Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Abraham’s tithe was didn’t consist of any of his crops or herd. He gave ten percent of the spoils of the men he and his kind had just murdered in order to recover Lot.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...he and his kind had just murdered in order to recover Lot.
full
(Using "murdered" in the same sentence as "to recover Lot" is contradictory.)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What Abraham’s tithe was didn’t consist of any of his crops or herd. He gave ten percent of the spoils of the men he and his kind had just murdered in order to recover Lot.
War is not murder. And if Abraham had committed a crime, Melchizedek would not have met with him and blessed him. So this is another attempt by you to distort the truth.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But I do believe tithing is a good standard of giving and we should give a portion to God.
Agreed. You could call it a good standard and a good start. But the problem arises when evangelical and fundamentalist churches fail to teach the truth about Christian giving, and talk about "tithes and offerings". You will notice that the epistles have much to say about this.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no other days that it works for me. I work Tuesday through Saturday. They are in school during the week. So there are no other days. They live 45 to 55 minutes away as well. I get them Friday evening to Sunday evening.

I'll keep you in prayer.... Both you are your childrens' spiritual lives are important.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the goods were the riches of Sodom, which had been looted in war and were being carried away by those who had defeated Sodom.
Abram gave a tenth, and bade that the food used by the men with him be granted to them, then gave everything else back to the king of Sodom.
Abram did not save only Lot, but all the people who had been captured

the goods probably consisted of crops and herds along with silver and gold and other riches.
Abram could have claimed a right to everything, as spoils of war, but he effectively gave all

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing
OP^

I view Tithing as setting aside a portion of an individuals “first fruits”, whatever they be, to offer/give to the organization/person that teaches you the Word of God.

Sort of strange “today”, making “promises” to give before you “have” produced any fruits, others eagle eyeing you to see, IF and or WHAT you give and a tax write off? Weird to me.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Won't get into this tonight, but thought it be a good discussion. Scriptures and thoughts on tithing.

Fyi, these are all wrong thoughts. Lol

Interesting to me is “bring the whole tithe into the storehouse” in Malachi. “The whole tithe” not blemished, nor weakened but instead strengthened, not missing an arm or leg or foot but made One and complete in Him. I get it is quoted often regarding tithing ten percent; for what follows after “the windows of Heaven open and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.”

(Imo) the whole tithe could also be: to be made whole. As in people. For example Colossians 2:10 you are complete in Him. Is complete the same as “whole”? Again, 1 Corinthians 3:9 now unto Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless (complete, whole) before the presence of His glory with exceeding Joy. With all the verses speaking of that which is made whole and complete and acceptable unto God. That (Imo) could be the bringing in to the storehouse the whole tithe. As Jesus Christ —without blemish—offered Himself.

All the references Paul gives is people offered as “whole” …”you are my joy in His presence” that you be made whole and complete in Him.

Where what follows in “bring the whole tithe into the storehouse” is “pour out a blessing for you until it overflows.
Isaiah 10:22 For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness.
What of Psalm 23:1-6 I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. [5] Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. [6] Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Or the pouring out of the Spirit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing
OP^

I view Tithing as setting aside a portion of an individuals “first fruits”, whatever they be, to offer/give to the organization/person that teaches you the Word of God.

Sort of strange “today”, making “promises” to give before you “have” produced any fruits, others eagle eyeing you to see, IF and or WHAT you give and a tax write off? Weird to me.
You just keep on keeping on with what you receive. If you have a short work week that week, and less money, you tithe on what you made. Who is eagle eyeing? It's between you and God what you give.

Why is that strange? You can't make promises to God? No one here is telling you to give money to God. But some of us feel that FOR US it is important. No one is condemning you here.

As for income tax, I don't do that because it wouldn't make a difference if I did. But who cares if someone does?

Is there something deeper here for you, that you have a problem with folks doing this?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the goods were the riches of Sodom, which had been looted in war and were being carried away by those who had defeated Sodom.

Abram did not save only Lot, but all the people who had been captured

the goods probably consisted of crops and herds along with silver and gold and other riches.

Hebrews 10:31-34 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. [32] But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions; [33] Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used. [34] For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.

Abram could have claimed a right to everything, as spoils of war, but he effectively gave all

Proverbs 16:18-19 Pride goes before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. [19] Better it is to be of an humble spirit (Christ) with the lowly, (Matthew 11:28-30) than to divide the spoil with the proud.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is that strange? You can't make promises to God? No one here is telling you to give money to God. But some of us feel that FOR US it is important. No one is condemning you here.

As for income tax, I don't do that because it wouldn't make a difference if I did. But who cares if someone does?

Is there something deeper here for you, that you have a problem with folks doing this?

concerning tithing 10 percent or whatever amount; where no matter whether it is 10 percent or fifty percent it is possibly “a symbol” which cannot make the worshipper perfect in conscience. In fact, as you said if one week is short; then comes guilt. Maybe not for you, but for someone. If not guilt, at least the repetition of purging of conscience?

which [is] a symbol
Both gifts and sacrifices are offered (in the church offering plates) which cannot make the worshipper perfect in conscience. No matter how high the dollar amount.

Since they [relate] only to food, and drink (the kingdom is not in food and drink but righteousness and peace), Since they [relate] to various washings, regulations for the body imposed until the reformation.

But when Christ appears [as] a high priest of good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation.

If money is an offering or sacrifice of 10 percent unto God (which cannot make perfect the conscience)
How much more Christ who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself (wholly) without blemish unto God.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (Whole?)

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bring the “whole tithe” (without blemish?) into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My House.

…windows of Heaven open and pour out a blessing for you until it overflows?

But seek you first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33
^until it overflows. What you shall eat and drink or put on: And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; [24] And that you put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. [25] Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. Ephesians 4:23-25

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
concerning tithing 10 percent or whatever amount; where no matter whether it is 10 percent or fifty percent it is possibly “a symbol” which cannot make the worshipper perfect in conscience. In fact, as you said if one week is short; then comes guilt. Maybe not for you, but for someone. If not guilt, at least the repetition of purging of conscience?

You make it sound like a chore. The tither knows that he gives firstfruits--that is all that is being asked,. So you just give that. And it's fine. I don't know who would feel guilty. I would feel guilty if i didn't tithe.
God says in Mal 3:10 to prove Him. So I do . I am none the lesser for it. I am blessed.
My tithe isn't a lot . But it comes off of my money first.

Re: Your Bible verses: Oh so we get those blessings without tithing.That is what you are saying about the windows of heaven--that they are now open. OK. Might work for you as a reason not to tithe, but not me. No one is asking you to tithe.

I still see nothing wrong with giving 10 percent. And I claim the promise.

What I don't get, and again no one is asking you to do so, or beating you over the head for not doing so, is why folks are up in arms about folk tithing?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no NT command to tithe.
The NT command is give whatever you have purposed in your heart, without compulsion.

We should not be using this language of the old covenant, compelling people to keep a 'law' of works. Wicked men burden their congregations with such things, 'selling salvation' and making merchandise of the gospel in order to become rich.

At the same time we ought to be generous in love and meeting needs as we are moved to. Not because there is any such law for us, not because any man is guilting us into it, but because we freely received - likewise with joy and compassion we ought to freely give.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing is done between God and the tither.
I understand what you say about wicked men increasing their wealth.
There is a day of reckoning coming for them.
Our pastors do not receive money from the local church. We do not pay them. Tithe is sent into the conference, and is evenly distributed throughout the conference. One who has a church of 500 gets paid the same as one who has 50.

Last edited:

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave a homeless guy that attends our church an egg McMuffin this morning. I think that went farther than that money to a church would go. I think when you give with your heart it pleases God. Not how much or necessarily to the church.