Was Judas Iscariot saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The word "saved" in the Bible is ambiguous. Judas was temporarily saved in the sense that he was a chosen disciple of Jesus. However, Judas never had eternal life in him, John 6:

68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”
70 Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!” 71 (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)
Judas was a devil even when he was a disciple with Jesus, John 17:

12 "While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled."
NIV, Matthew 26:

24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”
Jesus knew Judas would never repent.

They found a replacement for Judas, Acts 1:

24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.”
Judas did not belong to heaven.

No, not for eternal life.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "saved" in the Bible is ambiguous. Judas was temporarily saved in the sense that he was a chosen disciple of Jesus. However, Judas never had eternal life in him, John 6:

NIV, Matthew 26:

Good point. The biblical sense of "salvation" seems to have evolved from biblical times to the NT era. It originally meant to experience Divine deliverance from God's judgments. And that came to be secured temporarily through the Law, and by Israel's obedience to the Law.

When Israel made covenant with God and lived accordingly, God would deliver them from their enemies and from forces of destruction that punished them for their disobedience. Obedience coupled with mercy meant, in a sense, "salvation." They were preserved in relationship with God as they submitted to the ways of living for Man that God dictated to them.

However, this was just a "temporary Salvation" because as much as Israel was delivered from various punishments they still could not be delivered from death. It is our connection with Jesus that brings the promise of Eternal Life, together with the obedience we now practice, bringing close fellowship and blessings from God. The deliverance from death is guaranteed but experienced only when Christ comes back.

That is how Christians define "Salvation" today, as our making covenant with God through our commitment to and trust in Christ, whose work enables us to not just live in obedience to God but also embrace his ways as the path to Eternal Life.

Judas did have a semblance of a relationship with Jesus. But he did not fully commit to Jesus as the way of obedience. Hence, he never had Eternal Life, his having rejected Jesus as the only way for Man. Being Jesus' disciples means to live by his spiritual life alone, and not by our own independent judgments. Everything Judas did indicated his lived by his own judgments, even if he participated in the discipleship training of Jesus.

Reactions: amadeus

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's true, "saved" has several connotations. The real question is, do you know God, have you been born again?

Much love!
In short, yes! Amen. The covenants of God have always required that we sacrifice our own independent judgments for a life committed exclusively to the spirit and righteousness of God.

That is encompassed in the life of Jesus, who has now given us his Spirit to enable us to live in full commitment to the life and ways of God. To live exclusively by the spiritual life of Christ is being "Born Again."

It is no longer living by the natural man, which has been alienated from God. It is choosing to live by the spiritual man, who is Christ. :)

• Love
Reactions: marks

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saved is past tense....
Not future tense....
Not present tense.

Saved is something that happens AFTER you die....
Mostly

There is the FREEDOM from sin that accompanies following the Gospel message but that's not exactly what is presently being discussed.

And there is the "Tabernacling" with God while here on Earth.....
Bur again another diversion from discussing eternal life.

So...Judas was not "Saved" from eternal damnation. He ran to it.

BUT

Did he believe Jesus was the Messiah?
Yes he did. After 3½ years of walking with Jesus....that pretty much speaks to belief.

So....
The real question for clarity is:

"Where did Judas go wrong?"

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saved is past tense....
Not future tense....
Not present tense.

Saved is something that happens AFTER you die....
Mostly
Not really. "Salvation" is a word that had meaning for Israel in the present world as they were delivered from their enemies and various plagues and punishments. They were delivered by obedience to the Law. This was, for them, "salvation."

But as you indicate, there is a wider scope to the whole idea of deliverance from punishment. Man had never really been restored after the Fall, being that we still die. And so, you rightly point to a future resurrection, after we die. But you shouldn't ignore any present sense of "salvation" either!
There is the FREEDOM from sin that accompanies following the Gospel message but that's not exactly what is presently being discussed.

And there is the "Tabernacling" with God while here on Earth.....
Bur again another diversion from discussing eternal life.
Tabernacling with God and living a life of repentance from sin is being "born again," or living by a new nature, freed from the condemnation of sin. Israel had always been told to live by the spirituality and righteousness of God, as opposed to life of independence from God and sin. But they never had, until Christ, freedom from the condemnation of sin.

And so, we call living in the spirituality and righteousness of God today "living in Christ" and "new life." It is a "new nature," associated with Christ's perfection in the legal sense even though we still remain "sinners" in our carnal nature.

This is "salvation" as Christians use the term. It is "life in Christ" and has everything to do with how we live today. Eternal Life begins, therefore, today, and not just after death, in my view. We are delivered from God's punishment today, just as Israel was delivered from their enemies and from punishments in their own day. None of this requires that we die to be "saved."
So...Judas was not "Saved" from eternal damnation. He ran to it.

BUT

Did he believe Jesus was the Messiah?
Yes he did. After 3½ years of walking with Jesus....that pretty much speaks to belief.

So....
The real question for clarity is:

"Where did Judas go wrong?"
Belief that Jesus was the Messiah is not necessarily Salvation, although it can be. In Judas' case, his belief did not translate into "new life." He did not adopt the spirituality and righteousness associated with living in Christ alone, as opposed to our own carnal ways and independent judgments. We are to live in partnership with Christ alone, to be "saved." Otherwise, we are still under the wrath and punishment of God.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No flesh-born man has been judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire" yet.

And that "lake of fire" event happens for the unsaved after... Christ's future "thousand years" reign, which cannot begin until Jesus returns.

Understand that Apostle Paul used the phrase "son of perdition" for the coming "man of sin" in 2 Thess.2. And Judas had by that time been long dead when Paul wrote 2 Thess.2. Thus when Lord Jesus called Judas a 'son of perdition', He was actually referring to Judas following the real "son of perdition", i.e., the devil.

The reason why that "son of perdition" label applies to the devil, or Satan, is because ONLY Satan and his angels have been already judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire" after Christ's future 1,000 years reign, and after God's Great White Throne Judgment.

For this reason, those in Christ, have NO authority to say anyone born in the flesh, has already been judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire". We say one may 'be in danger' of hellfire, but we cannot say they already going to perish. Only Lord Jesus has that Authority.

So study your Bible more.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptures tell us in Matthew 12:31 “Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven." Those who sin against the holy spirit, die the second death, where there is no resurrection/salvation. Judas NEVER had the holy spirit, so he couldn't have sinned against it. Did he betray Jesus? yes, it was prophesied, someone had too. Remember, Judas' sin was against Jesus, not against the spirit.

"Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." (vs 32)

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I believe he was saved. From the cross Jesus forgave him because Judas knew not what he did when he betrayed Jesus.

Satan had entered Judas and led him to betray Christ. Which means once again Satan served God and his plan. Which interestingly enough was not good news for Satan.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No flesh-born man has been judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire" yet.

And that "lake of fire" event happens for the unsaved after... Christ's future "thousand years" reign, which cannot begin until Jesus returns.

Understand that Apostle Paul used the phrase "son of perdition" for the coming "man of sin" in 2 Thess.2. And Judas had by that time been long dead when Paul wrote 2 Thess.2. Thus when Lord Jesus called Judas a 'son of perdition', He was actually referring to Judas following the real "son of perdition", i.e., the devil.

The reason why that "son of perdition" label applies to the devil, or Satan, is because ONLY Satan and his angels have been already judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire" after Christ's future 1,000 years reign, and after God's Great White Throne Judgment.

For this reason, those in Christ, have NO authority to say anyone born in the flesh, has already been judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire". We say one may 'be in danger' of hellfire, but we cannot say they already going to perish. Only Lord Jesus has that Authority.

So study your Bible more.
That certainly puts the Hell's population click thread in the proper light. Well done. :)

Reactions: Davy

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I believe he was saved. From the cross Jesus forgave him because Judas knew not what he did when he betrayed Jesus.

Satan had entered Judas and led him to betray Christ. Which means once again Satan served God and his plan. Which interestingly enough was not good news for Satan.
One thing is for certain, Judas has not yet been judged and sentenced to perish in the "lake of fire". No flesh-born man has yet, as that day only happens after Christ's future "thousand years" reign with His elect of Rev.20.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There it is, to be saved one must be "born again" of The Spirit.

That is the difference today with the unbeliever today that refuses to believe on Jesus Christ, and thus is not born again of The Spirit. It's also why Lord Jesus used the analogy of the unbelieving Pharisees being like whited tombs that appear clean outside but inside are full of dead men's bones. Another place Jesus compared them to graves that men walk over and are not aware of them, again referring to their spirit-soul condition being spiritually dead.

That spiritually dead condition will continue for the unsaved after Christ's future return, even for those of the "resurrection of damnation" that will be raised to the "spiritual body" also.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judas Iscariot was an unbelieving, unclean devil who betrayed Jesus. (John 6:64-71; 13:10-11)

John 13:18 - I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; BUT that the scripture may be fulfilled, 'He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.'

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NIV, Matthew 26:

No, being justified is tied to santification, or a change that transforms. Judas never accept Christ with his heart, he was given the chance but let the devil take over instead.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's quite possible that Judas was not acting on his own decisions when his body betrayed Jesus:

Luke 22:3 Then Satan entered Judas, surnamed Iscariot, who was numbered among the twelve.

There are other passages that refer to demons trying to kill people when they are possessed. I believe free agency has to be active for proper judgment to be passed on someone:

Mark 9:22 And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judas Iscariot was an unbelieving, unclean devil who betrayed Jesus. (John 6:64-71; 13:10-11)

John 13:18 - I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; BUT that the scripture may be fulfilled, 'He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.'
Still don't mean Judas has already been judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire".

True Christians do not... believe in a GOD that judges and sentences any flesh-born man to burn in the future "lake of fire" before His GWT Judgment after Christ's future "thousand years" reign.

Only Satan and his angels have already been judged and sentenced to perish in that "lake of fire". Thus we are NOT to judge any soul to perish in that "lake of fire", for only Jesus Christ has that Authority. And even at Jesus' 1st coming, He was careful to never say one born flesh is already judged and sentenced to the "lake of fire". He instead phrased His warning like 'being in danger of hellfire', but never like, 'this man will go into the lake of fire'.

And in case you don't understand about the English translation to the word "hell", only in certain places in the Greek was Jesus pointing to the future "lake of fire" with that word. It is actually 3 different Greek words in the NT manuscripts. Hades (Greek haides) as "hell" is NOT the "lake of fire". Per the end of Rev.20 the abode of 'hell' goes into... the future "lake of fire".