Tithe...NOT a christian doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I posted scriptures earlier in the thread. It is sufficient for this discussion.

Lively Stone said he had bowed out. Is this a ghost talking?

I have just had a thought. Perhaps the truth is that LS belongs to a church that says you have to tithe if you want to become a member, hence the lack of personal knowledge about the subject.

Sorry, but I have posted an entire article with scriptural support already in this thread.

Sorry, but that is not the truth. You have posted an article written by someone else who obviously has an investment in keeping people at his church tithing to ensure the money comes in to pay his wages.

That to say the least is not objective exegesis. It is subjective eisegesis, which no one skilled in the scriptures would accept because it is based on experience which the word of God is used to justify.

I wanted to know the truth in spite of what I have been taught,

How can anyone know the truth if they choose to ignore the New Testament entirely?

I will bow out on my own, and it is not because of weakness, but becasue this is dishonouring to God to argue something that He opens people's hearts and minds to. I will not be pushed out...but as people continue to engage me, I will continue to respond.

Question: When is a bow out not a bow out?

Answer: When you are barking up the wrong tree.

LS, can I paraphrase one part of your post. It goes something like this. ......but because it is dishonouring to me to argue something that I am convinced is right so you should be convinced as well.

Now the bit that really has got me scratching my head is the "I will not be pushed out" plea. Will ANYONE please show me where ANYONE has asked LS to leave?

I believe Stoned did produce for us a reason as to why he/she tithes. The problem is that he/she thinks all professing believers should be doing so if only we all were hearing the voice of his/her god of tithing.

LS says he hears from God. I believe I hear from God and I hear the opposite to LS. Let me explain.

I support Barnabas Fund who provides finance for suffering christians overseas. I read that the homes of Christians in Orissa, India had been destroyed by Hindus and they were appealing for funds to pay for them to be rebuilt. It said that $1,100 would pay for a one room house for a family.

What did I do? I did what the Lord told me to do. I gave them $1,150 (the extra to cover credit card charges) to pay for a house for a persecuted christian.

Note I did not send $110 as LS would probably have done.

I did not think twice about it as the direction was very, very clear. Obviously my God does not believe in tithing.

Has God blessed me because I gave 100% not a tenth? yes and yes. I am so blessed that God chose me to finance a home for another believer who had no way possible to do so themselves and as a result, they now have a waterproof roof over their heads instead of having to live in a tent by the side of the road.

That to me is a 100% return on my investment.

That said, as God has showed me by His Spirit and through His word how He wants me to conduct my affairs how He wants me to trust Him completely, that should not incur mocking or dismissive comments.

I don't know about the other brethren here, but if you give 10% of your income to God, why do you need to trust him completely when you still have 90% of it to spend on yourself?

I thought you had to trust God completely when you gave away 100% of your income as you have 0% to spend on yourself.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God owns everything already. I would not go as far as to say we are not supposed to tithe, but we are not required either.

We have freedom to do as we are led by the HolySpirit, out of a glad heart. Any more would put us back under the Law.

From the O.P., I feel he is correct as to us being directed to abstain from the meat as described. Yet later Paul instructs more of a "don't ask; no concern policy," except by the fact that it may cause one of the body of Christ to stumble, whereas abstinence is the preferred choice.

As to tithe, the practice being intrinsic to the Law as part of a system for people being established as a nation thousands of years ago.

BeforeThereWas

Dec 30, 2007
I have just had a thought. Perhaps the truth is that LS belongs to a church that says you have to tithe if you want to become a member, hence the lack of personal knowledge about the subject.

At the expense of being accused by some of mockery (which this isn't), the attitudes exhibited by LS are actually a very common malady among those who have a strong belief in something; coupled with an unreasonable level of self-assurances that they are utterly, perfectly right, and therefore not at all willing to consider that they might be wrong.

Generally speaking, discussions with people of that mindset usually end with them resorting to finger-pointing accusations, concocting out of thin air statements allegedly made by their opposition, labeling any and all who dare disagree with them as violating the rules for engagement by way of mockery, disrespect, etc.

The only thing I disrespect are falsehoods, not the one uttering such.

Unfortunately, the two tend to be so tightly intertwined that piercing the one through with the sword of TRUTH tends to do injury to the other.

Again, generally speaking, it's a no-win scenario to discuss such deeply entrenched doctrines as tithing with some. To them, the antiquity of a doctrine is more than ample reason to defend it, even when such a defense becomes so manic and unreasonable in its tactics that it drawss the fires of cleansing when anyone dares point out how idiotic some observations tend.

If antiquity were the acid test for legitimacy, then we may as well join hands with the roman catholics, mormons, and all the abberant, liberal protestant denominations...declaring us all to be right, even though roman catholicism, mormonism and many abberant, protestant denominations all teach christs unknown to the scriptures.

Sorry, but that is not the truth. You have posted an article written by someone else who obviously has an investment in keeping people at his church tithing to ensure the money comes in to pay his wages.

That to say the least is not objective exegesis. It is subjective eisegesis, which no one skilled in the scriptures would accept because it is based on experience which the word of God is used to justify.

What's worse is that falling back on lengthy articles written by someone else, based on that person's beliefs lacks a demonstration of having taken responsibility for ones personal beliefs.

How can anyone know the truth if they choose to ignore the New Testament entirely?

LS ignored the timeline, the direct ties tithing has to a specific priesthood and the temple, the fact that Abraham tithed not one red cent from his own personal property still located in northern Canaan at that time, that Jacob's tithe was pre-conditioned upon demands he made upon God, and a slew of other truths gleaned by simply letting scripture speak for itself. Also ignored is the fact that the Lord at NO time ever modeled tithing after Abraham's actions in relation to the spoils of war (see Numbers 3), that the apostles at no time upheld the continuance of the tithe with new ties to buildings and ecclesiastical, institutional bonds.

My challenges for such evidence to the contrary have, to this day, gone unanswered...at least with answers originating from a foundation of compliance to reasonable and consistent exegesis and rules for interpretation.

LS says he hears from God. I believe I hear from God and I hear the opposite to LS. Let me explain.

(snicker) That brings to my remembrance the mindset of post-modernism. Folks today like claiming that, for example, two or more opposiing views are all equally valid. That's their definition of tolerance.

Strangely, the intolerance inherent within islam is tolerable to them, but the intolerance of Chrisitanity is somehow not tolerable.

What it REALLY boils down to is that they know beyond a doubt that followers of islam will kill them for speaking against its tennets, but that Christians will not lash out at them for such. That's nothing but a cowardly respect for a show of might...the fallacy of might makes right.

I don't know about the other brethren here, but if you give 10% of your income to God, why do you need to trust him completely when you still have 90% of it to spend on yourself?

Ahhh, but handing ones tithe over to institutionalized religion isn't necessarily giving to God. Therein lies the difference.

SW

Well, it seems as though LS is still frequenting this thread since I've now gotten two PMs from him/her (all things brought into the light).

LS seems to think that because he/she is no longer responding, that saying anything about him/her is gossip.

Well, there's yet another falsehood to put onto the pile. Since you're here, it's not gossip...right?

LS, you really need to get over yourself, and start reading what's actually written. I clearly indicated that I was speking generally. I said it twice.

I mentioned your mindset only as a precursor to the fact that there are others who also believe falsehoods, and hold to falsehoods with a tenacity that defies all reason and scriptural integrity.

Now, if you can defend your beliefs from the merits of your own ability to speak out as to WHY you think the tithe is scriptural for today, then please do so. Your hit-n-run tactics are old hat to me, and fail to elicit the pity you seem to want.

Pretending that you're the victim of slams and belittlements simply on the basis of the fact that we all refuse to believe you with blind indifference to all the scriptural facts presented throughout, then get over it. If you think you're right, dig deeper for TRUTH and show us that you have something with substance worthy of consideration.

Otherwise, remain indifferent to the TRUTH presented to you, slink away silently, and stop with the PMs. They serve no purpose but to show me even more problems in your thinking and practices.

We've issued a number of invitations for folks to present their case, and discuss it all on level grounding, without anyone resorting to some useless martyr syndrome. We sometimes rib each other and others. Take it like a woman/man. Expecting others to walk on egg shells in a discussion is indicative of an imbalance in one's views about others.

You say the Lord told you one thing, and someone else says the Lord told them something the exact opposite. One or both are wrong.

TRUTH is worth seeking out.

SW

BeforeThereWas

Dec 30, 2007
The PM's from LS continue, even though I'm not reading them. They're not worth reading...speaking from experience..

Get over yourself, LS. I'm sure tithing isn't the first belief you've been wrong about.

SW

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Tithing is still a biblical principle!

More is said of it in the Old Testament than in the New Testament. This is because the tithe was connected with the tribe of Levi and their ministry for Israel.

Ultimately the tithe belongs to the Lord, not the church or the pastors! God redirects the tithe in the Old Testament to the Levites for their service in the temple and especially since they received no land as the other tribes did! And in Matt 23:23 Jesus clearly said that tithing remains in the New Testament era.

And 1Cor 9: 1-14 is the clearest passage in the NT regarding tithing. Paul refers to those who worked in the temple were paid from the monies that went into the temple. Then he says, "in the same way those who preach the gospel should live from the Gospel." It seems that he says that the way the Levites were paid was the model for the NT era preacher.

What you have to decide is whether the pastor is actually doing the work of a preacher or not!! If you do then give them your tithes. If you think they are not then give it elsewhere, e.g. Bible Society, or like me, place your tithe towards evangelism materials to lead others to Jesus.

But in Bible times there were no printed bibles and orphanages etc. There were only the priests.

God bless you.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Tithe - Give a mandatory 10% of your income. It's not a command, and wasn't a command for everyone in the OT. We are to give whatever it is we have decided in our hearts to give. We are encouraged to give to the preachers/leaders because their FULL TIME JOB should be preaching, and teaching, and leading. Not just doing something 2 days out of the week. I'll give scripture if you need it.

Another thing about the heart that was mentioned. Yes, the Bible says, the heart is deceitful. However, We do have a circumcision of the heart, and, the Lord has written his laws on our hearts as promised. Again, I'll give scripture reference if needed.

It seems those of us in Christ can trust our hearts.

Now, if someone feels the Lord put it on their heart to give any certain amount, that's fine. No problem. Where they give it, I can't make a judgement. It certainly isn't a command to give a 10%.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And in Matt 23:23 Jesus clearly said that tithing remains in the New Testament era.
You are funny brother. If this verse is all about Jesus telling people to tithe can I ask which are you, a scribe, a Pharisee or a hypocrite?

And 1Cor 9: 1-14 is the clearest passage in the NT regarding tithing.
You forgot v 15 and 18 where Paul says he does not receive any money for preaching the gospel. I notice that you avoid the context.

And by the way. The word “tithe” does not appear in this passage.

1Co 9:15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it is good for me rather to die than that anyone nullify my glorying.

1Co 9:18 What then is my reward? That when I preach the gospel I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

What you have to decide is whether the pastor is actually doing the work of a preacher or not!!

Can you show me where it says in scripture that you pay a pastor a salary?

We are encouraged to give to the preachers/leaders because their FULL TIME JOB should be preaching, and teaching, and leading. Not just doing something 2 days out of the week. I'll give scripture if you need it.

Please do. I have studied this topic for two years and read about 60 books on the topic and can't find any scripture to support what you say.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
You are funny brother. If this verse is all about Jesus telling people to tithe can I ask which are you, a scribe, a Pharisee or a hypocrite?

You forgot v 15 and 18 where Paul says he does not receive any money for preaching the gospel. I notice that you avoid the context.

1Co 9:15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it is good for me rather to die than that anyone nullify my glorying.

1Co 9:18 What then is my reward? That when I preach the gospel I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

Please do. I have studied this topic for two years and read about 60 books on the topic and can't find any scripture to support what you say.

Mark, I have to wonder why your post is so condescending and attacking, just because I showed in Bible that tithing is still a biblical principle, you took it to a personal level and didn't focus on the topic alone, you instead began attacking me personally and saying I am "funny" in a very condesceding manner. Jesus would never do that, so why do you? That shows a lot about a persons fruit and by your fruit I now know you.

You can always tell immature Christians from mature Christians when you debate them...immature Christians will always take the topic to a personal level and laugh at, or mock or try to put down the person they are debating, HOWEVER, spiritually mature Christians leave the personal attacks out of it and only focus on the topic.

Your post is biblical inaccurate and you have added meaning and words to Bible which are not there, and you have gone as far as adding words to Jesus' mouth, when the Lord has not spoken.

People who refuse to tithe and spend years in trying to disprove tithing, simply lack trust in God to provide for them and their families and instead they turn to MONEY to trust in to provide for them and their familes. That's why they cannot bring themselves to give away the first 10% because they will reason they cannot afford it, showing they worship and trust in money as NUMBER 1 and God as NUMBER 2. Bible says you cannot worship money and God. But then people will resort to self deception and tell themselves that they do not worship or trust in money, but on the other hand, they refuse to tithe, because deep deep down, they are afraid they will be left short on money and not be able to pay their bills.

Some people are so greedy and hate the idea of placing God as number 1 that they will refuse to tithe, so instead they make false excuses, contradict Scripture, in a desperate attempt to avoid tithing. But I tell you Mark, it's your choice, but you are robbing God in the process, Malachi chapter 3.

And I have a question for you Mark...if your Pastor works full time for the Church, to support you and your family and everyone else, yet he also needs to feed his family and pay living expenses to survive, then according to you Mark, how should he be paid a full time wage to work full time as a Pastor and feed his family?

And I came to realise why you have gone astray on this topic Mark and why you have twisted Scripture, it's because you admitted you have strayed OUTSIDE of the 66 books of Scripture to find your answers about tithing, which was a BIG MISTAKE by you. You have as a result, not trusted in the 66 books of Scripture to teach you in fullness about topics, and gone to sinners to explain it to you, using their own exegesis and as a result due to eisegesis, you have now read into Scripture something which doesn't appear in Scripture, but only appears in someone' else interpetation. You admitted you have turned to around 60 other books, outside of the 66 books, yet only Scripture was 100% inspired by God, and yet you turned to external books. I have seen this trategy happen often, we see it in CULTS too all the time, they turn to external books from the 66 books of Scripture and are led astray in doctrine.

May I encourage you Mark to come back to Scripture and Scripture alone and then you will learn the truth about tithing and other topics.

As for me, tithing is written in my heart by God the day I came to God 12 years ago. And I delight in tithing and it shows that God is my number 1 and not money. I wouldn't even need anyone to prove tithing is in Bible to me, because it's alrerady written in my heart and I have already seen enough evidence and proof from Jesus and Bible that New Covenant Christians should still tithe, especially in these last days, where money has become such a god and idol to so many people, we need tithing now more than ever, even among Christians, many trust in and worship money indirectly, and tithing is a way for them to place God number 1 again.

Many people like you Mark spend years and years, and reading external book after external book, in a desperate attempt to find justification to rob God and to not tithe, yet as a Christian, you should rather be looking for an excuse to tithe, and not the other way around.

Malachi 3:8-10 "Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’ "In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

God bless.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Mark, I have to wonder why your post is so condescending and attacking, just because I showed in Bible that tithing is still a biblical principle, you took it to a personal level and didn't focus on the topic alone, you instead began attacking me personally and saying I am "funny" in a very condesceding manner. Jesus would never do that, so why do you? That shows a lot about a persons fruit and by your fruit I now know you.

You can always tell immature Christians from mature Christians when you debate them...immature Christians will always take the topic to a personal level and laugh at, or mock or try to put down the person they are debating, HOWEVER, spiritually mature Christians leave the personal attacks out of it and only focus on the topic.

Your post is biblical inaccurate and you have added meaning and words to Bible which are not there, and you have gone as far as adding words to Jesus' mouth, when the Lord has not spoken.

People who refuse to tithe and spend years in trying to disprove tithing, simply lack trust in God to provide for them and their families and instead they turn to MONEY to trust in to provide for them and their familes. That's why they cannot bring themselves to give away the first 10% because they will reason they cannot afford it, showing they worship and trust in money as NUMBER 1 and God as NUMBER 2. Bible says you cannot worship money and God. But then people will resort to self deception and tell themselves that they do not worship or trust in money, but on the other hand, they refuse to tithe, because deep deep down, they are afraid they will be left short on money and not be able to pay their bills.

Some people are so greedy and hate the idea of placing God as number 1 that they will refuse to tithe, so instead they make false excuses, contradict Scripture, in a desperate attempt to avoid tithing. But I tell you Mark, it's your choice, but you are robbing God in the process, Malachi chapter 3.

And I have a question for you Mark...if your Pastor works full time for the Church, to support you and your family and everyone else, yet he also needs to feed his family and pay living expenses to survive, then according to you Mark, how should he be paid a full time wage to work full time as a Pastor and feed his family?

And I came to realise why you have gone astray on this topic Mark and why you have twisted Scripture, it's because you admitted you have strayed OUTSIDE of the 66 books of Scripture to find your answers about tithing, which was a BIG MISTAKE by you. You have as a result, not trusted in the 66 books of Scripture to teach you in fullness about topics, and gone to sinners to explain it to you, using their own exegesis and as a result due to eisegesis, you have now read into Scripture something which doesn't appear in Scripture, but only appears in someone' else interpetation. You admitted you have turned to around 60 other books, outside of the 66 books, yet only Scripture was 100% inspired by God, and yet you turned to external books. I have seen this trategy happen often, we see it in CULTS too all the time, they turn to external books from the 66 books of Scripture and are led astray in doctrine.

May I encourage you Mark to come back to Scripture and Scripture alone and then you will learn the truth about tithing and other topics.

As for me, tithing is written in my heart by God the day I came to God 12 years ago. And I delight in tithing and it shows that God is my number 1 and not money. I wouldn't even need anyone to prove tithing is in Bible to me, because it's alrerady written in my heart and I have already seen enough evidence and proof from Jesus and Bible that New Covenant Christians should still tithe, especially in these last days, where money has become such a god and idol to so many people, we need tithing now more than ever, even among Christians, many trust in and worship money indirectly, and tithing is a way for them to place God number 1 again.

Many people like you Mark spend years and years, and reading external book after external book, in a desperate attempt to find justification to rob God and to not tithe, yet as a Christian, you should rather be looking for an excuse to tithe, and not the other way around.

Malachi 3:8-10 "Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’ "In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

God bless.

Actually your post here is much more attacking than the post of Marksman. I suggest you reread them before you continue.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Actually your post here is much more attacking than the post of Marksman. I suggest you reread them before you continue.

I disagree. Mark's post was a condescending post, leaning towards arrogance. People who debate and say things like "you are funny" etc display condescending attitude and closed mind. My post on the other hand was an evaluation and encouragement and honest feedback to Mark.

God bless.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009

I was going to quote 1 Corinthians 9- Looks like I read more into it in regards to the preaching should be a full time job. But, the rest of it is, that the preachers or those of the like, missionaries etc, should be able to profit from the giving of others. Although, they shouldn't be missionaries or preachers, or teachers just for the sake of money.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
I was going to quote 1 Corinthians 9- Looks like I read more into it in regards to the preaching should be a full time job. But, the rest of it is, that the preachers or those of the like, missionaries etc, should be able to profit from the giving of others. Although, they shouldn't be missionaries or preachers, or teachers just for the sake of money.

WK, if you worked full time as a Pastor and had many Christians rely on you, and you had a family and kids to feed and shelter, then tell me, how should you, as a Pastor, get paid for your full time work? OR do you believe a full time Pastor who has a wife and children to feed and to provide shelter for, should never be paid any money to pay his bills and should be homeless living on the streets?

God bless.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
WK, if you worked full time as a Pastor and had many Christians rely on you, and you had a family and kids to feed and shelter, then tell me, how should you, as a Pastor, get paid for your full time work? OR do you believe a full time Pastor who has a wife and children to feed and to provide shelter for, should never be paid any money to pay his bills and should be homeless living on the streets?

God bless.

What? I never said anything like that. You're misunderstanding. That's not surprising, there's a long line of people who don't understand my wording. Sorry.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
What? I never said anything like that. You're misunderstanding. That's not surprising, there's a long line of people who don't understand my wording. Sorry.

WK, I never said you said that, I was asking you a sincere question to get your beliefs on it. Please answer this question:

God bless.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
WK, I never said you said that, I was asking you a sincere question to get your beliefs on it. Please answer this question:

God bless.

Oh, Okay LOL! No, I fully expect that they should be able to depend on the members of the congregation and firstly depend on God to provide what they need. However, that said, if they aren't getting enough money, the pastor should get a job. Putting a false doctrine of a tithe on the people is wrong.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Oh, Okay LOL! No, I fully expect that they should be able to depend on the members of the congregation and firstly depend on God to provide what they need. However, that said, if they aren't getting enough money, the pastor should get a job. Putting a false doctrine of a tithe on the people is wrong.

1. Are you claiming that tithing is a false doctrine taught by false teachers? Do you believe I am a false teacher?

2. Are you 100% certain that tithing was abolished by God?

3. Do you have perfect interpretation and perfect understanding of entire Scripture?

If yes, do you really claim to be perfectly infallible?

If no, then tell me..what part of Scripture have you misinterpreted and misunderstood?

If you don't know, then do you agree and admit you could be teaching an erroneous doctrine and not know it?

4. Can you please explain this verse to me:

Hebrews 4:9 So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

God bless.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
I do. You don't have clue what's going on.

You have made some very serious accusations towards me, and I am going to ask you to show, using Scripture alone, where I have taught anything in error.

And then you said I don't have a clue what's going on. Can you elaborate on that please and explain what you mean exactly.

And why have you hid from my questions? Why won't you answer my questions? What's stopping you?

God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.