Was Jesus crucified?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Was Jesus Crucified?
The Bible, the Qur'an, and History

Samuel Green

INTRODUCTION

Was Jesus crucified? This is a question Christians and Muslims often discuss. Christians are taught from the Bible and history that Jesus was publicly crucified and killed on a Roman cross around AD 33. His death on the cross is a central part of the Christian faith. Muslims, however, are taught that Jesus only appeared to be crucified and killed. Muslim leaders give a variety of explanations as to what it means that Jesus only appeared to be crucified and killed, these include that no one was crucified; someone else was crucified in Jesus’ place; Jesus was crucified but survived; or we cannot know what happened to Jesus.

How can we know which understanding is true? To answer this, we need to understand each view, examine the evidence for it, and then make a decision. This is what we will do in this article. First, we will consider which explanation of the crucifixion in the Qur’an makes the best sense. Then, we will consider the evidence from the Bible; then the evidence from history outside of the Bible. After this we will be able to make an informed decision and answer the question, was Jesus crucified?

This article has the following chapters:

The Qur’an and the Crucifixion
The Bible and the Crucifixion
History and the Crucifixion
If you are a Christian you should not assume you know what your Muslim friend believes about the crucifixion. Instead, ask what he or she believes happened to Jesus. You may like to read this article with your friend and discuss the ideas in it. It is available as a printable booklet.

If you are a Muslim, please read this article and work out for yourself which explanation of the Qur’an makes the best sense. Then consider the evidence from the Bible and history.

THE QUR’AN AND THE CRUCIFIXION

What does the Qur’an say about the crucifixion of Jesus? Muslim leaders and scholars give a variety of answers to this question. In this chapter we will consider these answers. Then we will read the verses ourselves and evaluate which answer makes the most sense.

Islamic explanations of the crucifixion

Explanation 1. No one was crucified. It was a vision.

In this explanation, there was no historical crucifixion. People saw an illusion or communal vision of Jesus being crucified and thought it was real.1

Explanation 2. No one was crucified. It is a myth made up by Christians.

Nasir al-Din al-Baydawi suggests the crucifixion story is a myth or a false report that Christians developed over time.2 There was no historical crucifixion. The crucifixion only appeared to have happened because people started saying it happened.

Explanation 3. Someone was substituted for Jesus.

The substitute theory is that there was a real crucifixion, and it appeared to be Jesus, but it was someone else. Many classical Islamic scholars hold this view.3 The idea of a substitute does not come from the Qur’an or from an explanation attributed to Muhammad, but from other interpreters of the Qur’an. Al-Tabari records eleven such explanations which differ widely in detail.4 Some say the substitute was a volunteer disciple, or that the Romans mistakenly crucified Barabbas or Simon of Cyrene, or that it was Judas, who was being punished for betraying Jesus.

Explanation 4. We do not know what happened.

This view says we cannot know any more than what the verses in the Qur’an say, and the verses only say that the Jewish leaders did not crucify or kill Jesus, even though it appeared they did. What exactly happened we do not know from the Qur'an. This view is held by the significant 20th century commentators Abdul A`la Maududi and Sayyid Qutb.5

The Qur’an explicitly states that the Jews did not succeed in putting Jesus to death and that Allah raised him to Himself, but it is silent about the nature and details of the matter and does neither say explicitly whether Allah raised him body and soul together from the earth to some place in heaven, nor that he died like other mortals and only his soul was raised to heaven. Therefore, on the basis of the Qur’an neither aspect can be definitely denied or affirmed. (S. Abdul A`La Maududi)6

Explanation 5. Jesus was crucified by the Romans, not the Jewish Leaders.

The Qur’an says that the Jews did not crucify or kill Jesus; it never says “Jesus was not crucified or killed.” This observation has led some to suggest that the Qur’an is not denying the historical crucifixion of Jesus, but denying that it was the Jews who did it. They say it was the Romans who crucified Jesus and it only appeared to be the Jews.7

Explanation 6. Jesus’ body was crucified, but his soul was taken in sleep.

This explanation says that Jesus’ soul left his body without him being killed and only his body was crucified, so he appeared to die.8 This idea is based on a teaching in the Qur’an that says God takes our soul not only at death but also when we sleep.

God takes the souls at the time of their death; and in their sleep those that have not died. (Qur’an 39:42)

Therefore, when Jesus was on the cross, he fainted and was asleep due to exhaustion, and his soul was taken by God and not returned. It appeared to the unbelievers that they had killed Jesus but they had not.

Explanation 7. Refuting the Jewish Talmud

This explanation says the Qur’an is refuting the death of Jesus as it is presented in the Jewish Talmud.9 The Talmud says that Jesus was stoned and then crucified. The Qur’an is said to be correcting this by saying he was not stoned and then crucified this way. Thus the Qur’an is rejecting the Jewish account in the Talmud but not the Christian account in the Bible.

Explanation 8. Jesus was crucified but survived.

Ahmadiya10 Muslims and Shabir Ally11 believe that Jesus was crucified, he fainted and appeared dead, but survived. Therefore, the crucifixion only appeared to be successful at killing him.

When teaching the Qur’an, Ahmed Deedat refused to give an explanation of what happened to Jesus.12 However, he repeatedly claimed that the Bible taught Jesus was crucified but survived.13

Reactions: marks

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said she said ....

One of the things that needs to be considered is extrabiblical accounts (at the time)
There are many many writings from first hand accounts of the crucifixion .... And I can promise you if it didn't happen ... it would have been written about.
I don't need extrabiblical, the Word of God is my only source for faith, practice and Truth ....but it is a good source for reference for those who have questions.

Reactions: Johann

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus Crucified?
The Bible, the Qur'an, and History

Samuel Green

INTRODUCTION

Was Jesus crucified? This is a question Christians and Muslims often discuss.

NO, it is NOT a question that Christians entertain.

It is a question that UNBELIEVING JEWS and PAGANS that reject Christ entertain.

The definition of a Christian is one who BELIEVES the death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth as The Christ. Can't be a real Christian and not believe it.

If there is no death on the cross by Christ Jesus, then there is no resurrection, and thus no remission of sins, and no Salvation. THAT... is why the false Jews and pagans continually attack Christianity.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
NO, it is NOT a question that Christians entertain.

It is a question that UNBELIEVING JEWS and PAGANS that reject Christ entertain.
Please @Davy don't highlight excerpts of what I have posted without reading the link.
You know it all-no one here can say anything to you-you are above correction.

I'm trying to be friendly here.
Johann.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please @Davy don't highlight excerpts of what I have posted without reading the link.
You know it all-no one here can say anything to you-you are above correction.

I'm trying to be friendly here.
Johann.
I just showed how only 'one' seriously untrue statement can ruin your credibility, and actually reveal the probability of a deeper hidden agenda. All true Christians well understand being against government and the rule of law is NOT a Christian doctrine, so the two words "Christian Anarchist" should NEVER BE JOINED TOGETHER LIKE YOU DID.

Therefore, you are not to be trusted.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel led by The Holy Spirit to something else about this thread.

NO true Christian should EVER entertain this subject and question about whether or not Lord Jesus Christ died on His cross and was raised by The Father after the third day, as written.

Covering such a topic of the DOUBTERS OF CHRIST'S DEATH AND RESURRECTION is NOT a mark of a true Christian, but a doubter, and especially of those like the Gnostics who still exist today. The 2nd century A.D. Gnostics crept into Christ's Church and pushed the LIE that Jesus did not actually die on the cross, but was taken down by His disciples, and lived to old age, married and had children.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I just showed how only 'one' seriously untrue statement can ruin your credibility, and actually reveal the probability of a deeper hidden agenda. All true Christians well understand being against government and the rule of law is NOT a Christian doctrine, so the two words "Christian Anarchist" should NEVER BE JOINED TOGETHER LIKE YOU DID.

Therefore, you are not to be trusted.
You are misrepresenting me here-not having read what I have posted hypocrite.
What have I posted to get this vehement reaction?
Are you lonely?
I'm done wasting my time with you chanef.
Shalom
Johann.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are misrepresenting me here-not having read what I have posted hypocrite.
What have I posted to get this vehement reaction?
Are you lonely?
I'm done wasting my time with you chanef.
Shalom
Johann.
I don't heed Judaizers who think to call Christians Anarchists! May God rebuke your falseness. This DOUBTING subject you are pushing is an ANTI-CHRISTIAN doctrine!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I don't heed Judaizers who think to call Christians Anarchists! May God rebuke your falseness. This DOUBTING subject you are pushing is an ANTI-CHRISTIAN doctrine!
Before I block you-show me where I said we are to "heed Judaizers who think to call Christians Anarchists"
Thanks
Johann.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Davy - if you go to the link and work down through the rest of the article ( granted it is a long read ) you will see that this is about how to respond to Muslims regarding the crucifixion. It is not denying the cross, but showing all the evidence from History and Christianity so that what Muslims believe can be challenged, or at least that is how I have interpreted what Johann is referencing.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
@Davy - if you go to the link and work down through the rest of the article ( granted it is a long read ) you will see that this is about how to respond to Muslims regarding the crucifixion. It is not denying the cross, but showing all the evidence from History and Christianity so that what Muslims believe can be challenged, or at least that is how I have interpreted what Johann is referencing.
Thank you @Rita
God bless
Johann.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The post subject is bogus to begin with. There is no such thing as a "Christian Anarchist", and this subject should never be entertained by a believing Christian, regardless of what non-Christians believe or think about us. We are to stay with preaching The Gospel of Christ Jesus and His death and resurrection, and let God sort out those who refuse to believe.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The post subject is bogus to begin with. There is no such thing as a "Christian Anarchist", and this subject should never be entertained by a believing Christian, regardless of what non-Christians believe or think about us. We are to stay with preaching The Gospel of Christ Jesus and His death and resurrection, and let God sort out those who refuse to believe.
You are narrow-minded @Davy and have not read the link given-here where I am I have a lot of Muslim brothers and sisters and maybe you should visit Jews for Judaism to see what they think of us "Christians"-speaking from experience, not sucking things from my thumb.
I proof read everything before I post-but our sister have already explained that which is above your paygrade-to you.
Enjoy your day.
Johann.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly as I see it too Rita. Yes it is long but, it is good information.

Reactions: amadeus and Rita

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
That is exactly as I see it too Rita. Yes it is long but, it is good information.
Praise God!
@Nancy how long do you know me? Would I ever bring dishonor upon the name of OUR Lord Christ Jesus?
The information is there-it's free-and I know Sam.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I DO know, I will gladly share-for your edification and others.
God bless
Johann.

Reactions: Nancy

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything posted is a misreprentation of what happened. Jesus is tried illegally according to Jewish law. In the trial, Pilate ends with a conviction and a surprising statement. "You have a guard, go and guard it the best you know how." In other words he commanded a Roman Guard to take over the entire process. He was cruficied under the control of the Romans. Joseph goes and pleads for the body before he is removed from the cross. When the followers took Jesus to the tomb .......Roman Guards watched over them. They are responsible for the body and the tomb. How many? Military function says anywhere from 16-24 Guards were present. All that art you see is creation of artist in the medieval period. Not based on history. After the body was place in the tomb and preparation began .....the sun was setting and the process was stopped. However. The Roman Guards closed the tomb and sealed it. Sealing is a process that only the Romans have the authority to do. A fist full of wax, pressed over the end of a cord, then a seal with image of Ceasar pressed into the wax. The cord is streatched to the other side of the stone, wax pressed into the stone and the image of Ceasar pressed into the wax. Only Romans can guard this seal. These are not ordinary soldiers .....they are the Navy Seals, Green Berret, Special Opps .......it is said that should you ever battle a guard and get within five feet .....your life is frankly cut in half.

So my question is this ......it's not just one or two people taking Christ off the cross .....it's an entire Roman Guard. The followers more than likely carried him in the tomb to be prepared......but the last person out was the Roman Centurian tasked with the command to guard the body and the tomb. Standard proceedure for these guys .....Four stand watch for four hours, the next four take over and watch for four hours ......the remainder sleep in a semi circle before the tomb. At anyone time 12-16 soldiers are awake shutting down or getting ready for duty ......When was this theft supposed to take place?
The penalty for those on the four hour watch for falling asleep? The entire Guard is removed and marched into the fortress. Another guard assigned to take over. Once inside .....the soldier in question is stripped of all his armor and garmets. They are set on fire. The other Guards are in a circle. they begin to close in. The condeemed guard is beaten until he can resist no more. Almost unconsious, he is placed on the fire and burned alive ......Somehow, if I were a Roman Guard and witnessed that ......I don't think I would be falling asleep on duty....
When Christ is risen and the tomb is empty .......some(not one, not two) of the guard tells the High Priest and begs him to convince Pilate to not condem the soldiers ......At that point the entire Palace and Temple knows what happened .......and it wasn't non existing Muslims or anyone else to create a work of fiction ........Remember, Mulsims do not exist at this time .....

Reactions: Brakelite

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God!
@Nancy how long do you know me? Would I ever bring dishonor upon the name of OUR Lord Christ Jesus?
The information is there-it's free-and I know Sam.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I DO know, I will gladly share-for your edification and others.
God bless
Johann.
I know you are a true Christian Johann, yes!

It is interesting and I think to myself that, yes, Islam believes that Jesus existed and many thought Him to be a prophet of "Allah" . They have many (10?) arguments against the crucifixion. History - writings of those who witnessed Him alive after being buried and then rose again 3 days later, like He said He would AND the best of all, the bible is also considered historical.

I did have to toggle some, lol, to get to the Christian's account though.
Bless you brother.

• Love
Reactions: amadeus and Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Remember, Mulsims do not exist at this time
Where do you think Muhammed received his "religion" from?
Muslims did NOT exist at this time?

An Evaluation of Islam
Compared to Christianity, Islam has some similarities but significant differences as well. Like Christianity, Islam is monotheistic. However, Muslims reject .....

Muslims claim that Jesus was one of the most important prophets—not God’s Son. Islam asserts that Jesus, though born of a virgin, was created like Adam. Muslims do not believe Jesus died on the cross. They do not understand why Allah would allow His prophet Isa (the Islamic word for "Jesus") to die a torturous death. Yet the Bible shows how the death of the perfect Son of God was essential to pay for the sins of the world (Isaiah 53:5-6; John 3:16; 14:6; 1 Peter 2:24).

Islam teaches that the Qur'an is the final authority and the last revelation of Allah. The Bible, however, was completed in the first century with the book of Revelation. The Bible warns against anyone adding to or subtracting from God’s Word (Deuteronomy 4:2; Proverbs 30:6; Galatians 1:6-12; Revelation 22:18). The Qur’an, as a claimed addition to God’s Word, directly disobeys God’s command.

Muslims believe that paradise can be earned through keeping the Five Pillars. The Bible, in contrast, reveals that sinful man can never measure up to the holy God (Romans 3:23; 6:23). Only by God’s grace may sinners be saved through repentant faith in Jesus (Acts 20:21; Ephesians 2:8-9).

Because of these essential differences and contradictions, Islam and Christianity cannot both be true. The Bible and Qur’an cannot both be God’s Word. The truth has eternal consequences.

You want me to prove your erroneous statement?
Just a aside-are Muslims welcomed on this Forum?
Johann.

Reactions: Nancy
Status
Not open for further replies.