True Repentance:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes John...agree, only God knows.
But how on earth do you reconcile the work of the cross and then say there is a sin which cannot be forgiven!! :eek:
That is an oxymoron to me.
Nothing is impossible with God.
Do you want to tell me how you believe it?
But don't worry if you don't wish to get into it...I know we have done this on this forum and on others :)
No worries. We can 'wait and see' ...

Bless you...H x
If I were unable to give you an answer according to scripture you might be correct, but I can. That does not make me right. It simply makes it a possibility as I see it.

Men have taken God's very good creation and using the possibilities allowed have introduced sin. Can they not also introduce a sin that God will not forgive? If there were no curses in scripture, then you also might be right, but there are curses and, is not death one of them? Is there not a death that never ends?

As to nothing being impossible with God, consider this question: Can God disobey His own Word? God gave man the authority to sin, which is to disobey God's Word, but could God do it Himself?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If I were unable to give you an answer according to scripture you might be correct, but I can. That does not make me right. It simply makes it a possibility as I see it.
Men have taken God's very good creation and using the possibilities allowed have introduced sin. Can they not also introduce a sin that God will not forgive? If there were no curses in scripture, then you also might be right, but there are curses and, is not death one of them? Is there not a death that never ends?

As to nothing being impossible with God, consider this question: Can God disobey His own Word? God gave man the authority to sin, which is to disobey God's Word, but could God do it Himself?

Thank you.
Haha! Okay, you ask two major question here. :)

1) you said:- "Men have taken God's very good creation and using the possibilities allowed have introduced sin. Can they not also introduce a sin that God will not forgive? "
2) As to nothing being impossible with God, consider this question: Can God disobey His own Word? God gave man the authority to sin, which is to disobey God's Word, but could God do it Himself?

# 1 = NO!! Never. There is no sin that God is unable or unwilling to forgive.

#2 = I say No, He could, but He would not. But I dare not really touch that question. Haha!!

I hope others come in on this question. :D

With #1 I expect you are thinking of Esau Heb 12:17 :)
But like Judas , it was his destiny, all part of the major Plan for Jacob.

Interesting.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.

1) you said:- "Men have taken God's very good creation and using the possibilities allowed have introduced sin. Can they not also introduce a sin that God will not forgive? "
2) As to nothing being impossible with God, consider this question: Can God disobey His own Word? God gave man the authority to sin, which is to disobey God's Word, but could God do it Himself?
There is no sin that God is unable or unwilling to forgive.

How does Mark 3:28-29 fit into this?

Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How does Mark 3:28-29 fit into this?

Mary

Hello Mary.
Thank you .
Oh yes, we have that one..and also don't forget the other old favourite one.. Heb 6:4-8 :)

You and Amadeus will not agree with me I am sure...but I 100% believe with both Esau and Heb 6:4-8 There was NO place where they could be restored back to the place they fell from...of being an inheritor.
Esau was the firstborn...the ones in Heb 6 had "been enlightened" but fell back and turned away...they all lost their inheritance.
Unlike some, I do not see this as losing their spiritual life.
Even with your Mark 3. They tasted and knew the Holy Spirit...knew His works..but rejected and turned...no place at all to regain that place...and their works will be burned up. = no place of repentance (= change of turning)back again to the work in the Holy Spirit in their life that they once tasted.

.....H

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that repentance is necessary for the child of God. But that repentance is not a ritual that is done when they think they have sinned. I believe in a repentant attitude, an attitude of continually acknowledging, to God, that the sins of the flesh are always present in the mind.
Hi Richard - I like and agree that it's and ongoing attitude, and I believe it is part of the gift of faith because it doesn't come from us but from God--through us.

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True repentance "IS" a "CONSTANT ATTITUDE" of the heart and is not an action that is done at some place or time. --- It is constantly acknowledging (admitting to God) that you are a sinful person in the flesh and that you need His forgiveness, the need for God, who paid for your sins, to save you from your sinful nature in the flesh. -- It is a constant humble walk with God (the Holy Spirit that lives in your heart) in honesty, without deceit. -- To be exact it is and attitude of the heart and it is not a ritual that you do at some place or time.

Amen, agree completely. It's our understanding we cannot do thing one about our sin problem but only trust Christ to wash us from all sin through faith in Him and His redemptive work.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.

# 1 = NO!! Never. There is no sin that God is unable or unwilling to forgive.

With #1 I expect you are thinking of Esau Heb 12:17 :)
But like Judas , it was his destiny, all part of the major Plan for Jacob.

Interesting.
I was not thinking of Esau but of the children of Israel:

"Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice;
Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it:" Num 14:22-23

Considering what they had received and what they had witnessed while still in Egypt and since leaving Egypt they tested God one time too many, that tenth time, and as a result they were shut out of the Promised Land. One rebellion, and even nine, the way in was still open, but the tenth rebellion was the final one for them. They could have stopped with the rebellions prior to that tenth time, but they did not. The tenth one was for them unforgivable. It was God's limit for them for that disobedience. We cannot make an exact comparison between them and us who are under a different covenant, but without regard to covenants, God has not changed. If He has a limited amount of patience for them, why would not have a limit for us?

As for Esau, Esau did make his choices as did the Pharaoh of Egypt who opposed the release of the Hebrews for so long... until the Egyptians had suffered through ten plagues.

God knew in advance what choices Esau would make, for God does foreknow, but the choices still belong to each person.

How many times do have make the wrong choice before we have reached our limit with God? Consider how Jesus answered Peter:

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven." Matt 18:21-22

Jesus' answer was saying 490 times we are to forgive a man, but God is not a man. I know that since He first drew me to Him He has forgiven me many more than 490 times for my sins. Why would there not be a limit for me as there was for those Hebrews? The Hebrews did not know in advance that the tenth time would be their last time. We, likewise, do not know which forgiveness will be our last one. What I do know is contained in this verse:

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." I Cor 10:13

To me this means that like King David I will not be left with no room for repentance if most of the time I have been striving to do it right because I loved God. It is the repeated transgression with no effort or minimal effort to stop it or to avoid it because we are sure God will forgive us yet one more time that will finally put a us past God's limit.

We likely will not know when we are working on our last chance.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was not thinking of Esau but of the children of Israel:
"Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice; Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it:" Num 14:22-23 <snip>

Well John, it seems that we see things differently ...I can read that...but to me it doesn't speak as being "all over" for them.

I don't think God has turned his back 100% on old Israel.

When they see Him, every knee will bend and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. They will have their face to face time. As will all.
Even if we throw out that argument, which we can.....'The Promised Land' spoke of their/Abrahams Inheritance...which indeed....can be lost.
We have to make our calling and election sure.

"Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown." ( reward, inheritance)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.

2) you said: As to nothing being impossible with God, consider this question: Can God disobey His own Word? God gave man the authority to sin, which is to disobey God's Word, but could God do it Himself?

#2 = I say No, He could, but He would not. But I dare not really touch that question. Haha!!
This one is even more of a can of worms and likely you know it as you don't delve much into it yourself. Consider what Joshua says here:

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

That verse and many others in scripture point to the only two real choices any person has: serving the One God or serving other gods [which would including serving yourself]. This is the basis for what men call "free will", but as I indicated in spite of many sub-categories there really only two choices. Did the coming of Jesus with His sacrifice and the gift of the Holy Ghost change those choices for any man still dwelling in a highly corruptible body of flesh?

Then along comes a person who repents of his sins and embraces Jesus as His Savior and God as his God. He is sincere and does well for a short while. Some told him, not to worry, for you have repented and you cannot now lose your salvation. Hm hmm?

No one told that poor very repentant person that things that corrupted us would still be working against us even when we had really repented. God did not ever remove the two choices that men started with... Jesus did nothing to remove them. What Jesus did was clean the slated for us and make it possible for man to what had really been impossible since before that first disobedience of Adam and Eve.

Jesus states it clearly here:
"And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:26-27

But Jesus had come in order to make the impossible, possible. But, while doing this he still never removed from any person the to choose a way other than God's Way. God can and does put up a hedge around us or a covering over us to protect us, but we may still choose to thrown off that hedge or covering, or to step outside of it and sin once more. Our choice, the same ones described by Joshua so long ago! A bad choice is still possible for even a person who has repented and who has embraced the Way of Jesus.

God made many promises and He does not break His promises, but for the most part His promise includes chastisement and/or punishment for disobedience. We can still disobey God even after we have truly repented. God wants to see what we will do with what we have been given. We now have available the power through the Word and the Holy Spirit to overcome sin and sinful ways. Whether we do so or not still remains our choice. People usually fail to stay on God's side because they try to do it alone instead of surrendering the reins to their lives to Him as often as it is necessary to so. For this reason the Apostle Paul wrote:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

God never loses battles, but when we quench the Holy Spirit us we are pushing God out of the battle and standing alone. When we do that we lose battles against those things within us that had the rule and want to regain it:

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." I John 2:16

We, each one of us, is a world and within us are those three things: lust of flesh, lust of eyes and pride of life. When followed those three things lead us back into sin. Jesus overcame only his only world of flesh. He also made it possible for you and I to do the same thing, but only by always being led by the Holy Spirit. When we quench the Spirit, we cannot overcome those things standing between us and God.

Only an overcomer will be allowed to partake of the Tree of Life and never die: "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God."
Rev 2:7

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well John, it seems that we see things differently ...I can read that...but to me it doesn't speak as being "all over" for them.

I don't think God has turned his back 100% on old Israel.
Neither do I, but we were not discussing the final result for the children of Jacob. We were discussing whether or not God would always forgive. What I showed is that He did not forgive them and allow them to enter the physical promised land. I said nothing about whether or not they might still somehow receive salvation. That is a separate question.

When they see Him, every knee will bend and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. They will have their face to face time. As will all.
Even if we throw out that argument, which we can.....'The Promised Land' spoke of their/Abrahams Inheritance...which indeed....can be lost.
We have to make our calling and election sure.

"Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown." ( reward, inheritance)
Again you jumped from the subject of God NOT forgiving to final salvation. God did not forgive them and let them enter the promised land. That entrance was lost to them as it was lost to Moses and Aaron. Moses appearance on the mount of transfiguration indicated that God did not case the man aside. But, Moses still had to pay the price for striking rather than speaking to the rock. God would not forgive him so that he could receive that reward [reward of natural entrance].

While that lack of forgiveness for rebellion and disobedience is only a type of shadow or the reality of salvation and its loss, to me it means that it is possible to lose it, if after meeting the Master we choose to walk away from Him.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
True repentance "IS" a "CONSTANT ATTITUDE" of the heart and is not an action that is done at some place or time. --- It is constantly acknowledging (admitting to God) that you are a sinful person in the flesh and that you need His forgiveness, the need for God, who paid for your sins, to save you from your sinful nature in the flesh. -- It is a constant humble walk with God (the Holy Spirit that lives in your heart) in honesty, without deceit. -- To be exact it is and attitude of the heart and it is not a ritual that you do at some place or time.
but wait...
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

God knows what we need before we ask him
if you repeat this over and over isn't this just like the heathen do?

and if God already forgiven you why are still gonna remind him of what he already forget?
i know this verse is different but if God forgiven you and this might also be related of him forgiven you

And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

so stop reminding God of your sins and forgive also yourself sins when the time comes that God forgiven you you also need to forgive yourself right?

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Paul couldn’t in Romans 7 and neither can we.
how can you say that? isn't this called a lack of faith? what happened to
37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
i am not sure if it is indeed impossible because i haven't tried to the fullest i am just like unto a paper plane

20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

but i should've done this i regretted i did not do this i did planned but i fell from the bottom at that time i could not get up i truly regret but it's too late i already loss a love one