Version Smursions?!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
Hello everybody! So glad to be here and have the freedom to express my mind!

i intend not to offend anybody at all but to just share my viewpoint on versions of the bible and share how i have come to my stance on it now. I am still learning and open and eager to hear what Ya'll have to say so please feel free to voice your opinion too!

I guess i will just share a little story that happened recently. So, one day at school, my extremely intellectual teacher (with a good heart but disbelief in God) says hey audrey, i was cleaning my old bookshelf the other day and found a book and thought of you... and how much that book would offend you. So i asked why it would have offended me and he said it was basically a guy who talks about all the translations of the bible and how it lost its credibility and meaning than its original intent. I kinda just had to giggle and say that it doesnt offend me at all and that i agree that the translations from hebrew to greek has definitely watered down the meaning because of the language differences but i still believe that the word of God will speak. i find it silly to think that God will cease to speak to us over mere translations. However i do respectully agree that we must discern and test all things. I am not exactly sure where in the word it warns that the sacred texts will be altered but that is not my point. my point of view on all these translations is that i believe the word is living and will speak for itself if it is truly the word of God. And that we know it is the word of God if it does not contradict Gods character and the discernment from the Holy Spirit.

Two years ago i was 15 and trying to learn more in my faith. i had then gotten the mind set the only credible bible to read from was the King James Version. My decision on this spurred off of a youtube video and friend with the same mindset (this friend also holds the mindset that all churches lead christians astray and therefore does not go to church for felllowship or the message/ i do not pose this view on church though and attend and grow at church but anyways..) i somehow gotten lost in the legalisticality of it all. But i just started reading my NIV version because it was easier to understand. God still spoke to me and gave me revelation when i wasnt reading from the KJV but i began to look up the hebrew meanings and reading the word with more historical background and cultural stances to better understand them. even reading with a westernized biased led to some profound revelation. the important thing was that i was seeking Gods face and hearing his voice through the Holy Spirit.

What is the right version? To me, the right version is the version that speaks the truth to your heart. with discernment of course, but i guess what i am saying is it does not matter what version what matters is are you being fed the word of God? are you hearing from Him? are you growing closer to Him? we get so caught up in the miniscule details that what we lose the sight of the thing that maters most which is our relationship and growing with God.

I hear they are making a pigeon version of the gospel where they refer to people in the slang of the language.. i may still be indifferent about this because supposedly they refer to God as the Brothah Man upstairs?? and to most that may be disrespectful to call God that, but i see that if somebody who speaks pigeon can find God because of this version and give his life to serve God, then praise be to God! God uses all evil for good right.

I know many friends who read the KJV and even the NIV and stop reading the word because its just too hard for them to understand and to some its like wow how do you not understand that? but thats wrong to judge and so if they need another version to speak to them then i do not see why it is so bad..

I do wish we could all grasp the truest deepest meaning of all the parables and words but to me in this world what speaks God into your life and produces fruit is what matters.

So keep reading and keep discerning/testing and Seeking Gods Face! HIs voice is not to just be heard but obeyed.

respectfully, Feed yourselves the Living Word! Do not starve

so i poseted this twice is there any way i can delete one since i accidentaly posted it twice somehow??? (sry technologically incompotent)

sjmopas

Nov 18, 2014
MO
LightTheWay,

I learned to read from a KJV Bible, when I was 4 and 5 years old. By the time I was 15 I had at least 8 different versions of the Bible, including two in Spanish. Just like those who argue about whether or not the KJV Bible is the only inspired English version or not, so too do Hispanics argue about whether the RV version is the only inspired Spanish version.

Maybe it would be best if we all learned Hebrew and Greek, this way we'd at least have one less thing to argue about.

In my experience God has spoken to me through many versions of His Word. My favorite English version is the NKJV, even though I disagree with a few comma placements. Even of we all agreed that there was truly only one inspired English version we'd still argue over how it was to be understood and applied.

All that being said, I am not going to be held accountable for anyone's sins but my own. If any of the members of the teams that put together any version of the Bible did so in an evil way God knows it, and will work it all out. There are definately some versions I am concerned about.

What is interesting is that Jesus says that even things outside of the written word teach us about God and His truth; things like flowers, birds, ants, trees, mountains, and stars.

Of course there are those who will disagree with everything I've said, ultimately, being a doer of the word is the goal of hearing the word. Even the devil, when tempting Jesus, quoted scripture accurately, the difference was that he was tempting Jesus to misapply it.

Reactions: LightTheWay

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
sjmopas said:
LightTheWay,

I learned to read from a KJV Bible, when I was 4 and 5 years old. By the time I was 15 I had at least 8 different versions of the Bible, including two in Spanish. Just like those who argue about whether or not the KJV Bible is the only inspired English version or not, so too do Hispanics argue about whether the RV version is the only inspired Spanish version.

Maybe it would be best if we all learned Hebrew and Greek, this way we'd at least have one less thing to argue about.

In my experience God has spoken to me through many versions of His Word. My favorite English version is the NKJV, even though I disagree with a few comma placements. Even of we all agreed that there was truly only one inspired English version we'd still argue over how it was to be understood and applied.

All that being said, I am not going to be held accountable for anyone's sins but my own. If any of the members of the teams that put together any version of the Bible did so in an evil way God knows it, and will work it all out. There are definately some versions I am concerned about.

What is interesting is that Jesus says that even things outside of the written word teach us about God and His truth; things like flowers, birds, ants, trees, mountains, and stars.

Of course there are those who will disagree with everything I've said, ultimately, being a doer of the word is the goal of hearing the word. Even the devil, when tempting Jesus, quoted scripture accurately, the difference was that he was tempting Jesus to misapply it.

sjmopas,

Thank you for your reply! I love the way you said all of that and I see eye to eye with you :)

I absolutely love that we can learn about God by looking at his creation! I was helping my sister with her essay because they were doing a character analysis on God in Genesis. I found myself saying that God is the ultiamte true artist of the world and that like any other artist, he left his signature in his work! And recently I had the revelation of the scripture where they ask Jesus if they should pay taxes and He asks whose face is on the coin and they say Ceasar and so Jesus says give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's and give to God what is God's, and well what is God's?! Everything! We are made in "His Image"... His image is on us, well to us that make Jesus Lord and Savior.. But wow! So haha sorry got excited.

I also love your ending.. It is all about motives! Like you said Satan quoted scripture but to misapply it.. We can do right for the wrong reasons and so the motives of your heart heavily matter.

God Bless you and thank you for sharing! :)