Trying to stop smoking and vaping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I been smoking cigarettes since I was 10 years old.
I've tried to quit a few times but I just get miserable and nasty. So I quit quitting.
I truly hope you succeed. It's getting expensive over here.
My daughter smoked for about 10 years and then she quit. She has more will power than me. lol

Good luck!
Hugs

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just given up, he gave up some years ago and then went back to it last year. He has found that Nicorette mist spray has been really helpful. You gradually find that you use it naturally less and less.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lozengers and patches instead

I currently use smokeless tobacco. I did quit for 10 years and what I did to quit was to taper down so I think you will have success with the patches. Tobacco is more addictive at higher levels. At lesser levels like ultra-light cigarettes or patches it is less addictive to me and I find I use it less.

What I told myself seemed important to me when I quit. It was this "You don't need to cigarettes, you weren't born with them and lived many years without them as a child before you started. They aren't necessary"

There is some withdrawals that happen for about 3 days. If you make it for 3 days then you are pretty much there. It is worse the 1st day and then becomes easier and easier with each successive day.

I only started back up because I went thru a terrible things in life and being stupid turned to cigarettes.

I will quit again.

Reactions: Nancy and Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I told myself seemed important to me when I quit. It was this "You don't need to cigarettes, you weren't born with them and lived many years without them as a child before you started. They aren't necessary"
I basically was born smoking lol.
Both my granddad's had passed when my parents were kids but I think they both smoked. My grandmother's smoked, my parents smoked, both my older brothers smoked.
So whether I actually smoked a cigarrette is neither here no there. It was always in the air from the day that I was born. And in the blood stream from the womb.
My dad was an alcoholic until I was 3. But my mom never drank. And I can't tolerate alcohol.
I use pipe tobacco and tubes. There still nicotine but I don't think it has as many chemicals as the box smokes.
And it's a lot cheaper. I spend about $50 a month.
If i were to smoke regular cigarettes it would cost $240. a month.

I think it's a part of my dna. I don't smoke around my dad or anyone that don't smoke. I don't smoke in the car.
I only smoke when I'm on the computer which happens to be about a pack a day.
I used to smoke 3 packs a day. I've cut back a lot. But I've tried to go without and the longest was 3 months.
Stress always brings me back.

I don't know about the nasal sprays and the gum. I only ever used the patch but never got beyond step 2. I think there are 3 steps to that.
I don't recommend anyone starting smoking. But to me it was just a part of the family. Everybody did it.
And I don't condemn people that do smoke, because I know how difficult it is to try and stop.
It's like trying to not breath. It gives me anxiety.

Same with coffee and caffeine. If I don't have my coffee I get migraine headaches.
So those my two vices, my thorns in the flesh I have to deal with.
And it's never convient when I run out of either.

Hugs

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I basically was born smoking lol.
Both my granddad's had passed when my parents were kids but I think they both smoked. My grandmother's smoked, my parents smoked, both my older brothers smoked.
So whether I actually smoked a cigarrette is neither here no there. It was always in the air from the day that I was born. And in the blood stream from the womb.
My dad was an alcoholic until I was 3. But my mom never drank. And I can't tolerate alcohol.
I use pipe tobacco and tubes. There still nicotine but I don't think it has as many chemicals as the box smokes.
And it's a lot cheaper. I spend about $50 a month.
If i were to smoke regular cigarettes it would cost $240. a month.

I think it's a part of my dna. I don't smoke around my dad or anyone that don't smoke. I don't smoke in the car.
I only smoke when I'm on the computer which happens to be about a pack a day.
I used to smoke 3 packs a day. I've cut back a lot. But I've tried to go without and the longest was 3 months.
Stress always brings me back.

I don't know about the nasal sprays and the gum. I only ever used the patch but never got beyond step 2. I think there are 3 steps to that.
I don't recommend anyone starting smoking. But to me it was just a part of the family. Everybody did it.
And I don't condemn people that do smoke, because I know how difficult it is to try and stop.
It's like trying to not breath. It gives me anxiety.

Same with coffee and caffeine. If I don't have my coffee I get migraine headaches.
So those my two vices, my thorns in the flesh I have to deal with.
And it's never convient when I run out of either.

Hugs
Glad you cut back. I recently did some research and it appears there is more risk of cancer with any type of smoke. Wood smoke, smoked meats, smoke tobacco and even car emissions. I've known and heard of people that lived their entire lives and never got cancer, while others have died young. So not sure how effective the studies are. I just try to enjoy life while I'm still here.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Geez, quiting twilight & smokes at the same time. That's a tough gig.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard it said that in order to quit something that you hate or something that's destroying you you need to move to something else. In other words you need to be moving. you need to be actively walking toward that goal.
But on the other hand you need to hate the thing you're trying to move away from. You have to see it for the demon that it is and what it's doing to you and sometimes that alone is enough to be a game changer.
But I think the idea of moving toward a greater goal ,and you have to desire that goal more than the one you're moving away from.
You have to want the change more than the thing that's in trapping and enslaving you.
I know the Holy Spirit is creative, and when we call on him he is the actual game changer and he will show us and help us,in how to break those chains and shackles that are destroying us

Reactions: Ziggy and dev553344

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glad you cut back. I recently did some research and it appears there is more risk of cancer with any type of smoke. Wood smoke, smoked meats, smoke tobacco and even car emissions. I've known and heard of people that lived their entire lives and never got cancer, while others have died young. So not sure how effective the studies are. I just try to enjoy life while I'm still here.
Depends on what the narrative the government is pushing and how they want to guide you downa certain path.
Right now the government is going after flavored tobacco like menthol , which is what I smoke, and also flavored vipes, flavored chew, flavored anything. Their reasoning is that the flavours attract kids. I'll agree with that.
But the stickler is, they claim most African Americans prefer menthol, so that's the battle on the hill right now.
Be interesting to see which side wins. The government, the people, or the children.
I would opt for the children even if it means i have to smoke regular...yuck.
LOL
Hugs

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lozengers and patches instead
Nicotine addiction is not an easy thing to escape. I smoked heavily for about ten years, and then spent about two years trying to break the addiction. I finally got the job done, and I no longer desire nicotine, but it was a difficult task. One needs to expect to suffer for about six weeks after they give up nicotine, I would say.

Reactions: Ziggy

Hazelelponi

Jan 12, 2024
Raven
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I currently use smokeless tobacco. I did quit for 10 years and what I did to quit was to taper down so I think you will have success with the patches. Tobacco is more addictive at higher levels. At lesser levels like ultra-light cigarettes or patches it is less addictive to me and I find I use it less.

There is some withdrawals that happen for about 3 days. If you make it for 3 days then you are pretty much there. It is worse the 1st day and then becomes easier and easier with each successive day.

I only started back up because I went thru a terrible things in life and being stupid turned to cigarettes.

I will quit again.

Pay attention to the 3's... 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months.

Down the road, for many people, a serious craving will creep up on you out of nowhere... It happens sometime around 3 weeks, and again sometime around 3 months for most people.

Then, around a year out or if you face a serious stress it will come back.

Key is making sure you have some alternative to get you through the unexpected creeping hardcore craving that comes when you least expect it.

Even when you think it's over, you still have to be prepared.

(I quit smoking 9 years ago)

Reactions: Ziggy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pay attention to the 3's... 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months.

Down the road, for many people, a serious craving will creep up on you out of nowhere... It happens sometime around 3 weeks, and again sometime around 3 months for most people.

Then, around a year out or if you face a serious stress it will come back.

Key is making sure you have some alternative to get you through the unexpected creeping hardcore craving that comes when you least expect it.

Even when you think it's over, you still have to be prepared.

(I quit smoking 9 years ago)
That sounds like nonsense. But OK.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I smoked for 32 years before quitting... Some people have different quitting experiences I'm sure.
Yes, I never experienced that. I think if people believe that temptation will happen on certain occasions then they may actually be causing the temptation themselves.