Tithe...NOT a christian doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I am not going to argue this as it becomes a bitterly contested matter and is not pleasing to the Lord. I am not willing to be the subject of a huge pile-on, but I am willing and courageous enough to be the only one to stand up for the tithe. I am not ashamed, and no one here has the power to heap any shame or condemnation on me. I know my God and I know what He desires and I have experienced the promises of God for obeying Him.

But if you would merely check with the word of God you will note that Abraham tithed and so did Jacob---all before the law, so it was an acceptable principle that the Lord laid on the hearts of his people, early on.

No you are mistaken, Abraham did not give a tenth of his increase but rather a tenth of the spoils of war and there is nothing recorded in the scriptures that he did it more than once. There is no record in the scriptures that Jacob ever gave a tenth but rather only that he promised to do it if God would help him, yet no record of him keeping his promise. There is no record in the scriptures of any new covenant believer ever tithing either. These are the Facts. Now if you would care to post scripture that clearly indicates differently then we can continue, if not then your belief is simply unfounded and unsupported by scripture. I am not wanting to shame you or heap anything on you just pointing out that you are being mislead by a religious false teaching that undermines the truth and goals that Father has made available to us through His new covenant.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
No you are mistaken, Abraham did not give a tenth of his increase but rather a tenth of the spoils of war and there is nothing recorded in the scriptures that he did it more than once. There is no record in the scriptures that Jacob ever gave a tenth but rather only that he promised to do it if God would help him, yet no record of him keeping his promise. There is no record in the scriptures of any new covenant believer ever tithing either. These are the Facts. Now if you would care to post scripture that clearly indicates differently then we can continue, if not then your belief is simply unfounded and unsupported by scripture. I am not wanting to shame you or heap anything on you just pointing out that you are being mislead by a religious false teaching that undermines the truth and goals that Father has made available to us through His new covenant.

I am not mistaken. Using Abraham's spoils tithe as an excuse is not valid, nor is it proper to say he did not tithe regularly unto the Lord. It is fairly obvious it was a natural response of devotion, trust and gratefulness. There is nothing false or misleading in tithing to the Lord. What is shameful is to try to dissuagde anyone from doing so. When the Lord tells someone He desires this honour, one must obey God, and not what people say. Nothing in tithing underminse any truth or any goals of God! In fact, naysayers are undermining what God has promised to those who tithe. There are exact promises attached to tithing and those opposed to tithing are also opposed to the promises of God. How dare anyone try to stand in the way of anyone receiving what God promises. There will be a consequence to that.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I am not mistaken. Using Abraham's spoils tithe as an excuse is not valid, nor is it proper to say he did not tithe regularly unto the Lord. It is fairly obvious it was a natural response of devotion, trust and gratefulness. There is nothing false or misleading in tithing to the Lord. What is shameful is to try to dissuagde anyone from doing so. When the Lord tells someone He desires this honour, one must obey God, and not what people say. Nothing in tithing underminse any truth or any goals of God! In fact, naysayers are undermining what God has promised to those who tithe. There are exact promises attached to tithing and those opposed to tithing are also opposed to the promises of God. How dare anyone try to stand in the way of anyone receiving what God promises. There will be a consequence to that.

Then I suggest you post the scriptures to support your claims, that Abraham tithed more than once and that Jacob kept his promise to give God a tenth. Earlier you posted an article that made a bogus claim that Isaac tithed, so while your at it post that scripture too. If you are unable to do so than your opinion is not scriptural and makes your argument mute.

Personally I think you have good intentions but are only able to parrot the misguided article you posted earlier.

To put this whole thing to rest simply post the scriptures you claim exist, which support your opinion or simply bow out of the discussion.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I don't know why anyone would think that Abraham who had great faith and walked with God intimately, would have tithed only the once. The fact that he did it so easily reveals a man who did this act of worship and complete trust with regularity. Why would you think that Jacob would renege on his vow? These are men on whom the Jewish nation was formed. Although they were men of flesh and blood and foibles, I do believe they were upright before the Lord in the tithe. It is a principle that stood long before the law and they oviously had no problem with it.

I parrot no one but I do adhere to what the Lord has revealed to me. I can only pray that you will receive the same revelation. Once a person has been told the truth of a matter, it is their responsibility before God as a believer to do what they will with it, and suffer the consequences for rejecting it. You may wish one day that you never heard this.

I shall bow out of this discussion by my own choice now, whether you like it or not. All scriptures have been given.

At least the truth has been presented that tithing to the Lord is completely of God.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Just as I expected not one scripture posted, well glad to see you finally decided to bow out. To make a good presentation one should use scripture to support their opinion.
There is no scriptural support for anyone being required by God to tithe other than Israeli ranchers and farmers who lived during the old covenant given through Moses. None before and none after.

Most Christians today are even ignorant of the actual specifics concerning the tithe according to the scriptures.

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe.25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen.26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household.27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town.29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.​
Deut 14:22-29 (NLT)

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Isn't it wonderful that we are not in bondage to the tithe. We can freely give as God blesses us. It has just occured to me that when the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he had to do to be saved Jesus said he had to give away 10% of his riches.

What was that? He didn't say give 10% away!!!! Does that mean that Jesus was disobeying God?????

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Isn't it wonderful that we are not in bondage to the tithe. We can freely give as God blesses us. It has just occured to me that when the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he had to do to be saved Jesus said he had to give away 10% of his riches.

What was that? He didn't say give 10% away!!!! Does that mean that Jesus was disobeying God?????

Often those who are not tithing are in bondage to mammon, just like that rich young ruler, who was asked to give it all away. God doesn't require that of us---He is generous in that, while everything is His, He allows us 90% to do with as we will...hopefully according to His will.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

Yes it is wonderful not only concerning the tithe but all of the law, we no longer have to live with the law of the old covenant as our guide, we now have HolySpirit to lead us. I can't imagine why Paul would say "the letter kills but the Spirit gives life" for no good reason.

But some still continued to preach bondage to the law as do some still today, maybe it is because they are still themselves bound up with religious paradigm and haven't experienced the fullness of the freedom we have in Christ or they struggle to hear the Lord's voice and are afraid to let HolySpirit be the guide, so they gravitate back to the letter of the law for guidance.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yes it is wonderful not only concerning the tithe but all of the law, we no longer have to live with the law of the old covenant as our guide, we now have HolySpirit to lead us. I can't imagine why Paul would say "the letter kills but the Spirit gives life" for no good reason.

But some still continued to preach bondage to the law as do some still today, maybe it is because they are still themselves bound up with religious paradigm and haven't experienced the fullness of the freedom we have in Christ or they struggle to hear the Lord's voice and are afraid to let HolySpirit be the guide, so they gravitate back to the letter of the law for guidance.

That is a sweeping, arrogant and untrue generalization.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I thought the movie was over. Is this the sequel already?

laugh7-1.gif

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That's so funny LivelyStone.

Some things we won't agree on; tithing will be one of them. It is not a life and death matter, and it is required that we have love and a caring heart with which ever view we hold.

Bless you sister.

Yes, for once someone made a decently friendly quip, rather than continue to turn the screws. I always appreciate that. Thank you and God's blessing on you also.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wonder at those whose are against tithing...is it because this OT standard is too low?...or too high?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
I wonder at those whose are against tithing...is it because this OT standard is too low?...or too high?

Because it's wrongly taught. The tithe was the tenth of agricultural increase, not 10% of all income BEFORE TAXES (as lying thieves teach). The first is the gift of God; the latter is owed the laborer. I like to "tithe" produce from a garden simply because it feels good to give something that was given to me to someone else who will be blessed by it.

And because it applied to a completely different dispensation, it makes no sense today.

Status
Not open for further replies.