TULIP an open discussion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul does not mention by name any of the OT books he quoted or referenced in Romans 9, but his Jewish audience would recognize the OT references Paul was using as his evidence, just as Christians do today.
On the contrary, Jewish audiences would recognize that Paul is making a different point with the potter than Jeremiah did.
That is your belief, but you have to prove it by Scripture.
I gave you proof. You chose to ignore it.
Sure, in general all humans, everything we have, is by God's grace; however, regarding the grace of salvation, that is accessed by faith in Lord Jesus no matter how much you protest.
And our faith in the Lord Jesus is, itself, a matter of God's grace.
Our faith is what keeps us from falling away. Faith is not guaranteed;
Yes, but according to three different Apostles, attested faith will endure. Do you understand the difference between faith and attested faith?
rather, we are commanded and instructed to endure to the end to be saved.
We are commanded to endure. Not all will endure. But the faith that has been tested and proved will endure, Guaranteed. I showed you this from scripture.
Salvation is guaranteed only to those who believe manifested by sowing to the Spirit without giving up.
That's right. Peter tells you that the power of God guarantees endurance.
Our hope in Christ does not disappoint because God is true to His promises. Nothing in Scripture states that God guarantees our faith; rather, that is a man-made doctrine that people force upon the text of Scripture.
I showed you where it says that God guarantees our faith.
Peter is writing to Christians who believe. To those who believe, God caused us [believers] to be born again by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Read Acts 1 and 2, and you will see that the Spirit of God was poured out upon those who were already believers.
You are confusing the Spirit's role to help the Apostles and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. These are two different things.
The Spirit will only indwell to give life those who first believe.
The guarantee of salvation is granted to those whom God uses his power to maintain the belief of those whom he chose.
We are protected by the power of God through faith in Him.
Yes, through faith in him. But our salvation does not begin with us, it begins and ends with God. According to Peter, God uses his power to keep us from falling away.

Israel is God's Elect people, the apple of His eye; yet, they refused to listen to his instruction again and again.
And God hardened some of them, foreclosing on their freewill choice. You need to come to grips with this. God took away their free will to repent.
That is why God hardened Israel.
Okay. You understand the WHY of the hardening. Now come to grips with the FACT of the hardening. God took away their ability to repent. That should bother you if you understood it.
That will happen in the Millennial reign of Christ on earth.

At a time in the future, Israel will turn from their sins, and then God will heal them.
No, you got it backwards. Israel will continue to remain stubbornly unrepentant UNTIL God gives them a new heart and a new spirit.
God desires all to be saved, but will grant the gift of eternal life to those who will believe. That is what the Scriptures teach.
You misunderstand what Paul is saying to Timothy. Paul is not saying that God desires that every person be saved. No. Paul is saying that certain types of people will not be left out.
God hardens in punishment those who continually refuse His grace.
No. God hardens those who he wishes. Grace is when he unhardens them.
God shows us all through the Scriptures, by his commands, warnings, admonitions, and teaching, that he is leaving the choice up to each individual to believe. For God's part, he desires to save all people.
That isn't true. Your conclusion isn't supported by the scriptures. Does God warn, yes. Does his warning imply or infer that the choice is left to them? No.

I know you want to say that God hardens people because they deserve it, and this makes it easier to deal with the FACT that God hardens people. But let the FACT do it's work. What does it MEAN for God to harden a man? It means that that man can NO longer make a free will choice to repent. That should upset you. It upsets everyone who wakes up to the significance of that truth.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our faith is what keeps us from falling away. Faith is not guaranteed; rather, we are commanded and instructed to endure to the end to be saved. Salvation is guaranteed only to those who believe manifested by sowing to the Spirit without giving up.

Yep, and in John 15 Jesus explains that those who do not abide in Him are cut of.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's weird to see TULIP in the unorthodox section. They're pretty mainstream beliefs, even if I don't hold them.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, and in John 15 Jesus explains that those who do not abide in Him are cut of.
Greek scholar A.T. Robertson explains it well - Two kinds of connections with Christ as the vine (the merely cosmic which bears no fruit, the spiritual and vital which bears fruit). The fruitless (not bearing fruit, mh peron karpon) the vine-dresser "takes away" (airei) or prunes away. Probably (Bernard) Jesus here refers to Judas.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
setst777 said: Paul does not mention by name any of the OT books he quoted or referenced in Romans 9, but his Jewish audience would recognize the OT references Paul was using as his evidence, just as Christians do today.

On the contrary, Jewish audiences would recognize that Paul is making a different point with the potter than Jeremiah did.

There is nothing contrary about it, as that was Paul's customary way of teaching the Gospel.

Acts 17:2 (WEB) 2 Paul, as was his custom, went in to them, and for three Sabbath days reasoned with them from the Scriptures

If Paul was using the Potter and Clay analogy differently than what God gave, then Paul would lose all credibility in his argument, because no one would accept what Paul says just because he said it. That is why, when reasoning with the Jews, Paul backed up what he said by the OT Scriptures:

As was Paul’s custom, in Romans 9, and all through his Epistles, including the Book of Hebrews, he reasoned from the Scriptures. For instance, the Jews in Bereora searched the Scriptures daily to see if the things Paul told them were true (Acts 17:10-11). What do you think the noble Bereans would have done if Paul was using an OT Scripture analogy that went contrary to what God taught in the OT? Yet, you act as if Paul can just change the meaning as he sees fit in the following dialogue:

------------

CadyandZoe said: Does he mention Jeremiah? No. His only OT examples serve to prove that salvation is a matter of God's choice.

setst777 said: Paul does not mention by name any of the OT books he quoted or referenced in Romans 9, but his Jewish audience would recognize the OT references Paul was using as his evidence, just as Christians do today.

CadyandZoe said: Yes. I agree. The piece you are missing is the fact that persistent, enduring belief is a gift of God's grace.

------------

I gave you proof. You chose to ignore it.

SETST RE: Instead of just saying you gave proof, why don’t you at least list the verse(s) that you think proves your point? Therefore, your argument is invalid because you gave no Scripture verse(s) that plainly teaches what you state.

And our faith in the Lord Jesus is, itself, a matter of God's grace.

God gives all people the ability to believe, otherwise no one could believe in anything; but God reasons with, commands, admonishes, instructs, urges and pleads with us to repent and believe, which shows that God does not just give faith to some by the indwelling Spirit, and the rest he leaves in unbelief; rather, God patiently leads us to repentance, but we can still resist God.

Ezekiel 18:23 Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked?” says the Lord Yahweh; “and not rather that he should return from his way, and live?

Ezekiel 33:11
Tell them, ‘“As I live,” says the Lord Yahweh, “I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why will you die oh house of Israel?”’

Romans 2:4-5 ”Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God“

Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent

Isaiah 1:18-20 (WEB) 18 “Come now, and let’s reason together,” says Yahweh: “Though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool. 19 If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good of the land; 20 but if you refuse and rebel, you will be devoured with the sword; for the Yahweh’s mouth has spoken it.”

setst777 said: Our faith is what keeps us from falling away. Faith is not guaranteed;

Yes, but according to three different Apostles, attested faith will endure. Do you understand the difference between faith and attested faith?

I gave you “Galatians 6:7-9” as my evidence that the faith of Born Again Christians is not guaranteed; rather, every true believer must sow to the Spirit to receive eternal life from the Spirit - but you ignored it.

Galatians 6:7-9 (Writing to the Church in Galatia) 7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows [continuous sowing] to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows [continuous sowing] to please the Spirit, {{{from the Spirit}}} will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest {{{IF}}} WE (believers) do not give up.

We are commanded to endure. Not all will endure. But the faith that has been tested and proved will endure, Guaranteed. I showed you this from scripture.

That is my point. The Christian’s Faith must be continuous to the end to be granted eternal life. Salvation is guaranteed only to those who remain in the faith. Many will not endure in THE FAITH to the end.

These are only some Passages out of many I already quoted for you that teach us that genuine believers (disciples) of Christ can fall away. That is why Lord Jesus instructs us to endure to the end to be saved.

Matthew 24:11-13 (WEB) 11 Many false prophets will arise and will lead many astray. 12 Because iniquity will be multiplied, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Luke 21:19 (WEB) 19 By your endurance you will win your lives.

Luke 21:34-36 (WEB) 36 Therefore, be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

James 1:12 (WEB) 12 Blessed is a person who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to those who love him.

setst777 said: Salvation is guaranteed only to those who believe manifested by sowing to the Spirit without giving up.

Galatians 6:8-9 (WEB) To the Church in Galatia 8 Whoever sows [continuous sowing] to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows [continuous sowing] to please the Spirit, {{{from the Spirit}}} will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest {{{IF}}} WE (born again believers) do not give up.

That's right. Peter tells you that the power of God guarantees endurance.

You gave “1 Peter 1:3-7” as your evidence, but these verses say that we are kept by the power of God THROUGH faith. No Scripture teaches that the power of God guarantees endurance. Your argument is invalid.

Romans 1:16-17 (EWEB)16 For I am not ashamed of the Good News of Christ, because it is the power of God for salvation {{{for everyone who believes (continuous believing)}}}, for the Jew first, and also for the Greek. 17 For in it is revealed God’s righteousness from faith to faith. As it is written, “But the righteous shall live by faith.” [Habakkuk 2:4]

1 Peter 1:5 (KJV) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:9 (NIV) 9 for you are receiving the end result of {{{your}}} faith, the salvation of your souls.

There is no guarantee that we will not give up, because many do give up.

Romans 11:20-22 (WEB) 20 True; by their unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God didn’t spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 See then the goodness and severity of God. Toward those {{{who fell}}}, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in his goodness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

Last edited:

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I showed you where it says that God guarantees our faith.

If what you say is true, then you would have at least listed the vers(s); instead, you fabricate your own words as if they were God's Word right to His face. And everyone on this board can see exactly what you are doing, since these messages last forever, they are permanent.

Even if you delete your posts, I quoted you, and I will not remove my posts. For decades to come, everyone who views these messages will see you are using deception.

setst777 said: Peter is writing to Christians who believe. To those who believe, God caused us [believers] to be born again by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Read Acts 1 and 2, and you will see that the Spirit of God was poured out upon those who were already believers.

You are confusing the Spirit's role to help the Apostles and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. These are two different things.

I am not confused; rather, you are evading having to face the truth once again. You are the one who said that the born-again experience is when the Spirit is poured out before they can believe. My quotes show that a person is born again because they do believe. Here is what you stated as follows:

------------

CadyandZoe said: And the believer remains faithful because the Spirit of God has been poured out into his heart.

CadyandZoe said: Yes, as long as we understand the logical order of justification. 1. God pours out his Spirit into our hearts first. (One must be born again.) 2. When we encounter God's promise, we respond in faith, believing the gospel.

CadyandZoe said: Jesus is giving us a descriptive statement about what happens. He is NOT giving us a prescriptive statement, that nullifies or neglects being born again, or the indwelling of the Spirit.

CadyandZoe said: has caused us to be born again
We don't have the power to believe and remain which is why God must pour out his Spirit into our hearts. We must be born again, and he is the agent of our rebirth, not us.

My quotes prove that the Spirit is only poured out on those who already believe to give them life, which you completely ignored in my response to you as follows:

------------

setst777 said: The Spirit will only indwell those who first believe to give them life, according to God's Word.

John 7:37-39 (WEB) 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.

Ephesians 1:13 In him you also, having heard the word of the truth, the Good News of your salvation - in whom, having also believed, you were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit

Can you answer this question by the Apostle Paul?

Galatians 3:2
I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you
heard? ...... [See again "Romans 10:14-21"]

------------

You completely ignored my response and the question I gave you from the Apostle Paul.

The guarantee of salvation is granted to those whom God uses his power to maintain the belief of those whom he chose.

You give no Scripture that plainly states that God uses his power to maintain the belief of those whom he chose; so, your argument is a direct attack on God and His Word. Your argument is invalid.

Yes, through faith in him. But our salvation does not begin with us, it begins and ends with God. According to Peter, God uses his power to keep us from falling away.

Once again, you say “according to Peter.” But you even misrepresent Peter, just as you misrepresent Paul and God himself. No Scripture ever states that God uses his power to keep us from falling away; rather, we are warned to be careful, lest we fall away.

Romans 11:20-22 (WEB) 20 True; by their unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God didn’t spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 See then the goodness and severity of God. Toward those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in his goodness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

Hebrews 3:12-15 (WEB) 12 Beware, brothers and sisters [Christians], lest perhaps there might be in any one of you an evil heart of unbelief, in falling away from the living God; 13 but exhort one another day by day, so long as it is called “today”, lest anyone of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we [brothers and sisters] have become partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence firm to the end, 15 while it is said, “Today if you will hear his voice, don’t harden your hearts, as in the rebellion.” [Psalm 95:7-8]

Hebrews 4:11 (WEB) 11 Let us [Christians] therefore give diligence to enter into that Rest, lest anyone fall after the {{same example of disobedience}}.

1 Corinthians 10:11-12 (EWEB) 11 Now all these things happened to them by way of example, and they were written for our admonition, on whom the ends of the ages have come. 12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands be careful that he does not fall.

Luke 21:34-36 (WEB) Jesus warning his disciples 34 “So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly. 35 For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth. 36 Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

And God hardened some of them, foreclosing on their freewill choice. You need to come to grips with this. God took away their free will to repent.

I am the one teaching you from God’s Word that God hardens, even the Elect Israel, in punishment for not listening to him. You must come to grips with that, because you believe that one must be born again first before he can believe. I quote you:

CadyandZoe said: We don't have the power to believe and remain which is why God must pour out his Spirit into our hearts. We must be born again, and he is the agent of our rebirth, not us.

From your own words, we see that there is no need for God to harden anyone if they already were unable to believe to begin with unless being born again.

setst777 said: Israel is God's Elect people, the apple of His eye; yet, they refused to listen to his instruction again and again.

Jeremiah 32:33 They have turned their back to Me and not their face; though "I taught them," teaching again and again, they would not "listen" and "receive instruction."

They resisted God's Word and God's Spirit, killing the prophets sent to them from God.

Acts 7:51-57 (WEB)
51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit! As your fathers did, so you do. 52 Which of the prophets didn’t your fathers persecute? They killed those who foretold the coming of the Righteous One, of whom you have now become betrayers and murderers.

Okay. You understand the WHY of the hardening. Now come to grips with the FACT of the hardening. God took away their ability to repent. That should bother you if you understood it.

So, now do you really understand WHY God hardened Israel? That "FACT" does not bother me, because God righteously judges Israel for refusing His grace and disobeying His word, just as I have been saying from the beginning, and showing YOU by Scripture repeatedly. Now you appear to understand this, but you will again deny it if it suits your purpose, as we will see shortly.

Last edited:

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
setst777 said: That will happen in the Millennial reign of Christ on earth. At a time in the future, Israel will turn from their sins, and then God will heal them.

No, you got it backwards. Israel will continue to remain stubbornly unrepentant UNTIL God gives them a new heart and a new spirit.

You have it backwards. I gave you the Scripture from Ezekiel, and you reject what God said.

Ezekiel 11:18-21 (WEB) 18 “‘They will come there, and they will take away all its detestable things and all its abominations from there. 19 I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh; 20 that they may walk in my statutes, and keep my ordinances, and do them. They will be my people, and I will be their God. 21 But as for them whose heart walks after the heart of their detestable things and their abominations, I will bring their way on their own heads,’ says the Lord Yahweh.”

God plainly state that for those who take away the detestable things, God will give them a new heart and new spirit. BUT, for those who continued to walk after the detestable things, God will bring it upon their own heads.

setst777 said: God desires all to be saved, but will grant the gift of eternal life to those who will believe. That is what the Scriptures teach.

You misunderstand what Paul is saying to Timothy. Paul is not saying that God desires that every person be saved. No. Paul is saying that certain types of people will not be left out.

No, you are wrong. And I proved you are wrong repeatedly and you keep ignoring; in that, God is patient, not willing that they perish, but they still have the ability to stubbornly resist God, even though God desired all to be saved, leading us to repentance.

Romans 2:4-5 ”Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,“

As you can see, God is kind and patient with all mankind, desiring us to repent, leading us to repentance, but not everyone will repent, although God patiently and kindly was leading them to repentance. All this would be hypocritical by God, if God had already planned, determined, decreed and created mankind to think and act according to His will.

Ezekiel 18:23 Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked?” says the Lord Yahweh; “and not rather that he should return from his way, and live?

Ezekiel 33:11
Tell them, ‘“As I live,” says the Lord Yahweh, “I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why will you die oh house of Israel?”’

How often have I quoted these Scriptures to you and you keep ignoring and resisting God, although He teaches you again and again, just as the Scriptures state as follows:

Jeremiah 32:33 They have turned their back to Me and not their face; though "I taught them," teaching again and again, they would not "listen" and "receive instruction."

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
setst777 said: God hardens in punishment those who continually refuse His grace.

No. God hardens those who he wishes. Grace is when he unhardens them.

You just said earlier, you agreed that God hardens in judgment, in the dialogue as follows:

------------

setst777 said: Israel is God's Elect people, the apple of His eye; yet, they refused to listen to his instruction again and again.

They resisted God's Word and God's Spirit, killing the prophets sent to them from God.

Acts 7:51-57 (WEB)
51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit! As your fathers did, so you do. 52 Which of the prophets didn’t your fathers persecute? They killed those who foretold the coming of the Righteous One, of whom you have now become betrayers and murderers.

CadyandZoe said: Okay. You understand the WHY of the hardening. Now come to grips with the FACT of the hardening. God took away their ability to repent. That should bother you if you understood it.

------------

God does not harden anyone to begin with, unless they keep refusing His grace. Do you not agree that mankind is unable to believe unless God regenerated them by the indwelling Spirit? Yes you do. I quoted you earlier, and again, since you have such a poor memory.

CadyandZoe said: We don't have the power to believe and remain which is why God must pour out his Spirit into our hearts. We must be born again, and he is the agent of our rebirth, not us.

Why does God harden anyone if they are unable to believe unless regenerated first? ANSWER the QUESTION. Stop evading.

God always hardens those who deserve to be hardened, and he can use that hardening to work for his purposes.

Jeremiah 16:10-13 (WEB) 10 It will happen, when you tell this people all these words, and they ask you,

Why has Yahweh pronounced all this great evil against us?’ or

What is our iniquity?’ or

What is our sin that we have committed against Yahweh our God?

11 then you shall tell them, ‘Because your fathers have forsaken me,’ says Yahweh, ‘and have walked after other gods, have served them, have worshiped them, have forsaken me, and have not kept my law. 12 You have done evil more than your fathers, for behold, you each walk after the stubbornness of his evil heart, so that you don’t listen to me. 13 Therefore I will cast you out of this land into the land that you have not known, neither you nor your fathers. There you will serve other gods day and night, for I will show you no favor.’

Romans 1:22-28 (WEB) 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 and traded the glory of the incorruptible God for the likeness of an image of corruptible man, and of birds, four-footed animals, and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to uncleanness, that their bodies should be dishonored among themselves; 25 who exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this reason, God gave them up to vile passions. For their women changed the natural function into that which is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural function of the woman, burned in their lust toward one another, men doing what is inappropriate with men, and receiving in themselves the due penalty of their error.
28 Even as they refused to have God in their knowledge,
God gave them up to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not fitting

Romans 2:4-6 (WEB) 4 Or do you despise the riches of his goodness, forbearance, and patience, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But according to your hardness and unrepentant heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath, revelation, and of the righteous judgment of God; 6 who “will pay back to everyone according to their works:” [Psalm 62:12; Proverbs 24:12]

setst777 said: God shows us all through the Scriptures, by his commands, warnings, admonitions, and teaching, that he is leaving the choice up to each individual to believe. For God's part, he desires to save all people.

That isn't true. Your conclusion isn't supported by the scriptures. Does God warn, yes. Does his warning imply or infer that the choice is left to them? No.

If you are going to continue to discredit God and His Word, I will no longer dialogue with you. I warn you.

God, in His kindness, tolerance, and patience, is leading everyone to repentance, which means that God is not selective in whom he is leading to repentance. However, many do resist.

Romans 2:4-5 ”Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,“

As you can see, God is kind and patient with all mankind, desiring us to repent, leading us to repentance, but not everyone will repent, although God patiently and kindly was leading them to repentance.

I know you want to say that God hardens people because they deserve it, and this makes it easier to deal with the FACT that God hardens people. But let the FACT do it's work. What does it MEAN for God to harden a man? It means that that man can NO longer make a free will choice to repent. That should upset you. It upsets everyone who wakes up to the significance of that truth.

That should upset you, because you are the one who believes that no one can believe unless they are born again first. Why would God need to harden anyone so they cannot repent and believe if they were already incapable of repenting and believing unless being made alive by the indwelling Spirit first?

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,
Someone asked me to begin a thread about the Reformed doctrine summarized by Calvinists as TULIP

Here is what I said earlier

Calvin's followers have summarized his teaching with the pneumonic acronym TULIP

T = Total depravity
U = Unconditional Election
L = Limited Atonement
I = Irresistible Grace
P = Perseverance of the Saints.

This theological perspective seeks to answer the question, "How much does man participate in his (or her) salvation?" Both Theologians and Bible students seek a balance between two principles: 1) God's sovereignty and 2) Man's responsibility. Calvinists maintain that salvation is by grace alone and, therefore, man has little to do with being saved. Those who are being saved are the victims of God's grace, if I can put it that way.

Please feel free to comment. You can agree, or disagree, or if you like, simply ask questions for others to answer. I am not an expert on these, though I can respond to "easy" questions about the doctrine. I would need to take a deeper dive into the subject and read some Reformed web sites to familiarize myself in what the doctrine teaches.

I am, however, very well-versed in the Biblical text from where such doctrines are derived.

Anyway, may those who participate in this thread be blessed and bless others. :)
I am joining this conversation late so please pardon if I reeat many others thoughts.

I am conivinced that TULIP is the biblical answer versus the five points of Jacob Armenius. this is the argument. Either Calvin is biblical in all or some or Jacob Armenius is biblical in all or some.

But a quick summation is:

T man is as fallen as he can be. He is not as evil as he can be but is as bad off eternally as he can be in his natural state.

U man has to do nothing in advance ot be saved by this it is meant, clean up their act, join a sect, start leading a religious life etc.

L- Jesus is the propitiation of the sins of the world, but only the elect receive the benefit of jesus death.

I Jesus said it best:
John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

P simply put- when a person gets saved- they are saved forever.

Man iun his natural state is unable, unwilling and incapable of choosing God. The flesh cannot d anything that pleases god (Rom 8) and receiving Jesus is something that pleases God, so the human nature will never receive Jesus unless acted upon by god.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing contrary about it, as that was Paul's customary way of teaching the Gospel.
I didn't say it was contrary. I said that Paul is not making reference to Jeremiah. He is making is own potter analogy. The potter analogy in Jeremiah has a different meaning than the potter analogy in Romans =
If Paul was using the Potter and Clay analogy differently than what God gave, then Paul would lose all credibility in his argument,
No, that isn't true.
because no one would accept what Paul says just because he said it.
We accept what Paul says because he is speaking for Jesus Christ. THAT is what it means to be an apostle.
That is why, when reasoning with the Jews, Paul backed up what he said by the OT Scriptures.
Yes, he made reference to the OT. But not in this case.
:

SETST RE: Instead of just saying you gave proof, why don’t you at least list the verse(s) that you think proves your point?
I did that. Not only did I give you scripture verses, I quoted each passage and gave a commentary. I think you must have missed it or ignored it. I'm not going to give them to you again.
God gives all people the ability to believe, otherwise no one could believe in anything; but God reasons with, commands, admonishes, instructs, urges and pleads with us to repent and believe, which shows that God does not just give faith to some by the indwelling Spirit, and the rest he leaves in unbelief; rather, God patiently leads us to repentance, but we can still resist God.
Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise for the reasons I already stated. We aren't talking about the ability to believe. We are talking about the ability to remain. Endurance in belief is a gift of God. Romans 5, 1 Peter 1, James 1.
I gave you “Galatians 6:7-9” as my evidence that the faith of Born Again Christians is not guaranteed; rather, every true believer must sow to the Spirit to receive eternal life from the Spirit - but you ignored it.

Galatians 6:7-9 (Writing to the Church in Galatia) 7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows [continuous sowing] to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows [continuous sowing] to please the Spirit, {{{from the Spirit}}} will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest {{{IF}}} WE (believers) do not give up.
The passage you cited doesn't speak to the issue.
That is my point. The Christian’s Faith must be continuous to the end to be granted eternal life. Salvation is guaranteed only to those who remain in the faith. Many will not endure in THE FAITH to the end.
And according to three different apostles, God Guarantees endurance of belief to all those whom he has chosen.
These are only some Passages out of many I already quoted for you that teach us that genuine believers (disciples) of Christ can fall away.
No, they warn us not to fall away. So do and some don't. Those that don't are those who have been born again, and been granted the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And according to three different Apostles, God guarantees endurance to all those whom he has chosen.
That is why Lord Jesus instructs us to endure to the end to be saved.
The command to endure does not necessitate a chance probability of falling away by everyone. Again, some will endure to the end others won't. The essential factor that assures endurance is God's power exerted within the hearts of those whom he chose.
You gave “1 Peter 1:3-7” as your evidence, but these verses say that we are kept by the power of God THROUGH faith. No Scripture teaches that the power of God guarantees endurance. Your argument is invalid.
How is it invalid? If God is keeping a man through faith, and God is the one who causes the faith to endure, then Scripture teaches that God guarantees endurance. You have no scriptural basis to conclude that individual human effort accounts for endurance. In the Parable of the sower, the seed grows and endures because it fell in the good soil. And who prepared the soil? The farmer.

There is no guarantee that we will not give up, because many do give up.
The guarantee only applies to those whom God has chosen.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If what you say is true, then you would have at least listed the vers(s); instead, you fabricate your own words as if they were God's Word right to His face. And everyone on this board can see exactly what you are doing, since these messages last forever, they are permanent.
Here is where I explicated 1 Peter.

Here is where I explicated Romans 5
I am not confused; rather, you are evading having to face the truth once again. You are the one who said that the born-again experience is when the Spirit is poured out before they can believe. My quotes show that a person is born again because they do believe.
Correlation is not causation. Just because two things happen together doesn't mean one caused the other. I read the passages you quoted. They didn't make the point you want to make. You want to prove the causal relationship between belief and being born again, but the passages you quote only demonstrate that there is a correlation between them. I explicated two passages that demonstrate a causal relationship between endurance and God, who pours out his spirit into our hearts.

I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you
The word "by" does not always indicate a cause. Some events are coincident. Contrary to what some might think, Paul is not suggesting that faith is the means by which we attain the Spirit. Rather, Paul is saying that God gives us the Spirit and works miracles among us on the occasion of "a hearing*" which we believe. Our faith is not the cause of our being granted the Spirit; Our faith is the result of our being granted the Spirit, and it typically occurs at "a hearing."

-----------
You give no Scripture that plainly states that God uses his power to maintain the belief of those whom he chose; so, your argument is a direct attack on God and His Word. Your argument is invalid.
I gave it before and I gave it above.
Once again, you say “according to Peter.” But you even misrepresent Peter, just as you misrepresent Paul and God himself.
Do I misrepresent them? I don't think so. See my explications in my earlier posts.

In Romans 5, for example, Paul says that hope will not disappoint. How can he know that about me, personally? Is he a prophet? Was he speaking directly to ME personally. No, not really. But he does give me the specific circumstances under which it will always be true that hope will not disappoint.

In your view, Paul can never legitimately say that hope will not disappoint. All Paul can say is that hope might disappoint or it might not disappoint. Since salvation is conditional, belief is a necessary condition of salvation, and that condition must be met by the human subject, then salvation is always potential and never actual.

Contrary to your perspective Paul specifies certain criteria under which, if true and present, guarantees a desired outcome. Specifically he says that we glory in our tribulations because tribulation brings about perseverance. Here the Apostle emphasizes the role of tribulation to cause the desired perseverance. But you might say, "tribulation doesn't always bring about perseverance." And right you say, which is why Paul qualifies his statement, noting the efficacy of the Holy Spirit to effect the desired outcome. Why does our faith endure? What guarantees our endurance? The Holy Spirit is poured out into our hearts.

No Scripture ever states that God uses his power to keep us from falling away; rather, we are warned to be careful, lest we fall away.
The presence of warnings doesn't mean that God never removes the contingency. According to Peter, Paul, and James, God removes the contingency from those whom he has chosen, by means of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

If if belief precedes rebirth, we are talking about endurance. Not all those who believe will remain. But all those whom God graces with his holy Spirit WILL endure -- guaranteed.
I am the one teaching you from God’s Word that God hardens, even the Elect Israel, in punishment for not listening to him.
And that doesn't bother you?
You must come to grips with that, because you believe that one must be born again first before he can believe.
We are talking about endurance. That is the issue. If I said that someone must be born again before they believe, then I misspoke. That isn't true. The parable of the sower depicts four different kinds of soils. Only one kind of soil leads to perseverance in belief. The farmer (God) is the one who prepared the soil.

I quote you:

From your own words, we see that there is no need for God to harden anyone if they already were unable to believe to begin with unless being born again.
If you grant me another look you will see that I was talking about the power "to believe and remain." I meant for the reader to take them as a pair. We are talking about the apostolic teaching concerning endurance in faith. We want to know why some remain while others fall away. According to the Apostles, the situation that accounts for endurance is divine super intention.
I get that. What I don't get is why you think this is okay given your perspective.
So, now do you really understand WHY God hardened Israel?
The reason why God hardens people was NEVER in doubt.
That "FACT" does not bother me, because God righteously judges Israel for refusing His grace and disobeying His word, just as I have been saying from the beginning, and showing YOU by Scripture repeatedly. Now you appear to understand this, but you will again deny it if it suits your purpose, as we will see shortly.
And again, I ask you why you think this is okay from your perspective. Or do you not understand what it means to be "hardened"?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God plainly state that for those who take away the detestable things, God will give them a new heart and new spirit.
I don't agree with your interpretation of the Ezekiel passage for the following reason. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit is given as the explanation and occasion for Israel's sudden willingness to obey the Law and turn away from idolatry.

Ezekiel 11:19-20
And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them. And I will take the heart of stone out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, that they may walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances and do them.

that they may walk in my statues . . .
The word "that" is used to indicate purpose in this context. The goal is to walk in the statutes and keep the ordinances. The means to achieve this goal is through a spiritual heart transplant. The giving of a new heart is the condition for obedience and the high valuation of the ordinances.

New heart is first.

No, you are wrong. And I proved you are wrong repeatedly and you keep ignoring; in that, God is patient, not willing that they perish, but they still have the ability to stubbornly resist God, even though God desired all to be saved, leading us to repentance.
Your proof is invalid because you misinterpreted the Timothy passage. Paul is not saying, as you suggest, that God is not willing that "anyone" should perish. In that context, the point is centered on Rulers and anyone in authority. Paul wants us to pray for all kinds of people and not ignore kings, and rulers etc.
As you can see, God is kind and patient with all mankind, desiring us to repent, leading us to repentance, but not everyone will repent, although God patiently and kindly was leading them to repentance. All this would be hypocritical by God, if God had already planned, determined, decreed and created mankind to think and act according to His will.
If God were a man, I would agree with you. But God is a creator, and for this reason, according to Paul, God is not unjust when he decrees that a particular man will be evil and suffer judgment.
How often have I quoted these Scriptures to you and you keep ignoring and resisting God . . .
I am not ignoring them. I believe them for what they say. Our disagreement centers on the conclusion you have drawn from them.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just said earlier, you agreed that God hardens in judgment . . .
I am taking my cues from Paul's argument. In Romans 9, he emphatically writes, "He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires." (Romans 9:18)

The point is, his reason for hardening someone isn't the issue. The FACT that he hardens some while having mercy on others should bother you. If it doesn't then please spend the requisite time to understand the profound implications of what Paul said.

First of all, you should know that ALL of us need God's mercy. So we ALL deserve to be hardened under your view. The fact that God hardens some but not others should be an issue for your view.

Moreover, what does it mean to be "hardened" if not a foreclosure on repentance? I'm surprised this doesn't bother you. When God hardens someone, he prevents them from repentance. Once he hardens a person, that person is excluded from redemption and salvation. (Romans 11:7)

In this text, Paul explains that although some individual Jews found justification, Israel (as a collective) did not find it. This was because God had hardened the hearts of some of them, preventing them from repenting. This fact may pose a challenge to your perspective.

The question isn't why does God harden some people. The question is why does he not harden all of us?

God does not harden anyone to begin with, unless they keep refusing His grace.
Why not? We all deserve to be hardened right? Paul says he doesn't harden some of us out of mercy. Why does he have mercy on some and not on others? In order to understand the profundity of the question, we must resist our tendency to think that we -- somehow -- deserve his mercy. Do we? I don't think so.
Do you not agree that mankind is unable to believe unless God regenerated them by the indwelling Spirit? Yes you do. I quoted you earlier, and again, since you have such a poor memory.
The question is why do some believe and not other, and more importantly, why do some endure in belief while others do not? The Apostles teach that endurance itself is a gift of God and the gift is a work of HIS power.
God always hardens those who deserve to be hardened, and he can use that hardening to work for his purposes.
We all deserve it. The difficulty you face is explaining why it is okay for God to prevent someone from repenting and exclude them from redemption.
If you are going to continue to discredit God and His Word, I will no longer dialogue with you. I warn you.
If one isn't able to tell the difference between God's word and our understanding of God's word then why do we dialogue at all? My argument isn't with God or is it? That's the question. You say my argument is with God and yet, since you are not a prophet, then it's all the same. We are exchanging our points of view with each other, which we are free to accept or reject.
God, in His kindness, tolerance, and patience, is leading everyone to repentance, which means that God is not selective in whom he is leading to repentance.
Why do you believe that the latter necessarily follows from the former?
That should upset you, because you are the one who believes that no one can believe unless they are born again first. Why would God need to harden anyone so they cannot repent and believe if they were already incapable of repenting and believing unless being made alive by the indwelling Spirit first?
I never said that we were incapable of belief. I argue that Perseverance is a gift of God. The only people who can be assured that God is saving them are those people who have suffered trials of faith and endured. The proven faith will always endure.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am joining this conversation late so please pardon if I reeat many others thoughts.
Welcome.
I am conivinced that TULIP is the biblical answer versus the five points of Jacob Armenius. this is the argument. Either Calvin is biblical in all or some or Jacob Armenius is biblical in all or some.

But a quick summation is:

T man is as fallen as he can be. He is not as evil as he can be but is as bad off eternally as he can be in his natural state.

U man has to do nothing in advance ot be saved by this it is meant, clean up their act, join a sect, start leading a religious life etc.

L- Jesus is the propitiation of the sins of the world, but only the elect receive the benefit of jesus death.

I Jesus said it best:
John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

P simply put- when a person gets saved- they are saved forever.

Man iun his natural state is unable, unwilling and incapable of choosing God. The flesh cannot d anything that pleases god (Rom 8) and receiving Jesus is something that pleases God, so the human nature will never receive Jesus unless acted upon by god.
I agree with your review. :)

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am taking my cues from Paul's argument. In Romans 9, he emphatically writes, "He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires." (Romans 9:18)

That's the claim that God is a monster and he decides even before a person is born to assign them to hell.

It's the deceitfulness of sin that the Lord allows to harden some people because God is not mocked, what we sow is what we reap. Those engaging in sinful behavior become hardened in heart and their minds are darkened.

Hebrews 3:13
But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

It's absolutely false doctrine to teach or believe that the Lord assigns some people to burn in hell before they are ever born, before they have ever even had the opportunity to sin or be involved in wrong doing.

Those teaching this falsehood about the Lord are engaged in heresy which is named as one of the works of the flesh that cause people to not inherit the Kingdom (not go to Heaven when they die)

Galatians 5:19
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that
they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say it was contrary. I said that Paul is not making reference to Jeremiah. He is making is own potter analogy. The potter analogy in Jeremiah has a different meaning than the potter analogy in Romans =

No, that isn't true.

We accept what Paul says because he is speaking for Jesus Christ. THAT is what it means to be an apostle.

Being an Apostle does not mean Paul can write his Epistles without OT prophecy to back up what he is teaching. Paul gave evidence from the OT Scriptures for everything he was teaching the Church, and more so for the Jewish population.

I did that. Not only did I give you scripture verses, I quoted each passage and gave a commentary. I think you must have missed it or ignored it. I'm not going to give them to you again.

You rarely gave verses for anything. Most of the time, all you did is give vague references to a chapter of a book, or say that an unidentified apostle said this or that. Instead of using vague references, I actually quoted the Scripture verses for you.

Just giving a blanket statement that the quotes and vague references you gave prove everything you stated would never hold up in any court, or in any school.

Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise for the reasons I already stated. We aren't talking about the ability to believe. We are talking about the ability to remain. Endurance in belief is a gift of God. Romans 5, 1 Peter 1, James 1.

Here you give more vague references. Where, in "Romans 5, 1 Peter 1, James 1" does it plainly teach that endurance in belief is a gift of God?

You wrote as follows:

CadyandZoe said: That's right. Peter tells you that the power of God guarantees endurance.

Here is what Peter actually taught regarding endurance:

1 Peter 1:9 (NIV) 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

2 Peter 1:8-11 (WEB) 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to not be idle or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is blind, seeing only what is near, having forgotten {{{the cleansing from his old sins}}}. 10 Therefore, {{{brothers and sisters}}}, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble. 11 For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the Eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 3:17 (WEB) 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing these things beforehand, beware, lest being carried away with the error of the wicked, you fall from your own steadfastness.

No Passage states that God guarantees that we will endure in the faith to the end; rather, they teach throughout the responsibility of the Christians to endure in the faith to be saved. All these Passages are warnings and admonition for Christians, not false believers.

Revelation 3:11 (WEB) 11 Hold firmly that which you have, so that no one takes your crown.

Matthew 24:11-13 (WEB) 11 Many false prophets will arise and will lead many astray. 12 Because iniquity will be multiplied, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Luke 21:19 (WEB) 19 By your endurance you will win your lives.

Luke 21:34-36 (WEB) 36 Therefore, be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

James 1:12 (WEB) 12 Blessed is a person who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to those who love him.

1 Timothy 4:16 (Writing to Timothy) 16 Pay attention to yourself and to your teaching. Continue in these things, for in doing this you will save yourself and those who hear (listen to) you.

1 Timothy 1:19 (WEB) 19 “holding faith and a good conscience, which some having thrust away “made a shipwreck” (Greek: enauagēsan) concerning {{{the faith}}}

The faith being discussed is not a false faith, but a genuine faith – {{{THE}}} Faith. “THE” is a definite article, showing that the faith being discussed is the genuine faith of the Gospel.

1 Timothy 4:1 (WEB) 1 But the Spirit says expressly that in later times some will fall away from {{{the faith}}}, paying attention to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons

1 Timothy 6:20 (WEB) Timothy, guard that which is committed to you, turning away from the empty chatter and oppositions of what is falsely called knowledge, 21 which some profess, and thus have wandered from {{{the faith}}}.

How is it invalid? If God is keeping a man through faith, and God is the one who causes the faith to endure, then Scripture teaches that God guarantees endurance. You have no scriptural basis to conclude that individual human effort accounts for endurance. In the Parable of the sower, the seed grows and endures because it fell in the good soil. And who prepared the soil? The farmer.

Salvation is guaranteed to those who believe. That is the theme that is repeated throughout the NT.

The guarantee only applies to those whom God has chosen.

You throw in "chosen" as if the Bible interprets "chosen" like you do, but you give no Scripture proof. Those God chooses to save are those who believe, according to all the Scriptures. I think you would have to agree with that, since you now say that we must believe first to be saved and so we can endure.

The believers are the Chosen of God whom Paul and Peter were writing to. Were Paul and Peter writing to the unbelievers or believers in Christ to instruct them?

You gave no Scripture that teaches that being "chosen" means that God causes you to believe and remain faithful by the indwelling Spirit.

The Promise and Grace of God is by faith, the same faith Abraham had in God.

Romans 4:16 (NIV) 16 …the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring.

John 3:16 (WEB) 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life

Last edited:

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is where I explicated 1 Peter.... 1 Peter 1:3-7 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

Question: Where in "1 Peter 1:3-7" does it teach that God gives us faith or endurance?

You have stated, being born again is when the Spirit is poured out into your heart so we can believe and remain faithful. I quote you:

[Bolding and underlining are mine in the first quote]

CadyandZoe said: Yes, as long as we understand the logical order of justification.
1. God pours out his Spirit into our hearts first. (One must be born again.)
2. When we encounter God's promise, we respond in faith, believing the gospel.

We don't have the power to believe and remain which is why God must pour out his Spirit into our hearts. We must be born again, and he is the agent of our rebirth, not us.

CadyandZoe said:
The word "by" does not always indicate a cause. Some events are coincident. Contrary to what some might think, Paul is not suggesting that faith is the means by which we attain the Spirit. Rather, Paul is saying that God gives us the Spirit and works miracles among us on the occasion of "a hearing*" which we believe. Our faith is not the cause of our being granted the Spirit; Our faith is the result of our being granted the Spirit, and it typically occurs at "a hearing."

Contrary to your belief that "our faith is the result of our being granted the Holy Spirit, the Scriptures teach us that The Spirit will only indwell a person to give life who first believes (John 7:37-39), and this only occurred after the Resurrection of Lord Jesus, according to the Apostle Peter:

1 Peter 1:3-7 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead

We, in the NT, after Lord Jesus was resurrected, receive the Spirit by faith, not so we can believe

John 7:37-38 (WEB) 37 Now on the last and greatest day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink! 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.

Ephesians 1:13 In him you also, having heard the word of the truth, the Good News of your salvation - in whom, having also believed, you were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit

I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard?

Galatians 3:14
That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit {{{through faith}}}.

Here is where I explicated Romans 5....
Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Just like for "1 Peter 1:3-7," I gave you a detailed Scripture response to "Romans 5:1-5."

Question: Who are the ones that God justifies in "Romans 5:1?"
Answer: God justifies the ones who have faith, just like God justified Abraham because of his faith.

Romans 4:3 (WEB) 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” [Genesis 15:6]

Question: Who are the ones who gain access to God's grace in "Romans 5:2?"
Answer: Those who have {{{faith}}} gain access to God's grace.

Romans 5:2 (WEB) 2 through whom we also have our access {{{by faith}}} into {{{this grace}}} in which we stand. We rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Question: Where in "Romans 5:1-5" does it teach that God gives us faith or endurance?
Answer: No where in "Romans 5:1-5" does it teach that God gives us faith or endurance.

Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise for the reasons I already stated. We aren't talking about the ability to believe. We are talking about the ability to remain. Endurance in belief is a gift of God. Romans 5, 1 Peter 1, James 1.Here is where I explicated Romans 5....

How does it not follow, when I was addressing your statements as follows:

CadyandZoe said: Our faith is not the cause of our being granted the Spirit; Our faith is the result of our being granted the Spirit, and it typically occurs at "a hearing."

CadyandZoe said: Yes, as long as we understand the logical order of justification.
1. God pours out his Spirit into our hearts first. (One must be born again.)
2. When we encounter God's promise, we respond in faith, believing the gospel.

Last edited:

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And according to three different apostles, God Guarantees endurance of belief to all those whom he has chosen.

I will show you what the Apostles actually taught; though, I am not sure I know who the other two Apostles are that you speak of.

The Christians are admonished to remain in the faith to be saved:

1 Peter 1:9 (ENIV) 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

2 Peter 1:8-11 (WEB) 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to not be idle or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is blind, seeing only what is near, having forgotten {{{the cleansing from his old sins}}}. 10 Therefore, {{{brothers and sisters}}}, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble. 11 For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the Eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 3:17 (WEB) 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing these things beforehand, beware, lest being carried away with the error of the wicked, you fall from your own steadfastness.

None of the Apostles taught that God guarantees that we will endure in the faith to the end; rather, they teach that the responsibility to endure in the faith is completely upon each Christian. All these Passages from all the Apostolic Writers of the NT are warnings and admonition for Christians, not false believers.

Revelation 3:11 (Lord Jesus Instructing His disciples) 11 Hold firmly that which you have, so that no one takes your crown.

Matthew 24:11-13 (Lord Jesus Instructing His disciples) 11 Many false prophets will arise and will lead many astray. 12 Because iniquity will be multiplied, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end will be saved.

Luke 21:19 (Lord Jesus Instructing His disciples)19 By your endurance you will win your lives.

Luke 21:34-36 (Lord Jesus Instructing His disciples) 36 Therefore, be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

James 1:12-16 (James instructing the Church) 12 Blessed is a person who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to those who love him... 16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.

1 Timothy 4:16 (Paul admonishing Timothy) 16 Pay attention to yourself and to your teaching. Continue in these things, for in doing this you will save yourself and those who hear (listen to) you.

Jude 1:21 (Jude instructing the Church) Keep yourselves in God’s love, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.

1 John 1:24-25 (John admonishing the Church) 24 Therefore, as for you, let that remain in you which you heard from the beginning. If that which you heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son, and in the Father. 25 This is The Promise which he promised us [those who remain in the faith], the Eternal Life.

The faith being discussed is not a false faith, but a genuine faith – {{{THE}}} Faith. “THE” is a definite article, showing that the faith being discussed is the genuine faith of the Gospel.

1 Timothy 1:19 (Paul Instructing Timothy) 19 “holding faith and a good conscience, which some having thrust away “made a shipwreck” (Greek: enauagēsan) concerning {{{the faith}}}

1 Timothy 4:1 (Paul Instructing Timothy and his Church) 1 But the Spirit says expressly that in later times some will fall away from {{{the faith}}}, paying attention to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons

1 Timothy 6:20 (Paul Instructing Timothy and his Church) 1Timothy, guard that which is committed to you, turning away from the empty chatter and oppositions of what is falsely called knowledge, 21 which some profess, and thus have wandered from {{{the faith}}}.

Very poor attempt to make God's Word say just the opposite of what it actually states. I never quoted Galatians 3:5, so your argument is invalid.

A person receives the Holy Spirit by believing, period.
We receive the Spirit by faith, not so we can believe

John 7:37-38 (WEB) 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.

That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit {{{through faith}}}.

By believing we receive the Spirit. You believe we must receive the Spirit so we can believe, but that is not what the Scriptures teach.

I quote you:

Your doctrine does not even make sense. Why would God harden someone when they already cannot believe unless the being indwelt by the Holy Spirit???

Here is what you wrote in your latest post to me:

CadyandZoe said: Our faith is not the cause of our being granted the Spirit; Our faith is the result of our being granted the Spirit, and it typically occurs at "a hearing."

If you grant me another look you will see that I was talking about the power "to believe and remain." I meant for the reader to take them as a pair. We are talking about the apostolic teaching concerning endurance in faith. We want to know why some remain while others fall away. According to the Apostles, the situation that accounts for endurance is divine super intention.

You did not mean that at all.

You clearly explain what you meant in your latest post, as follows.

So, now you are saying that the Spirit does not give us the power to believe? All along, including in your recent posts, you were saying God is the creator of our faith and all our choices, and for the destiny he already predestined for us. Now, after all this argument, you want to deny it all, as if by amnesia.

We all deserve it. The difficulty you face is explaining why it is okay for God to prevent someone from repenting and exclude them from redemption.

That was sufficiently explained. God desires to have mercy on all (Romans 11:32), just like God did with Israel all through Israel's history. However, God's patience has limits, just as God explains in His dealing with Israel. Paul's use of the "Potter and the Clay" is the same as God's use of it in Jeremiah 18, although Paul does not give the details in that section of Romans 9, but if you keep reading Romans 9 (See: Romans 9:30-33, and Romans 1:22-28), you will see that it was the Jew's continued lack of faith that caused God to harden them.

God gives us reasons why he forms someone for noble or ignoble purpose, and that all depends on whether the sinner will resist or repents (Jeremiah 18:1-12; 2 Timothy 2:19-22).

Last edited:

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't agree with your interpretation of the Ezekiel passage for the following reason. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit is given as the explanation and occasion for Israel's sudden willingness to obey the Law and turn away from idolatry.

Ezekiel 11:19-20
And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them. And I will take the heart of stone out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, that they may walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances and do them.

that they may walk in my statues . . .
The word "that" is used to indicate purpose in this context. The goal is to walk in the statutes and keep the ordinances. The means to achieve this goal is through a spiritual heart transplant. The giving of a new heart is the condition for obedience and the high valuation of the ordinances.

New heart is first.

There is a difference between renouncing the detestable things (repentance), and being able to walk in God's statutes and keep His ordinances.

We have to genuinely believe first, a commitment to obey Lord Jesus, before we receive life from the indwelling Spirit.

John 7:37-38 (WEB) 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.

True Faith, by which we receive the Spirit, always includes repentance, by which renounce evil and commit to obey Lord Jesus, following him.

John 14:15-16 (WEB) 15 If you love me, keep my commandments. 16 I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, that he may be with you forever: 17 the Spirit of truth

John 14:23
(WEB) 23 Jesus answered him, “If a man loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him.

Acts 5:32 (WEB) 32 We are his witnesses of these things; and so also is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.

What Ezekiel is teaching us is that we must first repent - a commitment to renounce evil and to follow Lord Jesus. When we do so, the Spirit indwells us to give us the ability to walk in His statutes that we committed to when we first believed.

Repentance and Faith work together.

Repentance, as it pertains to salvation, means a change of mind and purpose, a commitment to renounce evil and to put our faith in Jesus as our Lord whom we now commit to follow. When we do this, then God indwells us by His Spirit to guide our faith to victory over sin, but only as we remain in the faith, diligent to walk by the Spirit that indwells us, which is an obligation for all Christians (Romans 8:3-4; Romans 8:12-14; Galatians 5:24-25; Galatians 6:7-9).

Romans 8:12-14 (NIV) [Written for Christians] 12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, {{we}} have an obligation – but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. 14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Romans 8:3-4 (WEB) [Written for Christians] 3 For what the law couldn’t do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh; 4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us,
{{{{who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.}}}}

Galatians 5:24-25 (WEB) [Written for Christians] 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Galatians 6:7-9 (Writing to the Church in Galatia) 7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows [continuous sowing] to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows [continuous sowing] to please the Spirit, {{{from the Spirit}}} will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if WE (believers) do not give up.

1 Thessalonians 4:7-8 (To the Christians in Thessalonica) 7 For God called us not for uncleanness, but in sanctification. 8 Therefore he who rejects this doesn’t reject man, but God, who has also given his Holy Spirit to you.

So, are you saying that God must first give you a new heart and a new spirit so you can repent and believe?

Your proof is invalid because you misinterpreted the Timothy passage. Paul is not saying, as you suggest, that God is not willing that "anyone" should perish. In that context, the point is centered on Rulers and anyone in authority. Paul wants us to pray for all kinds of people and not ignore kings, and rulers etc.

If God were a man, I would agree with you. But God is a creator, and for this reason, according to Paul, God is not unjust when he decrees that a particular man will be evil and suffer judgment.

I am not ignoring them. I believe them for what they say. Our disagreement centers on the conclusion you have drawn from them.

God is not willing that "anyone" should perish, even those who remain in wickedness.

As you can see, God is kind and patient with all mankind, desiring us to repent, leading us to repentance, but not everyone will repent, although God patiently and kindly is leading all mankind to repentance. All this would be hypocritical by God, if God had already planned, determined, decreed and created mankind to think and act according to His will.