Times Jesus contradicted/"override" the Old Testament

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exo 20:14 "You shall not commit adultery.

Change of Law given by the Son of God... Neighbors wife does not include all types of adultery
If I covet someone else's wife besides my neighbor's wife that's a different type of adultery?

Mat 5:21 "You have heard that it was said to an older generation, 'Do not murder,' and 'whoever murders will be subjected to judgment.'
22 But I say to you that anyone who is angry with a brother will be subjected to judgment. And whoever insults a brother will be brought before the council, and whoever says 'Fool' will be sent to fiery hell.

Sure is different than Murder! Must have been a CHANGE!
No, that's not a new law. It's always been in the law:

"17You must not harbor hatred against your brother in your heart." Leviticus 19:17

Mat 5:31 "It was said, 'Whoever divorces his wife must give her a legal document.' 32 But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Sure looks like a change to me?
Yes, this is a change of law. Changed back to what it should have been. As head Rabbi, Moses had the authority to make binding, lawful decisions like this (Deuteronomy 17:8-11). Jesus, being of higher Rabbinical rank than Moses, reversed it. So you got one change of law in the Sermon on the Mount.

Mat 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor' and 'hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you,

Sure looks like a change to me?
No, the law never said to hate your enemy. I think that came from a misunderstanding of 2 Chronicles 19:2. The law does instruct us to love our enemies, so no change of law here:

"4If you encounter your enemy’s stray ox or donkey, you must return it to him.5If you see the donkey of one who hates you fallen under its load, do not leave it there; you must help him with it." Exodus 23:4-5
So, you see, Jesus was not changing the law and raising the bar of righteousness that way. What Jesus was doing was making the Pharisees see that they were not the righteous law keepers they thought they were. They excelled in the outward stuff, but failed miserably at the inner stuff - inner stuff that was also included in the law that they were so sure they kept. Jesus is telling us we have to keep all the law in order to have the righteousness that surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelvpardo

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone know a compilation of all the times Jesus "override" or contradicted what was written in the Old Testament/Tanakh?
He didn’t contradict it, He changed it.

Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

The law of Moses said, an eye for an eye. Jesus changed that.

Mat 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:(the law)

Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. (The change in the law)

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I covet someone else's wife besides my neighbor's wife that's a different type of adultery?

"17You must not harbor hatred against your brother in your heart." Leviticus 19:17

Yes, this is a change of law. Changed back to what it should have been. As head Rabbi, Moses had the authority to make binding, lawful decisions like this (Deuteronomy 17:8-11). Jesus, being of higher Rabbinical rank than Moses, reversed it. So you got one change of law in the Sermon on the Mount.

No, the law never said to hate your enemy. I think that came from a misunderstanding of 2 Chronicles 19:2. The law does instruct us to love our enemies, so no change of law here:

"4If you encounter your enemy’s stray ox or donkey, you must return it to him.5If you see the donkey of one who hates you fallen under its load, do not leave it there; you must help him with it." Exodus 23:4-5
So, you see, Jesus was not changing the law and raising the bar of righteousness that way. What Jesus was doing was making the Pharisees see that they were not the righteous law keepers they thought they were. They excelled in the outward stuff, but failed miserably at the inner stuff - inner stuff that was also included in the law that they were so sure they kept. Jesus is telling us we have to keep all the law in order to have the righteousness that surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law.

Marriage isn’t the parts of the law Jesus changed.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus magnified the law into this: It cannot be kept by letter, but by love. Love is the fulfilling of the Law.

The commandments will not be kept because we have to, but because we want to. We won't steal, not because it is against the law, but because we love our brothers or sisters so much that we wouldn't do it out of love. This love is given to us by God.

We cannot of our own selves do this--we lack the capacity. We can keep the law in what love we have, and with Christ covering our sinfulness, God sees it as kept.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's make our own list.
I'll start.
High Priest Jesus married a woman defiled by prostitution.

Leviticus 21:13-15
"13The woman he (the High Priest) marries must be a virgin. 14He is not to marry a widow, a divorced woman, or one defiled by prostitution. He is to marry a virgin from his own people, 15so that he does not defile his offspring among his people"
The verse doesn't apply. This was the law for the order of Aaron, not Melchizedek.
As far as we know, Melchizedek wasn't even Hebrew.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan loves to plant seeds of doubt!! Who wants to help satan??
To answer your question, every accuser of the brethren that slithers around this site trying to convince us that Jesus isn't God, that His word can't be trusted, and that only those who agree with their lies can be saved (if they do enough not to loose their salvation.)

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but instead of casting it down and breaking it, God in his wisdom fulfilled it:

"I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them." Matthew 5:17
Jesus taught the law, there was no New Covenant yet, but He certainly knew about it and His purpose in establishing it.
Jesus went to great lengths to establish that salvation was an impossibility for men, yet 2000 years later, people that claim to believe Him are still trying to make their own way.
Does that bother you?
Its interesting to note this statement:

Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:19
The thing of note is that from the least to the greatest, all are in "the kingdom of heaven."

It seems like arguments over law keeping are kind of moot if your concern is only escaping destruction.

I've never understood the desire for "greatness" though I like the idea of being a servant to all (and had delusions or fantasies of grandeur as a child.) It was fun to set up all the little toy soldiers and then knock them down again. Who doesn't want to be the great and powerful Oz at the age of 10 or so?

There's joy in service so being a servant to all adds up to a lot of joy, but the desire to be number 1? I think Lucifer went there and it cost him.
But, I guess the desire to be as God is as old as Adam and Eve. I think its very funny that the world wants to be the GOAT. It doesn't go well for Azazel.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
healing on the sabbath
disciples plucking grains on sabbath
There's actually another law which allows the poor to walk through the standing grain and eat as they go, so the accusers in that instance were believing Talmud rather than Moses (Talmud goes to great lengths to define work and is based upon Rabbinical opinions.)

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus sometimes referred to "your law " instead of Moses, because the Jews generally held to the Talmud and oral traditions of law, not just Moses.There are huge differences between Moses and the traditions. At least one Rabbi has instructed followers who had the impulse to have a forbidden sexual relationship to go to another town where they aren't known (like Judah did.)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's make our own list.
I'll start.
High Priest Jesus married a woman defiled by prostitution.

Leviticus 21:13-15
"13The woman he (the High Priest) marries must be a virgin. 14He is not to marry a widow, a divorced woman, or one defiled by prostitution. He is to marry a virgin from his own people, 15so that he does not defile his offspring among his people"

Who did Jesus marry…?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet he chose to fulfill it, not break it.
He fulfilled the law by being the sacrifice for our sins that the law foreshadowed.
He kept the law, fulfilled the law, then changed the law by ending the law, nailing the ordinances and commands that were against us to the cross.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verse doesn't apply. This was the law for the order of Aaron, not Melchizedek.
As far as we know, Melchizedek wasn't even Hebrew.

And we aren’t married to Jesus until the new birth, fresh start, all past and old sins forgiven and forgotten, leaving no judicial record of sins, thus Jesus marries a chaste virgin, which is what born again believers are called.

IMO it’s obvious that Melchizedek is Jesus, BTW.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Does anyone know a compilation of all the times Jesus "override" or contradicted what was written in the Old Testament/Tanakh?
There are plenty of resources that compare Old & New Testaments, an abundance in fact. The Thompson Chain Reference Bible has an excellent reference section and apparatus for detailed research into the subjects and integrity of the Bible.
Covenants Compared.jpg

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus went to great lengths to establish that salvation was an impossibility for men, yet 2000 years later, people that claim to believe Him are still trying to make their own way.
Does that bother you?
Not as much as it used to.
I can't tell if that's because I'm getting old and don't care anymore, lol, or if I'm being fooled by these people into thinking that they're really saved. Whatever the real reason is, I hope I'm erring on the side of wisdom by not getting too excited about the reality of their fate.

Its interesting to note this statement:

Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:19
The thing of note is that from the least to the greatest, all are in "the kingdom of heaven."
Maybe he's referring to the polluted kingdom that he was talking about here:

"41The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will weed out of His kingdom every cause of sin and all who practice lawlessness." Matthew 13:41

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus sometimes referred to "your law " instead of Moses, because the Jews generally held to the Talmud and oral traditions of law, not just Moses.
The scary part being these judgments were binding on the people. Jesus saved the people of God from that garbage.