• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Righteousness * IS* a Requirement.....The Bad News is that to get to Heaven you must be just as Righteous as Jesus! The Good News is that you can have the Righteousness “ Imputed” to you if you simply Trust Him to Save you....Believe 1 Cor15:-4 to the point that you Rest in it Alone for your Salvation....Jesus took your sins and in turn gave you His Righteousness as a free gift.....will you simply Believe it ? That will determine where you spend Eternity....
You need to resist temptation.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I understand your view.

I don't believe a person can do anything to revoke the gift God gave them.
Sure, someone may have a crisis of faith for whatever reason. And even stop believing, or turn atheist.
For me, God would know all those things were to happen after God bestowed his gift.
And he did that anyway. He still have the gift.

Maybe what is part of growing in faith for those type people is to live thinking they're letting God go when they lose faith for whatever reason.
And maybe the reason they do grow more in faith during that time is because after all those hills and valleys they think they're traveling alone they come out on the other side realizing they never were.

I think when God is part of all he's created we can never be without him.
@Oceanprayers I love the verse:

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:" (Philippians 1.6)

Reactions: Oceanprayers

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that change does not begin that shows you did not really get saved when you think you did.

The timetable for change is determined by God......He is the One that initiated the change to begin with, right?

God also determines WHAT is changed......He-May be at work deep inside of a person, transforming a heart in ways that you might not see.....He might be more concerned with making somebody kinder and less judgmental of others.... many things are more essential and more important to God than maybe putting out a damned cigarette....yet that might be all the self- Righteous , self-appointed “ Fruit inspector” might ever see.....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord expects us to learn from our mistakes.

Of course this is true.....if you chose to be a foolish, disobedient Believer, guess who pays the price?God takes these types to His “ wood- Shed”—— a place for His Chastisement to be dished out.....I know from experience that He does not play games....Believers are disciplined when they stumble— not damned to Hell ....

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Listen, if you are repenting, you are not living a very good discipleship, are you ??
This is how one sets up a straw man. "If you are repenting" implies continuous sinning and continuous repenting. But that is a totally FALSE scenario for a genuine Christian. So here are some pertinent questions that people should ask:

1. Are those who are born again given new hearts and new spirits? Absolutely.

2. At the same time, does God eradicate the sin nature automatically? Absolutely not.

3. Does the Bible show that within believers there is a conflict between the "flesh" (sin nature) and the Spirit? Absolutely.

4. Does this means that all Christians need to examine themselves constantly? Absolutely

5. Does it also mean that Christian can and do fall into sin? Absolutely

6. Does the Bible tell Christians who sin that they must confess their sins? Absolutely

7. Does the confession of sins include repentance (turning away from sins and idols)? Absolutely.

8. Does this not mean that "Behold" is trying to mislead people? Absolutely

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord is the key, but if he lays down certain requirements, aren't they key, also?

I’m not arguing with you or disagreeing…only considering Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for you have taken away the key of knowledge: you entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in you hindered.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I’m not arguing with you or disagreeing…only considering Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for you have taken away the key of knowledge: you entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in you hindered.
Hi @VictoryinJesus ; the believer is by definition a continuously repentant person: "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death." (2 Corinthians 7.10).

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course this is true.....if you chose to be a foolish, disobedient Believer, guess who pays the price?God takes these types to His “ wood- Shed”—— a place for His Chastisement to be dished out.....I know from experience that He does not play games....Believers are disciplined when they stumble— not damned to Hell ....
Yes, "Believers are disciplined when they stumble— not damned to Hell." We couldn't agree more.

To me it is important to stay out of the wood-shed, so I stress the importance of repentance.

Reactions: Davy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person repents of his sin, discovers the great joy of having done that, and then encourages others to follow suit. Someone in the audience will accuse him of being a lawyer.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
9Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God." 1 John 3:9

The confused Legalist sees this verse as a threat—- it is not.It is a Promise ,informing the Believer of his future now that he has been given a New Heart.....It’s not God saying, “Hey you! If you mess up or “stumble” ( as James said we ALL do!) on your new Walk Of Faith —- you’r gonna really get it ! No more of that Grace that I talked about so much—— that “ Grace” was for those out there that don’t really need it....”

What follows below is an excellent explanation of how we are to take this verse....Thanks to Paul Ellis and his superb site , “Escape to Reality”.....All Believers would be wise to check it out....The “ Stiff - Necked” out there ( you know who you are) need not bother.....they think it’s a sin to learn from somebody else that just might know a little bit more than they do....the prefer to cling to their “ private interpretations” ......let's let them do just that, as always......For those whose intelligence is not limited and are willing to study and Rightly Divide The Word with new eyes? Enjoy......

1 John 3:9
No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

(a) Born of God, believers

(b) No one who is born of God practices sin or makes a habit of sin because he is a new creation with a new nature and new desires.

(c) Because His seed abides in him. Those who have been born again to new life are no longer sinners by nature because they carry the seed or DNA of Jesus, and in him there is no sin (1 John 3:5).

(d) He cannot sin, because he is born of God and dead to sin. One with the Lord, the believer is a sinner no more. John is not saying believers will never sin (1 John 2:1). He is saying it is no longer in our nature to sin, because we have been given a new nature.

This is not about your performance but your pedigree. Look at how often John refers to your parentage in this passage; born of God, God’s seed, born of God. Adam breeds sinners, but God does not.

Origin determines destination. In your old life you followed in the faithless footsteps of your father Adam. You walked after the desires of the flesh because they were the only desires you had. But you have been taken out of Adam and placed into Christ. You have become a partaker of his divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4).

The evidence of this new life is the new desires and new ambitions you now have. As far as sinning goes, you are just not that interested anymore. Sure, you still have the capacity to sin. But you don’t enjoy it like you used to. Sinning makes you miserable because you know who your Father is, and when you know who your Father is (not a sinner), then you know who you are (not a sinner).

(e) Some stumble over the “he cannot sin” part of this verse. They cannot imagine a life of sinless perfection so they invent bizarre theological explanations. “My redeemed spirit cannot sin, but my soul can still sin.” Such thinking leads to double-minded Christianity. “I didn’t commit adultery—it was my unregenerate body.”

John is simply saying that the old habit of sinning is contrary to our new nature, that when we sin, we are acting at odds with who we are in Christ. “He is unable to continue sinning because he has been fathered by God himself,” is how this verse appears in the Passion Translation. A similar interpretation appears in the Message Bible: “It’s not in the nature of the God-begotten to practice and parade sin.” Jesus cannot sin. When you abide in Christ, you won’t sin either.

Further reading: “The sinless life

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person repents of his sin, discovers the great joy of having done that, and then encourages others to follow suit. Someone in the audience will accuse him of being a lawyer.

hopefully you didn’t think I was accusing anyone of being a lawyer by bringing up the verse. The reason I asked about that verse is not because of “lawyer” but because of the “you have taken away the key of knowledge” …that is what we were discussing “the key”. Significant to me is where Christ says He has the keys. I do get what you said about repentance but this is only one perspective, to me it is not about confessing every little sin verbally daily and then moving on as if nothing took place…void of conscience because “I owned it” now I can move on guilt free. But instead to me repentance is to the core where maybe it isn’t even verbalized but a change happens in the heart where out of the change, actions also change. To me this is what “to walk in the Light” means. For instance Saul/Paul repentance didn’t come empty in: you know what I did in bringing those of his body bound to be killed, you know what I did to Stephen. The acknowledgment of his is so deep to the core that the same man said
2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Which (again just an opinion) in the sight of God speak we in Christ. Is akin to: in the sight of God speak we in the Light. As in “what I tell you in darkness speak you in the Light.”

Same man, a murderer and blasphemer, that said “you know what I did” also said 2 Corinthians 7:12 Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you. (2 Timothy 4:7-8).

Point is repentance unto death or repentance unto salvation. It kind of makes sense that sorrow and pity for ourselves that we have just been caught and therefore repent to put us in good standing back underneath our own umbrella of lies, deception and pride. …is different from repentance unto salvation, not to be repented of. But as far as “the key”, in my mind Christ is the Key. Especially with my people perish for lack of knowledge, and “you took away the key of knowledge” not willing yourself but also hindered those who are willing. As in:
3 John 1:10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither does he himself receive the brethren, and forbids them that would, and casts them out of the church.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hopefully you didn’t think I was accusing anyone of being a lawyer by bringing up the verse. The reason I asked about that verse is not because of “lawyer” but because of the “you have taken away the key of knowledge” …that is what we were discussing “the key”. Significant to me is where Christ says He has the keys. I do get what you said about repentance but this is only one perspective, to me it is not about confessing every little sin verbally daily and then moving on as if nothing took place…void of conscience because “I owned it” now I can move on guilt free. But instead to me repentance is to the core where maybe it isn’t even verbalized but a change happens in the heart where out of the change, actions also change. To me this is what “to walk in the Light” means. For instance Saul/Paul repentance didn’t come empty in: you know what I did in bringing those of his body bound to be killed, you know what I did to Stephen. The acknowledgment of his is so deep to the core that the same man said
2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Which (again just an opinion) in the sight of God speak we in Christ. Is akin to: in the sight of God speak we in the Light. As in “what I tell you in darkness speak you in the Light.”

Same man, a murderer and blasphemer, that said “you know what I did” also said 2 Corinthians 7:12 Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you. (2 Timothy 4:7-8).

Point is repentance unto death or repentance unto salvation. It kind of makes sense that sorrow and pity for ourselves that we have just been caught and therefore repent to put us in good standing back underneath our own umbrella of lies, deception and pride. …is different from repentance unto salvation, not to be repented of. But as far as “the key”, in my mind Christ is the Key. Especially with my people perish for lack of knowledge, and “you took away the key of knowledge” not willing yourself but also hindered those who are willing. As in:
3 John 1:10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither does he himself receive the brethren, and forbids them that would, and casts them out of the church.
No, I don't think you were accusing me of being a lawyer, but people frequently do that.