Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting to me is “bring the whole tithe into the storehouse” in Malachi. “The whole tithe” not blemished, nor weakened but instead strengthened, not missing an arm or leg or foot but made One and complete in Him. I get it is quoted often regarding tithing ten percent; for what follows after “the windows of Heaven open and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.”

(Imo) the whole tithe could also be: to be made whole. As in people. For example Colossians 2:10 you are complete in Him. Is complete the same as “whole”? Again, 1 Corinthians 3:9 now unto Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless (complete, whole) before the presence of His glory with exceeding Joy. With all the verses speaking of that which is made whole and complete and acceptable unto God. That (Imo) could be the bringing in to the storehouse the whole tithe. As Jesus Christ —without blemish—offered Himself.

All the references Paul gives is people offered as “whole” …”you are my joy in His presence” that you be made whole and complete in Him.

Where what follows in “bring the whole tithe into the storehouse” is “pour out a blessing for you until it overflows.
Isaiah 10:22 For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness.
What of Psalm 23:1-6 I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. [5] Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. [6] Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Or the pouring out of the Spirit?
Malachi 3 is old covenant- not relevant to the new covenant - might as well go whole-hog and sacrifice animals, too, if they’re stuck in the old covenant.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You make it sound like a chore. The tither knows that he gives firstfruits--that is all that is being asked,. So you just give that. And it's fine. I don't know who would feel guilty. I would feel guilty if i didn't tithe.
God says in Mal 3:10 to prove Him. So I do . I am none the lesser for it. I am blessed.
My tithe isn't a lot . But it comes off of my money first.

Re: Your Bible verses: Oh so we get those blessings without tithing.That is what you are saying about the windows of heaven--that they are now open. OK. Might work for you as a reason not to tithe, but not me. No one is asking you to tithe.

I still see nothing wrong with giving 10 percent. And I claim the promise.

What I don't get, and again no one is asking you to do so, or beating you over the head for not doing so, is why folks are up in arms about folk tithing?

then it came out wrong because I’m not tying to make it sound like a chore, or beating anyone who tithes over the head. I’m confused over “I don't know who would feel guilty. I would feel guilty if i didn't tithe.” Isn’t that the same thing? Feeling guilty if you don’t, which is still a guilty conscience? No…yes?
Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Malachi 3 is old covenant- not relevant to the new covenant - might as well go whole-hog and sacrifice animals, too, if they’re stuck in the old covenant.

maybe so but (Imo) the blessing poured out until it overflows in Malachi is NT Acts 2:12-18 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What means this? [13] Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine. [14] But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, You men of Judaea, and all you that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: [15] For these are not drunken, as you suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. [16] But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: [18] And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Acts 10:44-45 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the word. [45] And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit. NT?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then it came out wrong because I’m not tying to make it sound like a chore, or beating anyone who tithes over the head. I’m confused over “I don't know who would feel guilty. I would feel guilty if i didn't tithe.” Isn’t that the same thing? Feeling guilty if you don’t, which is still a guilty conscience? No…yes?

I don't know if anyone who is a tithepayer would feel bad if they didn't make enough that month to tithe what they usually do. It is taking God at His Word, for me. He knows darn good and well how much I make, and if it wasn't as much as last month, I am sure He could care less. Malachi 3:10 is a verse with a promise. I claim that promise.

I never miss the money.

Lev 19:18, Deut 6:5

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know if anyone who is a tithepayer would feel bad if they didn't make enough that month to tithe what they usually do. It is taking God at His Word, for me. He knows darn good and well how much I make, and if it wasn't as much as last month, I am sure He could care less. Malachi 3:10 is a verse with a promise. I claim that promise.

I never miss the money.

What you’ve said here makes absolutely no sense, in contrast to what you’ve been saying.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

My God is living,I do serve Him and I can't believe you would take a verse like this and try to apply it to tithe, which I noticed you edited in later. What are you trying to prove anyway?

I promised i would tithe-to prove God, (Prove Me now herewith) which He said to do,and He is pouring out blessing. Why isn't my experience good enough for you?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I never miss the money.

Only suggesting Malachi promise is increase until it overflows. What is being increased, or sown for that matter, seems to vary by differing opinions. I get we all see things from different perspectives but I don’t think (Imo) money is what is being increased from being sown “planted” or “watered” in 1 Corinthians 3:6-7 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. [7] So then neither is he that plants any thing, neither he that waters; but God that gives the increase.

God gives the increase on our money brought into the storehouse?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you’ve said here makes absolutely no sense, in contrast to what you’ve been saying.
Can you explain. Do you mean the part about God not caring? Perhaps it was a wrong choice of words. What I mean is God knows how much I make. If it is not what I made the month before, it is still OK, because it is still 10%.
I hope that explains it.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only suggesting Malachi promise is increase until it overflows. What is being increased, or sown for that matter, seems to vary by differing opinions. I get we all see things from different perspectives but I don’t think (Imo) money is what is being increased from being sown “planted” or “watered” in 1 Corinthians 3:6-7 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. [7] So then neither is he that plants any thing, neither he that waters; but God that gives the increase.

God gives the increase on our money brought into the storehouse?
That is all I have to offer that has value besides time.There is no other way for me to provide meat to His house.

Malachi 3:10 " Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is all I have to offer that has value besides time.There is no other way for me to provide meat to His house.

that is not so. You have so much more to offer that has value. You think I’m squabbling over ten percent and cutting you down for it. I suspect you offer all you have which has more value than a little cents there or a lack of it there. I was a stay at home mom and homemaker for over thirty years. I was convinced deep to my core I had nothing to give or offer of value because I didn’t do anything that earned money. Your words are sad to me, thinking that is all you have to offer God of value …money and time.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you misread me, I am happy to tithe. If I had no tithe, He would understand. He's the Lord. The Author of Love and Compassion. He gave His life for me. I am nothing compared to my Creator, I owe Him everything. He provides for His own. May i not give to the storehouse?

I feel sorry for you. You throw up so many stop signs that you don't process what I am saying.
I think I'm done here.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel sorry for you. You throw up so many stop signs that you don't process what I am saying.
I think I'm done here.

I agree and was thinking the same thing; that this conversation isn’t helping. The topic of tithing is a touchy subject…

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one. The one I quoted in that post.

to answer though why the connection (wrong or right) of
Hebrews 9:14 to tithing …because of which [is] a symbol…both gifts and sacrifices. Relating to food and drink and various regulations for the body imposed

When considering tithing …would that be under regulations? All those things OT, symbols, or shadows as the sacrifices that could not make the worshipper perfect in conscience.

so I brought up what can in “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself (first fruit
1 Corinthians 15:19-20) without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe what the problem is, is that to many believe that a brick and mortar building is Gods storehouse.
When the temple stood, there were the storerooms for food for the Levites and for the poor. Now we are to each love others and give to their need.

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe what the problem is, is that to many believe that a brick and mortar building is Gods storehouse.

money is needful though. So it is all very confusing. Storehouse…money into the storehouse that you might have to give to a brother in need …I don’t know, so very confusing as one big contradiction.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
money is needful though. So it is all very confusing. Storehouse…money into the storehouse that you might have to give to a brother in need …I don’t know, so very confusing as one big contradiction.
It’s confusing because now we all give 30% or better maybe 50% of all our living to the government, which is what the Leviticus priest hood would have represented in Old Testament times.