Three Days?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Time ... Biblically speaking!

What time was it when Jonah got swallowed by the fish?
What time was it when he was spit out? He was in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights. To think that it was exactly 72 hours is unrealistic. For sure we know it was more than 48 hours plus at least part of a day and part of a night, but not exactly. We don't even know if it was day or night when they threw him into the sea.
The ancient Jews did not consider hours of the day, they were blurry and general at best. In dating an event the day mattered, even a half day, but that is as fine tuned as history was.
"Shaah", the word for hour in Daniel means "look" or "glance", just a moment in time, not 60 minutes. "Hour" in Dan. 3:6 could very well mean "in an instant", or "twinkling of an eye". In the NT, an hour could mean an instant, a portion of an hour, an hour, a few hours, a day or season. Astonomers knew divisions of the day, used mechanisms like the clepsydra, but common people didn't.

People back then did not carry a sundial with them. King Ahaz had one, but maybe it wasn't a dial but no more than the shadow on the steps, used as a rudimentary time clock?
People had a concept of time much different than we do today. Hours and minutes are crucial in our day but not so back then. Exact time measurements are not known. If something happened a few days ago, they would recall the day but not the exact time. They had an awareness of part of the day if they had looked at the sun at that moment. If not, they could certainly say it was sunrise or sunset or close to either, but no events were recalled in hours and minutes. There was even less awareness of night time. If someone went to sleep before sunset and woke up in the dark, they would not know what part of the night it was.
They recalled five portions of the day, two that were precise and three relatively close: sunrise, mid-morning, noon, mid afternoon and sunset. So the 3rd hour, 6th hour and 9th hour is used when describing Jesus crucifixion. The first, second, fourth, fifth, eighth and 12th hours are never mentioned in the Bible.
Actually the Jews in Bible times, gave a special name to the afternoon of the sixth day (our Friday afternoon), "The Preparation," and some of us understand what that was for. Our Sunday, was known as "The Morrow of the Sabbath" or "First day of the week" until the end of the Bible where we see a different name, "The Lord's Day".
Happy Resurrection Day!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Judge not lest you be judged. Your theology is flawed. Frustration has turned to a mean spirited battle against practically the entire Body of Christ. If you are part of that Body, it is as if you are taking a hammer and smashing every finger, toe and limb to get us all in order, angry, shouting, frailing insults ... just plain bad theology, with zero discernment and no fruit!

Sounds like you are talking to yourself trying to persuade yourself to believe yourself ... in vain.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights. To think that it was exactly 72 hours is unrealistic.

To think the time Jonah was in the belly any number of hours other than 72 is what is unrealistic! (+/- a reasonable tolerance). The only reason to think otherwise is someone has an agenda.

The obvious agenda is the man-made tradition that Jesus died on Friday and rose Sunday @ dawn. Neither are true - based on an understanding of Scripture. Many forget the week Jesus died was a holy week. There were several Sabbath's that week. Some modern translations get this precisely correct.

I did not even realize until I looked into this question some years ago that Sabbath's are not just on Saturday. Sure, there are regular Sabbath's that do occur on Saturday. But every Jewish holy day is a Special Sabbath and I don't think any day is more special than Passover.

Jesus died on the Day of Preparation, the day before Passover. He was put in the tomb at dusk, the end of the Jewish Day. Right before the dawning of a new day (and I do not mean daylight but beginning). That day was the most Special Sabbath, the Passover. The Old Covenant was replaced by the New Covenant. The blood of an animal put on the door to allow the Angel of Death to pass over their house, was replaced by the blood of the Son of God. The timing is not just poetic, it is divine.

Jesus rose at the beginning of the new week, Saturday at sunset. (+/- a reasonable tolerance). And he rose into a new era, the Age of Grace. Amen.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is amazing how some people are so fixated on destroying the Lord's Day, the Day of His Resurrection. Really, it can be likened to turning back the tide, or as Solomon put it, chasing after the wind, and leading them into futility. You boys are carrying a heavy load that I am afraid you will take to your grave.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is amazing how some people are so fixated on destroying the Lord's Day

I have no idea what would make you say that. We are discussing 3 days, not destroying anything.

Since you mentioned it, I do want to highlight the parallel between the LORD's day of beginning Creation with the Lord's Day of being resurrected in an incorruptible body. The timing is not just poetic but divine.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It is amazing how some people are so fixated on destroying the Lord's Day, the Day of His Resurrection. Really, it can be likened to turning back the tide, or as Solomon put it, chasing after the wind, and leading them into futility. You boys are carrying a heavy load that I am afraid you will take to your grave.

You live in your own dream-world. Sunday for two millennia now has been the altar of the prophets of Baal calling for fire of acknowledgement from heaven upon it, but heaven refuses because Sunday never has been the Lord's Day, but all the ages has been the Beast's mark of religious tyranny, suppression, persecution, and homicide.
Sunday has always been the reason for mutilation, corruption, and ABUSE AND RAPE of Holy Scripture -- nothing comes near its history in wickedness and ungodliness.

I will speak one prophesy in my life, and that is, that the world will SOON see and experience how true believers of true Christian Faith are killed BY THE CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN CHURCH for believing and confessing their LORD and GOD Jesus Christ who rose from the dead on the Seventh Day Sabbath of the Lord God of creation and the passover exodus.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“By their fruit you will know them!”

Gerhard’s words in Red:

“Lies, lies, lies, ‘Christian lies’, blaspheming bigots’ LIES!” (Post #217)

>> calling Christians liars, blasphemers and bigots.

“None of you care anything at all about what the Word of God is; none of you care a hell for God's Truth” (#87)

>> Baring false witness against your neighbor and making false accusations and claiming we don’t care about God’s Word – be careful!

“It is that time of year once again when WC graffiti invades and kills like black-spot fungi every surviving plant of good food.” (#102)

>> I guess we are all just spreading a disease! Is there a vaccine for that? Maybe Dr. Gerhard is hooked up with Astra Zeneca – watch out for those blood clots though!

“Blah blah soulless untruth lullaby.” (#114)

>> Ah, we don’t have souls and sing lies. And I was a professional singer for 12 years – never knew that.

“the only fruit that interests me is, Scripture” (#116)

>> So Gerhard, you are not interested in the Holy Spirit producing good fruit in you? The Holy Spirit will be grieved about that … if you have the Holy Spirit?

“Jesus died near the end of the day BEFORE, NOT ON 'Friday' as you, falsely allege -- LET ME SHOUT IT! And NEVER as you falsely allege rose He <on Sunday>, NEVER - LET ME SHOUT IT! And absolutely NOTHING really <<throws it into confusion>> least <<the day starting at 6 pm>> because that absolutely clearly is "WHEN EVENING HAD HAD STARTED" (#147)

>> Well, I guess not only heresy has truly been exposed here … temper, temper!

“I am not a scholar; I was a plumber all my life.” (#153)

>>> The most truthful statement of all!

“I deliberately am trying to attack the universally and traditionally accepted days that Jesus died and rose, to justify the ONLY reason for being of the Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD” (#165)

>> Now here we have the motivation of this whole diabolical movement by Gerhard, the Plumber.

“The history of Christian theology and its thousands of Christian scholars is of all human history most pathetic.” (#212)

>> Calling most of Christian theologians _ throughout history _ scholars who have studied their Bibles, languages, History, hermeneutics _ our beloved brothers, who loved the Lord and devoted their lives – even to the levels beyond that of a Plumber _ all pathetic!

“But of all the Achilles heal has been that they all, also have been bitten at the heal by that old devil serpent Antichrist Beast of Roman Catholicism, and never recovered fully of its most poisonous venom, Sunday sacredness.” (#212)

>> Ouch, that mean old devil has bitten us! He even went as far as to disguise himself as a Roman Catholic! You beast, how could you deceive us so badly by blinding us about the most important event in history? But Satan, truly, what did that accomplish? We still believe in Jesus!
That’s all folly! No, the Devil spends most of his time leading people away from Christ and away from the Scriptures!

"Sunday for two millennia now has been the altar of the prophets of Baal"

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now you're talking Scene: Crucifixion.
Then you were talking Scene: Resurrection.
As concerns the guard; At the cross it was morning and mid-day shift guard for Thursday who in <turmoil>, "heart-beating", at the "EARTHQUAKE", "RAN" and "WENT HOME", i.e., left the Scene / "Spectacle" of Crucifixion, "ALTOGETHR". Note that the quotation marks mark SCRIPTURE quoted!

As concerns the guard; At the Resurrection it was morning and mid-day shift guard "on the Sabbath", viz., arranged in Matthew 27 from verse 62 for 'Saturday' ROMAN DAY (which would end midnight 'Saturday night'), who AT THE "EARTHQUAKE MID-AFTERNOON FELL DOWN UNCONSCIOUS IN STUPOR LIKE DEAD", who, when they had recovered some time before sunset, must have consulted some other place away from the tomb, before they the Sunday morning "entered the city" and headed straight for the high priest's home. Note that the quotation marks mark SCRIPTURE quoted!

As my pastor said last Sunday during his sermon, people will see only what they want to see. It seems that you are wanting to see only what you want to see. Your dogmatic understanding is linked to the manner in which the translators originally translated the Greek text, i.e. the English text, which you are treating as being infallible, whereas, I have considered the Greek text words and see that the translators did the best that they could initially at translating the scriptures, and had the same sort of discussion that we are, and the forceful ones won out on this point and so to be consistent with other occurrences of "sesimos," they also translated these occurrences as "earthquake," even though the Greek Root word was different for describing a "quake" where the earth shook.

Your rebuttal is one of invalidation, and is a false argument technique often used to win a discussion/disagreement. This certainly is the case with your rebuttal on this particular point which goes like, "I am right, you are wrong, their I must be right and you should accept my point of view."

Sorry, that does not work at all and only shows your ignorance on the matter.

Shalom

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SEISMOS = a great shaking

it is used in Revelation to say "earthquake in Heaven" - which doesn't make literal sense

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
“By their fruit you will know them!”

Gerhard’s words in Red:

“Lies, lies, lies, ‘Christian lies’, blaspheming bigots’ LIES!” (Post #217)

>> calling Christians liars, blasphemers and bigots.

“None of you care anything at all about what the Word of God is; none of you care a hell for God's Truth” (#87)

>> Baring false witness against your neighbor and making false accusations and claiming we don’t care about God’s Word – be careful!

“It is that time of year once again when WC graffiti invades and kills like black-spot fungi every surviving plant of good food.” (#102)

>> I guess we are all just spreading a disease! Is there a vaccine for that? Maybe Dr. Gerhard is hooked up with Astra Zeneca – watch out for those blood clots though!

“Blah blah soulless untruth lullaby.” (#114)

>> Ah, we don’t have souls and sing lies. And I was a professional singer for 12 years – never knew that.

“the only fruit that interests me is, Scripture” (#116)

>> So Gerhard, you are not interested in the Holy Spirit producing good fruit in you? The Holy Spirit will be grieved about that … if you have the Holy Spirit?

“Jesus died near the end of the day BEFORE, NOT ON 'Friday' as you, falsely allege -- LET ME SHOUT IT! And NEVER as you falsely allege rose He <on Sunday>, NEVER - LET ME SHOUT IT! And absolutely NOTHING really <<throws it into confusion>> least <<the day starting at 6 pm>> because that absolutely clearly is "WHEN EVENING HAD HAD STARTED" (#147)

>> Well, I guess not only heresy has truly been exposed here … temper, temper!

“I am not a scholar; I was a plumber all my life.” (#153)

>>> The most truthful statement of all!

“I deliberately am trying to attack the universally and traditionally accepted days that Jesus died and rose, to justify the ONLY reason for being of the Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD” (#165)

>> Now here we have the motivation of this whole diabolical movement by Gerhard, the Plumber.

“The history of Christian theology and its thousands of Christian scholars is of all human history most pathetic.” (#212)

>> Calling most of Christian theologians _ throughout history _ scholars who have studied their Bibles, languages, History, hermeneutics _ our beloved brothers, who loved the Lord and devoted their lives – even to the levels beyond that of a Plumber _ all pathetic!

“But of all the Achilles heal has been that they all, also have been bitten at the heal by that old devil serpent Antichrist Beast of Roman Catholicism, and never recovered fully of its most poisonous venom, Sunday sacredness.” (#212)

>> Ouch, that mean old devil has bitten us! He even went as far as to disguise himself as a Roman Catholic! You beast, how could you deceive us so badly by blinding us about the most important event in history? But Satan, truly, what did that accomplish? We still believe in Jesus!
That’s all folly! No, the Devil spends most of his time leading people away from Christ and away from the Scriptures!

"Sunday for two millennia now has been the altar of the prophets of Baal"

It gives me great pleasure to announce:

Read
Saved
Scored: -10/-10

The best worst find in post treasures yet!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
As my pastor said last Sunday during his sermon, people will see only what they want to see. It seems that you are wanting to see only what you want to see. Your dogmatic understanding is linked to the manner in which the translators originally translated the Greek text, i.e. the English text, which you are treating as being infallible, whereas, I have considered the Greek text words and see that the translators did the best that they could initially at translating the scriptures, and had the same sort of discussion that we are, and the forceful ones won out on this point and so to be consistent with other occurrences of "sesimos," they also translated these occurrences as "earthquake," even though the Greek Root word was different for describing a "quake" where the earth shook.

Your rebuttal is one of invalidation, and is a false argument technique often used to win a discussion/disagreement. This certainly is the case with your rebuttal on this particular point which goes like, "I am right, you are wrong, their I must be right and you should accept my point of view."

Sorry, that does not work at all and only shows your ignorance on the matter.

Respected foe / friend? The 'seismos' issue was not what I addressed in the first place or last. That was just a buy the way, and still is for me, now and here.

I tried to show you the Gospels unanimously record TWO DAYS in succession from (sunset) start, to (sunset) ending. For that succession in terms of physical rotational time progression of planet earth, please refer to i.a., post #121.

But notice please, that THOSE TWO DAYS besides being indicated in the Gospels AT the EVENING-beginning of each and AT the mid-afternoon ending of each, BOTH, in between have recorded certain people who were THERE, AT the "sight" at the crucifixion ON day one of the two days, and AT the "preparing .. FOR TO BURY .. That Night by Joseph and Nicodemus, and afterwards AT the Interment AT the tomb "mid-afternoon ON That Day The Preparation".
Two DIFFERENT groups of people AFTER two DIFFERENT events ON: TWO, DIFFERENT DAYS.

That was what I tried to show you but you did not, could not, or would not pay any attention to. Now I cannot prove that you did in fact notice what I attempted to make you see, but I am sure with this post of yours, that you are PRETENDING that you have not noticed. In other words, I question your honesty.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Respected foe / friend? The 'seismos' issue was not what I addressed in the first place or last. That was just a buy the way, and still is for me, now and here.

I tried to show you the Gospels unanimously record TWO DAYS in succession from (sunset) start, to (sunset) ending. For that succession in terms of physical rotational time progression of planet earth, please refer to i.a., post #121.

But notice please, that THOSE TWO DAYS besides being indicated in the Gospels AT the EVENING-beginning of each and AT the mid-afternoon ending of each, BOTH, in between have recorded certain people who were THERE, AT the "sight" at the crucifixion ON day one of the two days, and AT the "preparing .. FOR TO BURY .. That Night by Joseph and Nicodemus, and afterwards AT the Interment AT the tomb "mid-afternoon ON That Day The Preparation".
Two DIFFERENT groups of people AFTER two DIFFERENT events ON: TWO, DIFFERENT DAYS.

That was what I tried to show you but you did not, could not, or would not pay any attention to. Now I cannot prove that you did in fact notice what I attempted to make you see, but I am sure with this post of yours, that you are PRETENDING that you have not noticed. In other words, I question your honesty.

Please note that I did not enter this thread until my #174 post in this thread. In that post I made no reference to the length of time that Christ was in the Tomb, nor to the day that Christ was crucified. Any interaction with you was about whether or not "seismos" should be translated as "Turmoil" or as "earthquake." At no other time have I attempted to discuss anything else in my posts in this thread.

It would seem to me that you have lost your way in your interactions with people in this particular thread, just like you have in your understanding of the scriptures on Christ's crucifixion. The sign that Jesus gave when asked was the sign of Jonah and indicated that he would be in the grave for three days, irrespective of our "Christian" traditions and or understandings.

Since you have become lost as to who you have been talking with in this thread and the subject matters with respect to your discussion with others in this thread, may I humbly suggest that you with draw from your discussions in this thread, until you have straightened out your mind such that people can have an intelligent conversation with you.

Shalom

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It gives me great pleasure to announce:

Read
Saved
Scored: -10/-10

The best worst find in post treasures yet!
-10/-10 = 1.

Actuall, one of my comments was incomplete, well a partial mistake. I sad "the Devil does not lead people to Jesus and to the Bible." Thats true but I nees to expand on that. His strategy shifts if you are already a Christian, believing in Jesus and your Bible, then his mission is to create lies and confusion, distort the meaning of scripture to throw you off, cause you to stumble and stunt your growth. When Jesus has commanded us to love one another and that is repeated dozens of times, Satan moves in to create hate. Where Jesus wants us to be in harmony, in one mind, Satan causes division.
So Satan will use scripture against us, twisting it, distorting it, He is very clever. Just as He questioned Eve in the Garden about what God sad. He cleverly distorted it.

Gerhard, wouldn't you agree with the above statements?

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday never has been the Lord's Day, but all the ages has been the Beast's mark of religious tyranny, suppression, persecution, and homicide.
Sunday has always been the reason for mutilation, corruption, and ABUSE AND RAPE of Holy Scripture -- nothing comes near its history in wickedness and ungodliness.
The Lord's Day, Sunday, the day He rose from the dead is a day of love, the greatest day of love in history. But you hate it. Satan hates it too.

I will speak one prophesy in my life, and that is, that the world will SOON see and experience how true believers of true Christian Faith are killed BY THE CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN CHURCH for believing and confessing their LORD and GOD Jesus Christ who rose from the dead on the Seventh Day Sabbath of the Lord God of creation and the passover exodus.

The Roman Catholic Church has its flaws and so do we all. Much pain and suffering in history has come in the name of Christ: hate, murder, a complete misrepresentation of God. We are sinners and though we may believe in God, we walk in the flesh sometimes ... maybe most of the time? The RCC carried the gospel for a long time, centuries and still does. They put their faith in Jesus, are Christians but carry with them some false practices. It does not invalidate their faith. Enough was enough, so God sent Martin Luther to correct some things, not to condemn the church. This is very much like the letters to the Seven Churches. Two churches were faithful and the rest were scolded and needed to repent.
2.5 billion Christians, the majority of whom believe that Christ died on Friday for our sins and rose on Sunday will be saved. Even those who are confused and err about this and many other doctrines, as long as they put their faith in Jesus, believe in him, will be saved.
It is fine that you worship on the Sabbath. Frankly I worship the Lord everyday. But whatever your day of rest, the point is, to set one day aside for God and pray, read His Word and meditate on it.
Don't hate people who love the Lord
just because you think they err in some way or another.

Last edited: