Trinity vs. Tritheism: Understanding the Trinity.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll give you an overview of the historic doctrine. See if you agree with this.

the doctrine of the Trinity can be summarized in seven statements. (1) There is only one God. (2) The Father is God. (3) The Son is God. (4) The Holy Spirit is God. (5) The Father is not the Son. (6) The Son is the not the Holy Spirit. (7) The Holy Spirit is not the Father.
Measure your statements above with the scriptural messages that I gave in posts #1-#4.

shortcut: Trinity II

I am not going to keep going in circles with you. You are not the Spanish inquisition.

Reactions: Taken
D

Dave L

that's your ERROR, what was begotten is flesh and not spirit.

second, the Father never became the Son, but shared himself in the flesh and wore the title "Son".

see dave, you have no clue to diversity.

and as the shared spirit in flesh and blood which is the Life of the flesh, that blood (LIFE) is what he gave.

this is basic bible study, you should had know that dave.

PICJAG.
The Son is eternally begotten of the Father. God in trinity became flesh in the incarnation.

D

Dave L

No worries. :)
They believe what they believe...by 'downing them' we try to exalt ourself as 'the perfect'.
People like Dave forget that when the chips are down...and our back is against the wall...we all taste just the same..."The Lions" wont be fussy. They are still a part of God's Church.
I never care what label anyone tries to put on me.
God hates all labels.

be blessed....H
Were the Pharisees and the the disciples all the same church? Where do you draw the line?

D

Dave L

So, you are saying that Jesus is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost...
Jesus Christ is the NT version of YAHWEH = God = Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as distinct persons each simultaneously present in the Godhead eternally.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is the NT version of YAHWEH = God = Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as distinct persons each simultaneously present in the Godhead eternally.
So, you seem to be saying that Jesus is three Persons in His singular body...kind of like someone with a mental illness called triphenia...or, MPD.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

So, you seem to be saying that Jesus is three Persons...
Jesus is God eternally manifested in three distinct persons. Who took on human nature and spoke in the person of the eternal Son of God at times, and as a man at times.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.” (Colossians 2:9) (KJV 1900)
So you're saying that Jesus is possessed by three Spirits: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost; am I correct in this assessment?

D

Dave L

So you're saying that Jesus is possessed by three Spirits: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost; am I correct in this assessment?
Yes. God is the Father (cause) of the Son (eternally begotten) who together generate the Holy Spirit. This is apart from time in eternity, without beginning or end and unchangeable being perfect.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Jesus is God eternally manifested in three distinct persons. Who took on human nature and spoke in the person of the eternal Son of God at times, and as a man at times.
I do struggle with the idea that the Lord Jesus supposedly did some things as the Son of God and other things as the Son of Man; a wonder of the Incarnation (John 1.14; 1 Timothy 3.16) is the perfect union of the two natures.

Reactions: Dave L

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were the Pharisees and the the disciples all the same church? Where do you draw the line?

The Pharisees were Jews of Jewish Temples.

The Disciples were Jews becoming members of Christ's Church.

The Line is between Jews of Jewish Temples who believe in God.

AND

Converts who may be Jewish or Gentile who believe in God, in Christ Jesus and become members of Christ's Church.

Not difficult.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. God is the Father (cause) of the Son (eternally begotten) who together generate the Holy Spirit. This is apart from time in eternity, without beginning or end and unchangeable being perfect.
The problem with this is that scripture teaches us that there is one Spirit:

Eph 4:4, There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

But now I will say that I desire to believe that the Son is eternally begotten. Is there scripture to make that case? If so, what is it?

For I believe that the Son is truly self-existent as a 2nd Person dwelling in eternity; but that He was begotten in the incarnation and not by some kind of eternal mirror. The following scriptures testify to this.

Mat 1:18, Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Mat 1:19, Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
Mat 1:20, But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Luk 1:35, And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

I believe that God (a single Person) descended out of eternity into time; and that after accomplishing redemption, He ascended back into eternity in human form. Also at His death He released his Spirit back into eternity (outside of time). So there are three Persons dwelling in eternity, who are all ONE.

If you have scripture that will refute the scripture that I have laid forth to declare that Jesus was begotten in the incarnation; and/or scripture that declares the eternal generation of the Son, then I most assuredly do not want to continue on in the darkness of believing what I believe; if it indeed be darkness.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

The problem with this is that scripture teaches us that there is one Spirit:

Eph 4:4, There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

But now I will say that I desire to believe that the Son is eternally begotten. Is there scripture to make that case? If so, what is it?

For I believe that the Son is truly self-existent as a 2nd Person dwelling in eternity; but that He was begotten in the incarnation and not by some kind of eternal mirror. The following scriptures testify to this.

Mat 1:18, Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Mat 1:19, Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
Mat 1:20, But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Luk 1:35, And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

I believe that God (a single Person) descended out of eternity into time; and that after accomplishing redemption, He ascended back into eternity in human form. Also at His death He released his Spirit into eternity (outside of time). So there are three Persons dwelling in eternity, who are all ONE.

If you have scripture that will refute the scripture that I have laid forth to declare that Jesus was begotten in the incarnation; and/or scripture that declares the eternal generation of the Son, then I most assuredly do not want to continue on in the darkness of believing what I believe; if it indeed be darkness.
God is one Spirit with three persons. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Spiritual essence of God has no beginning or end and continues in all directions forever. The Holy Spirit is one of the Persons in the Spiritual essence of God who along with the Father and the Son created the universe and all that it contains.

D

Dave L

The Pharisees were Jews of Jewish Temples.

The Disciples were Jews becoming members of Christ's Church.

The Line is between Jews of Jewish Temples who believe in God.

AND

Converts who may be Jewish or Gentile who believe in God, in Christ Jesus and become members of Christ's Church.

Not difficult.
The Pharisees worshiped an idol they called YAHWEH. But when YAHWEH stood in their presence they hated and killed him. The name Jesus Christ is the New Covenant equivalent of YAHWEH. The Pharisees were monotheistic (oneness) and the disciples were trinitarian. So these were not members of the same body nor did they worship the same God. All of John's writings are trinitarian. And Luke shows the Holy Spirit as a distinct person called God in Acts. It's all there if you want to see it.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Scripture that says what you say?

Luke "shows" the HS as a "person".

Cant' find "what you said is in Scripture"...

Quote the Scriptures....

And
Thanks for considering this. First; JESUS IS JEHOVAH (YAHWEH).

Isa 40:3 The voice of one who calls out, “Prepare the way of Yahwah in the wilderness! Make a level highway in the desert for our God.

Now compare that to:

Mat 3:3 For this is he who was spoken of by Isaiah the prophet, saying, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness, make ready the way of the Lord. Make his paths straight.”

John was preaching Jesus, the Old Testament Yahwah according to Isaiah 40:3.

Again:

Num 21:5 The people spoke against God, and against Moses, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no bread, and there is no water; and our soul loathes this disgusting bread.”
6 Yahweh sent venomous snakes among the people, and they bit the people. Many people of Israel died.

Compare to:

1Cor 10:9 Let’s not test Christ, as some of them tested, and perished by the serpents.

And, again:

Gen 2:4 This is the history of the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that Yahweh God made the earth and the heavens.

John 1:3 All things were made through him. Without him was not anything made that has been made.

There it is, three times. The Old Testament says Yahwah did it, the New Testament says Jesus did it.

The only logical conclusion is to see that Jesus is Yahwah and Yahwah is Jesus.

I have more on this if interested.

“As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.” (Acts 13:2) (KJV 1900)

“Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.” (Acts 16:6–7) (KJV 1900)

“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.” (John 16:13) (KJV 1900)