Was Peter the first Pope?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello RR,

You are incorrect. The 'tradition' is not based on any scripture but on the authority of Christ handed on through the apostles. The Church was active and growing before one letter of the NT was penned.

Try again.

Pax et Bonum
=> THERE IS NO MENTION OF THE CATHOLIC DENOMINATION IN THE BIBLE. <= All the apostles and all the authors of Scripture were Jews (with the sole exception of Luke). They were not Catholics!

The Jewish Church was active and growing before one letter of the NT was penned.

Reactions: David in NJ

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And they will do it just as it was done to Christ . The religoious could not put him to death
so they delivered him over unto the gentile ruler .
THIS pattern has been the same . the harlot had many killed . but she herself turned them over
unto the gentile kings . THIS aint no new pattern , BUT IT WILL BE MUCH WORSE. by worse i mean a much larger number .
The laws are coming in my friend . Churches are already being groomed
to be on the lookout for those who dont conform . AND SOON enough
many will be reported to the authorities by these so called sold out churches and nations . ITS COMING DAVID .
And the lambs shall not fear man or what he can do . Faithful to CHRIST no matter the cost . BUT IT IS COMING DAVID .
As you WELL KNOW IT IS . and the religions of the world will believe they are doing the will of GOD
when folks like us get rounded up and even killed . ITS Not a new pattern EITHER .
ONLY again this one will be HUGE . THE LORD WILL END the harlot on HIS DAY .
TILL then we had better be ready to suffer and die for HIS NAME sake .
This is nothing but total nonsense!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent Post!

I'm stepping out the door now but i will address this when i get back.
It is a city . its JERUSALEM . BUT remember WHO IS BEHIND IT ALL . THE ONE WORLD RELIGOIN .
The harlot has not slept . The mystery of inquity has not slept
it has run its course to the final hour . ROME has long been behind this , and the jews have joined with her
as have muslims and many , secular and all . THIS WILL AGAIN be centered RIGHT IN JERUSALEM .
The harlot has indeed done her work through many religions she has worked , even reaching the secular
with a mindset of a love of which all religoins and secular can embrace .
THE RCC is wicked to its core and it has infiltrated all places and will sit with her religoin over JERSUALEM .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone here actually believe that Peter would have tolerated people calling him "Holy Father"?

Not a chance.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
=> THERE IS NO MENTION OF THE CATHOLIC DENOMINATION IN THE BIBLE. <= All the apostles and all the authors of Scripture were Jews (with the sole exception of Luke). They were not Catholics!

The Jewish Church was active and growing before one letter of the NT was penned.
They were the original Catholics.

Acts 9:31
talks about how the Early Church grew throughout the region. The language used here describes the Catholic Church:
“Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria experienced peace and thus was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and in the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, the church increased in numbers.”

Here is the phrase in Greek:
η μεν ουν εκκλησια καθ ολης της ιουδαιας

The Catholic Church gets its name from the GREEK for “according to the whole” and “universal” - εκκλησια καθ ολης, which is pronounced “katah-holos”.

Εκκλησια (ekklesia) - A gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly; CHURCH
καθ (katah) - Through out, according to
ολης (holos) - All, whole, completely
"ekklesia Kata-holos"
= CATHOLIC CHURCH.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make sure you review the Holy Scriptures in Posts #28 & #30 and submit yourself unto the teachings of Christ and the Apostles.
I did and I already explained it in post #33.
You obviously didn't READ it . . .

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Peter the first Pope? Well... He wasn't a very good one!

7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do. - Galatians 2

11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. - Galatians 2

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did and I already explained it in post #33.
You obviously didn't READ it . . .
Post #33 comes to a errant conclusion as you seek to justify your religion.

SAME as the unrepentant Jews, JW's and all other religions.

Posts #28 & #30 are VERIFIED TRUTH that can Save a man/woman from their sins and deception.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Peter was definitely not the first pope because until the Catholic church was founded many years after Peter's death, there were no popes.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Post #33 comes to a errant conclusion as you seek to justify your religion.

SAME as the unrepentant Jews, JW's and all other religions.

Posts #28 & #30 are VERIFIED TRUTH that can Save a man/woman from their sins and deception.
If I has known that one of YOUR posts could save me - why do I need God?

Talk about
arrogance . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter was definitely not the first pope because until the Catholic church was founded many years after Peter's death, there were no popes.
Soooooo, how many tears after Peter's death was the Catholic Church founded?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic church... Noting the Roman Catholic church. The Catholic church by name alone was founded in Rome. The church before that was Orthodox.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a city . its JERUSALEM . BUT remember WHO IS BEHIND IT ALL . THE ONE WORLD RELIGOIN .
The harlot has not slept . The mystery of inquity has not slept
it has run its course to the final hour . ROME has long been behind this , and the jews have joined with her
as have muslims and many , secular and all . THIS WILL AGAIN be centered RIGHT IN JERUSALEM .
The harlot has indeed done her work through many religions she has worked , even reaching the secular
with a mindset of a love of which all religoins and secular can embrace .
THE RCC is wicked to its core and it has infiltrated all places and will sit with her religoin over JERSUALEM .
the One World Religion began in Genesis

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I has known that one of YOUR posts could save me - why do I need God?

Talk about
arrogance . . .
ignorance is defined by you Post #51

i said: "make sure you submit to the teachings of Christ and the Apostles that are in my Posts #28 & #30."

Not my words, silly rabbit, but the words of Christ and the Holy Apostles.

Reactions: amigo de christo

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic church... Noting the Roman Catholic church. The Catholic church by name alone was founded in Rome. The church before that was Orthodox.
There is no "Roman" Catholic Church.
There is only the Catholic Church.

"Roman" or "Latin" simply refers to a Liturgical Rite.
There are about TWENTY Liturgical Rites that comprice the ONE Catholic Church.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
REALLY?
Show me a document that indicates this.
Here's ine that says you're wrong from a FIRST century Bishop:

Ignatius of Antioch

Follow your bishop, every one of you, as obediently as Jesus Christ followed the Father. Obey your clergy too as you would the apostles; give your deacons the same reverence that you would to a command of God. Make sure that no step affecting the Church is ever taken by anyone without the bishop’s sanction. The sole Eucharist you should consider valid is one that is celebrated by the bishop himself, or by some person authorized by him. Where the bishop is to be seen, there let all his people be; just as, wherever Jesus Christ is present, there is the Catholic Church (Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 107]).

Reactions: Philip James

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ignorance is defined by you Post #51

i said: "make sure you submit to the teachings of Christ and the Apostles that are in my Posts #28 & #30."

Not my words, silly rabbit, but the words of Christ and the Holy Apostles.
As I said - I already addressed this in post #33.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
REALLY?
Show me a document that indicates this.
Here's ine that says you're wrong from a FIRST century Bishop:

Ignatius of Antioch

Follow your bishop, every one of you, as obediently as Jesus Christ followed the Father. Obey your clergy too as you would the apostles; give your deacons the same reverence that you would to a command of God. Make sure that no step affecting the Church is ever taken by anyone without the bishop’s sanction. The sole Eucharist you should consider valid is one that is celebrated by the bishop himself, or by some person authorized by him. Where the bishop is to be seen, there let all his people be; just as, wherever Jesus Christ is present, there is the Catholic Church (Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 107]).
I wouldn't find too many Greek Orthodox who would agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.