Was Adam Imparted Free Will From The Beginning Of Creation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello brother,
Sorry but, I do not have the mind anymore to do an "exhaustive search" on something unless I felt drawn to, or it peeks my interest :) I think you did just fine.

Bottom line is that a True Christian will gladly follow and obey Christ regardless if one say's bond servant, or simply servant.
Can't say as I see it as being "adulterated", or that it changes context...?

"I am a grateful and loving and loved slave of Righteousness, that is, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!"

Glory to God, me too! Praise God, and amen bro! Kind of sounds like a "willing" slave maybe?

Every person starts out life as a slave to sin (Romans 6:20), so as a slave to sin a person has no means to change from being a slave to sin on their own.

A slave of sin is purchased solely by Christ to be converted solely by Christ into a slave of Righteousness (Romans 6:18), and Christ is the Righteous Branch (Jeremiah 23 5).

Free will does not exist according to this Truth, that is Christ (John 14:6).

"With free will, praying for a lost soul does nothing because God is not in control of salvation because a person must choose Jesus in order to achieve salvation."

Perhaps, but one can pray for a softened heart, a changed mind. God could send sincere men or women of God in their path, men who they respect and listen to. He can open opportunities for discussion...
God can prepare a heart to receive the Truth, and the Holy Spirit convicts the world...?

A "softened heart" is a heart changed by God - not a person's free will.

A "changed mind" is a repentant person changed by God - not a person's free will.

Free willian philosophy dictates that people are autonomous, so praying for a "softened heart" or a "changed mind" for a lost soul does nothing because God is not in control of salvation because a person must choose Jesus in order to achieve salvation.

Yes, we are saved by grace, through faith. And, does He not give EVERYONE a "measure of faith"?

Verse please.

"Are you sad for them now in their current state of opposition to Jesus Christ the Savior and Lord God eternal Creator of Heaven and Earth of all that is seen and unseen?"

Not quite sure I follow here. I'm sad for them because what hope do they really have? For their loved ones, friends...EVERYONE they may know and have a heart for?

You presented your neighbors as though they do not know Christ.

According to free willian philosophy, there is nothing God can do to save them, so there is no reason for a person who thinks free will is real to pray for them.

What do you do with scriptures like:

Proverbs 11:30
“The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.”

There is another verse somewhere in Revelation, speaking of the "crowns". I do believe there is one listed that also involves "soul winning".

Christ is the Wisdom of God (1 Corinthians 1:24).

Disciples of Christ bear fruit of the Spirit (John 15-5, Galatians 5:22-23).

"he that winneth souls" is God using the children of God to increase the Assembly of God.

Yes brother, I do understand that it is all or nothing with Christ. 'Cannot serve both God and mammon...'

"With bond will, praying for a lost soul in the will of God is answered with salvation for the lost soul because God is in control of salvation (1 John 5:14, Matthew 7:7)."

With or without "bond" will when praying, I believe it IS His will that none should perish so...there will not come a day that I stop praying His will, and this is where I stand...STILL stand on the subject of free will. (BTW- how does free will even do a thing to change the truth of His Sovereignty?

Free willian philosophy has everything to do with people denying Jesus based on His words:
  • Jesus says Jesus is
  • Jesus says His disciples are

Jesus declares the Sovereignty of God:
  • "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16)
  • "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation)

Free willian philosophy holds that Jesus' words of "you did not choose Me" are invalid for free willians. It is evil to subtract from the Word of God!

I know there is much more in your post yet, there seems to be such a weariness on my end anymore and think I've come to an end with this discussion. No disrespect intended brother. Do not have the mental, emotional capacity to debate. i have become more of a "reader", lol.

Like you said brother, either way...some will be saved and some will not.

Blessed be God brother! Maybe we will one day meet on "THE" road :)

May the Lord Jesus touch your heart.

Reactions: Nancy

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You obviously consider freewill as the right to do anything one wants without having to bear any consequence. For me, freewill is the ability to do anything and freewill doesn't mean one won't have to bear the consequences of their actions.

Is freewill defined in the Bible?

Your question is very astute!

You asked "Is freewill defined in the Bible?", and the only mention in the English translations that I am aware a free will explicitly being mentioned is Philemon 1:14 where Paul uses free will as illusory instead of concrete.

Arguing for something that is not concrete in the Word of God is a very dangerous thing for a soul's eternity.

Since I answered your question, I'm returning to your first paragraph now.

You have misrepresented how I use free will. I have expressed this clearly repeatedly in this thread. I'm posting it again here to make it convenient for you.

Largely, I use free will to mean man choosing toward God, emphatically Lord Jesus Christ.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said and will not change just it because you want me to, I said When writing John 8:58 the apostle was not quoting from the Greek Septuagint Version, a translation of the Hebrew Scriptures made by Greek-speaking Jews of Alexandria, Egypt, before the birth of Christ. The Greek Septuagint, he will find that the Septuagint reading of Exodus 3:14 does not use the expression Egó eimí for God’s name, when God says to Moses: “I AM hath sent me unto you.” The Greek Septuagint uses the expression ho Ōn, which means “The Being,” or, “The One who is.” This fact is clearly presented to us in Bagster’s translation of the Greek Septuagint, at Exodus 3:14, which reads: “And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING [ho Ōn]; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING [ho Ōn] has sent me to you.” According to Charles Thomson’s translation of the Greek Septuagint, Exodus 3:14 reads: “God spoke to Moses saying, I am The I Am [ho Ōn]. Moreover he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, The I Am [ho Ōn] hath sent me to you.”

Look at the words preceding "ho on" in Exodus 3:14, and the words "ego eimi" are right there in Exodus 3:14.

I provided links to the Septuagint's Greek of Exodus 3:14 and Greek interlinear of John 8:58 for visual reference.

It sounds like you are making a false claim that the apostles did not use the Septuagint, because it is clearly evident that the apostles did use the Septuagint.

Jews would refer to the Psalms by the first line of the Psalm, for example, Psalm 22 as people call it today would be referred to as "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me" (Psalm 22:1).

Jesus on the cross used this construct when He referred to Psalm 22 which includes the prophecy of Him when He said "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me" (Matthew 27:46).

Lord Jesus use the same construct when he said "ego eimi" in John 8:58 to refer back to Exodus 3:14.

When Jesus uses the words "ego eimi", then He declares His authoritative existence as "ego eimi ho on" of Exodus 3:14.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When He told Adam that there was one thing could not do, Freewill was in full effect.

And the day that he ate of the tree he did die, in the only way that matters. Spiritually

That which you wrote is not in the Word of God, so you added to the Word of God.

Free will is not in Genesis 2:16-17.

Free will is not in Genesis 3:6.

And so on, and so on, and so on.

Just as the original post shows based on scripture, Adam was not imparted free will, and no one thereafter has a free will.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're silly if you think I'm going to believe that garbage that follows...

No Christian calls the Word of God "garbage"!

Furthermore, you wrote that you reject the Word for I cited and quoted John 8:34-47,, John 8:34, John 8:37, John 8:44 because you convey that you do not believe Him Who said the righteous things.

That's basically saying that the 'idea' of freewill is of the devil. That's a stupid ignorant idea. There are many IF conditions given in God's Word regarding whether one follows Him, or doesn't. And believing The Gospel is the main one! It is a CHOICE we each MUST make on our OWN. The fact that He chose some doesn't mean they are the only ones who believe The Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Thus Calvinism relies too much on those who are also 'chosen', and not only 'called', while the majority of Christ's Church are 'called' only, YET STILL CHRIST'S CHURCH!

And it's a simple idea The Lord did with that, because He obviously understands the idea of LEADERSHIP FOR HIS CHURCH ON EARTH! That's why He chose certain ones per His election to serve Him.

John 17:18-21
18 As Thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on Me through their word;

21 That they all may be one; as Thou, Father, art in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be one in Us: that the world may believe that Thou hast sent Me.
KJV

Free will is a devilish deception that results in eternal punishment (John 3:36).

The only mention in the English translations that I am aware a free will explicitly being mentioned is Philemon 1:14 where Paul uses free will as illusory instead of concrete.

Arguing for something that is not concrete in the Word of God is a very dangerous thing for a soul's eternity.

Logic IF/THEN statements do not convey ability to choose.

Logic IF/THEN statements present a condition and a result for achieving the condition.

Sanctification is an act of God in man, for the Word of God says "But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God" (John 3:21).

Lord Jesus says "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

Davy, because of Christ's words, God graciously controls the impartion into persons of God's choosing the complete package of belief in Jesus (John 6:29)! There is nothing more for persons to do to believe in Jesus (Ephesians 2:8-10).

That is not free will, Davy, and just as the original post shows based on scripture, Adam was not imparted free will, and no one thereafter has a free will.

There is no level that a person can choose Lord Jesus because He says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation) - Jesus, being God, did not provide any exception for choosing toward Jesus. Lord Jesus speaks to all believers in all time because He also said "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word" (John 17:20)! All these words of Jesus are at the same supper! All glory is God's! With man, salvation is impossible (Matthew 19:25-26)! All glory in the salvation of man is God's (John 15:5, Isaiah 42:8, Psalm 3:8)!

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At John 8:56-58 it says, “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.”

On this expression a comment is made in the Abbé Drioux edition of the Holy Bible which translates John 8:58 as, “Before Abraham was, I am, in fact God eternal, before Abraham was born.” In a footnote in his Bible translation Monsignor Ronald A. Knox says regarding the expression, "I AM" at John 8:58 he says, "here our Lord seems explicitly to claim a Divine title and then tells readers to compare Exodus 3:14.” and when you turn to Exodus 3:14 it reads, “God said to Moses: I AM WHO AM. He said: Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel: HE WHO IS, hath sent me to you.” But the King James Version reads this scripture this way: “And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”

The expression “I AM” is there used as a title or a name, and in the Hebrew this expression is the one word, "Ehyéh (אהיה)." At Exodus 3:14 Jehovah God was there speaking to Moses and sending him to the children of Israel. Well, was Jesus claiming to be Jehovah God at John 8:58? Not according to many modern Bible translators, as the following quotations will prove:
Moffatt translation says at John 8:58, “I have existed before Abraham was born.”
Schonfield which is An American Translation reads, “I existed before Abraham was born.”
Stage a German translation says, “Before Abraham came to be, I was.”
Pfaefflin another German translation says, “Before there was an Abraham, I was already there!”
George M. Lamsa, translating from the Syriac Peshitta, says, “Before Abraham was born, I was.”
Dr. James Murdock, also translating from the Syriac Peshitto Version, says, “Before Abraham existed, I was.”
The Brazilian Sacred Bible published by the Catholic Bible Center of São Paulo says, “Before Abraham existed, I was existing.” None of these translations translates John 8:58 as if Jesus was saying he was the only True God here by saying he was the "I AM."

Also, when Jesus spoke to those Jews, he spoke to them in the Hebrew of his day, not in Greek. So how Jesus said, John 8:58 to the Jews is therefore presented to us in modern Hebrew translations, a couple of these modern translations by Hebrew scholars translated John 8:58 as follows:
Dr. Franz Delitzsch: “Before Abraham was, I have been.”
Isaac Salkinson and David Ginsburg says, “I have been when there had as yet been no Abraham.”
In both of these Hebrew translations the translators are using the expression “I have been” these two Hebrew words which are both a pronoun and a verb are, "aní hayíthi;" they do not use the one Hebrew word, "Ehyéh." So they do not make out that at John 8:58 Jesus was trying to imitate Jehovah God and give us the impression that he himself was Jehovah, the I AM.

Now we know that the Apostle John wrote his gospel in the Greek language, and here at John 8:58 the
Controversial expression is, "Egó eimí."
Now this expression without any introductory material ahead of it, means, "I AM." Well here at John 8:58 is there introductory material ahead of the expression, "Egó eimí," yes, this also true at John 8:24,28 where the expression, "Egó eimí" is translated, "I am he" not as, "I AM." So why isn't John 8:58 translated as, "I am he" since John 8:58 has introductory material ahead of the expression, "Egó eimí" just as John 8:24, 28 does. I mean I would understand the expression, "Egó eimí" being translated, "I AM" if the expression, "Egó eimí" stood alone without any introductory material ahead of it, but that's not the case.
The context shows that Jesus was talking about the fact he was older than Abraham that he was in existence long before Abraham was born. That's all that Jesus was saying, Jesus wasn't saying he was God, so he wasn't trying to use the expression, "Egó eimí" to imitate what God had inspired to be written down at Exodus 3:14.
Trinitarians want to give us the idea that Jesus was not simply referring to his existence but also giving himself a title that belongs to Jehovah God, in imitation of Exodus 3:14.

As I said before when writing John 8:58 the apostle was not quoting from the Greek Septuagint Version, a translation of the Hebrew Scriptures made by Greek-speaking Jews of Alexandria, Egypt, before the birth of Christ, and I said let anyone who reads Greek compare John 8:58 in Greek and Exodus 3:14 in the Greek
Septuagint, and he will find that the Septuagint reading of Exodus 3:14 does not use the expression, "Egó eimí" for God’s name, that doesn't mean that the words, when God says to Moses: “I AM hath sent me unto you.” The Greek Septuagint uses the expression ho Ōn, which means “The Being,” or, “The One who is.” This fact is clearly presented to us in Bagster’s translation of the Greek Septuagint, at Exodus 3:14 which reads: “And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING [ho Ōn]; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING [ho Ōn] has sent me to you.” Thus this comparison of the two Greek texts, that of the Septuagint and that of John 8:58, removes all basis for trinitarians to argue that Jesus, in John 8:58, was trying to fit Exodus 3:14 to himself, as if he was Jehovah God.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At John 8:56-58 it says, “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.”

On this expression a comment is made in the Abbé Drioux edition of the Holy Bible which translates John 8:58 as, “Before Abraham was, I am, in fact God eternal, before Abraham was born.” In a footnote in his Bible translation Monsignor Ronald A. Knox says regarding the expression, "I AM" at John 8:58 he says, "here our Lord seems explicitly to claim a Divine title and then tells readers to compare Exodus 3:14.” and when you turn to Exodus 3:14 it reads, “God said to Moses: I AM WHO AM. He said: Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel: HE WHO IS, hath sent me to you.” But the King James Version reads this scripture this way: “And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”

The expression “I AM” is there used as a title or a name, and in the Hebrew this expression is the one word, "Ehyéh (אהיה)." At Exodus 3:14 Jehovah God was there speaking to Moses and sending him to the children of Israel. Well, was Jesus claiming to be Jehovah God at John 8:58? Not according to many modern Bible translators, as the following quotations will prove:
Moffatt translation says at John 8:58, “I have existed before Abraham was born.”
Schonfield which is An American Translation reads, “I existed before Abraham was born.”
Stage a German translation says, “Before Abraham came to be, I was.”
Pfaefflin another German translation says, “Before there was an Abraham, I was already there!”
George M. Lamsa, translating from the Syriac Peshitta, says, “Before Abraham was born, I was.”
Dr. James Murdock, also translating from the Syriac Peshitto Version, says, “Before Abraham existed, I was.”
The Brazilian Sacred Bible published by the Catholic Bible Center of São Paulo says, “Before Abraham existed, I was existing.” None of these translations translates John 8:58 as if Jesus was saying he was the only True God here by saying he was the "I AM."

Also, when Jesus spoke to those Jews, he spoke to them in the Hebrew of his day, not in Greek. So how Jesus said, John 8:58 to the Jews is therefore presented to us in modern Hebrew translations, a couple of these modern translations by Hebrew scholars translated John 8:58 as follows:
Dr. Franz Delitzsch: “Before Abraham was, I have been.”
Isaac Salkinson and David Ginsburg says, “I have been when there had as yet been no Abraham.”
In both of these Hebrew translations the translators are using the expression “I have been” these two Hebrew words which are both a pronoun and a verb are, "aní hayíthi;" they do not use the one Hebrew word, "Ehyéh." So they do not make out that at John 8:58 Jesus was trying to imitate Jehovah God and give us the impression that he himself was Jehovah, the I AM.

Now we know that the Apostle John wrote his gospel in the Greek language, and here at John 8:58 the
Controversial expression is, "Egó eimí."
Now this expression without any introductory material ahead of it, means, "I AM." Well here at John 8:58 is there introductory material ahead of the expression, "Egó eimí," yes, this also true at John 8:24,28 where the expression, "Egó eimí" is translated, "I am he" not as, "I AM." So why isn't John 8:58 translated as, "I am he" since John 8:58 has introductory material ahead of the expression, "Egó eimí" just as John 8:24, 28 does. I mean I would understand the expression, "Egó eimí" being translated, "I AM" if the expression, "Egó eimí" stood alone without any introductory material ahead of it, but that's not the case.
The context shows that Jesus was talking about the fact he was older than Abraham that he was in existence long before Abraham was born. That's all that Jesus was saying, Jesus wasn't saying he was God, so he wasn't trying to use the expression, "Egó eimí" to imitate what God had inspired to be written down at Exodus 3:14.
Trinitarians want to give us the idea that Jesus was not simply referring to his existence but also giving himself a title that belongs to Jehovah God, in imitation of Exodus 3:14.

As I said before when writing John 8:58 the apostle was not quoting from the Greek Septuagint Version, a translation of the Hebrew Scriptures made by Greek-speaking Jews of Alexandria, Egypt, before the birth of Christ, and I said let anyone who reads Greek compare John 8:58 in Greek and Exodus 3:14 in the Greek
Septuagint, and he will find that the Septuagint reading of Exodus 3:14 does not use the expression, "Egó eimí" for God’s name, that doesn't mean that the words, Egó eimí are not there, I said that the expression Egó eimí wasn't used for God's name. When God says to Moses: “I AM hath sent me unto you.” The Greek Septuagint uses the expression ho Ōn, which means “The Being,” or, “The One who is.” This fact is clearly presented to us in Bagster’s translation of the Greek Septuagint, at Exodus 3:14 which reads: “And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING [ho Ōn]; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING [ho Ōn] has sent me to you.” Thus this comparison of the two Greek texts, that of the Septuagint and that of John 8:58, removes all basis for trinitarians to argue that Jesus, in John 8:58, was trying to fit Exodus 3:14 to himself, as if he was Jehovah God.

The expression, "Egó eimí ho Ōn" isn't what's used at John 8:58 only the expression, "Egó eimí" is, so if Jesus was telling us that he was the True God who spoke to Moses at Exodus 3:14 which uses the expression, "Egó eimí
hoŌn," not, "Egó eimí" by itself, why didn't Jesus use the whole expression?

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said and will not change just it because you want me to, I said When writing John 8:58 the apostle was not quoting from the Greek Septuagint Version, a translation of the Hebrew Scriptures made by Greek-speaking Jews of Alexandria, Egypt, before the birth of Christ. The Greek Septuagint, he will find that the Septuagint reading of Exodus 3:14 does not use the expression Egó eimí for God’s name, when God says to Moses: “I AM hath sent me unto you.” The Greek Septuagint uses the expression ho Ōn, which means “The Being,” or, “The One who is.” This fact is clearly presented to us in Bagster’s translation of the Greek Septuagint, at Exodus 3:14, which reads: “And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING [ho Ōn]; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING [ho Ōn] has sent me to you.” According to Charles Thomson’s translation of the Greek Septuagint, Exodus 3:14 reads: “God spoke to Moses saying, I am The I Am [ho Ōn]. Moreover he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, The I Am [ho Ōn] hath sent me to you.”

Lord Jesus says "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM" (John 8:58).

Jesus says I AM, and He did not say "I was created".

So, one week before Abraham was born Jesus' words of I AM ring true.

And, two weeks before Abraham was born Jesus' words of I AM resound true.

And, three weeks before Abraham was born Jesus' words of I AM are true.

And, the minute prior to the minute any of all the angels were created Jesus' words of I AM trumpet true.

No matter how many weeks going back in time before Abraham was born Jesus' words of I AM remain absolutely true; therefore, Jesus declares Himself God with reference to I AM (Exodus 3:14).

Going back in time, Jesus is always I AM, never created, He is always I AM.

Going back in time, anytime in all eternity because Jesus says "before Abraham" with no exceptions, Jesus Being.

Going back in time, Jesus Being.

Jesus is I AM, that is God, so His words ring true for you that "unless you believe that I AM, you will die in your sins" (John 8:24).

This post ties with the prior post God had me make to you about "I"/"Ego" and "am"/"eimi" in both Exodus 3:14 and John 8:58.

The Apostle Thomas testified that Lord Jesus Christ is God when he said "My Lord and my God" (John 20:28).

Again, Lord Jesus is I AM (John 8:58, Exodus 3:14), that is God (John 20:28), so His words ring true for you that "unless you believe that I AM, you will die in your sins" (John 8:24).

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Christian calls the Word of God "garbage"!

I didn't call The Word of God garbage, you white-washed wall. What you said is what I called garbage...

You said:
"I know the identity of who tells you that you have a freewill, and it is not the Word of God
John 1:14"

But the actual John 1:14 Scripture says this...

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
KJV

Nowhere in that verse does it say anything about the idea of free will.

That shows you like to just throw a Scripture reference up behind your garbage words as if God's Word backs you ideas up. That is the way of the charlatan.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Despite the Creation account in Genesis 1-3 being silent about man's "will", there exists Apostolic teaching on the matter of man's "will" with regard to the creation account.
That is incorrect. Firstly we are told that God created mankind in His own image and in His own likeness. God has total free will therefore man was also given free will. Secondly the manner in which God presented Adam with two choices implied that man has free will.

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof [IMPLIED: BUT YOU MAY CHOOSE TO DISOBEY] thou shalt surely die.
Adam did not exercise willpower to disobey God's command not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:16-17)...
FALSE. As shown above. Adam could choose because he had the free will to choose, just as all men today have free will to make all kinds of choices.
...for Paul wrote "the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly" (Romans 8:20, NASB); therefore, Adam did not make a choice, not a willing choice, to eat.
It should be obvious to anyone that this speaks of creation AFTER the fall. God cursed creation, thus it was subjected to futility, and the third law of thermodynamics went into effect. Entropy means from order to disorder. Creation became subject to death, decay, and corruption. That was not God's original creation which was "very good".

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, BARNEY BRIGHT, please go back to continue the discussion at this post in this thread.

So are you saying that Adam or Eve didn't have the ability to disobey this command at Genesis 2:16-17? Isn't it obvious that Eve chose to believe what the serpent said concerning What God had said at Genesis 2:16-17? Eve did choose to believe the lies that the serpent said regarding what God had said at Genesis?
You certainly won't convince me it was God will for Adam and Eve to disobey this command that God had given Adam and Eve at Genesis 2:16-17. But Adam and Eve did disobey this command so are you trying to use John 15:16 to say that it was God choice for Adam and Eve to disobey him. Although I disagree with you on how you use John 15:16 as though man has no choices it seems you're trying to say it was God choice that Adam and Eve were disobedient to him and I know that's not true. So what are you saying regarding this command at Genesis 2:16-17, that it was God will for them to be disobedient to this command?

Second, BARNEY BRIGHT, why did you improperly quote this post to which you replied? You have repeatedly done the same thing.

Third, I have repeatedly conveyed that Adam and Eve had the ability to disobey God's command recorded in Genesis 2:16-17. Your very first question in your post conveys cognitive handicap for you.

You reject the Word of God as revealed in item 1 of the original post because God prophesied that Adam would disobey (Genesis 2:17). You purport that Adam could have caused God to be a liar because Adam could have chosen God by way of Adam not ever eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, yet Adam disobeyed just as God prophesied about Adam.

You reject the Word of God as revealed in item 2.2 of the original post because God's Plan of Redemption through the Christ for mankind before the foundation of the world is God's will. You purport that Adam could prevent God's will by Adam choosing God by way of Adam not ever eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, yet Christ is come.

For your clarity, I repeatedly explained in this thread that the Word of God says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation), and, largely, I use free will to mean man choosing toward God, emphatically Lord Jesus Christ.

BARNEY BRIGHT, as to your final question in your post, it's not what I say that matters, it's what the Word of God says that matters.

The Word of God is complete. No human additions allowed. No human subtractions permitted.

You keep trying to add "choose" where "choose" is absent in the Word of God "and commanded YHWH God to the man, saying 'Of every tree in the garden to eat you will be eating, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, not eating from, when in the day you are to eat of it to die you will be dying'" (Genesis 2:16-17).

You are adding to the Word of God.

It is written "do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar" (Proverbs 30:6).

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That which you wrote is not in the Word of God, so you added to the Word of God.

Free will is not in Genesis 2:16-17.

Free will is not in Genesis 3:6.

And so on, and so on, and so on.

Just as the original post shows based on scripture, Adam was not imparted free will, and no one thereafter has a free will.
As soon as Adam had a choice to do wrong he had freewill

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This post needs to lead with when Paul wrote "the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly" (Romans 8:20) since you asserted that Paul's writing is limited to "AFTER the fall".

Paul left no room for disputing to the timeframe for which "not willingly" applies, for Paul also wrote "we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now" (Romans 8:22), and the phrase "until now" is the timeframe's most recent limiting factor which memes that all times prior to "now" are included, so "the whole creation" includes the moment after God breathed into Adam's nostrils the breath of life (Genesis 2:7) until Adam ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 3:6); therefore, we can be certain that Paul includes the timeframe that Adam ate of the tree in the travailing/groaning because Paul wrote of all of this in the same passage, i.e. Romans 8:20-22.

Paul includes the "not willingly" (Romans 8:20-22) to apply to the time that Adam ate of the tree (Genesis 3:6).

That is incorrect. Firstly we are told that God created mankind in His own image and in His own likeness. God has total free will therefore man was also given free will.

In item 2.1 of the original post in this thread, you will find that God does NOT explain precisely the meaning of being created in the image according to the likeness of God.

In fact, item 2.1 contains the Word of God showing the error of your statement before you even made your statement.

Secondly the manner in which God presented Adam with two choices implied that man has free will.

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof [IMPLIED: BUT YOU MAY CHOOSE TO DISOBEY] thou shalt surely die.

Notice that you literally add your words into the Word of God. "Choose" is not in the Word of God as recorded by Moses in Genesis 2:16-17.

It is written "do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar" (Proverbs 30:6). This is quoted in the original post, too.

FALSE. As shown above. Adam could choose because he had the free will to choose, just as all men today have free will to make all kinds of choices.

Largely, I use free will to mean man choosing toward God, emphatically Lord Jesus Christ as shown in the original post's item 2.1.3.

It should be obvious to anyone that this speaks of creation AFTER the fall. God cursed creation, thus it was subjected to futility, and the third law of thermodynamics went into effect. Entropy means from order to disorder. Creation became subject to death, decay, and corruption. That was not God's original creation which was "very good".

In item 2.2 of the original post in this thread, the Word of God shows that "very good" (Genesis 1:31) includes God's Plan of Redemption through the Christ for mankind before the foundation of the world.

Enoch111, you will find the original post incorporates Almighty God's Awesome Creation In Amazing Splendor by reference which includes richly scriptural explanation about "very good", and you'll find therein that scripture indicates Adam was made flesh, and flesh opposes God (Galatians 5:17). You'll also find how scripture reveals that the serpent was in the garden.

As to your "this speaks of creation AFTER the fall", that statement is shown to be false at the top of this post.

Bottom line, you have been proven to be an adder to the Word of God, so in effect, you claim the Word of God is insufficient except for your additional words; therefore, you claim to be a god.

Last edited:

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, BARNEY BRIGHT, please go back to continue the discussion at this post in this thread.

The first human pair were not devoid of knowledge of good and bad. God had told them that it would be wrong or bad to eat of the fruit of one designated tree; conversely, to obey God was good. (Genesis 2:16,17) So the particular “knowledge” indicated by the “tree of the knowledge of good and bad” involved a self-determining of what is good and bad. On this, Professor T. J. Conant wrote: “By disregarding the divine will, and deciding and acting on his own, man chose to know for himself what is good and evil.” Yes, Adam and Eve rejected God’s determination and chose to set up their own standard of what was good and what was bad.

With Adam and Eve, their coming to know good and bad involved breaking Jehovah’s command and rejecting his standards. For this they deserved to die and were so sentenced.[/Quote\]

So what you're saying is what, that Adam had no choice but to sin and bring death into the world because God prophesied it would happen? If that's what you mean then you're saying sin and death originated from God, because according to you Adam can't choose to obey or disobey. He can only follow God's prophecy of what God said was going to happen.
I know that when God prophesizes that prophecy can't be stopped. So it seems to me that you're saying that God is responsible for sin and death to be in existence because you're saying that the scriptures are saying that God prophesied it would happen.
So you're saying it was, what, God's purpose his will, that sin and death to be in existence? Because you're saying Adam and Eve can't make choices for themselves they only can go along with what you say God prophesied was going to happen.
I don't believe that it was God's purpose or will or plan for sin and death to be in existence. But by you saying God prophesing that Adam would sin you're saying it was God plan, or will or purpose for sin and death to exist, and that's not true.

You very first sentence rejects the Word of God saying "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil" (Genesis 3:22), so based on the Word of God saying "has become" recorded in Genesis 3:22, then Adam did not know good and evil before eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. This is not the first time the Word of God has been indicated to you on this matter in this thread.

The Lord talked about the "father of lies" (John 8:44). You lied in your very first sentence showing your true colors, that is, whose banner you are under.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re claiming Adam sinned by the decree of God, thus making God the author of sin.

Little children are without knowledge of good and evil, yet can understand the concept of parents saying DONT DO THAT.

That which you wrote has been addressed previously in this thread, and my writings were available for you to read at the time you posted.

This means you free willfully lied about that which I wrote.

I see you claim to be a Christian.

Christians do not launch incendiary missiles loaded with deceit (Ephesians 6:16).

Your post is devoid of scripture, so your post is ONLY your thoughts.

A word about your thoughts. It is written, "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,' declares the LORD. 'For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.'" (Isaiah 55:8-9).

Of the new Jerusalem, the Apostle John wrote "nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life" (Revelation 21:27) - notice that no one who practices lying gets in, and a human adding to scripture is the human lying.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul left no room for disputing to the timeframe for which "not willingly" applies, for Paul also wrote "we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now" (Romans 8:22), so "the whole creation" includes the moment after God breathed into Adam's nostrils the breath of life (Genesis 2:7) until Adam ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
Wait a minute. You think creation was broken before sin? That has to be the most bizarre interpretation I've heard from you and that's saying something!

The whole reason creation is groaning is because Eve, then Adam, then everyone else chose to sin. Creation will be restored to an Eden like State when Christ returns.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That which you wrote has been addressed previously in this thread, and my writings were available for you to read at the time you posted.

This means you free willfully lied about that which I wrote.

I see you claim to be a Christian.

Christians do not launch incendiary missiles loaded with deceit (Ephesians 6:16).

Your post is devoid of scripture, so your post is ONLY your thoughts.

A word about your thoughts. It is written, "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,' declares the LORD. 'For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.'" (Isaiah 55:8-9).

Of the new Jerusalem, the Apostle John wrote "nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life" (Revelation 21:27) - notice that no one who practices lying gets in, and a human adding to scripture is the human lying.

And your claiming without one word of scripture, that God is the author of sin by causing Adam to sin because he had no free will, and had to disobey Gods command.

The god of scripture doesn’t give a command, cause someone to break that command, then punish them for breaking the command.

Who’s your god?

Reactions: Renniks

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disagree with you.
* God is all knowing. He knows WHAT we will "Elect / Choose to believe AND do" before we are naturally born.

Since God knows all things, and nothing occurs outside of God knowing, then just as Job said to YHWH "no purpose of Yours can be thwarted" (Job 42:2).

God does not depend on man as you portray, for thus it is written:
  • "All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, But He does according to His will in the host of heaven And [among] the inhabitants of earth; And no one can ward off His hand Or say to Him, 'What have You done?'" (Daniel 4:35)
  • "Stop regarding man, whose breath is in his nostrils; For why should he be esteemed?" (Isaiah 2:22)
"Believe in Jesus" is not controlled by man.

The whole package of "believe in Jesus" in persons is exclusively controlled by God for the Word of God says "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (Jesus Christ, John 6:29).

Taken, your very first bullet point has been shown in scripture to be deception.

Your first bullet point is just things you conjure in your mind without regard for the glory of the Author of salvation.

* Mankind is not all knowing. Mankind is naturally born without knowledge of God, without knowing, without loving, without believing in God....AKA...Against God.

Do you know scripture to support your second bullet point?

* Mankind has the opportunity to HEAR, LEARN, ABOUT God, and FREELY CHOOSE (ELECT) to BELIEVE what the man Hears, Learns ABOUT God...or FREELY CHOOSE to REJECT what the man Hears, Learns ABOUT God.

Man does not direct oneself to believe in Jesus because such a concept is denies the Power of God Who says "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (Jesus Christ, John 6:29).

The whole, complete, done package of "that you believe in Him whom He has sent" is limited to being "the work of God" per Christ (John 6:29).

Your use of "choose" toward Christ is antichrist because Christ says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation)

Your third bullet point is just things you conjure in your mind regaling against for the glory of the Author of salvation.

Disagree with you.
According to Scripture; The individual has the option to Hear and Learn About God, and Freely ACCEPT or REJECT what the man HEARS and LEARNS ABOUT GOD.
THAT ^ IS EXPRESSLY the individuals FREE WILL CHOICE / ELECTION.

You disagree with the Word of God for I quote the Word of God.

Look at how your section is devoid of scripture, so your thoughts/works of trying to tell God what to do are evident, and your works will fail.

Look at you, God could "miss the mark" on people hearing the Word. You are being pompous to claim God could sin like that!

The Word of God successfully opens ears to hear the Word of God (Mark 7:32-37), and the Word of God causes understanding of the heard Word of God (Acts 11:18).

Disagree with you.
God acknowledges, mankind WHO Freely Chooses / "elects" Him, and mankind WHO Freely Chooses / "elect" to Reject Him.

"You did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) says Lord Jesus.

'God acknowledges, mankind WHO Freely Chooses / "elects" Him' wrote Taken.

Look at that, Taken declared the opposite of Lord Jesus.

Gods Word of Truth, warns an individual, to BE informed and diligent BEFORE making their ELECTION (Choice).

2 Peter 1:
[10] Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Gods Word of Truth, acknowledges, an individuals Confession of Election of freely choosing God.

1 Thes 1:
[4] Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Peter wrote of God's "calling and choosing you" which is not man choosing God when Peter wrote "Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble" (2 Peter 1:10).

Paul wrote of God's "choice of you" which is not man choosing God when Paul wrote "knowing, brethren beloved by God, [His] choice of you" (1 Thessalonians 1:4).

Neither of those passages indicates that man chooses God, so you are trying to pit Paul against Jesus as well as you try to pit Peter against Jesus. Peter and Paul anad Jesus strictly declare that God chooses people.

There is no level that a person can choose Lord Jesus because He says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation) - Jesus, being God, did not provide any exception for choosing toward Jesus. Lord Jesus speaks to all believers in all time because He also said "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word" (John 17:20)! All these words of Jesus are at the same supper! All glory is God's! With man, salvation is impossible (Matthew 19:25-26)! All glory in the salvation of man is God's (John 15:5, Isaiah 42:8, Psalm 3:8)!

Adam could not choose God by obeying the command of God recorded in Genesis 2:16-17 because Adam was flesh and the flesh opposes God (Galatians 5:17).

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kermos said,
You reject the Word of God as revealed in item 1 of the original post because God prophesied that Adam would disobey (Genesis 2:17). You purport that Adam could have caused God to be a liar because Adam could have chosen God by way of Adam not ever eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, yet Adam disobeyed just as God prophesied about Adam.[/Quote\]

Yes you said that God prophesied at Genesis 2:17, I didn't. I disagreed with you that it was a prophecy. I have stated it was a command not a prophecy, at Genesis 2:17. What I did say is that by you saying that Genesis 2:17 was a prophecy, then you're saying by believing that, that it was God who set the course of disobedience for Adam because Adam nor any human can make any other choice than what God prophesied. So you are saying that God set the course of obedience for Adam because you say Genesis 2:17 is a prophecy, I'm not the one who says it was a prophecy you are, so since you believe that, then you're saying that God set sin and death in motion. Now that's a detestable and disgusting thing to believe about the True God but that's what your being, detestable and disgusting, by saying that Genesis 2 17 is a prophecy and not a command.
By the way if your saying Adam or any human can make a choice, such choose to be obedient or disobedient then that's free will. So what do you believe in, that mankind can make choices which means they're free moral agents or do you believe we don't have free will therefore we don't make choices but someone has made those choices for us.