Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Mayflower I used to pay 10% tithe and did it for 10 years and then when I needed help from my church they treated me like an idiot. So I'm careful now who I will pay. This is why I like churches like the Catholic church because they help a lot of people with the tithe money.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @devin553344

I do not go to church, so I do not tithe. However giving time to others is a tithe itself. So spending time with God or others is a free gift that is priceless. Though if people give freely money to a place (there also should be a notification given to possibly get some tax reductions for doing so), I believe it should be done from the heart if the spirit leads a person to do so. I believe those who do not have very much money they shouldn’t worry about giving anything and take care of their own matters that need addressed first.

I have heard someone say at a church before “Don’t forget to send in your money for this church building you wanted!” When I heard this it simply infuriated me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is a big hint I may expand on this further later depending on time. Yahweh does not change Mal 3:6 and Yeshua is the same yesterday, today and forever. Heb 13:8. With that being said that means God's word is the same. You want to understand tithing go back to the beginning and learn what tithing was from then. It is far different from the current doctrines of men on the subject. There are 3 Biblical tithes and more than 10%. In fact one tithe we are commanded to spend on ourselves for celebrating the Feast of Tabernacles. Who would have thought?
Please do not reply to me that, that was for the Jews. Lev 23 clearly says they are the Feasts of Yahweh. Also Yahweh's word declares that there is one Torah which means the teachings and instructions of Yahweh for the native born and the stranger/sojourner which also reveals that it wasn't just Israel that were keeping the feasts. Remember the mixed multitude that came out with them well they also kept the feast.

Blessings and Shalom

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Won't get into this tonight, but thought it be a good discussion. Scriptures and thoughts on tithing.

Fyi, these are all wrong thoughts. Lol

Tithing was a requirement of the Law covenant May, it was not carried over to the Law of the Christ. Christians give their time, talents, and treasures as well as they have vowed in their heart:
(2 Corinthians 9:6, 7) . . .But as to this, whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing was a requirement of the Law covenant May, it was not carried over to the Law of the Christ. Christians give their time, talents, and treasures as well as they have vowed in their heart:
(2 Corinthians 9:6, 7) . . .But as to this, whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

So Christ actually mentioned we should tithe. I was surprised.

Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the Law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others."

I believe Jesus was saying they should have tithed, but shouldn't have neglected these other weightier things of the law. Tithing needs to be done out of the right mind set to give the first fruits to God. I want to put God first in every area of my life including my finances.

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not tithe but give to those in need through the year, not only on Holidays.

Also need to distinguish from the tithe and what an offering is. Lev explains all the different types of offerings. This is what Paul had in mind about describing being a cheerful giver. Freewill offerings where like this.

Shalom

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also need to distinguish from the tithe and what an offering is. Lev explains all the different types of offerings. This is what Paul had in mind about describing being a cheerful giver. Freewill offerings where like this.

Shalom
I don't belong to a Church so I have no need to Tithe, but when I did attend Mass, I always gave to the Church.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tithe to the church we would go to, if they could accommodate us
and a different church that actually ministered to my non-disabled children, 50/50.
(If we found our preferred type of church that could accommodate us, we would go/tithe there.)

I can attest that God has kept His promise in Malachi 3:11 for us.
He does not promise to make us rich, but that our money would go farther (with His blessing).
We tithe net, earned income: wages, tax returns & pensions.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For many Christians, tithing smacks of legalism. Wasn’t it part of the Old Covenant Law, which no longer applies to us? And in all the many passages on money and giving in the New Testament, tithing is never even suggested, let alone commanded.

However, tithing pre-dates the Law. It is first mentioned when Abram gives to Melchizedek (who is God’s representative) a tenth of the spoils that he has just won in battle (Genesis 14:20). Two generations later, Jacob vows to give to God a tenth of everything he acquires (Genesis 28:22). So it is an ancient principle, later incorporated into the Law in order to finance worship in the Tabernacle and support the priests and Levites.

But when Paul writes to the Corinthians about giving, he carefully avoids prescribing either a set amount or a fixed proportion. “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (II Corinthians 9:7)

So tithing is not compulsory; but we should not therefore dismiss it altogether. For how do we decide how much of our income to give away? At least the 10% figure gives us something to work from! It suggests that we should be giving a significant amount, not just the few coins left in our purses at the end of the week. We should probably be giving away enough for us to notice a dent in our weekly or monthly budget. For the less well off, this might be only 5% (or even less); but for the richer ones among us, it should probably be 20% (or even more).

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tithe to the church we would go to, if they could accommodate us
and a different church that actually ministered to my non-disabled children, 50/50.
(If we found our preferred type of church that could accommodate us, we would go/tithe there.)

I can attest that God has kept His promise in Malachi 3:11 for us.
He does not promise to make us rich, but that our money would go farther (with His blessing).
We tithe net, earned income: wages, tax returns & pensions.

And this is what I was surprised about too. I learned that really the proper way is to tithe from Gross, because this is earned income before all the taxes and witholdings are taken out.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the Law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others."

I believe Jesus was saying they should have tithed, but shouldn't have neglected these other weightier things of the law. Tithing needs to be done out of the right mind set to give the first fruits to God. I want to put God first in every area of my life including my finances.

Another issue I haven't seen debated here... in a while? Maybe never, at least in the last four years.

Anyway, the video was good, LoL. I enjoyed it : )

In answer to your verse (and I will simply play Devil's Advocate here. I have serious reasons why tithing cannot be a New Testament teaching, but maybe I can give those later), in this verse He was speaking to the Jews, i.e. the scribes and Pharisees, and by extension to all Jews during that time, i.e. prior to the New Covenant. Tithing was clearly established under the Old, but this isn't really a verse that can be used to establish tithing in the New very well because of the timing.

Just a heads up.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is what I was surprised about too. I learned that really the proper way is to tithe from Gross, because this is earned income before all the taxes and witholdings are taken out.
This is a continuing --albeit minor-- disagreement among tithers.
Gross tithers don't tithe off of their tax returns; net tithers do.
(It is just a matter of how the Holy Spirit convicts you.)

Net tithers tithe off of profit and consider unreturned taxes to be loss; an item of overhead.
("Overhead" means a business expense. They reduce profits, but are expected.)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a continuing --albeit minor-- disagreement among tithers.
Gross tithers don't tithe off of their tax returns; net tithers do.
(It is just a matter of how the Holy Spirit convicts you.)

Net tithers tithe off of profit and consider unreturned taxes to be loss; an item of overhead.
("Overhead" means a business expense. They reduce profits, but are expected.)

Ohhhh okay. I didn't think about tax returns being a portion of taxes returned.

Reactions: Sabertooth

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe God honors the heart over legalism, but do believe tithing still applies to Christians today and want to do so right. I'll have to dig more and pray about it. Finances are one of those things I'm more comfortable talking about then in the past, because I realize it is just another thing God blessed us with. We are blessed to be a blessing to others. I still have quite a ways to go in being a better steward of my finances, but God surely does provide for us.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus was under law, as was those he directed that statement to Maam. It was not until his death that we were released from the law. Keep in mind God never changes Mal 3:6, and tithing was part of His law, so 10% is an excellent guideline, but also those under law were not under the commandments to make disciples as we are under the law of the Christ. Time is money some say, and that is very true, all Christians devote time in making disciples, as well as expense, these have to be factored in to what you give. Many of us give more than those who were under law, some less, but it is important that you give what you have vowed in your heart as I mentioned last time, which was recorded to God's people after Jesus' death who were released from the law.

If you would like more information on why Christians are not under the law to tithe, I will be glad to post it.