Training people to be prophets?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophecy is supposed to be a gift of the Spirit--can't train for it.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Prophecy is supposed to be a gift of the Spirit--can't train for it.

That’s my position too.

There were schools of prophets in OT times. They were schools comprised of prophets, not people paying someone to train them how to be prophets.

There are prophets in the New Testament. Nothing is said about them being persons who paid someone to train them on how to be prophets.

Simon Magus may not be an exact parallel but he is an example of someone willing to pay for the ability to lay hands on people.

The irony of a false prophet offering to train people how to be prophets for a price shouldn’t be lost on us.

The false prophet is taking advantage of the gullible and undiscerning, which is a common trait of false prophets.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve personally never met someone who expressed a desire to be a prophet, let alone someone who was willing to pay someone in order to be one.

I’m currently reading the prophets in my daily Bible reading. It’s striking how difficult their lives were and how, often, they lamented, even protested against, what God called them to do.

Reactions: Cassandra