Unitarianism vs Trinitarianism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“There is no reason why we could not have a living organism that could be truly human, or, to be more accurate, could possess a human nature, but not be a human person.”

(Tim Staples, “Is Jesus a Human Person?”)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It says he is fully human

Yes, but it also says that he is not a human person.

Jesus cannot be, and isn’t, a human person in trinitarian theology. We have to know that before we can defend the doctrine of the Trinity.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
A Trinity with a Jesus who is a human person isn’t the Trinity that has been taught by the Church since the 4th century.

Reactions: Wrangler

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does your article say that Jesus is a human person? No. Why?
He is human and he is more. Is it really necessary to define something to the nth degree that we are incapable of understanding anyway?

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
He is human and he is more. Is it really necessary to define something to the nth degree that we are incapable of understanding anyway?

“Jesus is a human person” is an anti-trinitarian position.

The church in the 5th century was confronted with people like (and unlike) YOU. The Council of Chalcedon (AD 451) was necessary to defend trinitarianism - fully established in the Church since the Council of Constantinople (AD 381) - from assaults like this one.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Jesus is a human person” is an anti-trinitarian position.

The church in the 5th century was confronted with people like (and unlike) YOU. The Council of Chalcedon (AD 451) was necessary to defend trinitarianism - fully established in the Church since the Council of Constantinople (AD 381) - from assaults like this one.
He is not ONLY a human person

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“There is only one person who is Christ, and that person is divine. Thus, there is no human person named ‘Jesus of Nazareth.’”

(William Lane Craig, “Is Worship of Jesus Idolatry?)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Submitted in defense of trinitarianism:

”… Christ possesses two ousaia. The first is the divine ousia which is and always has been hypostatic. The second is a human ousia which came into existence as an attached enhypostatic ousia. This is why theologians say that Christ is not a human person (which is a synonym for hypostasis) but that he is a divine person with a human nature. Another way to say this is that Christ’s human nature is not personal in and of itself, but is personalized by becoming part of the divine Logos (who is a personal).

(Tony Arsenal, “Anhypostasis, Enhypostasis, and Bears … Oh My”)

Bold is mine.

Neglecting to tell you is the trinitarian clergy.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Submitted in defense of trinitarianism:

”… Christ possesses two ousaia. The first is the divine ousia which is and always has been hypostatic. The second is a human ousia which came into existence as an attached enhypostatic ousia. This is why theologians say that Christ is not a human person (which is a synonym for hypostasis) but that he is a divine person with a human nature. Another way to say this is that Christ’s human nature is not personal in and of itself, but is personalized by becoming part of the divine Logos (who is a personal).

(Tony Arsenal, “Anhypostasis, Enhypostasis, and Bears … Oh My”)

Bold is mine.

Neglecting to tell you is the trinitarian clergy.
Do you think the average person needs to get that in depth? Will it help them to be a better Christian? Maybe it’s not discussed that much from the pulpit because it’s over most people’s heads, it’s confusing, and I don’t think it will help sinners make a decision to repent or edify the body of Christ

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Do you think the average person needs to get that in depth?

* Why did the church in the 5th century think it was necessary? *

Yes, if the person wants to be a trinitarian and / or defend trinitarianism.

That’s takes care of Chalcedon, and almost all churches say they are Chalcedonian.

Let’s ask me the same question about Nicaea and Constantinople.

”Do you think the average person needs to get that in depth?”

Yes, if the person wants to be a trinitarian and / or defend trinitarianism.

Will it help them to be a better Christian? Maybe it’s not discussed that much from the pulpit because it’s over most people’s heads, it’s confusing, and I don’t think it will help sinners make a decision to repent or edify the body of Christ

I’ve already told you anecdotally why it’s not discussed from the trinitarian pulpit.

Would you like to hear my advice?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think the average person needs to get that in depth? Will it help them to be a better Christian? Maybe it’s not discussed that much from the pulpit because it’s over most people’s heads, it’s confusing, and I don’t think it will help sinners make a decision to repent or edify the body of Christ
It’s always easier to do and believe what you are told with critically examining it. Thinking is hard. That’s why most people don’t do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.