Tongues, a SIGN to the UNBELIEVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What type of SIGN is tongues to the UNBELIEVER

• A positive sign as a method of preaching

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • A negative sign of judgment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, I will have to re-read your post...have not thought of it that way before. I so wish to be able to pray in tongues as sometimes I'm overwhelmed with prayer as there are so many to pray for and about. I have prayed for this gift, but to be honest (of course!) I always believed that tongues were actual human languages. I can see both sides here...something tells me that tongues of other languages are most likely used to reach other Nations so as to preach in their own language so they can understand what is spoken. Personally, the praying in tongues kind of scares me, lol.
Good post, food for thought!
Hi Nancy,

I likewise have not received the gift of tongues, though I may know the reason, that God desires of me to be more spiritual in praying with understanding, and is strengthening my inner man with that discipline.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy,

I likewise have not received the gift of tongues, though I may know the reason, that God desires of me to be more spiritual in praying with understanding, and is strengthening my inner man with that discipline.

Much love!

Ah yes, praying with understanding is something I move in and out of...He is ever in the forefront of my mind and He knows I desire more than anything to be faithful in fervent effective prayer! Satan know so well how to attack us constantly. I do need more discipline!
In Him Always!

Reactions: marks

eik

Jan 10, 2020
Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why do people seek the gift of tongues when it is accounted a lesser gift (1 Cor 12;28)? Are you devaluing yourself? Christians are to desire the greater gifts (1 Cor 12;31). How many with the gift of tongues genuinely use the gift as a sign to unbelievers? Can one really profess to speak in the tongues of angels, if one cannot yet speak in human tongues? Questions for tongue speakers that I never had any answers to.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do people seek the gift of tongues when it is accounted a lesser gift (1 Cor 12;28)? Are you devaluing yourself? Christians are to desire the greater gifts (1 Cor 12;31). How many with the gift of tongues genuinely use the gift as a sign to unbelievers? Can one really profess to speak in the tongues of angels, if one cannot yet speak in human tongues? Questions for tongue speakers that I never had any answers to.

I certainly hope people don't use the gift as a sign to unbelievers. That's a no, no.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Who said that anyone did ..we seek God and He does the rest.
As for saying - How many with the gift of tongues genuinely use the gift as a sign to unbelievers? - When it comes to that part of the issue..that is outside the home, in public , usually in a gathering and "an unbeliever walks in..etc etc " It is God who decides if a gift of tongues is to be used.
If The Spirit does not prompt a believer to do so..then God speaks to the man via another avenue.

When we pray in tongues 'at will' it is in our home during prayer or worship. When we are praying for some tricky-issue and don't know the wisdom of God..then tongues is the way to go..because GOD knows what is being prayed for the issue at hand.

I must say I was going to "Welcome you" to the site...but I am not sure.
You pick a subject that obviously you have a strong opinion about already.
Most people like you come here to just argue , or pick a fight...we don't need that...they don't come here to discuss or ask genuine questions.

The Christians who desire to speak in tongues are those who have a genuine heart after God and wish to pray more effectively which bypasses the brain and mind.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about:
"Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers." 1 Corinthians 14:22 ?

Nancy, it is a negative sign, not a positive sign unless it is accompanied with interpretation. Negatively, unbelievers and the uninformed (Cessationists) will only mock it causing them judgment. Read verse 23

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I certainly hope people don't use the gift as a sign to unbelievers. That's a no, no.

Cant agree 100% here....

1 Cor 14 22 "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe."

I have seen it both way in gatherings.
I have seen an unsaved come in..and someone unaware of them entering behind them, is giving a message in tongues ....God knowing all things...gives an interpretation of tongues ...

I have also been in an open air meeting back in London at Hyde Park Corner ....where someone gave a message in tongues ..there was no interpretation. A man at the back who had just stopped on the edge of the crowd to see what was going on ...yelled out... ( this was in the 50's so I forget which country he was from..)he yelled out and came running to the front...and said that God had spoken to his every sin in his own language, and right there in the open airer meeting in our lunch hour , he gets gloriously saved.

God is the one who calls the shots on what can and cannot be done!

Praise God !!

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about:
"Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers." 1 Corinthians 14:22 ?

@Nancy see my post #48 :)
You are correct...
God does not live in a box!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I love the story where King David and his men are very weak and hungry.

David does what 'everyone' and God Himself made rules about!!

He took the holy shew bread ..kept in the Holy Place on the table ..
He gave it to his men to eat.

David looked beyond rules and regulations and saw God's heart...just as God saw his. " A man after my own heart"

Reactions: amadeus

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cant agree 100% here....

1 Cor 14 22 "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe."

I have seen it both way in gatherings.
I have seen an unsaved come in..and someone unaware of them entering behind them, is giving a message in tongues ....God knowing all things...gives an interpretation of tongues ...

I have also been in an open air meeting back in London at Hyde Park Corner ....where someone gave a message in tongues ..there was no interpretation. A man at the back who had just stopped on the edge of the crowd to see what was going on ...yelled out... ( this was in the 50's so I forget which country he was from..)he yelled out and came running to the front...and said that God had spoken to his every sin in his own language, and right there in the open airer meeting in our lunch hour , he gets gloriously saved.

God is the one who calls the shots on what can and cannot be done!

Praise God !!

They received interpretation. Tongues spoken with no interpretation is a no no.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They received interpretation. Tongues spoken with no interpretation is a no no.

Then take out up with God when you 'get there'.

As I say , you cannot put God in 'your' little box.
He saved a man before our eyes...he HEARD a tongue spoken in his own language...there was NO interpretation.

You can keep repeating it over and over...but God does what He likes , when He likes , and He doesn't ask permission. lol

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...come to that...what I just posted above in #52 is what happened at Pentecost in Acts ...
"they each heard a message in tongues in their own language ..."
They were unbelievers ...and there was NO interpretation...

Reactions: amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...Acts 2
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

No interpreter there...

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then take out up with God when you 'get there'.

As I say , you cannot put God in 'your' little box.
He saved a man before our eyes...he HEARD a tongue spoken in his own language...there was NO interpretation.

You can keep repeating it over and over...but God does what He likes , when He likes , and He doesn't ask permission. lol

HE WAS THE SUPERNATURAL INTERPRETER! Good grief, don't you know that is how the gift of interpretation works? 1 Cor. 14:2 says no man understands tongues. The one speaking in tongues wasn't speaking HIS LANGUAGE. It could have been anything, but the one receiving the gift of interpretation HEARS their own language to give the interpretation. And sometimes, it is unbelievers that receive the interpretation. I've seen it happen too in Arizona, with a teenager that wasn't saved yet, and a group of her Christian friends circled her and one prayed in tongues, and all she heard was English. If the tongue had been English, then everyone would have understood.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
HE WAS THE SUPERNATURAL INTERPRETER! Good grief, don't you know that is how the gift of interpretation works? 1 Cor. 14:2 says no man understands tongues. The one speaking in tongues wasn't speaking HIS LANGUAGE. It could have been anything, but the one receiving the gift of interpretation HEARS their own language to give the interpretation. And sometimes, it is unbelievers that receive the interpretation. I've seen it happen too in Arizona, with a teenager that wasn't saved yet, and a group of her Christian friends circled her and one prayed in tongues, and all she heard was English. If the tongue had been English, then everyone would have understood.

You are rude.
In this new year I am picking my battles on this forum...
And someone that can't post politely and thinks that they know all things is not one that I will bother with.

As they wise saying goes - "A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with just an opinion . "

The man in the park that day did not interpret the tongue. What he said was the same as in Acts ..He heard his own language ...no one interpreted it to any of them in Acts either.

You obviously get very frustrated when disagreed with.
I read somewhere that it is a sign of immaturity.

So you have to argue this one out with God, not me.

News flash ...God always Wins. :)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are rude.
In this new year I am picking my battles on this forum...
And someone that can't post politely and thinks that they know all things is not one that I will bother with.

As they wise saying goes - "A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with just an opinion . "

The man in the park that day did not interpret the tongue. What he said was the same as in Acts ..He heard his own language ...no one interpreted it to any of them in Acts either.

You obviously get very frustrated when disagreed with.
I read somewhere that it is a sign of immaturity.

So you have to argue this one out with God, not me.

News flash ...God always Wins. :)

Read Acts 2 again. They all heard THEM speaking their own language. One heard THEM speaking his language, another heard THEM speaking his own language. It was like a choir. Each HEARD (gift of interpretation) their own language.

What I think is rude is people being rude to GOD, trying to change Scripture. What about 1 Corinthians 14:2 is so hard to understand? This is the rule for stories to conform to, not the other way around!

2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Last edited:

eik

Jan 10, 2020
Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I must say I was going to "Welcome you" to the site...but I am not sure.
You pick a subject that obviously you have a strong opinion about already.
Most people like you come here to just argue , or pick a fight...we don't need that...they don't come here to discuss or ask genuine questions.
I am sorry if you did not think my questions were genuine. I was under the impression that they were as they were based on what I read in scripture. I personally have no desire to speak in tongues as I find that I am frequently misunderstood even when I speak in English. I have however always desired "the greater gifts."

To condem me as "coming here to just argue , or pick a fight" just for asking some ordinary questions when you know nothing about me, is really a message to "get lost." I will do as you wish.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...come to that...what I just posted above in #52 is what happened at Pentecost in Acts ...
"they each heard a message in tongues in their own language ..."
They were unbelievers ...and there was NO interpretation...
I see it as a different gift Helen!

"To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:" I Cor 12:10

Years ago I searched the scriptures and counted at least different tongue gifts as per scripture. One of them requires an interpretation. A second one is described in Acts 2 and in your man at Hyde Park. The third one is the one which is my own gift, a prayer language which I have used daily in prayer for many years. My wife is involved both in the first one which is a message requiring interpretation. She has also given interpretations.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I see it as a different gift Helen!

"To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:" I Cor 12:10

Years ago I searched the scriptures and counted at least different tongue gifts as per scripture. One of them requires an interpretation. A second one is described in Acts 2 and in your man at Hyde Park. The third one is the one which is my own gift, a prayer language which I have used daily in prayer for many years. My wife is involved both in the first one which is a message requiring interpretation. She has also given interpretations.

agree, I think we see it the same or close.

1) the prayer and worship language ... 2) in the meeting , needing interpretation..( Like your wife , I have often given a tongue in a meeting..) Dave has not...but he has interpreted and also prophesied.
I hadn't thought of a third as in Acts and Hyde Park.
We also knew a woman missionary , India. She was so moved once by the Lord...they came to a village that she hadn't been to before, none on the group with her knew the local dialect , so she stood on a cart and just spoke in tongues ...and many of the villagers got saved that night..including the chief. She was only moved upon to do the once.
She was an old lady and a little old thing...but the power fell when she preached in our Mission Hall. :)