Tongues of fire?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After Pentecost Paul laid hands on believers to receive the Holy Spirit and they did, and spoke with tongues - no fire.

So there was no fire even during Paul’s time, after Pentecost, when they got the gift of the Holy Spirit and tongues.

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Act 19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

BTW Paul told the church at Corinth, he didn’t want them to come behind in any CHARISMA (gift), while they awaited the coming of Jesus.

1Co 1:7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:

The word gift is charisma - you know, charisma, the word charismania - oops, you meant charismatic - comes from.

All spiritual gifts only end when Jesus comes.

tongues babbling or foreign languages for the preaching of the gospel?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:28

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:28

foreign languages
Are these not all Galilee’s how is it we hear them in our own tongues, languages

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unknown languages sound like babbling - I’ve heard foreigners in stores talking to each other that sounds like babbling.

Here’s your babbling:
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Obviously you are wrong in your assertion that there’s only one kind of tongues and that it’s always a known language.

And if tongues were always understood languages, that means that when the Corinthian church forbade speaking in tongues, which Paul told them not to do, this means they forbade speaking in any known language- which would make for a VERY quiet church service.

Paul wrote that there are diversities of tongues, meaning more than one kind.

There’s three type of tongues - one known and understood by everyone, and two unknown tongues - one never understood by anyone but God, and one that gets interpreted in church.

I did your homework for you, now you don’t have to continue mocking that which you are unlearned in, by mocking unknown tongues and calling them babbling.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All Pentecostal charismatic works are unbiblical
I would guess that depends upon what you mean by "charismatic". If you are talking about tongues, I must strongly disagree. God gave me a gift of tongues in 1976. Initially it could have been described as a baby's babble for I was a baby in Christ.

Today it is no babble but a real prayer language between me and God. When I talk to God [pray] every day, my words very quickly move into those tongues He gave me so long ago. For me to deny that would be to deny my walk with God. My daily morning times with God are essential going along with Bible reading and study. That is why I am able to make it day after day being led always by His Spirit, the Holy Spirit.

I guess you know that there are Catholics who have the same gift that I do. When went to work for Social Security at their new building in Richmond CA. several employees would meet at lunchtime for prayer together. One of the leaders was a very seriously involved Catholic. He like me, was one who prayed regularly in tongues. In spite of our differences, he being a Catholic and me being a Pentecostal we were truly brothers in Christ.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unknown languages sound like babbling - I’ve heard foreigners in stores talking to each other that sounds like babbling.

Here’s your babbling:
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Obviously you are wrong in your assertion that there’s only one kind of tongues and that it’s always a known language.

And if tongues were always understood languages, that means that when the Corinthian church forbade speaking in tongues, which Paul told them not to do, this means they forbade speaking in any known language- which would make for a VERY quiet church service.

There’s three type of tongues - one known and understood by everyone, and two unknown tongues - one never understood by anyone but God, and one that gets interpreted in church.

I did your homework for you, now you don’t have to continue mocking that which you are unlearned in, by mocking unknown tongues and calling them babbling.

never existed for over 1800 years until the Pentecostal movement’s from the burned over district

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
never existed for over 1800 years until the Pentecostal movement’s from the burned over district
Did it not? Have you been monitoring all believers for the past 2,000 years? We do live for God by faith rather than by knowledge! What is faith?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Heb 11:1

Would you be so definite that you would say that since you have not seen it and you have not heard, it therefore could not have existed or cannot exist today?

Remember also what Jesus said to Thomas:

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did it not? Have you been monitoring all believers for the past 2,000 years? We do live for God by faith rather than by knowledge! What is faith?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Heb 11:1

Would you be so definite that you would say that since you have not seen it and you have not heard, it therefore could not have existed or cannot exist today?

Remember also what Jesus said to Thomas:

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29

ive the saints from the early church and it was never taught or practiced same for “faith alone” never happened till the heretic luther

read all you can about the martyrs of the early church and you will see
Martyrs of the collesium is a good book
Can’t spell I know

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ive the saints from the early church and it was never taught or practiced same for “faith alone” never happened till the heretic luther

read all you can about the martyrs of the early church and you will see
Martyrs of the collesium is a good book
Can’t spell I know
Not a point to argue with me. I know what God has given me. I will not debate with regard to my testimony!

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a point to argue with me. I know what God has given me. I will not debate with regard to my testimony!
I worry for thee faith . His mission is always about the RCC my friend . As for me , make converts to Christ i say , not the rcc
or religion . protestant realm has gotten just as bad . Let us simply learn Christ and learn Him well . having all hope
above on HIM . We have all hope , FOR JESUS CHRIST , HE IS OUR HOPE . Praise the glorious Lord my friend .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are saved by FAITH IN CHRIST . But if that faith has not works , good fruits , yeah its dead .
James nor paul contradicted one another . Grace is how one is saved , by faith in Christ .
Let us follow the glorious Lord . Follow the Spirit , learn our bibles well .

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here’s your babbling:

And if tongues were always understood languages, that means that when the Corinthian church forbade speaking in tongues, which Paul told them not to do, that means they forbade speaking in any known language- which would make for a VERY quiet church service.

1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

That’s absolutely incorrect.

So the NT didn’t exist for 1800 years?

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here’s your babbling:

And if tongues were always understood languages, that means that when the Corinthian church forbade speaking in tongues, which Paul told them not to do, that means they forbade speaking in any known language- which would make for a VERY quiet church service.

I did yourvhom

That’s absolutely incorrect.

So the NT didn’t exist for 1800 years?

have heard of the burned over district?

or Pentecostal claims like Azusa or the so called great awakening

none of it is in the holy church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
foreign languages
Are these not all Galilee’s how is it we hear them in our own tongues, languages

I did this rare thing called reading the Bible, and discovered there are diversities of tongues, meaning more than just one kind.

1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did this rare thing called reading the Bible, and discovered there are diversities of tongues, meaning more than just one kind.

1 Corinthians 12:30
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speakwith tongues? NO!

stop forcing you’re Pentecostal works on us

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
there’s no Azusa or Protestant reformation or great awakening or revival or tent camp meeting or Sunday school in scripture

Do you own or drive a car? If you do you will have to get rid of it because it is not in scripture.