Trying to quit smoking

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to bring this back up but right now going through withdrawals, I kind of have to admit a lot of negative feelings keep coming up. If it wasn't for the negative feelings, I could easily handle it, and I think I'm handling it fine until all of the thoughts come up.

I'll be perfectly fine and then I'll be thinking about X out of the blue and depending who X is at that moment, I either end up crying or I end up being incredibly angry. Sometimes both. It's very irritating because there are things I'd like to just not emotionally involve myself in at all. I am extremely hurt and angry, but I'm usually pretty good about pushing it down and not thinking about it to get on through the day.

I'm not trying to do it. It just comes up out of nowhere and I have no idea how it happens.

I am actually going through this as I am typing this and the feelings coming up are extremely difficult to handle. I was going through this last night, and I had thoughts of everything from going back to bulimia (after 19 years... I was a teenager!) to being angry that I couldn't drink (4 years sober), to really bad thoughts to put it extremely lightly. Needless to say, I didn't make it through the quit.

But I'm going through withdrawals right now and I'm sort of feeling the same as last night and not knowing how to handle the feelings.

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aren't you glad that you have a life that requires "enduring?" Think about it: The Lord says repeatedly that His Children will suffer. This means that those who are not suffering . . . well, their chances of being chosen are much less than yours.

Perhaps the reason why you are suffering, and thus smoking grants a form of relief, is because you do not belong to this world. Perhaps you are an alien in a strange land, which would explain why things don't feel quite right to you.

I know that it can be hard to see things "this" way, but is there any way that you might find yourself to be extremely blessed because of your hardships?

1 Peter 5:10 NIV - "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."

Because you have a life that requires "enduring," know that our God is aware. He knows what He is doing . . . Trust Him and be at peace. You can do it. I believe in you.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think you'll understand what I mean when I say the important thing here is to keep the train on the tracks.
Easy does it...you didn't become addicted overnight.
Sometimes the problem can seem like an insurmountable mountain.
The 12 steps of A.A. have helped me a lot.
They come from the bible through The Oxford Group, who were Christians.
Originally, the higher power was called Jesus Christ.
Have you ever heard of Christian 12-step groups such as Overcomers Anonymous?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. - Serenity Prayer, St. Francis of Assisi
"A fool vents all of his anger, but a wise man holds it back." Proverbs 29:11 Berean Study Bible
I cried out, "God, I'm a fool!"
He led me to this: "Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." Proverbs 26:12 BSB :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not to bring this back up but right now going through withdrawals, I kind of have to admit a lot of negative feelings keep coming up. If it wasn't for the negative feelings, I could easily handle it, and I think I'm handling it fine until all of the thoughts come up.

I'll be perfectly fine and then I'll be thinking about X out of the blue and depending who X is at that moment, I either end up crying or I end up being incredibly angry. Sometimes both. It's very irritating because there are things I'd like to just not emotionally involve myself in at all. I am extremely hurt and angry, but I'm usually pretty good about pushing it down and not thinking about it to get on through the day.

I'm not trying to do it. It just comes up out of nowhere and I have no idea how it happens.

I am actually going through this as I am typing this and the feelings coming up are extremely difficult to handle. I was going through this last night, and I had thoughts of everything from going back to bulimia (after 19 years... I was a teenager!) to being angry that I couldn't drink (4 years sober), to really bad thoughts to put it extremely lightly. Needless to say, I didn't make it through the quit.

But I'm going through withdrawals right now and I'm sort of feeling the same as last night and not knowing how to handle the feelings.
righty...well, day 1 of the quit starts again. Up you get....one foot in front of the other......no tantrums now 'cause you fell....there are others gunning for you as well as me.....and those stop smoking links that ReChoired posted.....get into them!

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I either end up crying or I end up being incredibly angry.
Invest in two items: (1) a punching bag with a pair of gloves, and give it a good lickin' every day and (2) a dart board on which you pin a pack of smokes and then hammer the pack with those darts till it falls apart. Both those objects will be crying instead of you. And before you know it you can move on. :cool:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I get it...
You are ready to chew some nails you are so on edge.

Take a deep breath and let it out slowly along with some of that tension.

Find something to divert your attention...

Crochet a blanket.
Make a paper chain.
Do something with your hands to help you focus on something else.

And of course... keep drinking the water! Flush that nicotine out of your system. The sooner it leaves you the sooner you will feel better.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awww just saw this. Keep up the good fight. My aunt died from three different types of cancers. One was stage 5 lung cancer. She was a chain smoker. It is good you are stopping.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I started smoking LONG before I actually started walking with God. It was actually never my choice. I hated smoking. I don't want to get into that story too much. Basically, it was a bad situation and it was forced on me. I got addicted and then I quit, and then I didn't know how to cope with certain things and started again on my own at 19.

I quit again and again and again, and for six days at the beginning of this month, but without any emotional support besides a different forum - but it didn't give me any Christian support/comfort that I was kind of craving and then in real life there was zero emotional support. Actually it was the opposite and more of just constant criticism.

Now after being here I feel like I have a little more emotional support with dealing with certain things so I'm ready to try again.

I don't really have a point. Just wanted to share.

I just quit cigarettes...a couple of days ago. I mean, the most I smoked was three in a day, but that was enough for me to see that I would probably increase that. I would smoke maybe one a day...sometimes not even that, but it was slowly building.

I really don't even smoke unless I'm drinking or using, which I haven't done in about 6 months...closer to seven actually.

And I don't really drink or use habitually...I was more of a binger.

Anyways, yeah, I don't like the taste or the smell of cigarettes (I would brush my teeth right after I smoked one). Plus, I am kind of a health nut...well, I like to stay in great physical shape, so cigarettes are not conducive to that.

Thank you for sharing here and I hope and pray that you are able to breathe in and breathe out on a natural tip...

Best yet, May His Holy Breath raise you up, far above all struggles and supply all Comfort, in Yahshua ha Mashiach. Amen.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've found that, for me, nicotine is the hardest to withdraw from.
Up until a few months ago, I vaped 2 - 3 bottles of E-juice a month.
The past few months have been very difficult, as I've spent much of them with some of the worst migraines I've ever had.
Pain has driven me to God. Even more than usual.
A curious thing has happened.
For the months of March and April, I've used a total of 1/4 of a bottle of E-juice. I haven't tried to cut down at all.
Maybe I'll come to understand it. Of course, I'm delighted. :)

Reactions: amadeus

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Remind yourself that this increase in anxiety is temporary and will subside as your body adjusts away from the nicotine and stress of quitting. ...
  • Avoid stimulants. ...
  • Avoid high sugar and junk foods. ...
  • Increase regular deep relaxation. ...
  • Increase regular light to moderate exercise. ...
  • Reduce stress wherever you can.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have seen heroin addicts kick easier than a smoker. Strong pull of the flesh but it is just tobacco over whatever the drug addiction. A made up mind (which you seem to have), lots of lollypops. Don't give up just keep trying and the mind trip will get easier. If you fail, brush yourself off get up and try again and beat it. Once you have the first one the rest of the day is too just hard. Don't have a first one and the rest of the day is easier.
Years ago a friend asked me to accompany them to both an AA and NA meeting, on two different nights of course.

One thing that was held in common by all those in both meetings was that every last person there smoked.

Trading one addiction for another. It's very hard to ween the body off of addictive substance.

People who quit smoking will often gain a lot of weight .Because their hand to mouth reflex with a cigarette is engrained in muscle memory. And because as they regain their appetite that is no longer suppressed by nicotine.

My friend carried bags of healthy snacks with them when they first stopped drinking. The sugar in alcohol fosters a body craving in itself. So he fed that with fruits and veggies.
This made it easier for him to next quit smoking.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
how do you know this part??

(this got forwarded to my email and caught my eye)
((hi guys))
(((also I quit smoking last year)))
Hey, well done. That ain't rready...edit...EASY!!
.. Praise Jesus. And welcome back... Been too long.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥MUCH LOVE!!!!!!!MISSED YOU!!!!!!!
Haha this made me smile so big :D

LOVE YOU TOO!!!! MISS YOU ALL

just having a lot of life stuff and trying to be good mom and spending time focused on my kids and taking care of household stuff :)

hope you all are doing well