Todd Akin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I wonder what other folks think about the way the Republican party has reacted to Todd Akin's unfortunate mistake when he was defending unborn children. The Republican establishment and all the talk show people put enormous pressure on him to quit, and he said no. He did not commit any moral failing, no crime, no ethical lapse. He spoke clumisily, and a little stupidly, about defending unborn babies. He apologized sincerely. The party power brokers, irrationally it seems, left him behind on the political battlefield, wounded and bleeding, a casualty of his self-inflicted, but not intentional wound. Isn't the Republican party supposed to be the party of life?

Or am I wrong, and should he be hounded from the field?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the problem was that his ignorant comment sounded like he was excusing rape.

the Republican party recognized his comment for what it sounded like and abandoned him. Unfortunately, for republicans, the damage has been done.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, there is not much doubt certain people see blood in the water and go for it.

I mean I'd argue it's the price of being a public figure - you're expected to be able to speak reasonably about sensitive topics and this wasn't just a minor slip-up. It came off as insensitive. I don't particularly agree with the party's abandonment of him, as there is a way you could come out and say that it was a bone-headed comment, but that you recognize he did make a mistake. It's funny how grace is lacking in this whole thing, but hey that's the world.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
When the Democrats have launched an all-out attack, claiming that Republicans are anti-women because they do not approve of abortion under all circumstances and do not feel that others should have to pay for a woman's birth control, what this man said simply plays into Democrat's hands.

If I somehow knew that if another Republican had said this and this man would not call for THAT Republican to step down because it could cost them a chance at retaking the Senate, then I would be more in his corner. But I do not feel that is the case.

Words carry consequences....at least for members of one party. Apparently that isn't the case for Biden and several other Democrats.

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Hang on a second, Mr. Obama beleives it should be legal to deliver a 7 month baby's head from the mother's body, plunge forceps into its brain to kill it, pull the rest of the baby out, and call that an abortion. This is something abhorent to the vast majority of Americans, even most supposed "pro choice" people. That is what Mr. Obama voted to allow in the Illinois legislature when he was there. And nobody has a problem with his position.

Rep. Akin said "legitimate rape" and people are flabergasted. Well, if he had used the term "forcible" that might have been better. There are certainly cases of statutory rape where a 23 year old has consentual relations with a 17 year old. Is that a "legitimate" case where the rape is so heinous that the mother should be entitled to kill the baby? See, there really are different kinds of rape. There's rape by force and then there's rape by definition. A 16 year old can consent to sex in Michigan, but a girl has to be 18 in Florida. What is a crime in one state is not a crime in the other. Yet the media screams "rape is rape". And then there are false allegations of rape, which are not legitimate. So there really is a discussion to be had, but in this country there can no longer be discussion on so many topics. Race is another one.

Supposedly pro life Christian candidates abondoned Akin for a single mistake in speaking. That is what it has come to. If we run for the exits every time the liberal media yells "boo!", what does that say? I believe Akin is an honorable man. I notice that Mike Huckabee has not abandoned him, and I think that's admirable. Funny, I knew nothing of Akin until this flap occurred. Now I respect and even like the guy. I'll bet he never makes that kind of mistake ever again!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Hang on a second, Mr. Obama beleives it should be legal to deliver a 7 month baby's head from the mother's body, plunge forceps into its brain to kill it, pull the rest of the baby out, and call that an abortion. This is something abhorent to the vast majority of Americans, even most supposed "pro choice" people. That is what Mr. Obama voted to allow in the Illinois legislature when he was there. And nobody has a problem with his position.

-- The reason for that is simple. The majority of people crying crocodile tears about the Republican war on woman actually support Obama's position on this.

They believe that any attempt to restrict access to on-demand abortion is "a war on women."

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, I know......let's make Todd Akin's ignorant, insensitive comment about Democrats! LOL

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that might come in a notch above the Biden apologists' line that he wasn't really talking about slavery even though he was really talking about slavery. I mean they're trying to make that ignorant and insensitive comment into something about Romney, so what's the difference?

(Hint: It occurs on both sides.)

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Hey, I know......let's make Todd Akin's ignorant, insensitive comment about Democrats! LOL

-- Well, if the truth be known, if you are going to use the word 'ignorant' and 'insensitive,' then the word 'Democrat' is also like to be in there somewhere ;)

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL

No, that's not what I said. I was asking why there is such a difference, a double standard. Just from the coverage there's obviously a double standard. I agree, it was an ignorant insensitive remark. In the scheme of evils, which is more evil? Akin's insensitive remark for which he has apologized, or the result of Obama's actual legislative vote allowing the murder of babies that could easily live except that they are killed? Why is there no balance in evaluating the positions? And why are the Republicans so inept? Why to they always role over when this is done to them?

The networks are now running "special reports" out the wazoo about the Mormon church. Not a peep about black liberation theology, the school of thought that was the foundation of Mr. Obama's religious expression for over 20 years unitl his pastor became toxic. Why no special reports about the teachings of Mr. Obama's church?

Why a double standard?

Oh, and hammerstone, they both do it for sure. But, Akin has admitted his wrong and apologized for it. How does that compare to Biden's response to his ignorant insensitive remark?

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
To his credit, Charlie Rangel came out against Biden's comments saying, "You bet your life it was stupid" http://politicker.com/2012/08/rangel-on-biden-chains-comment-you-bet-your-life-it-was-stupid/

But there was no comment/criticism from the Congressional Black Caucus, the NAACP, Black Panthers, etc. etc. etc.

Pause for a moment and picture the firestorm that would have occurred if a prominent Republican, or even the Republican VP candidate Ryan had said that.

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I guess I'm thinking that I'm still a little disappointed at having a presidential candidate who just 8 years ago looked into a camera and said "I will ALWAYS defend a woman's right to choose". And then when we have a strong pro-life candidate who is willing to defend unborn children, everybody turns on him because of a single stupidicism. Talk about swallowing a camel and straining at a gnat...

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Its all about PC...the left has had incredible success in shaping the nation,it's politics,speech,attitudes,taboos...everything,while the right has failed miserably.....either because they don't have the will,desire or ability to fight back,or it's just alot of lip service and hypocrisy.

The left fights with conviction and stands by those who share the same convictions no matter what while the right will abandon someone in a minute if they slip up even by left wing standards such as in this case.The advantage the left has always had over the right is that what the left is willing and capable of doing far exceeds what the right thinks they are capable of or will suspend their fantasies of swellness and white picket fences long enough to consider.

The left has no rules while the right has nothing but rules and will allow their opponents to make their rules for them in a quest for popularity and acceptence from people who will never like or accept them........such as in this case.

The left slowly and with determination put their people in place year after year and election after election,while the right retreated to their tax shelters,Golf Courses,investments and gated communities...and also to their churches full of people who were way to high and holy and above it all to soil themselves in a attempt to save their country...oh my no....these highly respectable folks just couldn't be bothered....with their tall tales of bootstrap glory their solution for everything was to just work harder and start a business and enter into the Nirvana of commerce and accounts receivable....and the left steadily worked towards their goals.....now the right are loosing their tax shelters,investments,can't afford the country club anymore and wonder what happened....the churched variety now seek shelter in mega churches where smiling men with attractive wives tell them that God loves them and wants them to have their "best life now" and if they sow that "seed of faith" they can have it.

So now we have two nice polite well mannered white guys right out of a Sears catalogue going against the chain saw of the left....we will see....a study of the McCarthy era and what old Joe had to say in light of todays world is a real eye opener

Reactions: Brother James

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um....I believe 'Turd Blossom' (google it) is the undisputed, heavyweight champion of the world when it comes to manipulating language

"Death panels"

"Death Tax"

"Class warfare"

"War on Terror"

"Anger points"

"flip-flopper"

And liberals are accused of manipulating language - and controlling what people say? HAHA

Well, that might come in a notch above the Biden apologists' line that he wasn't really talking about slavery even though he was really talking about slavery. I mean they're trying to make that ignorant and insensitive comment into something about Romney, so what's the difference?

(Hint: It occurs on both sides.)

Biden is an idiot.

The fact is, in today's world, insensitive language brings consequences no matter who you are.

The President of the University of Oregon almost lost his job 10 years ago when he accidently referred to a person of Asian descent as 'Oriental' - it is due to our plural society, not liberals.

No, that's not what I said. I was asking why there is such a difference, a double standard. Just from the coverage there's obviously a double standard. I agree, it was an ignorant insensitive remark. In the scheme of evils, which is more evil? Akin's insensitive remark for which he has apologized, or the result of Obama's actual legislative vote allowing the murder of babies that could easily live except that they are killed? Why is there no balance in evaluating the positions? And why are the Republicans so inept? Why to they always role over when this is done to them?

The networks are now running "special reports" out the wazoo about the Mormon church. Not a peep about black liberation theology, the school of thought that was the foundation of Mr. Obama's religious expression for over 20 years unitl his pastor became toxic. Why no special reports about the teachings of Mr. Obama's church?

Why a double standard?

Oh, and hammerstone, they both do it for sure. But, Akin has admitted his wrong and apologized for it. How does that compare to Biden's response to his ignorant insensitive remark?

I was not referring to your post.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
On the flip side, people also get offended out of ignorance:

Williams Aide Resigns in Language Dispute
[size="-1"]By Yolanda Woodlee
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 27, 1999; [/size]
The director of D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams's constituent services office resigned after being accused of using a racial slur, the mayor's office said yesterday.

David Howard, head of the Office of Public Advocate, said he used the word "niggardly" in a Jan. 15 conversation about funding with two employees.
"I used the word 'niggardly' in reference to my administration of a fund," Howard said in a written statement yesterday. "Although the word, which is defined as miserly, does not have any racial connotations, I realize that staff members present were offended by the word.

"I immediately apologized," Howard said. " . . . I would never think of making a racist remark. I regret that the word I did use offended anyone."
When Howard, who is white, noticed the reaction to his use of the word, he apologized to his three-member staff, which is made up of two blacks and another white. It is unclear which two employees he was addressing when he used the word.

Soon after the remark was uttered, the rumor mill started churning that Howard had used the word "nigger."
Howard said he has received numerous telephone calls since Jan. 15 from people in the community who had heard "I had made a racist remark . . . [which is] in fact unquotable here."

The Barnhard Dictionary of Etymology traces the origins of "niggardly" to the 1300s and the words nig and nigon, meaning miser, in Middle English. It also notes possible earlier origins in languages including Old Icelandic, Old English and Middle High German. There is no mention of any racial connotation.

Howard said the rumor that he had used a racial slur "has severely compromised my effectiveness as the District's Public Advocate and in the best interest of my office, I resigned," effective Monday.

Howard is the second mayoral appointee in two weeks to quit, and his resignation comes at a time when Williams's administration is being bombarded with questions regarding race relations -- his "loyalty" to his race as well as the diversity of his staff. Williams (D) is black; Howard was one of four white men Williams appointed on the first official business day of his administration.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Remember these:

"My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize." -Rep. Hank Johnson (D) still in office.

"[be]cause the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees, and the crust of the earth is hot ..." - Frm V.P. Al Gore (D)

“Every week we don’t pass a Stimulus package, 500 million Americans lose their jobs.” -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D) still in office.

“I believe in natural gas as a clean, cheap alternative to fossil fuels.” -Rep. Pelosi again

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt [wasn't President] got on the television [no televisions] and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened." -V.P. Joe Biden (D) still in office.

Democrats say more dumb things more often yet stay in office without a peep from the MSM.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember these:

"My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize." -Rep. Hank Johnson (D) still in office.

"[be]cause the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees, and the crust of the earth is hot ..." - Frm V.P. Al Gore (D)

“Every week we don’t pass a Stimulus package, 500 million Americans lose their jobs.” -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D) still in office.

“I believe in natural gas as a clean, cheap alternative to fossil fuels.” -Rep. Pelosi again

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt [wasn't President] got on the television [no televisions] and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened." -V.P. Joe Biden (D) still in office.

Democrats say more dumb things more often yet stay in office without a peep from the MSM.

Reagan and W alone have contributed more stupidity to public life than all the Democrats in office today.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Reagan and W alone have contributed more stupidity to public life than all the Democrats in office today.

-- He also brought us successfully out of the Carter debacle, helped create several years of prosperity within American, and was instrumental in bringing about the collapse of the Soviety Union and the end of the Cold War. This AFTER almost dying of a gunshot wound to the heart by an assassin.

It was Senator Obama who while campaiging said that Bush adding $4.9 Trillion to the Deficit over eight years was "inexcusable" and "unpatriotic."

It was President Obama, less than two full months in office that promised to cut the Deficit IN HALF during his first term.

That's the same President Obama who then went on to add more to the Deficit over the next three years ($5.1 Trillion) than Bush added in a full eight.

Open mouth, insert foot.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Its about ideology and the cause,not saying stupid things.....most people will support anyone who supports their own basic veiw of the world and how it should be run and as always the ends justify the means.

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL

Fortunately, neither of them is running for anything this year :)

Hey, ever since Eisenhower the Democrats have tried to portray the Republican presidential nominee as stupid. It must be on page three of their play book or something. BA, loved your quotes so much I thought I'd offer a few more:

"Those who died in the earthquake, their lives will never be the same again." - Barbara Boxer

"I believe that gays and lesbians should have the same rights as homosexuals." - Al Sharpton (2002)

"Outside of the killings, we have one of the lowest crime rates in the country." - Marion Barry, D.C. Mayor

"But I don't know that she's ever had a real job - I mean since she's been grown up." - Teresa Heinz-Kerry re: former librarian Laura Bush

"A zebra does not change its spots." - Al Gore re: George H W Bush in 1992

"It's a new day, communism is dead, it's even dead in Cuba, I hate to say it, it's dead." - Barbara Boxer