Translating Bible Names

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes very true...but there is also a video showing the 'bad line' from Adam..and it's all there too!! Quite amazing...and obviously not by accident but by divine hand.
But the video is longer ..and because I don't like watching video's when on a Site ......I only ever post VERY SHORT ones no longer than 10 mins if possible.

Many of us don't even follow links, let alone video's. ( well I don't! Ha!)
"Yes very true...but there is also a video showing the 'bad line' from Adam"

I wonder if you would mind sending that video to me in mail my friend? :)

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Yes very true...but there is also a video showing the 'bad line' from Adam"

I wonder if you would mind sending that video to me in mail my friend? :)

Okay, I will dig it out for you. If I forget...give me a nudge okay? :)

Reactions: Nancy

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
anyone fam with the translating of Bible names in the genealogies to make sentences?

Well being you asked, This is something that I learned quite some time back, you may find it interesting!
John the Baptist was the son of Zacharias, who was a Kohen Priest, of the Order of Abijah, which is the 8th order of the 24 orders described in 1st Chronicles 24: starting at verse 7-19, OK!
the 9th Order was to Jeshua, So if you take the meaning of Abijah = Worshiper of Him, and add the meaning of Joshua = He will Save, you can some up these two Names as Worshiper of Him, He will save! or Worshiper of He who will Save!!
In my NKJV in Hebrews 4:8 they place the Name Joshua, in place of Jesus with a 1 by it and in the Margin they declare that the Greek Jesus is the same as the Hebrew Joshua. Now go to Matthew 1: 21 - And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His Name Jesus [ Joshua ] for He will Save His People! from their sins. Now there is a 1 by the name Jesus in this verse also, and the Margin declares LIT. Savior!
Hope it is interesting!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well being you asked, This is something that I learned quite some time back, you may find it interesting!
John the Baptist was the son of Zacharias, who was a Kohen Priest, of the Order of Abijah, which is the 8th order of the 24 orders described in 1st Chronicles 24: starting at verse 7-19, OK!
the 9th Order was to Jeshua, So if you take the meaning of Abijah = Worshiper of Him, and add the meaning of Joshua = He will Save, you can some up these two Names as Worshiper of Him, He will save! or Worshiper of He who will Save!!
In my NKJV in Hebrews 4:8 they place the Name Joshua, in place of Jesus with a 1 by it and in the Margin they declare that the Greek Jesus is the same as the Hebrew Joshua. Now go to Matthew 1: 21 - And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His Name Jesus [ Joshua ] for He will Save His People! from their sins. Now there is a 1 by the name Jesus in this verse also, and the Margin declares LIT. Savior!

Hope it is interesting!

Very! Ty for sharing this. I see you have a passion for genealogies...and to think that I found them tedious and boring all these years...loving this board!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well @Nancy I have been looking...and I can't find it right now..I can't remember where it is. nor who preached it! :(
Now I am annoyed, I wish I could find it.
If we look at the names from Adam to Noah...then look at the names from Cain to Noah's time...they are so subtly similar in spelling, counterfeit ...but they have different meanings obviously ...negative.

Descendants of Cain.
Enoch
Irad
Mehujael
Methushael
Lamech
Jubal/Tubal-Cain

Well this post has been sitting here for 15 mins since I first wrote it...I have been hunting...I still can't find it...which hasn't improved my frame of mind!
I am annoyed, because it was very good indeed.
CryingSmiley.gif

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well @Nancy I have been looking...and I can't find it right now..I can't remember where it is. nor who preached it! :(
Now I am annoyed, I wish I could find it.
If we look at the names from Adam to Noah...then look at the names from Cain to Noah's time...they are so subtly similar in spelling, counterfeit ...but they have different meanings obviously ...negative.

Descendants of Cain.
Enoch
Irad
Mehujael
Methushael
Lamech
Jubal/Tubal-Cain

Well this post has been sitting here for 15 mins since I first wrote it...I have been hunting...I still can't find it...which hasn't improved my frame of mind!
I am annoyed, because it was very good indeed.
View attachment 2960
Lol Helen, Thanks for the list, this will give me something constructive to do, and get me into the word even more! Check your inbox...I found one from Adam to Jesus!

Reactions: Mayflower and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lol Helen, Thanks for the list, this will give me something constructive to do, and get me into the word even more! Check your inbox...I found one from Adam to Jesus!

You'll find the linage of Cain in Gen 4:17- 5:32 :)

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are a few names to consider-----

(Gen 5:28 KJV) And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:

(Gen 5:29 KJV) And he called his name Noah

(Gen 5:32 KJV) And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem

(Gen 10:21 KJV) Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber

(Gen 10:25 KJV) And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg;

(Gen 11:18 KJV) And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu:

(Gen 11:20 KJV) And Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug:

(Gen 11:22 KJV) And Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor:

(Gen 22:20 KJV) And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also born children unto thy brother Nahor;

(Gen 22:21 KJV) Huz his firstborn, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram,

(Gen 22:22 KJV) And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel.

(Gen 22:23 KJV) And Bethuel begat Rebekah

(Gen 24:29 KJV) And Rebekah had a brother, and his name was Laban.

(Gen 29:16 KJV) And Laban had two daughters.,.and the name of the younger was Rachel

(Gen 30:25 KJV) And it came to pass, when Rachel had born Joseph.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything God speaks in the bible is meaningful.
It has the obvious and then there is the hidden which must be searched out.

Here is just TWO Minutes to the second...so very short.
The sentence in the meaning of names from Adam to Noah... every persons name carried a prophetic message.

WOW!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[This is a short study I originally did many few years ago. I reworked it more recently when I was unable to find the original. I do not believe I have posted it before on this forum but it seems to fit on this thread:]

Jacob versus Israel

Quite a long time ago now it caught my attention that after Jacob received his new name of Israel, much of the time in scripture he was still addressed by Jacob. So I decided to count the number of Jacobs and the number of Israels in scripture. It amazed me that in spite of the change by God, the use of Jacob in the book of Genesis while he still lived was greater than the use of his new name of Israel. I did a quick search in my computer which has tons of my writings and studies over the years, but was unable to find my early results. So I counted them again using both my computer and my hardback Strong's. [The computer only is able in my program to provide a chapter total: no partial chapters.]

Jacob was first mentioned in Gen 25:26. Jacob was last mentioned in Gen 50:24.
Israel was first mentioned in Gen 32:28. Israel was last mentioned in Gen 50:25

The word Jacob was used 181 times in the whole Book of Genesis.
The word Jacob was used 70 times in Gen 32:28 to 50:26 when the other name had also been given.
The word Israel was used 40 times in Gen 32:28 to 50:26.

The word Jacob was used 196 times from Exodus to Revelation.
The word Israel was used 2533 times from Exodus to Revelation.

The word Jacob was used 377 times in the whole Bible.
The word Israel was used 2576 times in the whole Bible.

The reason I separated Genesis from the rest of the Bible in my counts is of course that the man, Jacob/Israel died in the Book of Genesis.

It had occurred to me the first time as it does now that in spite of a glorious reason for giving the new name the old name was used so much more while the man still lived.

Could it be that God realized that the man in spite of a promise of things to come was still so much in his old nature rather than the new throughout most of his life even after receiving the new name? Thus in the inspiration given to the writers, Jacob still was dominant while he drew natural breath, at least until toward the end. Only after his death did the name of Israel prevail so heavily against Jacob and then most of the time it was referring to a nation rather than a single man.