up to live in His sight on the third.

It is Jesus in the gospels that began to prophesy His rising again the third day after being killed.

I would think a topic on the third day in Scripture would be more important to me.

For instance, on the third day the Lord descended on the mount in the sight of the people, and so now the Lord ascends from the heart of the earth to be seen of the disciples.

On the third day the passover lamb was to be wholly burnt, and Jesus' sacrifice was a burnt offering (Gen 22:8), which therefore must have been in the heart of the earth, not on the cross itself. On the cross the Lamb of God's blood with water was shed out, which was the law of sacrifice to pour out and sprinkle upon the altar, and so the cross is God's altar of sacrifice. Also the ram of consecration had his legs washed in water, even as Jesus.

God provided Himself a burnt offering to save Isaac, and He shed His own blood and provided His own water from within, that we should be the seed of promise as Isaac. (Gal 4)

Also, the flesh of the peace offering was not to be eaten on the third day, but rather burnt, and if any was eaten, then it was an abomination and they that ate would still be in their sins. This would further nullify any thought that Jesus meant eating His personal flesh and drinking His natural blood in John 6.

If a dead body were touched, then cleansing required the third and seventh day, and if not on the third, then the seventh was unclean still, and that soul is cut off by defiling the tabernacle. This could mean that without faith in the resurrection on the third day, as Paul contended with in 1 Cor 15, we are yet in our sins, and our rest in Christ on the 7th day would be unclean.