Tongues, a SIGN to the UNBELIEVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What type of SIGN is tongues to the UNBELIEVER

• A positive sign as a method of preaching

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • A negative sign of judgment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see it as a different gift Helen!

"To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:" I Cor 12:10

Years ago I searched the scriptures and counted at least different tongue gifts as per scripture. One of them requires an interpretation. A second one is described in Acts 2 and in your man at Hyde Park. The third one is the one which is my own gift, a prayer language which I have used daily in prayer for many years. My wife is involved both in the first one which is a message requiring interpretation. She has also given interpretations.

I do not see three, but just the two.

Mark 16:16-18 (prayer language that can be interpreted as on the Day of Pentecost, but it is not a requirement. These are TO God. They were heard praising God.)

1 Corinthians 12 (messages FROM God, that require interpretation, and the Spirit uses it sometimes to save an unbeliever, as the man from Hyde Park.)

If there is an interpretation, what is revealed determines whether or not it is Mark 16, or 1 Cor. 12. To God, or From God.

What is amazing about the gift of interpretation of tongues is the hearer swears they are hearing their own language. Many times the gift of faith accompanies it. Romans 10:17 and how many are saved through it.

Last edited:

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
do all speak in tongues"?
Ha! You are correct!Why do they think many of the Ot prophets were hated and persecuted...not because of GOOD news, warnings, yes!
As far as tongues, I have never had the gift but I have one brother and one sister that do. Aren't we to not forbid tongues? Some Christians have said I was not saved because I did not speak in tongues..."do all speak in tongues"? Cor.12:30.

The people that lay that charge on you are usually people who do not understand tongues. The tongue spoken of here are the tongues that are other natural languages that have not been learned by the speaker of the tongue. In fact, in the original scriptures, this tongue is called a language.

Reactions: Nancy

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not see three, but just the two.

Mark 16:16-18 (prayer language that can be interpreted as on the Day of Pentecost, but it is not a requirement. These are TO Go. They were heard praising God.)

1 Corinthians 12 (messages FROM God, that require interpretation, and the Spirit uses sometimes to save an unbeliever, as the man from Hyde Park.)

If there is an interpretation, what is revealed determines whether or not it is Mark 16, or 1 Cor. 12. To God, or From God.

What is amazing about the gift of interpretation of tongues is the hearer swears they are hearing their own language. Many times the gift of faith accompanies it. Romans 10:17 and how many are saved through it.

The day of Pentecost was not the prayer language type of tongues because it says that the crowd heard them speak in their own language. The word, in this case, is not tongues, it is language.

Reactions: Nancy

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The day of Pentecost was not the prayer language type of tongues because it says that the crowd heard them speak in their own language. The word, in this case, is not tongues, it is language.

Tongues are languages.

Neither ability of speaking in tongues (Mark 16 or 1 Cor. 12) is understood by man. They can only be understood by the supernatural gift of interpretation of tongues. God gave that gift to the devout Jews. That is how they understood in their own languages.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The people that lay that charge on you are usually people who do not understand tongues. The tongue spoken of here are the tongues that are other natural languages that have not been learned by the speaker of the tongue. In fact, in the original scriptures, this tongue is called a language.

No one is saying tongues are not a language. Of course it is language. God created all languages. But when spoken, no man understands it. 1 Corinthians 14:2 is the rule.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Can you think of a supernatural gift of the Spirit that would allow someone to understand speaking in tongues?

Well, if you can, you are on you way to understanding how each person heard all of the disciples (them) speaking his own language (like a choir), when in reality, no man (naturally) understands tongues. 1 Corinthians 14:2 is the rule that Acts 2 must be understood by. Not the other way around.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can you think of a supernatural gift of the Spirit that would allow someone to understand speaking in tongues?

Well, if you can, you are on you way to understanding how each person heard all of the disciples (them) speaking his own language (like a choir), when in reality, no man (naturally) understands tongues. 1 Corinthians 14:2 is the rule that Acts 2 must be understood by. Not the other way around.

They didn't speak in tongues. They spoke in other languages.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Tongues are languages.

Neither ability of speaking in tongues (Mark 16 or 1 Cor. 12) is understood by man. They can only be understood by the supernatural gift of interpretation of tongues. God gave that gift to the devout Jews. That is how they understood in their own languages.

If you read my thread about the gifts of the spirit, an exposition of 1 Corinthians 12 you will find that tongues are not languages.

Reactions: Helen

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No one is saying tongues are not a language. Of course it is language. God created all languages. But when spoken, no man understands it. 1 Corinthians 14:2 is the rule.

I Cor 14:2 is only the rule if you are using what is generally known as your prayer language. As it says "If you speak languages that others don't know, God will understand what you are saying, though no one else will know what you mean. You will be talking about mysteries that only the Spirit understands."

This is not what happened on the day of Pentecost because the hearers knew what was being said. Apart from the fact that the word Tongues in the heading is spelt wrong.

Reactions: Helen

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They didn't speak in tongues. They spoke in other languages.

What do you believe tongues are anyway? Gibberish? No, other languages. But no languages understood on the Day of Pentecost. That is where you are reading the story incorrectly.

The disciples were not SPEAKING their language
The devout Jews each HEARD their language.

Not only was the speaking supernatural, but the HEARING also. It is called interpretation of tongues.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read my thread about the gifts of the spirit, an exposition of 1 Corinthians 12 you will find that tongues are not languages.

I didn't, but I know the difference between Mark 16 and 1 Cor. 12. and that is only direction.

Mark 16 - TO God. (prayer or praise for use of the individual)
1 Cor. 12 - FROM God. (messages for the profit of all requiring interpretation)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Cor 14:2 is only the rule if you are using what is generally known as your prayer language. As it says "If you speak languages that others don't know, God will understand what you are saying, though no one else will know what you mean. You will be talking about mysteries that only the Spirit understands."

This is not what happened on the day of Pentecost because the hearers knew what was being said. Apart from the fact that the word Tongues in the heading is spelt wrong.

The gift of interpretation of tongues has been used by the Holy Spirit to draw unbelievers. It is not required for our prayer language, but Paul says to pray for the gift of interpretation anyway. The Messages from God must always be interpreted, but though our prayer language is not required to be interpreted, the gift of interpretation can interpret either direction of tongues.

Thank you for the heads up about the title. I corrected it. BTW spelt should be spelled. LOL

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The gift of interpretation of tongues has been used by the Holy Spirit to draw unbelievers. It is not required for our prayer language, but Paul says to pray for the gift of interpretation anyway. The Messages from God must always be interpreted, but though our prayer language is not required to be interpreted, the gift of interpretation can interpret either direction of tongues.

Thank you for the heads up about the title. I corrected it. BTW spelt should be spelled. LOL

In my language, it is spelt. I am not American.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I didn't, but I know the difference between Mark 16 and 1 Cor. 12. and that is only direction.

Mark 16 - TO God. (prayer or praise for use of the individual)
1 Cor. 12 - FROM God. (messages for the profit of all requiring interpretation)

Mark 16 and 1 Cor 12 have the same root Greek word so they are one and the same. Tongues that are languages that need interpretation.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What do you believe tongues are anyway? Gibberish? No, other languages. But no languages understood on the Day of Pentecost. That is where you are reading the story incorrectly.

Not only was the speaking supernatural, but the HEARING also. It is called interpretation of tongues.

You like to think that I am reading the story incorrectly as that will substantiate what you are saying. But the fact of the matter is I am a teacher in the body of Christ who has been taught by teachers in the body of Christ of some repute and for 10 years was part of a fellowship where tongues as a prayer language was practiced and languages as in not knowing the language you are speaking and needing interpretation was par for the course.

But I do realise that some people do have a problem with acknowledging the gift of teaching as they have to admit that person knows more than they do. I prefer to stick mainly with the Greek as that is the most accurate of interpretations. As in all my studies, I start with the word and then branch out with what others have written. In my study of this subject, I have read over 50 books. So I do think I know what I am talking about. Plus I am not a woman trying to teach men which as you know is forbidden in scripture. If you don't you should.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

As I have already explained and which is adequately explained in my thread on the Gifts of the Spirit that tongues is a prayer language given to believers to speak to God. Languages are unlearnt by the speaker that needs an interpretation.

As the scripture does not give any fine detail of what happened on the day of Pentecost, your thought is just conjecture. Did the disciples speak in unlearned languages so that the crowd could hear the message in their own tongues OR did they speak in Aramaic and the Spirit translated it into the tongues of those who were listening?

We don't know because it does not say, only that they heard the message in their own language and they were surprised because the disciples were Galileans, which was significant because Galileans were not known as scholars or linguists. The chances are that the disciples spoke in Aramaic because there was only 12 of them and insufficient in number to speak all of the languages present and the Holy Spirit gave the interpretation to the crowd in their own language bearing in mind 3,000 were baptised that day so we can only conjecture how many languages were present in totality.

This is conjecture but I believe that it happened this way because God wanted to show that he was establishing the church with the supernatural. What happened made sure that was the case.