Tongues of fire?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
there’s no Azusa or Protestant reformation or great awakening or revival or tent camp meeting or Sunday school in scripture

The scripture says to go into all the world and make disciples. The Sunday School movement sprang up to give children who did not go to school during the week, the chance to learn how to read and write. The text book used was the Bible and as a result thousands of children came to know Jesus and gave their lives to him.

The scriptures does not tell you how to make disciples, but those who were behind the Sunday School movement saw an opportunity to make disciples of thousands of children and it paid off handsomely.

Reactions: amadeus

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In typical Catholic fashion you simply deny powerful eyewitness testimony of outpourings of God's power because this testimony threatens the relative impoverishment of your own limited spiritual experience. I'm grateful that other Catholic site members are not as spiritually bigoted and myopic as you are!

One thing I have learnt on this forum is that so many who write here who have no expereince of what they write about know more than those who do have expereince of what they write about.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
what is significant about the speaking in tongues? (foreign languages)

Having heard it happen, the significance of speaking in another language is that the person who hears the gospel in their own language in a foreign environment are convinced about the message of the gospel. In my case, the person who heard the word said that it had been spoken in perfect Cantonese and that was from a person who did not know the first word of Cantonese.

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture says to go into all the world and make disciples. The Sunday School movement sprang up to give children who did not go to school during the week, the chance to learn how to read and write. The text book used was the Bible and as a result thousands of children came to know Jesus and gave their lives to him.

The scriptures does not tell you how to make disciples, but those who were behind the Sunday School movement saw an opportunity to make disciples of thousands of children and it paid off handsomely.

may be good but not biblical or Christian

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:30
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speakwith tongues? NO!

stop forcing you’re Pentecostal works on us
I do not believe anyone is forcing anything on you. Are you forcing Catholic things on other people who do not believe they are correct?

Not all believers as I see it have been given a gift of tongues from God, but many have. Because there are also false tongues, that is tongues which are really counterfeits of God's gift do not put every tongue talker in that basket.

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I Cor 14:39

Some tongue talkers may indeed be devils or be follow devilish spirits, but by generalizing speaking against all tongues talkers, what does that do for you or for anyone really listening to you?

You want people to come and embrace God's Truth, which is a good thing. None of us know all of God's Truth. That includes me and it includes you...

You are here hopefully to discuss. A real discussion is not one sided. You want people to seriously listen to you? Perhaps seriously listening to them should be part of what you do as well...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about drink of the spirit?
What if the Spirit to be drunk is His Blood that gives us Life?

"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him." John 6:53-56

Reactions: theefaith

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So bringing thousands of children to believe in God is not christian or biblical. Wow, I have never heard of that sort of condemnation before.

only baptism makes Christians Mk 16:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 3:5 Jn 4:1

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you have never driven a car?

im not a Protestant

I don’t believe in “Faith Alone” or “Bible Alone” I do apologetics on the basis of the Bible alone for your sake!

I believe the ancient faith of the apostles acts 2:42

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
im not a Protestant

I don’t believe in “Faith Alone” or “Bible Alone” I do apologetics on the basis of the Bible alone for your sake!

I believe the ancient faith of the apostles acts 2:42
So you have never driven a car or rode in a car?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why doesn't catholics get baptised. All they do is sprinkle which is not baptism.

All forms of baptism are acceptable
Immersion
Sprinkling
Pouring

as long as it’s pure water with the words I baptize you in the name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit
By an ordained minister

I suppose you only accept baptism by immersion in the Jordan river by John the Baptist????

Ez 36:25-27 I will sprinkle and its God speaking

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All forms of baptism are acceptable
Immersion
Sprinkling
Pouring

as long as it’s pure water with the words I baptize you in the name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit
By an ordained minister

I suppose you only accept baptism by immersion in the Jordan river by John the Baptist????

Ez 36:25-27 I will sprinkle and its God speaking

More catholic mumbo jumbo. Where does it say in scripture that all forms of baptism is acceptable apart from the fact there is only one form of baptism.

Where does it stay in scripture that it has to be pure water? The Ethiopian Eunuch didn't say here is PURE water so what is stopping me from being baptised.

Wy didn't the New Testament Church bapitse in the trinity?

And why is there no mention of being baptised by an ordained minister in scripture?

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All scripture is inspired
Heaven and earth may pass away but my words shall not pass away

you disagree?

I am not talking about His words. I am talking about yours, which you seem to make up as we go along.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More catholic mumbo jumbo. Where does it say in scripture that all forms of baptism is acceptable apart from the fact there is only one form of baptism.

Where does it stay in scripture that it has to be pure water? The Ethiopian Eunuch didn't say here is PURE water so what is stopping me from being baptised.

Wy didn't the New Testament Church bapitse in the trinity?

And why is there no mention of being baptised by an ordained minister in scripture?

Matt 28:19
The apostles are Ordained by Christ
In the name of the father and of the son and of the HS

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

clean or pure water
Sprinkle