• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus himself observe any traditions?

Mark 7:9 - He said to them, “Full well do you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.

I think it’s clear that whatever Jesus says is the word of God and any tradition that contradicts the word of God is not allowed. I just had a debate with my very Catholic sister about the acceptance of tradition in the church. John 5:24 negates the need for working for salvation and tradition is work. The Eucharist requires the priest to work to change the wafer and wine. Confession requires work from both the priest and from those confessing. As soon as you accept tradition in the church you are on a slippery slope so I don’t think it’s necessary and I would say that tradition and the church are like oil and water. Follow scripture!!! Salvation is a beautiful gift, so why add work?

Reactions: Cassandra

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Mark 7:9 - He said to them, “Full well do you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.

I think it’s clear that whatever Jesus says is the word of God and any tradition that contradicts the word of God is not allowed.

It doesn’t sound like tradition in general is the issue but, rather, tradition which specifically contradicts scripture.

I just had a debate with my very Catholic sister about the acceptance of tradition in the church. John 5:24 negates the need for working for salvation and tradition is work. The Eucharist requires the priest to work to change the wafer and wine. Confession requires work from both the priest and from those confessing. As soon as you accept tradition in the church you are on a slippery slope so I don’t think it’s necessary and I would say that tradition and the church are like oil and water. Follow scripture!!! Salvation is a beautiful gift, so why add work?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Will I be kicked off again or are there interested Christians and seekers of the truth willing to have a logical and facts based discussion on my results that counter “commonly accepted theology” or CAT?

Christianity Board has a “commonly accepted theology”. If you speak against it you will run into trouble. Members have had posts and threads deleted which “counter” the CAT. Some members have been “kicked off,” and some have simply decided to leave on their own accord. I’ve taken an extreme but middle ground approach which doesn’t violate the rules or my conscience in order to remain.

If you aren’t aware of the Board’s CAT then I would encourage you to become familiar with it. You may read it by following the link:

Thread 'Christianity Board Statement of Faith'
Christianity Board Statement of Faith

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Growing up, my daughter attended a church youth group which ended every meeting with a tradition. The leader of the group led the children in reciting Numbers 6:24-25.

”May the LORD bless you and protect you.
May the LORD smile on you and be gracious to you.”

Problem or not a problem with this particular youth group’s tradition?
We know that Numbers is the word of God and this is a beautiful verse of scripture that our church also recited. Tradition are the words of men added to scripture.

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity Board has a “commonly accepted theology”. If you speak against it you will run into trouble. Members have had posts and threads deleted which “counter” the CAT. Some members have been “kicked off,” and some have simply decided to leave on their own accord. I’ve taken an extreme but middle ground approach which doesn’t violate the rules or my conscience in order to remain.

If you aren’t aware of the Board’s CAT then I would encourage you to become familiar with it. You may read it by following the link:

Thread 'Christianity Board Statement of Faith'
Christianity Board Statement of Faith
I have already been kicked off three other forums because CATS is not scripture and certain people were offended. I understand it’s a sensitive subject, but are we to follow the words of men and women or the Word of God? I am enjoying the conversation here so I hope to stay active, but I will never add to or delete from scripture. In addition, if someone has tradition they hold on to, I think it's worthy of a scriptural discussion without any name calling or emotional responses.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.” (NASB)
They didn't have Xerox copiers to distribute the word and, even if they were given them, how many people were literate?

The problem with some "traditions" is that they are NOWHERE to be found in the scriptures and in many cases they actually contradict the scriptures.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I have already been kicked off three other forums because CATS is not scripture and certain people were offended. I understand it’s a sensitive subject, but are we to follow the words of men and women or the Word of God? I am enjoying the conversation here so I hope to stay active, but I will never add to or delete from scripture. In addition, if someone has tradition they hold on to, I think it's worthy of a scriptural discussion without any name calling or emotional responses.

Here’s my attitude concerning Internet forums: I’m a guest in someone else’s house.

The owner of this house (Christianity Board) has made it abundantly clear that something (i.e. the owner’s CAT) must not be discussed.

The owner made the decision because some guests in the owner’s house - including those who share the owner’s CAT as well as those who don’t - weren’t able to refrain from name calling and / or making unacceptable emotional responses.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already been kicked off three other forums...

Thankfully, management here is very tolerant and permits people to freely discuss their beliefs. I think the only thing that's banned is claiming that the Trinity is false, is that right @Nancy?

I only recently heard of a message board called "The Rapture Forum" (or something like that) and when I read the rules it was apparent that the only people that can post are those that parrot the views of the owner. His list of rules was very comical to me, actually, and I had a nice laugh and then went on my way.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
They didn't have Xerox copiers to distribute the word and, even if they were given them, how many people were literate?

The problem with some "traditions" is that they are NOWHERE to be found in the scriptures and in many cases they actually contradict the scriptures.

Agreed.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So this is too much for God to handle? Jesus came at just the right decreed time because writing and copying were in place. We know John wrote, therefore his brother James also wrote. We know Paul and Silas could write. Where do we learn that those who wrote scripture couldn’t write nor copy the letters and Word of God?

Is anyone able to specify one piece of tradition that has added value to scripture?

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all seek the truth and my stupidity have shown that the truth is Jesus. Based on seeking the truth, nobody on this forum including the regulators should be fearful of honest and thoughtful debate on CATS. Thus far, I have found the forum administrators to be very kind and welcoming.

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all seek the truth and my stupidity have shown that the truth is Jesus. Based on seeking the truth, nobody on this forum including the regulators should be fearful of honest and thoughtful debate on CATS. Thus far, I have found the forum administrators to be very kind and welcoming.
I love it, my spell check recognizes my stupidity…lol. Studies…

• Haha
Reactions: Matthias

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks ScottA, most in the church do not realize just how deep tradition has infested the word. It seems like you do. Blessings!!
While I agree with you, this is rather harsh categorization of tradition. For most of history, people did not have access to the Scriptures to read it for themselves. The Apostles changed the world even though the influenced people without even having the New Testament.

Even though most people have access to Scriptures today, they still don't read it. During Christ's lifetime - as today - people are exposed to God's word by hearing it.

I believe it is in this vacuum that traditions began - with well meaning people who lacked access to the authoritative divine word. Blessed are we to know God's word! Amen?

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think Jesus, the apostles or the early church condemned all traditions, nor even the concept of tradition.
So, would He condemn the religious 'tradition' of today that claims their 'oral tradition' is Equal
'in authority' to:

God's Pure And Preserved Word, Which He 'Placed' Higher Than All Of His Holy Name?

Just checking...