Tongues ( 'sign' gifts ) did/did not cease?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul wrote something to the church in corinthains chapter fourteen . THEN FOLLOWED IT WITH THIS
THESE are the COMMANDMENTS of the LORD .
Paul knew what was inspired for the church and the New Covenant, like 1 Corinthians 14 he called commandment of the Lord.

I just said the same. Looks like great minds..... :waves:

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think when he was writting to a congregations and instructing them, he listened. I know when I am writing even on these forums God will guide my thoughts and I'll learn something new as I'm writing. But not always, and the same with Paul. That is just part of the Office of Teacher. And He had the office of Apostle. We can't throw the word "office" around without a literal encounter with Jesus. I heard God's voice. But I also have the gift of prophecy, but He's never told me that means I have the "Office" of Prophet. I don't.

But he did teach them to not do anything that would besmirch the Church. So women couldn't cut their hair, because prostitutes cut their hair. It was what we project to the world. And a visiting Jew would be horrified to see a woman teaching.
What paul wrote to the church was put into the canon by peter and others . EVERY word applies to us today .
Women should not lead the churches . Women may prophesy but to be a pastor of the church they cannot be nor do .
Now we can put this to the test .
Give me ten examples of women who lead the church and i will show you something .
List the best ones you know . IF i know their names i will show you something .
IF not , i will examine them and then show you something .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So those letters were inspired, but even in them Paul says,, himself, as I showed you in 1 Cor. 7, that not all sections were. Paul knew what was inspired for the church and the New Covenant, like 1 Corinthians 14 he called commandment of the Lord.
I think rather that where Paul specified something as a commandment for the Lord, Paul was meaning that this was something Jesus taught when He was here teaching.

It's not that Paul is declaring parts of his letters uninspired.

Much love!

sgodblacknet

Jul 20, 2023
Alaska
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friends, this is an intriguing/interesting thought?:

Why would The LORD "reveal to Paul" that "the sign gifts would cease" before His
Second Coming, IF 'that Coming' is when "That Which Is Perfect Is Come"?

Did He Make 'an error'? Why didn't He Just Leave 'Such A Statement' out to
"prevent Much Confusion" since they will continue until He Comes anyway?
( Sure would be a LOT Less "biting and devouring" over the Massive Confusion, eh? )

Perchance He Really Meant His Pure And Preserved Word, Which He "Has Magnified
Above All His Holy Name" is Actually "That Which Is Perfect" and that "It Has Come"

and. thus "the sign gifts Have Actually Already ceased"?

What think ye?

Amen.
Errors? I don't think The LORD makes those – He's way too wise for that! ;) It's possible that the statement about the sign gifts ceasing before His Second Coming is to prepare us for the changes that come with a new phase of spiritual growth.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What paul wrote to the church was put into the canon by peter and others . EVERY word applies to us today .
Women should not lead the churches . Women may prophesy but to be a pastor of the church they cannot be nor do .
Now we can put this to the test .
Give me ten examples of women who lead the church and i will show you something .
List the best ones you know . IF i know their names i will show you something .
IF not , i will examine them and then show you something .
Aimee Semple McFerson. Kathryn Kulman

Reactions: amadeus

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think rather that where Paul specified something as a commandment for the Lord, Paul was meaning that this was something Jesus taught when He was here teaching.

Much love!
37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant. 39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Oh it was inspired . Paul writes in chapter seven and explains something that was NOT a commandment of the LORD .
And that is this . IF we examine truth we will see where they put away UNBELIEVING WIVES
But paul was not saying NOT TOO or that is wrong to do . WHAT HE SAID , HOWEVER
did have a good example in it . See if one HAS already , key word ALREADY MARRIED a wife
and lets say she is an unbeliever . Back in the day one could and actaully SHOULD put away that wife .
THEY STONED WIVES that blasphemed GOD .
BUT here is the thing . IF i were to have married a wife before I CAME TO JESUS
and of course we would both have been UNBELIEVERS , Then I COME TO JESUS but she has not .
I ought to try and win the wife to JESUS rather than to just PUT HER AWAY .
PLUS notice paul told THOSE WHO ALREADY BELIEVED , TO NOT MARRY AN UNBELIEVER .
BUT if folks were already married and the husband later comes to CHRIST , OR the wife comes to CHRIST
and the other IS STILL NOT a believer , That they should try and win the other spouse .
HOWEVER , IF the other spouse leaves , LET THEM GO . But it was not a COMMANDMENT FROM GOD
that the man must KEEP the wife . This was a specific case concering if one was already married
then cometh to CHRIST and the other has not yet come . Cause who on earth knows , WE MIGHT WIN THEM .
SO it was a case presented in HOPE . IN HOPE the other could be won .
BUT i am telling us all if we examine the law , MEN PUT AWAY unbeliving wives , wives that had committed blasphemy against GOD
were actually STONED TO DEATH under the law . SO this is why paul was wise , very wise to say it was NOT A COMMANDMENT FROM GOD .
BUT YES , YES he DID have THE SPIRIT and his opinion of this was good .
BUT in that case , PAUL DID MAKE IT VERY CLEAR this was not a commandment from GOD .
Now before anyone gets all excited , NOTICE IF TWO BELEIVE , the MAN then CANNOT PUT ASUNDER THE WIFE PEROID .
The wife must remain single or be reconciled back to her husband . and vice versa the man cannot remarry either

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But [k]if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant. 39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

SPECIAL Emphasis on: "the things which I(Apostle Paul) write are the commandments of the LORD."

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But [k]if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant. 39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

He speaks about women in that too . YES IT IS the COMMANDMENTS OF GOD .
it ALL WAS . as far as chapter seven read the above line i sent to mark .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Errors? I don't think The LORD makes those – He's way too wise for that! ;) It's possible that the statement about the sign gifts ceasing before His Second Coming is to prepare us for the changes that come with a new phase of spiritual growth.
Your statement here is a LIE and is 'antichrist' = "the sign gifts ceasing before His Second Coming"

Turn away from lying and turn back to the Truth = Proverbs 30-5-6 and John ch17 and Acts and 1 Corinthians

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SPECIAL Emphasis on: "the things which I(Apostle Paul) write are the commandments of the LORD."
special emphasis also on this , WOMEN cannot lead nor ursurp authority over the man .
This is a very touch subject , i know this . But paul did not allow women to even teach or usrurp authority over the man .
Women pastors . I challenge you and everyone here to bring me who they THINK is a good female pastor .
And if i know the person i will easily show you THEY BE FALSE . I have never seen any woman lead any church
that did not teach ERROR . not to mention and that is a fact . HOWEVER i have seen only a few MEN even who teach
the pure and holy truth EITHER anymore .
I give everyone here a chance to prove me wrong . BRING ME YOUR FAVORITE and best WOMAN pastor .
DO IT . And watch .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your statement here is a LIE and is 'antichrist' = "the sign gifts ceasing before His Second Coming"

Turn away from lying and turn back to the Truth = Proverbs 30-5-6 and John ch17 and Acts and 1 Corinthians
STAND FOR THE TRUTH TILL THE LAST BREATH MY FRIEND . TILL the last and final breath .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
STAND FOR THE TRUTH TILL THE LAST BREATH MY FRIEND . TILL the last and final breath .
ALL of us are commanded to only believe TRUTH = "Thy word is Truth"

1 John 2:18 = "no lie is of the Truth"

1 Corinthians 13:4-6 = "Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
bears all things, believes all things(spoken by God), hopes all things, endures all things.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ALL of us are commanded to only believe TRUTH = "Thy word is Truth"

1 John 2:18 = "no lie is of the Truth"

1 Corinthians 13:4-6 = "Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
bears all things, believes all things(spoken by God), hopes all things, endures all things.
LET THE KING be praised . That is right my friend . Rather odd though , many even within christendom
have fallen in love with a love that DONT REJOICE IN THE TRUTH but rather seems to be rejoicing in a lie and in inquity .
THUS we know it aint no LOVE FROM GOD they be rejoicing in .
LOVE ACTUALLY REJOICES IN THE TRUTH . IT DONT SHUN the TRUTH , it dont make void the truth . IT REJOICES IN THE TRUTH .
And now a word . THY WORD IS TRUTH . Every WORD of the LORD is lovely and pure and wonderful to the heart of a lamb .
AND IT REJOICES OUR HEARTS and we REJOICE IN IT . WE REJOICE IN OUR LORD , WE REJOICE IN HIS TEACHINGS
we JUST REJIOCE IN THE TRUTH . WE LOVE those bibles too . LOADED WITH GOD INSPIRED TRUTH IT IS .
AND LOVE REJOICES IN TRUTH . so why do many LOVE TO KICK ASIDE TRUTH . WE GOT A HUGE PROBLEM MY FRIEND .
ME THINKS , or i should say I KNOW , SATAN CAN USE THE WORD LOVE , BUT TWISTS IT INTO SOMETHING ELSE .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LET THE KING be praised . That is right my friend . Rather odd though , many even within christendom
have fallen in love with a love that DONT REJOICE IN THE TRUTH but rather seems to be rejoicing in a lie and in inquity .
THUS we know it aint no LOVE FROM GOD they be rejoicing in .
LOVE ACTUALLY REJOICES IN THE TRUTH . IT DONT SHUN the TRUTH , it dont make void the truth . IT REJOICES IN THE TRUTH .
And now a word . THY WORD IS TRUTH . Every WORD of the LORD is lovely and pure and wonderful to the heart of a lamb .
AND IT REJOICES OUR HEARTS and we REJOICE IN IT . WE REJOICE IN OUR LORD , WE REJOICE IN HIS TEACHINGS
we JUST REJIOCE IN THE TRUTH . WE LOVE those bibles too . LOADED WITH GOD INSPIRED TRUTH IT IS .
AND LOVE REJOICES IN TRUTH . so why do many LOVE TO KICK ASIDE TRUTH . WE GOT A HUGE PROBLEM MY FRIEND .
ME THINKS , or i should say I KNOW , SATAN CAN USE THE WORD LOVE , BUT TWISTS IT INTO SOMETHING ELSE .
The Problem of Today is = wanna-be apostles are everywhere, speaking on their own accord

James 3:1 - "My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment."

James 3:1 Amplified Bible - Not many [of you] should become teachers [serving in an official teaching capacity], my brothers and sisters, for you know that we [who are teachers] will be judged by a higher standard [because we have assumed greater accountability and more condemnation if we teach incorrectly].

• Love

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And don't forget, Peter called Paul's writings Scripture. I think those were the letters to the congregations. So those letters were inspired, but even in them Paul says,, himself, as I showed you in 1 Cor. 7, that not all sections were. Paul knew what was inspired for the church and the New Covenant, like 1 Corinthians 14 he called commandment of the Lord. 34 and 35 has evidence they were added by someone else as they break up a thought on prophets. Read it without those and you'll see what I mean.
The same could be said of Peter - he was a human being, like you and me, but he didn't consider his own words to be holy.