Timing of the abomination of desolation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
I don't believe in Preterism, or even partial Preterism, but what Jesus is talking about regarding Daniel has to do with the subject He was talking about regarding the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.

There is no "abomination of desolation" mentioned in Revelation, the book on the Great Tribulation to come and the second coming. The Great Tribulation regarding the woman, Israel, in Revelation 12 and 13 is two periods of 3.5 years each. The "rest of her offspring" is the Church. So, yes, the Church goes through the GT, but the Philadelphians will be protected like the children of Israel were protected by the blood during the plagues of Egypt

The abomination that causes desolation is placed in Jerusalem on the day of the Lord. That is when the resurection takes place as well.
Anyone who has studied Daniel 12:1-2 knows Jesus was quoting that verse when talking about the abomination of desolation.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The abomination that causes desolation is placed in Jerusalem on the day of the Lord. That is when the resurection takes place as well.
Anyone who has studied Daniel 12:1-2 knows Jesus was quoting that verse when talking about the abomination of desolation.

Boy is that not true! I've read Daniel 12 for 50 years and never entertained such a thing! ;) The usual belief, from history, is that one of the AoDs was Antiochus 4. The other AoD, in Dan 9.27, is thought to be the Roman Army, or the Antichrist. I believe it to be the Roman Army.

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
Boy is that not true! I've read Daniel 12 for 50 years and never entertained such a thing! ;) The usual belief, from history, is that one of the AoDs was Antiochus 4. The other AoD, in Dan 9.27, is thought to be the Roman Army, or the Antichrist. I believe it to be the Roman Army.

So who are you saying is wrong, Jesus or Daniel?

Here Daniel say there shall be a time of distress, not since the beginning of nations untill then.

Daniel 12:1 "At that time Michael, the great prince who stands watch over your people, will rise up. There will be a time of distress, the likes of which will not have occurred from the beginning of nations until that time. But at that time your people--everyone whose name is found written in the book--will be delivered.
Daniel 12:2 And many who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake, some to everlasting life, but others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Jesus says the same thing talking about the abomination that causes desolation.

Matthew 24:21 NIV: For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now--and never to be equaled again.

Or are you trying to say that the resurection of everyone found written took place in 70 AD?

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He answered it in Matthew 24:15-22/Mark 13:14-20/Luke 21:20-24, as I've pointed out more than once before.

None of those are related to the destruction of the temple or city. The AoD is the antichrist and he will rule from the city not destroy it. The city and it's streets are perfectly intact when the two prophets are killed in Revelation 11. People are having parties to celebrate. That is not compatible with the city being raised to the ground.

LOL. It's quite clear who is lacking in credibility here. Can you give even one valid reason why Jesus would not have answered that question? Good luck.

Those asking questions do not dictate what a discourse will be about. He didn't need to answer the first question. He instead focused upon all the events of the endtimes surrounding the Great Tribulation.

Except that it did. You take this to mean every single building, wall, object, etc. in the city being destroyed, but that isn't what Jesus was saying.

Luk 19:41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,
Luk 19:42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.
Luk 19:43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
Luk 19:44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

More of the prophecy! Christ said the city would be even with the ground with no stone upon another. This is not limited to just the temple or some other close buildings but this applies to the entire city. That any walls still stand means this prophecy has not been fulfilled.

We need to use spiritual discernment to interpret scripture (1 Cor 2:9-14) rather than using the hyper-literal approach that you do.

You are the one employing a hyper-symbolism when it is not called for.

Go ahead and interpret hyperbolic text literally if you want. You refuse to take into account the writing style and type of text being used in any given verse or passage and always just assume it's all literal. That's not wise.

It's also not even true. I can recognize symbolic language as well as literal language. YOU refuse to take into account the writing style and type of text being used in certain passages then you hypocritically criticize others.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So who are you saying is wrong, Jesus or Daniel?

I'm sorry, I reacted too quickly. Dan 12 is indeed referrence to an AoD and many have thought it refers to Antiochus 4. Many also may have thought the reference Jesus made in his Olivet Discourse was to Dan 12, as if it was a reference to the Antichrist.

Historically, I believe that most believed Jesus was making reference to the AoD in Dan 9, where the destruction of the city and the sanctuary is mentioned. What "short-circuited" me was your point blank claim, without disclaimer, that virtually all commentators believe Jesus' reference in the Olivet Discourse was to Dan 12.

Clearly, that is not true, since most in the Early Church viewed the primary reference was to Dan 9.26-27. However, those same likely viewed Dan 8, 11, and 12.7 to refer to Antiochus 4, which Jesus clearly could *not* have been referring to. Sorry I came across so aggressively.

Yes, this is, I believe, the same distress and tribulation Jesus spoke of in his Olivet Discourse when referring to the Jewish Diaspora of the current NT age. It is the worst Jewish Punishment in history, and will end only at the 2nd Coming, or the end of the current age of Jewish suffering.

Yes, it is even clearer in Luke 21, where Jesus describes this Great Tribulation as a Jewish Punishment, beginning in 70 AD with the destruction of the temple and ending at the end of the age with the Return of Christ. Same distress that began right after Antiochus 4's persecution of the Jews--the very time that Rome started mobilizing to take control of the territory around Israel.

Rome, therefore, was the leadership and the military that Dan 9 speaks of, who stabilized the region of Israel so that Christ could complete his ministry, ie "confirmed the covenant," and they are the ones who "cut off" Christ, terminating God's sacrifices and offerings. When Christ died, it effectively ended the value of OT sacrtifices and offerings at the temple. And it was these Romen elements that brought about the abomination of desolation, approaching the holy city with a pagan army and desolating both the city and the sanctuary.

Or are you trying to say that the resurection of everyone found written took place in 70 AD?

No, the resurrection of the saints follows the Great Tribulation of the Jewish People in the current NT age. It takes place at Christ's Return at the end of the age. This is the order and the arrangement of both Dan 12 and the Olivet Discourse, both of them agreeing with one another.

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
I'm sorry, I reacted too quickly. Dan 12 is indeed referrence to an AoD and many have thought it refers to Antiochus 4. Many also may have thought the reference Jesus made in his Olivet Discourse was to Dan 12, as if it was a reference to the Antichrist.

Historically, I believe that most believed Jesus was making reference to the AoD in Dan 9, where the destruction of the city and the sanctuary is mentioned. What "short-circuited" me was your point blank claim, without disclaimer, that virtually all commentators believe Jesus' reference in the Olivet Discourse was to Dan 12.

Clearly, that is not true, since most in the Early Church viewed the primary reference was to Dan 9.26-27. However, those same likely viewed Dan 8, 11, and 12.7 to refer to Antiochus 4, which Jesus clearly could *not* have been referring to. Sorry I came across so aggressively.

Yes, this is, I believe, the same distress and tribulation Jesus spoke of in his Olivet Discourse when referring to the Jewish Diaspora of the current NT age. It is the worst Jewish Punishment in history, and will end only at the 2nd Coming, or the end of the current age of Jewish suffering.

Yes, it is even clearer in Luke 21, where Jesus describes this Great Tribulation as a Jewish Punishment, beginning in 70 AD with the destruction of the temple and ending at the end of the age with the Return of Christ. Same distress that began right after Antiochus 4's persecution of the Jews--the very time that Rome started mobilizing to take control of the territory around Israel.

Rome, therefore, was the leadership and the military that Dan 9 speaks of, who stabilized the region of Israel so that Christ could complete his ministry, ie "confirmed the covenant," and they are the ones who "cut off" Christ, terminating God's sacrifices and offerings. When Christ died, it effectively ended the value of OT sacrtifices and offerings at the temple. And it was these Romen elements that brought about the abomination of desolation, approaching the holy city with a pagan army and desolating both the city and the sanctuary.

No, the resurrection of the saints follows the Great Tribulation of the Jewish People in the current NT age. It takes place at Christ's Return at the end of the age. This is the order and the arrangement of both Dan 12 and the Olivet Discourse, both of them agreeing with one another.

Luke 21:22 KJV: For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

All that is written has not been fulfilled.
Israel hasn't even finished its planned cashless society yet. Give it a few more years. :)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
The Punishment of Israel is to last from 70 AD to the end of the age. I have no idea how many years are left?

The wrath of God has not been dished out on Israel yet. At least allow those in Israel who worship the beast to recieve its mark before thinking gods wrath has been administered upon israel.
You havnt seen nothing yet.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wrath of God has not been dished out on Israel yet. At least allow those in Israel who worship the beast to recieve its mark before thinking gods wrath has been administered upon israel.
You havnt seen nothing yet.

Jesus specifically cited sins in Israel *in his own time,* and argued they were leading to judgment *in his generation.* That's when the punishment of the Jews began. That's when the longest punishment in their history began, the Jewish Diaspora.

You don't think the destruction of Jewish religion under the Law was a "Jewish Punishment?" You don't think the defeat of Jerusalem by the Romans was a "Jewish Punishment?" You don't think the scattering of Jews across the globe was a "Jewish Punishment?"

All of these things were a form of Divine Wrath directed at Israel, beginning at the time when Jews rejected their Messiah and engaged in religious apostasy, abandoning both faith and morals. God's wrath has *not* been waiting until the Mark of the Beast is issued to them!

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
Jesus specifically cited sins in Israel *in his own time,* and argued they were leading to judgment *in his generation.* That's when the punishment of the Jews began. That's when the longest punishment in their history began, the Jewish Diaspora.

You don't think the destruction of Jewish religion under the Law was a "Jewish Punishment?" You don't think the defeat of Jerusalem by the Romans was a "Jewish Punishment?" You don't think the scattering of Jews across the globe was a "Jewish Punishment?"

All of these things were a form of Divine Wrath directed at Israel, beginning at the time when Jews rejected their Messiah and engaged in religious apostasy, abandoning both faith and morals. God's wrath has *not* been waiting until the Mark of the Beast is issued to them!

The wrath Jesus is talking about in Luke 21 is associated with the abomination that causes desolation. It's when they flee for the mountains at the sight of it. Zech wrote about it as well in Zech 14.It takes place on the day of the Lord.

Zechariah 14:5 You will flee by My mountain valley, for it will extend to Azal. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the LORD my God will come, and all the holy ones with Him.

No, the abomination of desolation was not placed in Jerusalem in 70 AD. It had not even been invented then. It was not invented till the 1940s and the first one was used on Hiroshima.
It is what you read about in Revelation that causes the great earthquake and the heavens to depart from the earth like a scroll being rolled together.
It causes the heavens to burn with a fervent heat and the elements to melt.
No, that hasn't happened in Jerusalem yet, but it will. But before that the saints in Israel will be persecuted and many will be put to death.
After thier tribulation, the wrath of God will commence upon those who persecuted the saints and who had worshiped the beast and recieved its mark.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would around 22 years sound okay then?

No, making accurate predictions when none are possible is an attempt to get around Jesus' exhortation: "times and seasons are in God's hands" (paraphrased). The entire age is characterized as a Jewish Punishment. That's why it began to be called "the endtimes." It was a shift from Israel to other nations who had not yet heard the Gospel. When this process ends, then the age itself ends.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wrath Jesus is talking about in Luke 21 is associated with the abomination that causes desolation. It's when they flee for the mountains at the sight of it. Zech wrote about it as well in Zech 14.It takes place on the day of the Lord.

Zechariah 14:5 You will flee by My mountain valley, for it will extend to Azal. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the LORD my God will come, and all the holy ones with Him.

I understand your pov, but think you are confusing 2 very different prophecies as if they are the same event. In my scenario, the AoD is the Roman invasion of Jerusalem 66-70 AD, and Jesus warned his disciples to flee as soon as they could when they saw this develop. In fact, history records that the Christians in Israel did flee when they saw the Roman armies coming, and many of them ended up in Pella.

Zechariah is, I agree, talking about the endtimes. And so, in my scenario, Zechariah is talking about something much later than 70 AD, when the AoD of the Olivet Discourse took place.

No, the abomination of desolation was not placed in Jerusalem in 70 AD. It had not even been invented then. It was not invented till the 1940s and the first one was used on Hiroshima.

Clearly, you have a different definition of the AoD! ;) As I said, in my scenario, the AoD is the Roman Army invading Jerusalem from 66-70 AD.

It is what you read about in Revelation that causes the great earthquake and the heavens to depart from the earth like a scroll being rolled together.
It causes the heavens to burn with a fervent heat and the elements to melt.
No, that hasn't happened in Jerusalem yet, but it will.

Let me stop you here. It seems to me you're confusing one prophecy with another prophecy. Here you're talking about the destruction of the heavens and the earth at the Coming of Christ, or perhaps even at the end of the Millennium? At any rate, this has nothing to do with the AoD in 70 AD, nor with any sense of an AoD in the Scriptures?

But before that the saints in Israel will be persecuted and many will be put to death.
After thier tribulation, the wrath of God will commence upon those who persecuted the saints and who had worshiped the beast and recieved its mark.

We don't disagree that Christians will be persecuted during the reign of Antichrist. But in his Olivet Discourse Jesus referred to "you," meaning his disciples at that time. They would experience persecution *in Israel* from their own countrymen, as the signs point forward to divine judgment in 70 AD.

Jesus called these signs "birth pangs." What was about to be "born" was destruction from the Lord, and not a reborn Israel, as many of the Jews expected. It would be a still-birth, a miscarriage, because they had rejected their Messiah. And this judgment against the Jewish People as a whole would last until the 2nd Coming.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is so absurd about your argument here is that the Scriptures themselves make no issue over what should be called "the Olivet Discourse!" And here you are, basing your contentions on a supposed division between temple conversation and conversation on the mount! What is so ludicrous is your claim that these two different places make any difference at all when the same subject was being discussed in both places!

You cannot read everything written in chronological fashion. That makes no sense. That doesn't account for recapitulations, prolapses, digressions, etc. etc. Virtually nothing in literature is purely chronological--not even events listed in this post! ;) The only thing chronological about a post or a discourse is the fact of the clock. While you're speaking time passes in chronological order! ;)

The one place you can be sure you're dealing with chronological order is when you have a list of historical events lined up progressively in calendar order. The Revelation is not that, nor is the Olivet Discourse.

You just have to follow the story line. It's *always* about context. And the context for this conversation began at the temple, continued outside of the temple area, and resumed on the mountain. All one subject!
Great, then you do not know the order of events. Congratulations on acknowledging that point. You have proven you have no clue on what has been fulfilled and what has not.

Only historical facts arranged by a legitimate historian is your only acceptable chronological order. No historian has pointed out an abomination of desolation nor the Second Coming of Jesus, so they are still future events. Josephus mentions people fleeing in 66AD when they see the Roman armies approaching. That is the only event mentioned fulfilled, besides the obvious destruction of a single building and some city walls. You do not even have proof every single stone was removed, because that does not even matter as obviously you do not even include buildings plural, even though it was part of the question.

"and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple"
And that Roman Army was an alledged AoD from 63BC until 135AD. If you claim the Roman Army, it has to be the whole Roman occupation. You cannot single out one single Roman Army during one single year. You want the Roman Army to be the AOD. You also have to state it was the AoD during the whole Roman occupation. After 135AD not much was left of Hebrew identity in the area. There was nothing left to desecrate. Jerusalem was just another pagan center of Roman conquest.

Not even Antiochus Epiphanes and his army was declared the AoD. It was the act in the temple itself that was the AoD. If you actually read Josephus, the Jews already complained Pilate was setting up the AoD with his Roman Army standards. Pilate complied and removed them. It is not the point about the Army itself. It is the point, there was no longer a temple to even set up an AoD. Proximity of an army does not count. That was ongoing for almost 200 years. The point is how such an AoD is defined. Since you now base your view on strict historical accounts by a legitimate historian, Josephus does not see things the same way you do.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Clearly, you have a different definition of the AoD! ;) As I said, in my scenario, the AoD is the Roman Army invading Jerusalem from 66-70 AD.

No, making accurate predictions when none are possible is an attempt to get around Jesus' exhortation: "times and seasons are in God's hands" (paraphrased). The entire age is characterized as a Jewish Punishment. That's why it began to be called "the endtimes." It was a shift from Israel to other nations who had not yet heard the Gospel. When this process ends, then the age itself ends.

There you go showing that you too like to predict the times when the AoD could be seen. In my paradigm, the AoD is not a human as you are pushing, but rather the AoD is a wicked fallen heavenly angel. The AoD standing in the Holy Place as stated in Matt 24:15 is still a distant future event and is still over 1,000 years into out future and will occur during the Little While Period that separates the the event of the Bottomless Pit being unlocked so that the AoD can make a last ditched attempt of upsurging God and when the Final Judgement takes place.

While ever our understanding is flawed and based around what we are able to accept as probable "truth," we will have no understanding of who or what the Aod is or when the AoD will be seen standing in the Holy Place or even where that Holy Place might be. What we are banding around is just conjecture on our part, with some being closer to the truth than we want to admit.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you for real? No one is saying that buildings don't have walls and you know it. It was being discussed as to whether or not retaining walls which were not part of buildings with doors and windows are included among the temple buildings that Jesus said would be destroyed. Stop being so ignorant and pay attention to what is actually being discussed.
Can you explain when a building is no longer a building? The 4th floor, the 3rd floor, the 2nd floor, the 1st floor, ground level, the basement, the foundation, or the cornerstone? You tell me when the building is no longer the building.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There you go showing that you too like to predict the times when the AoD could be seen. In my paradigm, the AoD is not a human as you are pushing, but rather the AoD is a wicked fallen heavenly angel. The AoD standing in the Holy Place as stated in Matt 24:15 is still a distant future event and is still over 1,000 years into out future and will occur during the Little While Period that separates the the event of the Bottomless Pit being unlocked so that the AoD can make a last ditched attempt of upsurging God and when the Final Judgement takes place.

While ever our understanding is flawed and based around what we are able to accept as probable "truth," we will have no understanding of who or what the Aod is or when the AoD will be seen standing in the Holy Place or even where that Holy Place might be. What we are banding around is just conjecture on our part, with some being closer to the truth than we want to admit.

It wasn't conjecture on Luke's part.

Luke 21
20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

What to believe?

1. Luke's account
or
2. Dispensational futurism's disbelief

The Holy Spirit was Luke's inspiration in identifying the abomination of desolation.

I believe the Holy Spirit and Luke.

Dispensational futurism does not.

Last edited:

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
I understand your pov, but think you are confusing 2 very different prophecies as if they are the same event. In my scenario, the AoD is the Roman invasion of Jerusalem 66-70 AD, and Jesus warned his disciples to flee as soon as they could when they saw this develop. In fact, history records that the Christians in Israel did flee when they saw the Roman armies coming, and many of them ended up in Pella.

Zechariah is, I agree, talking about the endtimes. And so, in my scenario, Zechariah is talking about something much later than 70 AD, when the AoD of the Olivet Discourse took place.

Let me stop you here. It seems to me you're confusing one prophecy with another prophecy. Here you're talking about the destruction of the heavens and the earth at the Coming of Christ, or perhaps even at the end of the Millennium? At any rate, this has nothing to do with the AoD in 70 AD, nor with any sense of an AoD in the Scriptures?

We don't disagree that Christians will be persecuted during the reign of Antichrist. But in his Olivet Discourse Jesus referred to "you," meaning his disciples at that time. They would experience persecution *in Israel* from their own countrymen, as the signs point forward to divine judgment in 70 AD.

Jesus called these signs "birth pangs." What was about to be "born" was destruction from the Lord, and not a reborn Israel, as many of the Jews expected. It would be a still-birth, a miscarriage, because they had rejected their Messiah. And this judgment against the Jewish People as a whole would last until the 2nd Coming.

I know what those in jusea will flee from and where they flee too. Both are in Revelation.
No the abomination that causes desolation is not the Roman army. God created man. Man is not the abomination that causes desolation. In fact, Jerusalem was not desolate after 70 AD. The Romans stayed there for years after 70 AD.

It was not desolate.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what those in jusea will flee from and where they flee too. Both are in Revelation.
No the abomination that causes desolation is not the Roman army. God created man. Man is not the abomination that causes desolation. In fact, Jerusalem was not desolate after 70 AD. The Romans stayed there for years after 70 AD.

It was not desolate.

No, it wasn't. It also wasn't leveled to the ground as Christ said it would be:

Luk 19:41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,
Luk 19:42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.
Luk 19:43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
Luk 19:44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

This didn't happen in 70 AD and still has not happened.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great, then you do not know the order of events. Congratulations on acknowledging that point. You have proven you have no clue on what has been fulfilled and what has not.

Saying an account does not have to list events in chronological order is not the same thing as saying I don't know what order those events are in. The context, if properly recognized, will tell you what order the events are being mentioned in.

Only historical facts arranged by a legitimate historian is your only acceptable chronological order. No historian has pointed out an abomination of desolation nor the Second Coming of Jesus, so they are still future events. Josephus mentions people fleeing in 66AD when they see the Roman armies approaching. That is the only event mentioned fulfilled, besides the obvious destruction of a single building and some city walls. You do not even have proof every single stone was removed, because that does not even matter as obviously you do not even include buildings plural, even though it was part of the question.

Yes, it's acknowledge by history that Jewish believers fled Israel in the time the Roman armies began to invade and lay siege to Jerusalem. And Jesus said this would happen to "you," ie Jesus' disciples, in "this generation," ie while people who were alive in Jesus' time were still alive.

"and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple"

We know that the temple was completely razed when the Romans broke through the gates of Jerusalem. That fits the prophecy, both in Dan 9.26-27 and in Luke 21.

And that Roman Army was an alledged AoD from 63BC until 135AD. If you claim the Roman Army, it has to be the whole Roman occupation. You cannot single out one single Roman Army during one single year. You want the Roman Army to be the AOD. You also have to state it was the AoD during the whole Roman occupation. After 135AD not much was left of Hebrew identity in the area. There was nothing left to desecrate. Jerusalem was just another pagan center of Roman conquest.

The "ruler to come" in Dan 9.26 is generic, and may apply to any number of Roman rulers who assisted in the destruction of Jerusalem. It included Cestius Gallus, as well as Titus.

In the same way, the AoD included the entire period from 66 to 70 AD. The devastation of Jerusalem continued, as you said, in 135 AD. And that's because Jesus said Israel's period of desolation would continue from 70 AD to the end of the age.

Not even Antiochus Epiphanes and his army was declared the AoD.

I don't agree. I would assume that the AoD fit both Antiochus 4 and the Roman generals who laid siege to Jerusalem. Both had armies. Both killed masses of Jews. Both presented an idolatrous presence in the temple, not simply as an occupying force, but as a hostile force attempting to destroy what the Jews viewed as orthodox worship. Antiochus tried to enforce Hellenism on the orthodox Jews. The Romans simply destroyed all temple worship under the Law by destroying the temple.

It was the act in the temple itself that was the AoD. If you actually read Josephus, the Jews already complained Pilate was setting up the AoD with his Roman Army standards.

Yes, the eagle standards represented, symbolically, the pagan desecration of the temple area. Their eagles were pagan gods. Their presence as an occupying force was one thing. But coming as a bird of prey was another thing entirely! And that is precisely how Jesus described it, as birds of prey gathering for a feast, or to a "corpse."

Pilate complied and removed them. It is not the point about the Army itself. It is the point, there was no longer a temple to even set up an AoD. Proximity of an army does not count.

I believe the opposite to be true. A "desolation" took place in a different ways in different times. Antiochus committed sacrilege in one way, offering pig sacrifices and setting up idols. And the Romans committed sacrilege a different way, but completely eliminating the possibility of all sacrifices and offerings at the temple.

Both were "abominations" because they were pagan armies come to do harm to Jewish worship in Jerusalem--not strictly an occupying force. Both were desolaters because they were armies who destroyed Jews with their military forces, both priests and people.

That was ongoing for almost 200 years. The point is how such an AoD is defined. Since you now base your view on strict historical accounts by a legitimate historian, Josephus does not see things the same way you do.

A lot of scholars have differed on what the AoD specifically is. I believe that's because there is confusion over the fact there are 2 very different AoDs mentioned in Daniel. Dan 9 refers to the Roman AoD, and Dan 8, 11, and 12.11 refer to the Antiochus AoD.

To confuse the different things they did causes us to confuse the definition of what an AoD is. It is not strictly offering idols and corrupt sacrifices in the temple. Rather, it is a hostile pagan presence of an Army that desolates, or destroys, Israel, the people of God. They utterly destroy Israel's form of worship under the Law, which today we understand is irrelevant regardless.

Reactions: covenantee