Tips to recognize gnosticism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Gnosticism is defined as believing that one is saved by having a certain knowledge. Believe it or not, this has become the rule of thumb of the modern gospel. Here is what the whole gospel of gnosticism is founded on:

Implying that knowing Jesus as Lord, or that he died for us, is salvific.

The error is great, and dangerous. This gospel implies that by a special knowledge or a special insight, we are saved, without being any different from the rest of the world. Typical sentences like 'my sins are covered my grace' use the biblical terms to make it sound right, but ultimately what is being said is that we are not required to obey, only to have 'belief'.

The truth?

Salvation is God's to give. He tells us that he gives it to those who bear his fruit. We are given gifts and power from above and we might be fruitful and give him glory. Gnosticism claims that the hearers of the law are justified. In reality, it is those who obey it who are.

Romans 1:5
Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name,

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
It is a very sad and scary thing that so many have been taught that believing a couple of sentences gets them into the kingdom. I remember hearing a woman say she was worried about her son b/c his girlfriend was wiccan. She said so I asked him if he still believed in Jesus, and he said he did, so thankfully he's ok. I was shocked. Jesus said things like follow me, sin no more, take my cross and learn from me. I think that to believe in Jesus means to follow him and to follow him means being hungry to learn what he taught.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
It is a very sad and scary thing that so many have been taught that believing a couple of sentences gets them into the kingdom. I remember hearing a woman say she was worried about her son b/c his girlfriend was wiccan. She said so I asked him if he still believed in Jesus, and he said he did, so thankfully he's ok. I was shocked. Jesus said things like follow me, sin no more, take my cross and learn from me. I think that to believe in Jesus means to follow him and to follow him means being hungry to learn what he taught.

It is very sad indeed. Broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there is a way that seems right to man, but that leads to death.

It says that the love of God is to follow his commands. :)

Will God receive those who hate him, curse his name, and use his glory for their own gain? He suffers this from the devil for the sake of poor men who need to be redeemed. Thus he is patient, and waits, and so creation waits also, that the sons of God would be revealed in the end. But judgement is without mercy to those who show no mercy.

When the time will come from judgment, each will be accountable for the way in which he walked. And Jesus is the way to the Father, unless we walk in Jesus, we will not find life! Obedience is better than sacrifice.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gnosticism also teaches that our spirits are imprisioned in our flesh and therefore the material world is evil, which has ramifications on the value of Christion charity in the world - if the world and the flesh are evil why should we care about the physical well being of others?

Gnosticism is also dualistic, teaching that evil and good are equal forces in the universe and need each other exist - sort of like a superhero an his nemesis. Christianity teaches that good is not dependent on evil to exist, but evil is dependent on good because evil is not really a force at all - instead it is a corruption of the good or a lesser good. The reationship is the same as heat and cold.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Gnosticism is defined as believing that one is saved by having a certain knowledge. Believe it or not, this has become the rule of thumb of the modern gospel. Here is what the whole gospel of gnosticism is founded on:

Implying that knowing Jesus as Lord, or that he died for us, is salvific.

The error is great, and dangerous. This gospel implies that by a special knowledge or a special insight, we are saved, without being any different from the rest of the world. Typical sentences like 'my sins are covered my grace' use the biblical terms to make it sound right, but ultimately what is being said is that we are not required to obey, only to have 'belief'.

The truth?

Salvation is God's to give. He tells us that he gives it to those who bear his fruit. We are given gifts and power from above and we might be fruitful and give him glory. Gnosticism claims that the hearers of the law are justified. In reality, it is those who obey it who are.

Romans 1:5
Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name,

I believe Christians who get caught up in gnosticism that would not happen to them if they would study the Bible and do it regularly.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Gnosticism also teaches that our spirits are imprisioned in our flesh and therefore the material world is evil, which has ramifications on the value of Christion charity in the world - if the world and the flesh are evil why should we care about the physical well being of others?

Gnosticism is also dualistic, teaching that evil and good are equal forces in the universe and need each other exist - sort of like a superhero an his nemesis. Christianity teaches that good is not dependent on evil to exist, but evil is dependent on good because evil is not really a force at all - instead it is a corruption of the good or a lesser good. The reationship is the same as heat and cold.

Yes! Another big top to recognize gnosticism is that it believes our spirits to be captives. We cannot overcome, they say, and our spirit CANNOT rule over the soul and the body, they say.

But this is only a facade to further the idea that we don't have to do anything! We are saved by God's arbitrary choice, without any response required on our part!

It also denies the power by saying we CANNOT be freed, making the gospel of null effect. (The denial of the power is key to the beliefs of gnosticism... The gospel of gnosticism relies on knowledge, word, rather than power, the Spirit, and actually opposes the Spirit).

Good insight on gnosticism, aspen. :)

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
[sup]6[/sup] For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. [sup]7[/sup] Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. [sup]8[/sup] So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
[sup]9[/sup] But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. [sup]10[/sup] And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. [sup]11[/sup] But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Gnosticism denies that God can give us life while we are still in a mortal body, and denies we can be made as he is now. It only seeks to save itself by a scheme!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been following your threads, Prentis. You are pretty close to the truth, but not there yet. In fact, you are miles away. You are learning, but getting farther while at the same time getting closer. You're problem is that you don't understand what fruit is, nor what it means to be a new man. In your quest for righteousness, which is admirable and understanding, you are moving farther away from perfection. Yet if you'd look inches away, you would not be moving miles away.

There are things you don't understand. What fruit is. What newness is. WHat the old man is. What the new man is. What is repentance. Don't be ashamed. Many Christians don't get it either.

But for now, let it be known I'm against your gospel of works. You may not think it's that, but it is. I see through it all. That's what you are preaching. It's very close to what I'd like to say, but not there yet. If that be so, then it's not the same.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I've been following your threads, Prentis. You are pretty close to the truth, but not there yet. In fact, you are miles away. You are learning, but getting farther while at the same time getting closer. You're problem is that you don't understand what fruit is, nor what it means to be a new man. In your quest for righteousness, which is admirable and understanding, you are moving farther away from perfection. Yet if you'd look inches away, you would not be moving miles away.

There are things you don't understand. What fruit is. What newness is. WHat the old man is. What the new man is. What is repentance. Don't be ashamed. Many Christians don't get it either.

But for now, let it be known I'm against your gospel of works. You may not think it's that, but it is. I see through it all. That's what you are preaching. It's very close to what I'd like to say, but not there yet. If that be so, then it's not the same.

All this is according to your own understanding and your own sayings.

But I have seen what you say, that we are justified apart from obedience and from following, and that those who love the Lord need not depart from iniquity. I have heard your gospel, that it is not about walking in the power of God, and not about overcoming all things.

You have your own gospel. No, it is not the same as that which I speak of.

I tell you that the standard has been raised, and not lowered, by grace. Now that we have received such endowment from heaven, we are required to do more. To whom much is given, much is expected, and if Christ truly be in us, we are then expected to live at a higher level. But you do not see this, you prefer to say that if we have received this, we are God's favorite, and do not have to live up to his calling.

This kind of gospel, I wish not to get closer to. Sorry, just not interested in gnosticism, and philosophies... It is the living God I want to know.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am just wondering FHII, what makes your understanding of doctrine and theology the standard for Prentis? Our understanding will not be prefected until we are fully redeemed in Heaven - you appear to be saying that we can 'arrive' at a perfect understanding before we die.....

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All this is according to your own understanding and your own sayings.

But I have seen what you say, that we are justified apart from obedience and from following, and that those who love the Lord need not depart from iniquity. I have heard your gospel, that it is not about walking in the power of God, and not about overcoming all things.

You have your own gospel. No, it is not the same as that which I speak of.

I tell you that the standard has been raised, and not lowered, by grace. Now that we have received such endowment from heaven, we are required to do more. To whom much is given, much is expected, and if Christ truly be in us, we are then expected to live at a higher level. But you do not see this, you prefer to say that if we have received this, we are God's favorite, and do not have to live up to his calling.

This kind of gospel, I wish not to get closer to. Sorry, just not interested in gnosticism, and philosophies... It is the living God I want to know.

"All this is according to your own understanding and your own sayings."

And different to your own understanding. and your own sayings. My understandings versus yours. Mine are from God. Yours are not. Because you quote God without understanding and take clips from his word without understanding the whole of the matter. Throw down your rod against mine, and we'll see who's spouts almonds.

"But I have seen what you say"

Wrong again... You don't....

"that we are justified apart from obedience and from following, and that those who love the Lord need not depart from iniquity."

Once again, you are wrong. We are justified by faith alone. That is foreign to you. I thought you knew what faith is, but you don't.

" I have heard your gospel, that it is not about walking in the power of God, and not about overcoming all things."

You don't know what hearing is. You don't Know what walking is. And you don't know what overcoming is. I do have a gospel, it is the Gospel Paul spoke of. Your's is not the same Gospel. Mine is not of works, yours is. One day you may be able to understand that.

"I tell you that the standard has been raised, and not lowered, by grace."

You do not understand it, though. Grace is by faith, not of works. Your gospel is of works.

"My understandings versus yours. Mine are from God. Yours are not."

Oh really? Throw down your rod then and lets see which buds almonds! My understanding is that grace is through faith alone. That's the bottom line. You add works. To prove grace... Ain't that right? You don't really believe in grace, do you? You believe we have to show it through works, don't you?

I have a verse that says all your works of righteousness are nothing more than a bloody tampoon to God. Ewe! Yucky! That's you! That is so nasty!

"Now that we have received such endowment from heaven, we are required to do more. To whom much is given, much is expected, and if Christ truly be in us, we are then expected to live at a higher level."

Well, that's good news for you... God didn't give you much. I wish you would understand what the higher level you speak of is.... But you don't.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
oh boy.....

Despite your crudeness I will comment on your misunderstanding of faith. Faith and works cannot be separated. It takes work to suspend your disbelief - exercise faith.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
oh boy.....

Despite your crudeness I will comment on your misunderstanding of faith. Faith and works cannot be separated. It takes work to suspend your disbelief - exercise faith.

You are a fine one to talk about crudeness. Furtheremore, you know nothing about faith, as the Bible tells us. Faith is NOT OF works. They don't even mix! You can't mix them! Thus, you aren't preaching faith, but works. I don't subscribe to the works party. Faith and works not only can be separate, the ARE separate. SMH.....

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are a fine one to talk about crudeness. Furtheremore, you know nothing about faith, as the Bible tells us. Faith is NOT OF works. They don't even mix! You can't mix them! Thus, you aren't preaching faith, but works. I don't subscribe to the works party. Faith and works not only can be separate, the ARE separate. SMH.....

Measuring the value of your words against mine is going to get you nowhere. I think you need to take a break from posting and read the book of James

James 2:26
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
"All this is according to your own understanding and your own sayings."

And different to your own understanding. and your own sayings. My understandings versus yours. Mine are from God. Yours are not. Because you quote God without understanding and take clips from his word without understanding the whole of the matter. Throw down your rod against mine, and we'll see who's spouts almonds.

"But I have seen what you say"

Wrong again... You don't....

"that we are justified apart from obedience and from following, and that those who love the Lord need not depart from iniquity."

Once again, you are wrong. We are justified by faith alone. That is foreign to you. I thought you knew what faith is, but you don't.

" I have heard your gospel, that it is not about walking in the power of God, and not about overcoming all things."

You don't know what hearing is. You don't Know what walking is. And you don't know what overcoming is. I do have a gospel, it is the Gospel Paul spoke of. Your's is not the same Gospel. Mine is not of works, yours is. One day you may be able to understand that.

"I tell you that the standard has been raised, and not lowered, by grace."

You do not understand it, though. Grace is by faith, not of works. Your gospel is of works.

"My understandings versus yours. Mine are from God. Yours are not."

Oh really? Throw down your rod then and lets see which buds almonds! My understanding is that grace is through faith alone. That's the bottom line. You add works. To prove grace... Ain't that right? You don't really believe in grace, do you? You believe we have to show it through works, don't you?

I have a verse that says all your works of righteousness are nothing more than a bloody tampoon to God. Ewe! Yucky! That's you! That is so nasty!

"Now that we have received such endowment from heaven, we are required to do more. To whom much is given, much is expected, and if Christ truly be in us, we are then expected to live at a higher level."

Well, that's good news for you... God didn't give you much. I wish you would understand what the higher level you speak of is.... But you don't.

Fair enough... As you have said yourself, God will be the judge between us. May He bless you! :)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Measuring the value of your words against mine is going to get you nowhere. I think you need to take a break from posting and read the book of James

James 2:26
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Nor you. My words are of the Bible. I have read the book of James and it is of works... I understand James. Do you?

Fair enough... As you have said yourself, God will be the judge between us. May He bless you! :)

He already has.... You just don't understand that.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
You claim to understand James, of whom all the apostles approved, and who was a mighty man of God, and yet here you stand correcting him...

By this you only reveal it to be true that you twist the words of Paul, because you make them disagree with the other apostles.

You are measuring yourself by yourself, and you make your own ways the standard by which you measure.

The gospel is the one and the same. Christ did not come to abolish righteousness, but to fulfill it. But you say the opposite.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You claim to understand James, of whom all the apostles approved, and who was a mighty man of God, and yet here you stand correcting him...
Not I. You have claimed the apostles approved of him. Not so. Paul never did. He was a mighty man of God, yet you don't understand why. It is not I that correct him, but the Bible.

By this you only reveal it to be true that you twist the words of Paul, because you make them disagree with the other apostles.

Have I twisted the words of Paul? Have I made Paul to disagree with the other apostles? Whom did Paul, by the Bible disagree with? John, Peter, James.... It's all written. He disagreed with John so much that he quit fellowshipping him. He disagreed with Peter so much, Peter, who had the Keys... that he challenged him publically. He disagreed with James so much that he refused to follow his orders.

Paul preached grace through faith. So strong that it alienated him. YOU! You twist the words of Paul, Prentis, not me. I quote them! I quote whole chapters and put them into context. You quote verses. One liners, and build a doctrine around it.

"You are measuring yourself by yourself, and you make your own ways the standard by which you measure.

Wrong. I acknowledge that Christ was the standard. I have neither the desire nor the ability to measure up to him. He paid the price and COVERED. my sins...

Here's the problem, Prentis.... You are preaching "measure up by the flesh". I realize that can't be done. Yet, in your young years in Christ and both here on earth, you know nothing about me. By your standard, I might be "holier" than you think. I just don't point to it nor do I wear it as a badge as proof like you and ole James want to do.

See, I can prove everything James said to be true.... But James didn't understand how prophetic his words were. You and he are trying to show and achieve holyness by the flesh. Can't be done. Nor is it worth trying. If you try, you are living after the flesh and minding the things of the flesh.

I don't expect you to understand that yet. But one day you will. Hopefully.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Holiness is not achieved by the flesh, but by the Spirit.... while in a mortal body!

We are to be conformed to Christ, and we have a part to play in this. It is we who must draw near, seek, and be conformed to him in our characters, it is we who must add to faith... It is he who, if he sees fit, endows us with power to be as he is.

You call obedience 'measure up by the flesh', but it is not so. In the Greek, the word for faith, pistis, also means fidelity and faithfulness. If we have faith and trust in him, it is revealed in that we are faithful. Our unfaithfulness points to our lack, and where we need to seek what is missing in our character, or understanding.

The love of God is to obey his commands.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
FHII do you take up your cross.

Are you bagging Prentis because of one thing that horrifies you that anyone should have some sort of backbone.

I think i have seen enough people who say lord lord and just go on being a full on worldly numskull ranting and raving that they are definitely going to Heaven even if they disobey Jesus full on as nothing they can do can robe them of it.

But did not the Devil go and try to temp even Jesus ? and let say if, what if he could of temped him. Jesus would not of said the words back to him now would he? so i think we can do the same when temptation come our way ? but do you just swallow it and fall to Satan in gutlessness, and in that you have sold your soul out, the death of the Spirit. and is it not better to lose one's life then to lose ones soul.