Was Paul's gospel known?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 2:7-8
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,
8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
NKJV

I take these scriptures to mean exactly what they say. Paul's "hidden in God" message of grace was not known before Jesus gave it to Paul. Other wise this verse is not true.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,
8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
NKJV

I take these scriptures to mean exactly what they say. Paul's "hidden in God" message of grace was not known before Jesus gave it to Paul. Other wise this verse is not true.

I agree, it was hidden in God's heart from the beginning, always God's Plan.
...until 'the appointed time' ( times and seasons) when Jesus called Paul and gave him his commission and ministry ...revealing the wonderful mystery of "Christ in you the hope of glory."

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
NKJV

Why would Jesus inspire Paul to write a "hidden message" which He Himself did not preach?

Interesting thread.
Will be back in two days. Hope it contunues...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why would Jesus inspire Paul to write a "hidden message" which He Himself did not preach?

Interesting thread.

I see many many scriptures speaking of 'at the appointed time'...
and "in due time." I believe Paul was called for this one ministry of further revelation of the 'precious things of God.'

That's what I believe.....H.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I see many many scriptures speaking of 'at the appointed time'...
and "in due time." I believe Paul was called for this one ministry of further revelation of the 'precious things of God.'

That's what I believe.....H.
About that, seems when you start really following Christ all you seem to do is wait, the patients of teh saints. Imagine what it must of being like to be told 2000 years ago,

Joh_4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

and here we are still waiting.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
well, it does say "we," iow others knew of it too? Also a mystery can still be a mystery even after several/many people know about it i think.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
About that, seems when you start really following Christ all you seem to do is wait, the patients of teh saints. Imagine what it must of being like to be told 2000 years ago,

Joh_4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

Word. See, here we are being told to not be waiting even

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Interesting thread.

The answer is simple. Because the Jews rejected His message that He was their Messiah and King. Jesus came to complete the promises He made to the Jews, NOT the Gentiles. Does anyone not see that Jesus could not fulfill His mission because of unbelief. Does anyone see that the Jewish program could not go forward as a Jewish model? It had to be different and it had to be salvation by the works of God on the cross.

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

The answer is simple. Because the Jews rejected His message that He was their Messiah and King. Jesus came to complete the promises He made to the Jews, NOT the Gentiles. Does anyone not see that Jesus could not fulfill His mission because of unbelief. Does anyone see that the Jewish program could not go forward as a Jewish model? It had to be different and it had to be salvation by the works of God on the cross.
Could you or @bygrace please tell me what the further revelation is?

It's Always been my understanding that JESUS is the ultimate revelation and that there is to be NO FURTHER revelation after Him.

There COULD BE some explanation as to what He said, but no new revelation.
This is why we have the mormons and the JW's.

Rev 22:18 refers to the book of Revelation, but it could refer to the entire Word of God through Jesus.

Hebrews 1 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
God’s Final Word in His Son

1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,

2 in these last days has spoken to us His Son, whom He appointed G)'>heir of all things,through whom also He made the world.

3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you or @bygrace please tell me what the further revelation is?

It's Always been my understanding that JESUS is the ultimate revelation and that there is to be NO FURTHER revelation after Him.

There COULD BE some explanation as to what He said, but no new revelation.
This is why we have the mormons and the JW's.

Rev 22:18 refers to the book of Revelation, but it could refer to the entire Word of God through Jesus.

Hebrews 1 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
God’s Final Word in His Son

1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,

2 in these last days has spoken to us His Son, whom He appointed G)'>heir of all things,through whom also He made the world.

3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
Jesus was sent to the Jews only to fulfill all the promises made to the Jews. Gentiles are not Jews. So why do people insist that what He taught the Jews, who were under the Law of Moses, are for us today under grace

Jesus sent Paul out into the world with a message of God's grace. We are no longer under the law of Moses. There was an age of law and now there is an age of grace without the law. If people continue to mix law with grace the Bible will not make any sense. Jesus was sent to the Jews. Paul was sent BY JESUS to the world.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Remember King Saul, when Samuel tarried and Saul did the Sacrifice, Remember what Jesus said, that Abraham rejoiced to see His Day, and the Pharisees said you are not yet 50 years old, And Paul says that He spent Time in Saudi Arabia, Maybe Our Lord reveled to Him more than we Can imagine! remember the 10 Virgins, the Bride groom Tarried and they had to go back [into the world] to get more oil, then the Bride Groom came, and the others were shut out, We are still here because because the Groom tarries, you are right " The Patients of the Saints" stand firm in your Faith until !!!!!!!!!!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus sent Paul out into the world with a message of God's grace. We are no longer under the law of Moses. There was an age of law and now there is an age of grace without the law. If people continue to mix law with grace the Bible will not make any sense. Jesus was sent to the Jews. Paul was sent BY JESUS to the world.

Amen. Another totally CLEAR word laying out the truth.
Why Oh why is it so hard for people to see it?
But then again....I also bought into the wrong doctrine when I first believed.
Do you believe that revelation comes to us by God's Spirit, in His timing....
Or do you believe that some are more 'open' to God revealing new realms of truth.

I think I may have said before. I pray continually- " Father keep me from believing that I have already " arrived'...keep me always open and teachable. "
There is so much depth in God's word...even all these years later, we haven't hardly begun to scratched the surface.. :)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think I may have said before. I pray continually- " Father keep me from believing that I have already " arrived'...keep me always open and teachable. "

Nicely put, but its hard to be teachable when your head is already filled with "knowledge". Which is why so much learning keeps people from God.

Reactions: Truth and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Jesus was sent to the Jews only to fulfill all the promises made to the Jews. Gentiles are not Jews. So why do people insist that what He taught the Jews, who were under the Law of Moses, are for us today under grace

Oh no.
This is one of the more silly things I've ever heard.

WHEN did God change?
At exactly what point?

Are you familiar with the Abrahamic Covenant?
Are you aware that way back then God told Abraham he would be the father of MANY NATIONS, his seed would be as plentiful as the stars.

Do you believe GOD, from the beginning of time, meant to save ONLY the Jews??
Genesis 3:15 WHO is the seed of the WOMAN? ONLY the Jews, or all of mankind?

Could it be that God USED the Jews to reveal Himself because they were a people who believed in tradition and the oral passing on of history?

Jesus HIMSELF said He had other sheep...
John 10:16

Jesus said He did not come to ABOLISH the Law
Mathew 5:17
He said that anyone teaching this shall be called the least in the Kingdom.
Mathew 5:19

AND, HOW does grace annul the Law if JESUS Himself said the Law is not annulled?

The New Covenant does not annul the Law,
It just provides us with a new and better way to keep it.
Hebrews 10:20

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh no.
This is one of the more silly things I've ever heard.

WHEN did God change?
At exactly what point?

Are you familiar with the Abrahamic Covenant?
Are you aware that way back then God told Abraham he would be the father of MANY NATIONS, his seed would be as plentiful as the stars.

Do you believe GOD, from the beginning of time, meant to save ONLY the Jews??
Genesis 3:15 WHO is the seed of the WOMAN? ONLY the Jews, or all of mankind?

Could it be that God USED the Jews to reveal Himself because they were a people who believed in tradition and the oral passing on of history?

Jesus HIMSELF said He had other sheep...
John 10:16

Jesus said He did not come to ABOLISH the Law
Mathew 5:17
He said that anyone teaching this shall be called the least in the Kingdom.
Mathew 5:19

AND, HOW does grace annul the Law if JESUS Himself said the Law is not annulled?

The New Covenant does not annul the Law,
It just provides us with a new and better way to keep it.
Hebrews 10:20
Sorry you think it is silly because only the gospel of grace is in effect today. No one can keep the law.
When did God change? God never changed but He had a gospel of grace for the whole world when the Jews rejected Him. The scriptures say it was """HIDDEN IN GOD""". Exactly at what point? When JESUS, you know who that is, right, sent Paul out into the world with the gospel of grace.

Jesus did not ABOLISH the law, that is the point. He was under the law as were the Jews. Under grace, God has set aside the law for those under grace. His shed blood has atoned for, paid for, all the sins of the world. everyone has a pardon but it only applies if you believe it exists. It is obvious that those who do not believe it add man's works to complete salvation.

Salvation is the work of God on the cross, not man's work. All of the glory for man's salvation goes to Jesus and it is not to be shared with those that think they are self righteous by their works.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Grace burst forth spontaneously from the bosom of eternal love and rested not until it had removed every impediment and found its way to the sinner's side, swelling round him in full flow.

Grace does away the distance between the sinner and God, which sin had created.

Grace meets the sinner on the spot where he stands; grace approaches him just as he is.
Grace does not wait till there is something to attract it nor till a good reason is found in the sinner for its flowing to him... It was free, sovereign grace when it first thought of the sinner; it was free grace when it found and laid hold of him; and it is free grace when it hands him up into glory."

~ Horatius Bonar ~

Reactions: FHII

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He comes as He promised: "quickly" to every generation, for life passes quickly.

So, then, we wait, not upon His coming, but upon our own ability to bear the more He had to say:
John 16:12
I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There was an age of law and now there is an age of grace without the law. If people continue to mix law with grace the Bible will not make any sense.
yet do you not have a "Law" unto salvation? Grace might be the ideal, but we are as mired in Law as any Jew ever was imo

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yet do you not have a "Law" unto salvation? Grace might be the ideal, but we are as mired in Law as any Jew ever was imo
Just what do you think Jesus' shed blood atoned for? Was it limited? The most wonderful thing about grace is that everyone is on a level playing field because all have, and do, sin. But Jesus' shed blood was God's power to atone for the sins of the whole world. If a person does not believe it they will not be in heaven because of unbelief.