To live is to sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'll share this with you DNB. My brevity of answers is deliberate. If they are misinterpreted without further enquiry, so be it, for I have learned that without enquiry, without curiosity there is judgement and short sightedness even if a post is a page long.
That's fine, there is wisdom sometimes in being discreet with a reply. But, you brought up the manner in which to attain sanctification, which, again, is an extremely lofty, but elusive, ideal, and SIA asked you how well your advice was working for yourself, and you said 'spot on'.
Do you consider that to be either a reasonable or reliable response, for such a sublime aspiration?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's fine, there is wisdom sometimes in being discreet with a reply. But, you brought up the manner in which to attain sanctification, which, again, is an extremely lofty, but elusive, ideal, and SIA asked you how well your advice was working for yourself, and you said 'spot on'.
Do you consider that to be either a reasonable or reliable response, for such a sublime aspiration?
Get a grip on yourself DNB. Firstly, my response to another person is not your business and secondly your self appointed role of judge and jury is out of order!

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Play with and maintain that justification and it will take you to places you had not
The slippery slope argument?? Has some validity. But telling people "they must not masturbate ever" has serious consequences. It's the puritanical streak I abhor.
Young people just rebel anyway. Better to give them some room to move. Some space. Otherwise they will leave Christianity and look for more mature options.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's encouraging. Have to be honest though. I'm not a fan of suffering. I much prefer pleasure to pain.
You and me, both, lol. I don't volunteer for suffering. Thankfully, God just seems to have a way of handling that on his own. He guards the condition of your mind and life in such a way that its working his plan out, not ours. I've always said God seems to keep me on the edge of disaster all the time. Who knows where I'd be if he didn't do that.

Reactions: saintiaint

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The quiet shy person can actually be someone with a lot of defensive pride.”
@Ferris Bueller

“Yep!”
@Nancy

Actually you both are in error according to the scriptures.

1 Thessalonians 4:11
And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you

2 Thessalonians 3:12
Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.

1 Timothy 2:2
[Pray] For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

1 Peter 3:4
...a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s quite telling how I point you to the Bible, and you point me to men.
The Holy Spirit is the only teacher we need - if we have him. ???
But when we first become Christians, we need to receive guidance, education, preferably from a pastor with at least a Masters degree in a Bible based church. One can go off on a tangent if your Pastor does not teach sound doctrine. And then reading and listening to top scholars who have more knowledge and wisdom than it would take a lifetime for us to achieve, explain many doctrines that we could not result grasp. God teaches us gradually, in us but also through his annointed Spirit-filled shepards.
May I ask what church you attend or have attended?
A good church in the beginning of our faith is key. Look at the Letters to the Seven Churches in Revelation. Two had a good report (although Symrna was to be persecuted), and the rest needed repentance. There was blatant sin and corruption in most them. One was almost dead, another one He hated and wanted to vomit them out of his mouth.

You see most of us Christians know we have sin in our flesh, our old self and old habits - that we don't instantly drop! But over time and with the Helper, He sanctifies us from sin. SPIRITUALLY WE ARE INSTANTLY CLEANSED, but still have the flesh. When we die, we will finally get rid if it and recive new bodies.
Our fruit grows gradually, we grow to hate sin not just in others but in ourselves and so we practice self control, patience, kindness, gentleness; we become more generous and loving and as we mature we mortify the flesh. It becomes easier to say no to lusts, temptations. But don't fool yourself into thinking your life is any different than the average Pilgram. Have you read The Pilgrams Progress? Our faith is tested all through our lives. We are gradually being refined through life's experiences, tragedies, ups and downs, wins and losses. If we were all perfect, God wouldn't have to test us, refine us, convict us, chastise us and all throughout scripture, teach us how to live holy lives.
It is an unforgiving position to hold that you do not sin, that you do not do anything wrong to anyone, nor ever grieve the Holy Spirit. Billy Graham wouldn't admit that when He was alive or any Pope for that matter. Catholics know they need to confess their sins, Protestants do too. We do not need a Priest to do this, we confess directly to God, knowing that He is gracious to forgive.
Why? It keeps us humble and accountable, makes us not want to so it. Did you ever feel guilty about something? We feel guilt BECAUSE WE ARE GUILTY. Our conscience convicts and oh yes, the Holy Spirit is part of that consciuosness.
See, right now, in your state of thinking you do not sin, you do not believe you are accountable for any wrongs you do. Therefore, I doubt you feel the need to tell anyone you are sorry for your words or behavior - because you apparently are above that and have done nothing wrong. This is the ultimate hypocrisy and lack if understanding.

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald David Bruno

When an urge to sin comes to your mind; you have two options:

1. Fulfill the urge by obeying it.

2. Deny yourself and choose to obey righteousness.

Paul writes that fulfilling the desires of the flesh were things we used to do.

Ephesians 2:3
Among whom also we all had our conduct in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

We do not do these evils things anymore.

Unsaved people do.

You do not need a Bible college diploma to figure this out.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The quiet shy person can actually be someone with a lot of defensive pride.”
@Ferris Bueller

“Yep!”
@Nancy

Actually you both are in error according to the scriptures.

1 Thessalonians 4:11
And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you

2 Thessalonians 3:12
Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.

1 Timothy 2:2
[Pray] For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

1 Peter 3:4
...a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
I think you misunderstand. I'm not broad stroking all shyness as defensive pride. Some people appear shy but the truth is they are carefully guarding themselves out of defensive pride. Their pride won't allow them to be vulnerable to being hurt or taken advantage of or made fun of. It's a front they put forth to protect themselves.

Reactions: Nancy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Get a grip on yourself DNB. Firstly, my response to another person is not your business and secondly your self appointed role of judge and jury is out of order!
I'm not out-of-order, I'll show you out-of-order, you're out-of-order, this whole thread is out-of-order!

Al Pacino
And Justice For All (1979)

Last edited:

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sometimes think I am better off dead. I don't mean to attract sympathy by saying that or to be controversial.
I just feel despairing of avoiding sin. It's impossible to lead a sinless life. Even with God's grace.
To live is to sin is my conclusion. To want to live is to sin even. Why do I want to live? To achieve ambitious goals? To seek entertainment and pleasure? Even to gain status by showing others how I've discovered the truth in Jesus Christ? To prove my superior intellect? To trade insults with people online?
The list goes on. Life is the battleground of Satan versus Jesus in our hearts. And Satan at least wins some of the time. Once we are dead, the struggle ceases. No more conflict. No more opportunities to sin. Peace.

I hear you. Life is a very, very hard test. We win in the end so endure!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it better for us to "minimise" sin rather than avoid it altogether? Maybe that is more realistic.
I would think that the aspiration should be to eradicate sin entirely (be holy, as I am holy), but to not get self-condemning when one fails.

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's impossible to lead a sinless life.

Absolutely true.

That is why Christ died, to purchase forgiveness for sincer Christians who make a sincer effort not to sin. and because we definitely will still sin, a way out has been provided, simply ask for forgiveness, and God will forgive us.

Why are we, as Christians, here? So God can see if we can walk the path to salvation or not, teach that path to others, or in a nutshell, Love God and live a full life.

Last edited:

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's not what we "do" that saves us, it's that we are saved that we "do
Yes that sounds right.
I just have a question about Judgement Day.
So Judgement Day arrives. Won't we be judged on what we do? On how we followed the will of God?
Some will have done more than others? Will they be rewarded?
Or are we all treated the same on Judgement Day? If so, why have judgement day?
To me Judgement Day separates those who have put their faith into action and those who haven't.
Thanks

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Judgement Day arrives. Won't we be judged on what we do? On how we followed the will of God?
There is the will of God as far as your personal obedience to holiness is concerned, and there is the will of God regarding the spiritual gift you have received. How you live personally according to the fruit of the Spirit is what God will use as the evidence to either convict or acquit you in regard to your salvation. Note, I said 'evidence'. Obedience to God does not earn salvation but only shows if you have faith and are saved.

What you did in regard to your spiritual gift—evangelizing, teaching, serving, etc.—has no bearing on your salvation but will determine the extent of your reward in the kingdom to come, that is, if it's successful in building up others to safely pass through the flames of the coming judgment.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes that sounds right.
I just have a question about Judgement Day.
Or are we all treated the same on Judgement Day? If so, why have judgement day?
To me Judgement Day separates those who have put their faith into action and those who haven't.
Thanks

Hi SIA,
Christians will not be judged for their sin but there will be many "works" burnt up. What that means as far as their status in heaven I couldn't say.
And yes, there will be rewards...of what kind and or level, dunno! I don't believe we will all be treated the same on judgment day though, simply because of the "rewards". BUT, all Christians will be saved IMHO.

1 Corinthians3:15
"If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."
1 Corinthians 3:12
"12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13his workmanship will be evident, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will prove the quality of each man’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward."

"To me Judgement Day separates those who have put their faith into action and those who haven't."

If you mean "those who put their faith in "Jesus" then I would agree :)

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi SIA,
Christians will not be judged for their sin but there will be many "works" burnt up. What that means as far as their status in heaven I couldn't say.
And yes, there will be rewards...of what kind and or level, dunno! I don't believe we will all be treated the same on judgment day though, simply because of the "rewards". BUT, all Christians will be saved IMHO.

1 Corinthians3:15
"If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."
1 Corinthians 3:12
"12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13his workmanship will be evident, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will prove the quality of each man’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward."

"To me Judgement Day separates those who have put their faith into action and those who haven't."

If you mean "those who put their faith in "Jesus" then I would agree :)
Thanks Nancy
May I ask. Does the reward of Heaven motivate you now?
Could you love Jesus if there was no eternal life? Only this life?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Nancy
May I ask. Does the reward of Heaven motivate you now?
Could you love Jesus if there was no eternal life? Only this life?

"Could you love Jesus if there was no eternal life? Only this life?"

Ha! I once started a thread on this!
To me, once one knows the Truth, it seems impossible to turn back...especially if you did once before in the past...but then one would not have really "known" Truth.
I like to say that, yes I would surely still love and follow Him as He has our best interests in mind and, ALL blessings come from Him. And of course, Hell is a pretty good deterrent too :eek:

Rewards do not motivate me, no. What motivates me is the peace I find in Him.