Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you do not feel compelled to tithe, don't do it. No man should judge you on this. Our church sends all tithe to the conference, so that it is evenly distributed among all of the pastors/ If a pastor has a small church, he gets paid as much as one who has a large church.
If you read Malachi 3:10, He says bring the tithe in and prove Him:
10 "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I don't think I said force. I believe that I said, tithe pushing churches. No one held a gun to my head. That just pushed hard using scripture such as the Malachi verse that states if you do not tithe you're under a curse.

At most it is coercion and guilt producing. Some fall for it, I didn't and it was the cause of some contention between my ex-wife and I. She did fall for it.

I see. All right, thanks for explaining.
I guess “guilt” is a type of motivation into “making” people do something. I donate freely especially during thanksgiving and Christmas but no one in the churches I go to, has made me feel guilty or even mentioned donating. There’s a box usually or I speak to the priest when I want to donate something.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see. All right, thanks for explaining.
I guess “guilt” is a type of motivation into “making” people do something. I donate freely especially during thanksgiving and Christmas but no one in the churches I go to, has made me feel guilty or even mentioned donating. There’s a box usually or I speak to the priest when I want to donate something.

Catholic, right?

I was raised Catholic, and you are correct, there is no pushing or guilt when it comes to the offering basket. When I can get there, I attend an Episcopal Church now and it's the same thing as the Catholic church. No pushing and no guilt.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is free will too.

There are consequences or loss of blessings when you choose not to give. But giving out of compulsion is definitely not a good way to give.
From what Jesus taught, the one clear way I see to "store treasures in heaven" is to give to the poor.

Much love!

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
If you do not feel compelled to tithe, don't do it. No man should judge you on this. Our church sends all tithe to the conference, so that it is evenly distributed among all of the pastors/ If a pastor has a small church, he gets paid as much as one who has a large church.
If you read Malachi 3:10, He says bring the tithe in and prove Him:
10 "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
i would argue that that is not “tithing” at all, as no “storehouse” is involved?

Reactions: marks

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you trying to make free will giving into obligation? No matter what color you paint something, it is what it is.

Much love!
Thank you Marks....You always make some very good points that I hadn't thought of. I always enjoy your responses. :rolleyes:

You are right. The man has "free will" to sell all that he has and give it to the poor. That is different than an obligation.

The point I was trying to make is that the NT doesn't flat out say that we HAVE TO tithe or give money to the poor. But it does say:

"I was hungry, and you gave me food, I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I, I, I was naked, and you gave me clothing, I was sick, and you took care of me, Give to everyone who begs from you, when you give a feast, invite the poor,.” etc etc

So in all fairness, according to Scripture, Christians are expected to do those things!! Soooooo in a sense...... it is an obligation. ESPECIALLY if we want to be perfect. Then we are to sell all that we have and give it to the poor! Are we obligated to sell all that we have....no, of course not.

But we are obligated as Christians to follow what is taught! Helping the poor, naked, sick, beggars etc is an obligation.

Respectfully, Mary

Reactions: marks

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Marks....You always make some very good points that I hadn't thought of. I always enjoy your responses. :rolleyes:

You are right. The man has "free will" to sell all that he has and give it to the poor. That is different than an obligation.

The point I was trying to make is that the NT doesn't flat out say that we HAVE TO tithe or give money to the poor. But it does say:

"I was hungry, and you gave me food, I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I, I, I was naked, and you gave me clothing, I was sick, and you took care of me, Give to everyone who begs from you, when you give a feast, invite the poor,.” etc etc

So in all fairness, according to Scripture, Christians are expected to do those things!! Soooooo in a sense...... it is an obligation. ESPECIALLY if we want to be perfect. Then we are to sell all that we have and give it to the poor! Are we obligated to sell all that we have....no, of course not.

But we are obligated as Christians to follow what is taught! Helping the poor, naked, sick, beggars etc is an obligation.

Respectfully, Mary

If we have the ability to do so.

Reactions: marks and Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is such an interesting thread.

We are free to give, in my opinion, much more generously than a tenth of our income as the Lord leads just like the Church of the book of Acts did.

But I think a tenth is a good place to start. I think tithing should be a heart matter between us and the Lord.

We are to give cheerfully and not under compulsion. Undue pressure from churches are wrong imo.
Hi Wyonna,

I generally agree with you. We are free to give and we are to do it cheerfully. But I also feel we are obligated or compelled to follow the very strong suggestions in Scripture:

"I was hungry, and you gave me food, I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I, was naked, and you gave me clothing, I was sick, and you took care of me, Give to everyone who begs from you, when you give a feast, invite the poor,.” etc etc

Especially if we want to be perfect in His eyes: Matthew 19:21

Respectfully, Mary

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Respectfully, Mary
We're here for a reason!

I do enjoy our discussions!

And I for one need to grow in generosity, myself!

Like you said, if we want to be perfect, complete and mature.

Much love!

Reactions: Marymog

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i would argue that that is not “tithing” at all, as no “storehouse” is involved?
Ok, but tithe was to go to the Levites. And so it is given to our pastors. I have no problem with this.

As for tithe, once a month when my SS check comes in, God gets the first 10% of it. If paying it to the church for distribution is not correct, He'll let me know another way. But it is still going out first.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...the Malachi verse that states if you do not tithe you're under a curse.
Tithers see that verse as a promise with conditions and
a statement of cause & effect,
not a threat.

I avoid prosperity doctrine-type churches.
Tithing is part of my church's teaching on finances, but finances are not the central focus of the church I attended.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Ok, but tithe was to go to the Levites. And so it is given to our pastors. I have no problem with this.
many don't i guess, and hey its your money, but i would not call that a "tithe"
income tax might even be a better analogy than providing for a pastor, unless that pastor is indeed a "storehouse?"
If paying it to the church for distribution is not correct
"for distribution" amen, but how many pastors really "distribute?"

Reactions: amadeus

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithers see that verse as a promise with conditions and
a statement of cause & effect,
not a threat.

I avoid prosperity doctrine-type churches.
Tithing is part of my church's teaching on finances, but finances are not the central focus of the church I attended.

One of the churches was a Baptist church actually.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
many don't i guess, and hey its your money, but i would not call that a "tithe"
income tax might even be a better analogy than providing for a pastor, unless that pastor is indeed a "storehouse?"

"for distribution" amen, but how many pastors really "distribute?"
I have no idea what this means. Our pastors are paid by the tithe. The church does not pay them.
Our pastor is doing his job. He deserves to be paid, as do the others.

You can call it what you like . It's tithe. And hey, it's not my money. the first 10% is the Lord's

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 3:10-11 KJV
[10] And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? [11] He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
I’m no mathematical genius, but this sounds like 50% to me.

Reactions: bbyrd009