True Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josant7

Jul 7, 2011
Is there such a thing as a "true christian"? Can going to church, going to a bible study, or wearing a cross make you a true christian. The obvious answer is no. I can honestly say that I'm not a true christian. A christian in belief and on paper but still working on being a pretty good christian. Are you a true christian? If so, what have you done to be a true christian?

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Is there such a thing as a "true christian"? Can going to church, going to a bible study, or wearing a cross make you a true christian. The obvious answer is no. I can honestly say that I'm not a true christian. A christian in belief and on paper but still working on being a pretty good christian. Are you a true christian? If so, what have you done to be a true christian?

You first need to define what you believe a "true" Christian is, or even give your idea of what it is to be a Christian.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Love your honesty, Josant.

It's true, one is not Christian because of beliefs and because of what they claim. We are Christian when we walk in the life of Christ, therefore fulfilling his righteousness.

How? We come to God in humility, admitting our blindness and asking him to reveal his life to us. Christ makes all things new, and when Christ is born in us, we then can walk in that new life and new creation. Walking according to that makes one a christian.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe we need a handguide, Rulebook or owner's manual or something.

Oh, wait......

ron

Aug 15, 2011
A true Christian is an apprentice of Love. A true Christian is in a deep relationship with the Master.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia

A true Christian follows Jesus. His manual is the Bible.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my (Jesus) commandments.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I'd say that a 'true' Christian is one who believes in Jesus, is redeemed and has the Holy Spirit as evidence of this salvation.
A 'good' Christian however, is something of a life times journey, stemming from a real desire to grow in Christ. That would be opposed to those who are saved, but just sit back with a 'Jesus' got it' attitude.
And I think within the category of 'good' Christian, we should also acknowledge both mature Christians, and immature. Not necessarily by how long they've been saved, but by their walk with God. Some strive daily to walk with Him, others get swallowed up in day to day life.

Reactions: aspen

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Did you mean to say Jesus/God?

Uhm. I suppose. The Bible teaches that whoever has faith/believes in Jesus is saved. But of course Jesus is a part of the Trinity, and as such anyone who believes in Jesus must also acknowledge/worship God the Father as well.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
I think you are a true Christian Josant, that is if you believe on The Father through His Son Jesus Christ as written. Otherwise you would not have had the humility to admit that you didn't really feel that you are a true Christian. A true Christian is always in a state of striving to follow Christ, not that we can ever become our own Christ, but in following what He said for us to do in our daily lives.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I'd say that a 'true' Christian is one who believes in Jesus, is redeemed and has the Holy Spirit as evidence of this salvation.
A 'good' Christian however, is something of a life times journey, stemming from a real desire to grow in Christ. That would be opposed to those who are saved, but just sit back with a 'Jesus' got it' attitude.
And I think within the category of 'good' Christian, we should also acknowledge both mature Christians, and immature. Not necessarily by how long they've been saved, but by their walk with God. Some strive daily to walk with Him, others get swallowed up in day to day life.

Yes! You said it!

This modern Christianity that says 'Jesus got it' (to say we need to do nothing) is not simply off, but it goes directly against the message of Jesus Christ.

We've come to say 'to whoever much is given, nothing is expected'.

Modern 'churchianity' is often diametrically opposed to the message of Christ.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I agree Prentis! Grace is amazing, covering all our sins. But I cannot fathom those who don't even attempt to live a Christian life, just out of gratitude to Jesus. To a gift so great, shouldn't we respond with thanks and not indifference? Yes Jesus has 'got it', but if we don't recognise the massive price He paid for us, then we are just disrespecting Him and the work on the cross.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE----DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)