TULIP an open discussion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, predestination is mentioned a few times in the Bible, and force is not mentioned anywhere. How does God determine someone's destiny?
Actually, force is inherent in the meaning of predestination, prohoridzo. To place limits in advance. When God limits something a certain way, limited it is.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even though this scripture doe not say explicitly that God caused you to believe,
I don't suggest taking the leap into speculation, particularly when it would contradict other Scripture. Though I understand that you don't accept the plain saying of John's Gospel that I've been quoting.

Paul gives the exact same order in Romans 10. Those who believe and confess shall be saved. Do you see this passage as likewise factually wrong?

Much love!

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Calvin talk about being a puppet? I don't remember that.

Do you remember when he put out directives for people to be murdered like he did with Michael Servetus?

John calvin was like the catholics and like the people in islam in that he enjoyed having those killed that did not agree with his fake gospel. The Bible does not teach it's OK to have people murdered doe sit?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In fact most scripture concerning conversion does not go much in any detail of the process.
Acts 2:21 KJV
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Not . . . "and it shall come to pass that whosoever the Lord saves shall call upon His Name."

Acts 2:38 KJV
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Not . . . "ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, that you will repent and be baptized."

Acts 3:19 KJV
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

There is a clear order of salvation consistently expressed.

@Ritajanice

Much love!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't suggest taking the leap into speculation, particularly when it would contradict other Scripture. Though I understand that you don't accept the plain saying of John's Gospel that I've been quoting.

Paul gives the exact same order in Romans 10. Those who believe and confess shall be saved. Do you see this passage as likewise factually wrong?

Much love!
Copy that marks, as I also know that Paul gives the same 'general high level' order. And that was my point I was attempting to make to you. It was no imagination or speculation on my part it was a conservative view. I was saying without using those types of words, you were in speculation mode.

If you do not get my post then no worries, it might come to you later.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Copy that marks, as I also know that Paul gives the same 'general high level' order. And that was my point I was attempting to make to you. It was no imagination or speculation on my part it was a conservative view. I was saying without using those types of words, you were in speculation mode.

If you do not get my post then no worries, it might come to you later.
You neglected to answer my question.

There's no speculation, I'm simply quoting Scripture. So then maybe your reply IS an answer. Maybe something to think about.

Personally, I would answer, it's not factually wrong, therefore, the order is correct.

Much love!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:21 KJV
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Not . . . "and it shall come to pass that whosoever the Lord saves shall call upon His Name."

Acts 2:38 KJV
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Not . . . "ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, that you will repent and be baptized."

Acts 3:19 KJV
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

There is a clear order of salvation consistently expressed.

@Ritajanice

Much love!
I give the same or similar answer marks I gave to your in the other reply. Post #86. The 'high level' order is there to be sure although the details are absent, to show the Spirit of God begins and ends the process of your conversion, for sure, for his outcome and not yours. And I thought this is what you 'might' want to know. To know you must have been called, and then what actions you may have been involved in, for the progress and process of your conversion. And what was the Spirit of God doing in this entire process.

Again, no worries. I do understand what you wrote.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I give the same or similar answer marks I gave to your in the other reply. Post #86. The 'high level' order is there to be sure although the details are absent, to show the Spirit of God begins and ends the process of your conversion, for sure, for his outcome and not yours. And I thought this is what you 'might' want to know. To know you must have been called, and then what actions you may have been involved in, for the progress and process of your conversion. And what was the Spirit of God doing in this entire process.

Again, no worries. I do understand what you wrote.
And I think I also understand what you are saying. No need to continue, I should say. I'm not thinking that there are unwritten "details" which overturn the truths in these passages. I accept what they say.

Personally I find nearly all disagreements over the Scriptures result from a failure to accept their plain saying.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You neglected to answer my question.

There's no speculation, I'm simply quoting Scripture. So then maybe your reply IS an answer. Maybe something to think about.

Personally, I would answer, it's not factually wrong, therefore, the order is correct.

Much love!
Look why do you make a mountain out of this very agreeable point of discussion...to make you happy, of course it is factual, it is not in a detailed form however. You can see my point I hope...

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I think I also understand what you are saying. No need to continue, I should say. I'm not thinking that there are unwritten "details" which overturn the truths in these passages. I accept what they say.

Much love!
thank you and I leave in love and humility

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I say, get out of the final digestive tract and recognise humanity encompasses more than a theory and God is greater than mens perceived wisdom.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say, get out of the final digestive tract and recognise humanity encompasses more than a theory and God is greater than mens perceived wisdom.
Yes, the process of rebirth is indeed a miraculous mystery to us, and God is indeed greater in wisdom as he alone initiates the process and call for our salvation by his design, and not by us, with our own so-called 'free' will. It's a Godly affair and few are invited to the party, and most are not.....because, (fill in the blank)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of "Total Depravity" Let's talk about a related subject and see where we might gain insight. In Romans chapter one, Paul seems to wrap up the entire human race under a particular form of unbelief based on how a human being responds to the existence of God. His wrath is poured out against unbelief. Does Paul convict the entire world of the following?

Romans 1:28-32
And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

Did God give us all over to a depraved mind? Maybe, maybe not. That's a question worthy of discussion. Do I fall somewhere on that list? Maybe I used to be on that list but now I am different. What made the difference? What explains my conversion experience? And why doesn't everyone have a conversion experience?
My thought is that Paul was referring primarily to the consciously, unrepentant wicked, who yield to utter selfishness, to the loss of their Salvation. Paul's point seems to be that sin is manifestly in us all, even though not in all of us in the precise same way. Some are beyond repentance, and some do these things are are willing to repent.

Rom 2.1 you who pass judgment do the same things.

Paul's idea seems to be that we should not judge others who do these things because we are capable of similar things, even if we are ultimately willing to repent. Repentance will require that we admit that we do similar things so that God will not only forgive us but also give us renewed virtues to do the right things.

Paul is not here speaking of why one chooses to harden his heart and another repent. Paul is simply exhorting believers to be those who do not harden their hearts and judge, thereby cutting themselves off from God's grace and virtue.

So it depends here on how you're defining "Total Depravity?" If you define it as Paul did, given the unrepentant kind, in which a person chooses to harden his heart, then no, this does not apply to all men. But if you define it as the sins that we are all capable of, with the ability to repent, then yes, we are guilty of those things.

Since I think Paul was only speaking of those who are willfully unrepentant, I do not personally think we are all Totally Depraved. But I'm not sure how Calvin or others in Calvinism wish to apply these distinctions?

I think that Calvin and Luther both saw the Soul in Bondage, subject to God's choice to save them, as opposed to their choice to be saved. And I would reject that.

My thought is that God has determined who He wanted to save, in advance, and these willfully choose to be saved and to repent. Those who He has not chosen are planted by the work of men whose choices were their own, apart from God's will, so that those born of this kind are predictably resistant to Salvation. They are free to choose for Salvation, but because of their environment they do not.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who can't differentiate God from the Devil, would be a Calvinist who teaches that '"God causes Evil".

See that?

That is CALVINISM,... that is a Calvinist....= attributing to GOD, the Devil's Work.
Right, I certainly don't go as far as Calvinism.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is why I posted the passage from Romans 8 speaking of the Spirit of Christ in us. Jesus said Himself, the Spirit, and the Father would all live in us.

The Scriptures teach that those who receive Jesus - God's words, not mine - are those to whom God gives rebirth.

I do like to order my thoughts according to the specific words of the Bible, so I know I'm thinking about it correctly. I believe the Bible fully and completely, and I believe that it was written exactly according to the truth God shares with us. I think every word is correct, including here, and other places which tell us essentially the very same thing.

I don't think I said, "receive Him into my heart", I think you are picking that up from what others say.

If I were to elaborate on what I mean when I say "receive Jesus", I think it is in the way the Jews did not. Jesus came to them as Savior and King, and they rejected Him. I receive Him as my Savior and King. That He is my rescuer, and my rightful master.

Much love!
Again, that is not saying how we are “ Born Again “ I see you mention nothing about the Spiritual eyes and ears we receive as soon as we become “ Born Of The Spirit “....did you recognise your spiritual eyes and ears as soon as you were Born Again?

You keep saying you believe the “ Bible”:you can’t believe the Bible without the Living rebirth?

That’s what I’m trying to get across...Spirit gives gives birth to spirit....isn’t something you read, well you do read it, what I’m trying to say is....Spirit gives birth to spirit...is an actual “ supernatural Spiritual event, A Living powerful ,mind blowing event, when we become Born Of the Spirit....

Gods word is Alive in Spirit and we need to receive his Living word in Spirit and truth.

That Living word is Gods Spirit which is Alive and Active today in the world.....his Living word is everywhere, it NEVER ceases to exist.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
By the testimony of the Spirit to our spirit. By His Spirit that is in us. These are two specific ways the Bible teaches.
How does his Spirit get into us?...

How would we know he is testifying to our spirit?
Romans 8:15-16 KJV
15) For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16) The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

1 John 3:24 KJV
24) And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John 4:13 KJV
13) Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

Much love!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For this, I think we can only answer for ourselves, since this is inside. But I know Someone who is not me, yet lives in me, who is powerful, and loving, and all that the Bible says He is. I know Him in my heart.
What does this mean?

But I know someone who is not me, yet lives in me?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to camp out on this passage for as long as needed, as it speaks clearly.

Ok...what do you do yourself?

How can you receive the Spirit , just by initially believing in Jesus?

We believe initially...then what?
Only to those who receive Jesus, believing on His Name, only those does God give rebirth to. Again, "received" and "believe" are active voice verbs. It's not done to us, or for us, its something we ourselves do.

And then we are reborn by God.

Much love!

Edit to add . . . I have no wish to argue or debate this with you, so I'll leave it here, unless you wish to ask a direct question.

More love!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In all honesty I have a difficult time following some of your posts. I'm not planning to go fishing through the thread. If there's something you think I skipped over feel free to bring it up.

Much love!
Can you explain what your having difficulty with, I’ve had this said a few times from members?

If you communicate the difficulty, then maybe I can explain?xx