Video Games

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I enjoy mobile phone games... Unbelievable how they can get so much performance out of these phones...

But I like the retro games, 16 bit graphics, u know, old school...

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your starting to feel old are you... Well, I can help with that...

View attachment 12965

Atari... The first home console... Check out the 1970s wood grain finish... LoL... And the basic joystick controller with one button...

ONE BUTTON... Super NES had 6 buttons... LoL

Never had one of those though. XD

Storm

Nov 23, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you could say that I'm from the video game generation.
I remember some of my mates had Atari then there was CPU gaming with Commodore 64 and Amiga 500.
Then the home console revolution started with Nintendo and Sega.

Meanwhile, on arcade, there was a revolution that took the arcade world by storm.
It was 1991, and a new arcade game would change the gaming world forever... Street Fighter 2

What a huge advancement... Arcade games typically had 1 or 2 buttons that you would mash as fast as possible.
But SF2 had 6 buttons, special moves, combinations and multiple characters. Also, it was the first game where you could challenge each other

My friend's auntie used to work at an arcade parlour in the city.
We would often spend the day there on a Streetfighter machine full of credits so we got fairly good at it.

Then, not long after the release of SF2 came another fighting game that took the world by storm, Mortal Kombat.
I remember the first time I watched someone playing it. The guy did a finishing move and everyone was like, wooowww

Fast forward 30 years and its no surprise that Streetfighter and Mortal Kombat are the most popular fighting games.

Then there is racing games but I'll save that one for next time... Is anyone into sim racing???

Ah, Street Fighter II. Brings back memories of the barracks when I was in the Army many years ago. My roommate had an SNES and goaded me into playing against him. For the first hour he defeated me every time but once I learned the controls, the tables turned. I started beating him, every time, using whatever character he asked me to play. Ryu was my favorite but it didn't matter... I could beat him using Guile, Chun Li, Dhalsim, Blanka, Ken, or the sumo guy. It was rather easy and I eventually felt sorry for him. He couldn't beat me no matter how hard he tried. I don't like competitive games of any kind because someone's feelings always get hurt.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ah, Street Fighter II. Brings back memories of the barracks when I was in the Army many years ago. My roommate had an SNES and goaded me into playing against him. For the first hour he defeated me every time but once I learned the controls, the tables turned. I started beating him, every time, using whatever character he asked me to play. Ryu was my favorite but it didn't matter... I could beat him using Guile, Chun Li, Dhalsim, Blanka, Ken, or the sumo guy. It was rather easy and I eventually felt sorry for him. He couldn't beat me no matter how hard he tried. I don't like competitive games of any kind because someone's feelings always get hurt.

It sounds like u figured out his only strategy and needed a bit more of a challenge...
I hated SF2 on SNES cos of the controller, I was just so used to the arcade joystick and buttons

The thing about avoiding competitive games is this... Life is one big competition.
You compete for everything in life from your job to your partner. You will beat people and you will be beaten and we should learn to deal with that rather than try it avoid it and then get all emotional when things don't go our way. We see this too much from this generation now

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, this isn't actually a videogame, but does anybody remember this? :D

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, I never got out my Super Nintendo last night because I couldn't find it. I think it's on the top shelf of my closet though with my PS2. I'm going to look after dinner. :)

Reactions: historyb

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still eating a little bit but this is a pretty fun game too for GameCube. :D

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, I still have all of my game consoles except Nintendo 64 and PS1. I guess you can count GameCube as well then since I play all my GameCube games on my Wii and PS1 games on my PS2. What I really want is a Wii U right now but it's just way too expensive for me. I found out that I can't do virtual reality games though as that makes me sick. :(

Storm

Nov 23, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a video game, but let's just say I'm of the generation who played lawn darts. A pity they were banned.

Reactions: Mayflower

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes I heard of it, I just never had one myself.

Hehehe, I never had one either, it was a bit before my time...
My first console was a Sega Master System 2 with Sonic the hedgehog... It was their response to NES and Super Mario

bandicam 2021-01-31 11-27-33-182.jpg bandicam 2021-01-31 11-26-53-917.jpg

Consoles of the same generation. 8-Bit graphics...

Your not much younger girl... :D... Your SNES was the next generation of consoles with 16 bit graphics

So while u look more like this...
bandicam 2021-01-31 11-41-50-309.jpg
I look more like this
bandicam 2021-01-31 11-43-40-936.jpg

Hehehehe...:D:D:D

Reactions: April_Rose

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not a video game, but let's just say I'm of the generation who played lawn darts. A pity they were banned.

Lawn darts??? Thats a new one for me... How???
Iv played darts, bocce, lawn bowls... But lawn darts... And its illegal now u say...
I gotta look into this now...

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ok i found this article titled The rise and fall of lawn darts...

So, first of all, its not a professional sport like I was thinking it was...:rolleyes:

The rise and fall of lawn darts
bandicam 2021-01-31 11-52-55-656.jpg

"From January, 1978 to December 1986 lawn darts were responsible for an estimated 6,100 hospital emergency-room treated injuries," the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported. "Approximately 81 percent of the victims were under 15 years old, and 50 percent were under the age of 10."

Lawn darts had also killed two other children: a 4-year-old, and a 13-year-old.

In 1988, the Commission voted to ban lawn darts sales completely.

Interesting bit of trivia

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I found my Super Nintendo and PS2,.. I'm going to figure out how to hook it up to my television set tomorrow since it's a new one. :)

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well I found my Super Nintendo and PS2,.. I'm going to figure out how to hook it up to my television set tomorrow since it's a new one. :)

Well... PS2 is a huge leap from SNES... From 16 bit to 128-bit graphics... It skips the 32 and 64-bit generations...

Who cares about bits. They don't really matter anyway... It's all about player experience

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No offence intended but I can't understand this adult obsession with video games.

1 Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

I believe that verse is talking about the ways of God since the passage was talking about prophecy and knowledge. Video Games is just a hobby like CB. I am not a runner, and or a tv watcher, or a book reader. But I am a gamer. Everything in moderation. :)

And if you ever plan to have kids, you best like them to get them into nicer ones. LOL