understanding Paul

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you must be doing better than Peter then, who did say that Paul was somewhat difficult. Don't you believe the Bible?

What do you think? What is the meaning to the question?

Peter did not say you can't understand Paul. He's hard to understand. Unstable and unlearned twist his words to their own destruction. Peter didn't say he couldn't understand Paul either. I find both to be true.

And just the same, seek and you will find, knock, and the door will be opened. When we seek the Lord for understanding, this transcends the fleshy limitations in trying to understand God's Word.

Much love!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm coming to realize we are on two very different tracks here.

Are you talking about the Gnosticism of NT times?

I'm talking about Gnostic Dualism, such as Paul and John both dealt with. Manichaeism is a Persian religion that exemplifies this dualism, depicting the material world as evil, and a spiritual world as good.

1 Tim 4.1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

Col 2.9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness....
16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.
20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

1 John 1. That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. 2 The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. 3 We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4 We write this to make our joy complete.

Both Paul and John asserted that Jesus is a very real manifestation of God and His goodness, with the implication that in receiving his Spirit we also can manifest God's authentic goodness, as opposed to poor imitations of Him by men who cover sins over with legalistic works. Christians are called not just to do good deeds, but more, to exhibit a nature that conveys the presence of God. And it is this divine presence that is denied by the pagan world when they reject Christ and attempt to be spiritual by avoiding material realities.

They don't really dispose of their sins--they just ignore them or marginalize them. And their spirituality is a false mix of righteousness and carnality, which conveys a fallen nature not capable of redemption. It is like trying to appear to be a "good person," doing some nice things, while also admitting that is normal for all to indulge in immorality, or simply passing off such moral failings as "normal."

Conveying God's true character is a matter not just of doing good works, but more, showing divine holiness. To do that requires that we adopt a New Nature, which is one of my major points. Unless we adopt a new nature, and choose to make spiritual decisions to live by it, the world will not recognize a change in our character, and will not come to "see God."

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
That is completely, absolutely, and finally false! ;)
That you're wrong is easily provable. I need only provide a single verse here.

Psalm 119.1 Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord.

You verse does not say the Law Keeper is Blessed.
As a matter of fact, if you read Philippians 3, you will find that Paul walked according to the Law, and was ""blameless in the law"", kept them all, and said that this achieved no righteousness and was futile, and in fact he described all self effort, commandment keeping, or law keeping, to try to be accepted by God, or to try to be righteous = is "DUNG".
So, you are teaching the opposite. You are crediting what can't provide righteousness, with providing it.
Listen, get rid of your commentaries as they are ruining your understanding of the NT.

"blessed are those whose ways are blameless". This is not describing keeping the law.
Notice... = "who walk according to the law of the Lord".
The "Law of the Lord" is not the Law, Randy, .. the "Law of the Lord" is to walk in LOVE.
Its walking in LOVE that fulfills the law..
You dont fulfill the law by keeping it, you fulfill it by LOVE.
Love= is the fulfilling of the Law.
Study your NT, Randy. Get RID of the LYING commentaries, or you will continue to be in the dark.
Im trying to help you...
-
-
Romans 13:10
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore =love is the fulfilling of the law.

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore = love is the fulfilling of the law.

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore =love is the fulfilling of the law.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
We are saved because we have chosen to live with him, in him, and through him. :) Thanks.

We are not saved because we AGREED to do something later.
You are teaching that we said to God....."ok, i agree to be good, live in Christ, and do stuff, now, can i be saved".
What is this nonsense, Randy?
God takes a person who Gives God FAITH in Christ and SAVES them... There is no downpayment or promise we make along with our faith, so that God will save us.
Salvation is a GIFT. You dont have to earn it by agreeing to do something later.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To do that requires that we adopt a New Nature, which is one of my major points. Unless we adopt a new nature, and choose to make spiritual decisions to live by it, the world will not recognize a change in our character, and will not come to "see God.
What do you mean when you say, "we must adopt a new nature"? How do we do that?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both Paul and John asserted that Jesus is a very real manifestation of God and His goodness, with the implication that in receiving his Spirit we also can manifest God's authentic goodness, as opposed to poor imitations of Him by men who cover sins over with legalistic works. Christians are called not just to do good deeds, but more, to exhibit a nature that conveys the presence of God. And it is this divine presence that is denied by the pagan world when they reject Christ and attempt to be spiritual by avoiding material realities.
I would rather say that we are called to put our trust in Jesus,so that we can be born again, and receive a new nature, that now we are to walk in.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some feel that Eze 36.26 refers to the salvation of Israel under the New Covenant. But the following has to do with the return of Israel from the Babylonian Captivity. They were to change from their previous state of idolatry to a state of fidelity to God.

Eze 11.17 “Therefore say: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will gather you from the nations and bring you back from the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you back the land of Israel again.’

18 “They will return to it and remove all its vile images and detestable idols. 19 I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. 20 Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God. 21 But as for those whose hearts are devoted to their vile images and detestable idols, I will bring down on their own heads what they have done, declares the Sovereign Lord.”

That his applied *under the Law* is even more clear here...

Eze 18.Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel?

This unmistakably indicates that under the Law God desired that Israel give up their sinful attitudes and adopt a new nature. This was a return to righteousness from a state of backsliding. In Jesus' time, Israel was in a state of backsliding, and Jesus was preparing to offer them a permanent new nature, the new life in Christ. This is salvation.

The passages you quoted are for the future New Covenant that is according to a new heart. That's not under the law. It's a prophecy. Jesus had to come to quicken people by the Spirit into new life IN Him.

So you have gone way to far with applying a new heart to the law.

The new heart is by a new birth in the Spirit...only.

An undivided heart was only possible when the veil was rent in the temple at the time of Jesus' death. The veil (parochet) was rent in the temple to make the holiest place available to all the priesthood. So likewise the circumcision of the heart allows God's love to be shed abroad in our hearts. This is not an Old Covenant event....but a new one.

Reactions: marks

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Jer 17.9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

Every man who commit a sin as disobedient of the law will be sued by the devil, that's why the sinner described in 1 Corinthians 5:1-11 was representing Ham/Hammurabi that commit adultery with his own mother that brings the child Canaan into curses (Genesis 9:18-27).
So, in Jeremiah 17:9 the term of a stone hearted was represent that every sinner will be imprisonment by Eupherate devil that worshiped by Nimrod and babylonians (Joshua 24:1-28) called Ifrit that brings lust and evil whisper inside our flesh (James 3:5-9) and brings a heavy burden heart of stone (See Ifrit description in Morocco that makes sinner's heart into stone, that's why we should not bound ourselves from wealthy/Mammon - Luke 18:18-27).
Because since the dawn of Adam & Eve every mankind had been lived under the guardian of the tree of life (Genesis 3:24), so that's why as long as we still live in this world we are still under guardian of sinful nature and every sinner will be persecuted by Babylonian kings (Ezekiel 21:18-23), because the whole world was under babylonians spiritual ruler (Revelation 18:21-24). Cerubim was also the sign of four guardian (which is some part of them was the fallen angel of the giants in the day of Enoch). Cerubim (Ezekiel 1:1-14) has been describes as Lion head was represent Ba'al that worshiped by Arabian called Al-lat, an Ox was represent a Moon deity that also Ba'al minion called Ifrit, an Eagle & a Man was represent Gabriel and Michael. Every day our world has been guarded by 7 angels, that's why there are 7 days in a week and we had been given 7 gift of Holy Spirit for the righteous and also 7 deadly sins for the sinners (Revelation 1:4-8).

Seven guardian archangel of our world :
- The Seven Jinn Kings

Lion of Babylonian deity :
-
Lion of Al-lāt - Wikipedia

Ifrit sometimes defined as a shark attack in spiritual world, and represent Ox (executioner mentioned in Matthew 18:21-35) :
- Ifrit
-
Ifrit - Wikipedia

Terah and Nimrod was not worship God in Joshua 24:2 :
- Nimrod and Abraham - The Two Rivals

Ba'al / Zawba'ah / Ananel was one of the fallen angel described in the book of Enoch :
- The Book of Enoch: The Book of Enoch: Chapter VI.

So, every peoples that commit a sins must repent their sins in a way like apostle paul was redeem his sins. It's not God who condemn mankind but it was the wilderness and the nature of the wagon of the devil that hunger for a sinners (1 Peter 5:1-11).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Peter actually said is that Paul's LETTERS can be difficult to understand, but he did not say the MAN himself is hard to understand.

And, in application, how are these things any different?

I call this "playground antics." You did this to me, so I'm doing this to you!

I didn't do it to you because you did it to me; but the fact that you did it to me does make the fact that I did it to you less condemnable by you. Because you did it yourself, judging me for the same thing you would also be judging yourself.

However, Total Depravity does not imply the Law was evil either, which is what you seem to imply.

I do not imply that the law is evil; and neither does the apostle Paul; while he has been accused of doing just that in Romans 7.

If you think the Law had nothing positive to brings its adherents, then why would God have given it to them?

The law shows mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20, Galatians 3:24, Psalms 19:7 (kjv)).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that it would be wise for the reader not to read @Randy Kluth's posts.

I consider him to be a false teacher; but his posts carry confusion in them and it is difficult therefore for me to answer them. I am therefore thankful that @marks has picked up the task to a certain degree.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Every man who commit a sin as disobedient of the law will be sued by the devil, that's why the sinner described in 1 Corinthians 5:1-11 was representing Ham/Hammurabi that commit adultery with his own mother that brings the child Canaan into curses (Genesis 9:18-27).
So, in Jeremiah 17:9 the term of a stone hearted was represent that every sinner will be imprisonment by Eupherate devil that worshiped by Nimrod and babylonians (Joshua 24:1-28) called Ifrit that brings lust and evil whisper inside our flesh (James 3:5-9) and brings a heavy burden heart of stone (See Ifrit description in Morocco that makes sinner's heart into stone, that's why we should not bound ourselves from wealthy/Mammon - Luke 18:18-27).
Because since the dawn of Adam & Eve every mankind had been lived under the guardian of the tree of life (Genesis 3:24), so that's why as long as we still live in this world we are still under guardian of sinful nature and every sinner will be persecuted by Babylonian kings (Ezekiel 21:18-23), because the whole world was under babylonians spiritual ruler (Revelation 18:21-24). Cerubim was also the sign of four guardian (which is some part of them was the fallen angel of the giants in the day of Enoch). Cerubim (Ezekiel 1:1-14) has been describes as Lion head was represent Ba'al that worshiped by Arabian called Al-lat, an Ox was represent a Moon deity that also Ba'al minion called Ifrit, an Eagle & a Man was represent Gabriel and Michael. Every day our world has been guarded by 7 angels, that's why there are 7 days in a week and we had been given 7 gift of Holy Spirit for the righteous and also 7 deadly sins for the sinners (Revelation 1:4-8).

Seven guardian archangel of our world :
- The Seven Jinn Kings

Lion of Babylonian deity :
-
Lion of Al-lāt - Wikipedia

Ifrit sometimes defined as a shark attack in spiritual world, and represent Ox (executioner mentioned in Matthew 18:21-35) :
- Ifrit
-
Ifrit - Wikipedia

Terah and Nimrod was not worship God in Joshua 24:2 :
- Nimrod and Abraham - The Two Rivals

Ba'al / Zawba'ah / Ananel was one of the fallen angel described in the book of Enoch :
- The Book of Enoch: The Book of Enoch: Chapter VI.

So, every peoples that commit a sins must repent their sins in a way like apostle paul was redeem his sins. It's not God who condemn mankind but it was the wilderness and the nature of the wagon of the devil that hunger for a sinners (1 Peter 5:1-11).
I think that it might be good for you to stick to the Bible.

Reactions: DNB

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
RK wrote theological gibberish regarding any understanding of Paul, and even the first sentence in Rk's Thread isn't even true.
Peter knew Paul personally, and had access to Paul's letters.
So, what you selling, Randy?
Try again., but avoid this Topic, (Paul) (New Testament) as you are not equipped to handle those, RK.
Hi Behold, ...that's strange, that quote is not mine???

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Hi Behold, ...that's strange, that quote is not mine???

I apologize.
Sometimes members here use "multi-quotes" and this is why you were misquoted as the OP.
I was trying to address Randy and it was a "multi quote" and it failed.
I'll go and delete the entire post, so that you are not held liable...:)

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I apologize.
Sometimes members here use "multi-quotes" and this is why you were misquoted as the OP.
I was trying to address Randy and it was a "multi quote" and it failed.
I'll go and delete the entire post, so that you are not held liable...:)
No worries, understood, thanks!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that it would be wise for the reader not to read @Randy Kluth's posts.

I consider him to be a false teacher; but his posts carry confusion in them and it is difficult therefore for me to answer them. I am therefore thankful that @marks has picked up the task to a certain degree.

I wouldn't put you in the same category as marks. I think he is a better Christian than you--he has a great spirit, and you don't. Sorry, when you pick up, I'll acknowledge it. For now, calling me a "false teacher" does not sit well with me. You haven't found a single thing I've said that in heterodox. If you're confused by what I say, how on earth do you know that what I've said is heresy?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't do it to you because you did it to me; but the fact that you did it to me does make the fact that I did it to you less condemnable by you. Because you did it yourself, judging me for the same thing you would also be judging yourself.

Nah, I think you did it to me to "return the favor." My intention was not to name call, but to draw your attention to the fact your negative view of the Law bordered on teaching that heretics have held to. That requires you to differentiate your teaching from that of the heretics. I wasn't calling you a heretic--I was saying your teaching needed to be clarified as distinct from the heretics. On the other hand, you have been calling me a "false teacher" and a "humanist." You clearly have a nasty spirit right now.

Calling me a "humanist" does not bear any relation to what I've said. For example, I never said a man could be saved through the Law. But you seem to want to pin something like that on me. All I've ever said, and all I'm saying now, is that Israel could keep the Law, and could thereby remain in good standing with God.

I do not imply that the law is evil; and neither does the apostle Paul; while he has been accused of doing just that in Romans 7.

Exactly my point. If we're in agreement, where is the problem?

The law shows mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20, Galatians 3:24, Psalms 19:7 (kjv)).

Absolutely the Law showed Israel that it had a sin nature, and needed regular cleansing, regular atonement, in order to stay in good standing with God. This does not mean that Israel was unable to keep the Law, together with its sin offerings, in order to be blessed of God.

It did not bring eternal life, but it certainly brought good works that mattered to God. Their covenant relationship with God gave them a new nature because by faith they did what God wanted--not just in a few things, but all the time, inasmuch as God was over the totality of their lives, requiring regular obedience from them.

This was preliminary to Christ, not just as a negative, to show sin, but also as a positive, to show obedience. That obedience, with its inevitable flaws, had been atoned for on a temporary basis, but ultimately needed atonement on an eternal basis.

Thus, Christ came to complete the process of atonement, even though he came at the worst time in Israel's history, when they fell away to the extent they would actually reject their Messiah. But he came for that very purpose, to forgive them at their worst, so that a model would be set in God showing mercy to all nations, no matter what state they happen to be in.

The Law looked like a disaster among the Jews in the time of Christ. But among the faithful, the Law was a great delight. Let's not confuse that?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The passages you quoted are for the future New Covenant that is according to a new heart. That's not under the law. It's a prophecy. Jesus had to come to quicken people by the Spirit into new life IN Him.

So you have gone way to far with applying a new heart to the law.

The new heart is by a new birth in the Spirit...only.

An undivided heart was only possible when the veil was rent in the temple at the time of Jesus' death. The veil (parochet) was rent in the temple to make the holiest place available to all the priesthood. So likewise the circumcision of the heart allows God's love to be shed abroad in our hearts. This is not an Old Covenant event....but a new one.

I know what happened with the New Covenant, but you sweep away the above passages without even reading them in context! They were fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity. And the one passage was a proposal for a "new heart" in that particular time, which was *under the Law!* If your premise is based on proving this point, your argument is lost. Israel was promised they could have a "new heart" while *under the Law!*

Yes, the New Covenant provided a new heart that included the promise of eternal life, whereas the new heart under the Law did not yet have that hope. But it was indeed under the Law that God sought from Israel a "new heart," or a new nature. You're clearly wrong about that!

Eze 18.Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel?

This was *for that time,* while Israel was under the Law! This clearly proves you're wrong!