Was Peter the first Pope?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Pope" is an English word, it's transliterated from the Italian "pappa", which comes from the Greek word πατήρ.
"Trinity" and "Incarnation" is not mentioned in the Bible either, because they are English words.

Strong's Number: G3962 Greek Base Word: πατήρ Usage: Father, parent Definition: A "father" (literally or figuratively, near or more remote).

The office of pope is referred to in several places in the Bible. Let's start with Isaiah.

Isa. 22: 19 I will thrust you from your office, and you will be pulled down from your station.

Shebna is described as having an "office" and a "station." An office, in order for it to be an office, has successors. In order for an earthly kingdom to last, a succession of representatives is required. This was the case in the Old Covenant kingdom, and it is the case in the New Covenant kingdom which fulfills the Old Covenant. Jesus our King is in heaven, but He has appointed a chief steward over His household with a plan for a succession of representatives.

Isa.22:20 In that day I will call my servant Eli'akim the son of Hilki'ah,
Isa. 22:20 - in the old Davidic kingdom, Eliakim succeeds Shebna as the chief steward of the household of God. The kingdom employs a mechanism of dynastic succession. King David was dead for centuries, but his kingdom is preserved through a succession of representatives.

Isa.22:21 and I will clothe him with your robe, and will bind your girdle on him, and will commit your authority to his hand; and he shall be a father (πατήρto) the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah.
Isa. 22:21 - Eliakim is called “father” or “papa” of God's people. The word Pope used by Catholics to describe the chief steward of the earthly kingdom simply means papa or father in Italian. This is why Catholics call the leader of the Church "Pope." The Pope is the father of God's people, the chief steward of the earthly kingdom and Christ's representative on earth.

Isa.22:22 And I will place on his shoulder the key of the house of David; he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
Isa. 22:22 - we see that the keys of the kingdom pass from Shebna to Eliakim. Thus, the keys are used not only as a symbol of authority, but also to facilitate succession. The keys of Christ's kingdom have passed from Peter to Linus all the way to our current Pope with an unbroken lineage for almost 2,000 years.

23: And I will fasten him, and he will become a throne of honor to his father's house.
"like a peg in a sure place" is analogous to tent pegs to secure a tent to keep the wind from blowing it down. Tents were common at the time so everyone understood what this meant. Jesus established 12 thrones of honor in Matthew 28:19. They didn't vanish.

Rev. 1:18; 3:7; 9:1; 20:1 - Jesus' "keys" undeniably represent authority. By using the word "keys," Jesus gives Peter authority on earth over the new Davidic kingdom, and this was not seriously questioned by anyone until the Protestant revolt 1,500 years later after Peter’s investiture.

Revelation 3:7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: `The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens.

The key of David, a sign of authority, didn't die with Peter.

Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Isa. 22:22 - we see that the keys of the kingdom pass from Shebna to Eliakim. Thus, the keys are used not only as a symbol of authority, but also to facilitate succession. The keys of Christ's kingdom have passed from Peter to Linus all the way to our current Pope with an unbroken lineage for almost 2,000 years.

23: And I will fasten him like a peg in a sure place, and he will become a throne of honor to his father's house.
Tents were common in those days, and everyone understood what pegs were for. It's an analogy. Jesus established 12 thrones of honor in Matthew 19:28. They are not analogies.

Rev. 1:18; 3:7; 9:1; 20:1 - Jesus' "keys" undeniably represent authority. By using the word "keys," Jesus gives Peter authority on earth over the new Davidic kingdom, and this was not seriously questioned by anyone until the Protestant reformation 1,500 years later after Peter’s investiture.

Revelation 3:7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: `The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens.
The key of David is not temporary or disposable.

Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
Matt. 16:19 - whatever Peter binds or looses on earth is bound or loosed in heaven / when the Prime Minister to the King opens, no one shuts. This "binding and loosing" authority allows the keeper of the keys to establish "halakah," or rules of conduct for the members of the kingdom he serves.

Jer. 33:17 For thus saith the Lord: There shall not be cut off from David a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel.
Jeremiah prophesies that David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the earthly House of Israel. Either this is a false prophecy, or David has a successor of representatives throughout history.

Dan. 2:44 But in the days of those kingdoms the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, and his kingdom shall not be delivered up to another people, and it shall break in pieces, and shall consume all these kingdoms, and itself shall stand for ever.
Daniel prophesies an earthly kingdom that will never be destroyed. Either this is a false prophecy, or the earthly kingdom requires succession.
Our Bibles are English. "Pope" is not in any of them I know of.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a possiblity it is mentioned . But believe me you dont want to follow it .
There is One Pope mentioned in the Holy Scripture that we are all to follow.

This same Pope is ALL in ALL for HE is the Foundation of God's House, the Architect and the Builder

Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus, who was faithful to Him who appointed Him, as Moses also was faithful in all His house. For this One has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as He who built the house has more honor than the house. For every house is built by someone, but He who built all things is God. And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward, but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.
Hebrews

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our Bibles are English. "Pope" is not in any of them I know of.

This same Pope is, ALL in ALL, the FIRST and the LAST, for HE is the Foundation of God's House, the Architect and the Builder

Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus, who was faithful to Him who appointed Him, as Moses also was faithful in all His house. For this One has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as He who built the house has more honor than the house. For every house is built by someone, but He who built all things is God. And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward, but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.
Hebrews

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This same Pope ALL in ALL for HE is the Foundation of God's House, the Architect and the Builder

Hebrews
Yes indeed my friend .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter is not the Rock.

Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” = Is the Rock

Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Notice JESUS did not say 'on you Peter I will build My church.

JESUS said to Peter = "on this Rock(Petra)" = Himself
This entire post is an exercise in ignorance.

Let’s start with the fat that Jesus and the Apostles spoke AramaicNOT Greek.
Jesus didn’t call ANYONE “Petra” or “Petros”. He used the ONLY word for “Rock” in Aramaic, which is “Kepha”. As I already mentioned – this is why Paul refers to him NOT as Peter I his letters, but as “Cephas”.

Jesus
said, “And I say to you, you are Kepha and on this Kepha I will build my church.”
In the Greek, the word “Petros” is used because it is a masculine noun. Referring to Peter as “Petra” would have been grammatically incorrect because it is a feminine noun.

Peter is absolutely the Rock in this verse and there can be NO other – or the verse makes NO sense. What we have here is a THREEfold blessing:
Blessing #1: “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.

Blessing #2: And I tell you that you are Kepha and on this Kepha I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Blessing #3: I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

According to YOUR warped logic – YOU would have us believe that Jesus blesses Peter, mocks him, then blesses him again:
Blessing #1: “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.

Mocking #2: And I tell you that you are an insignificant pebble, but on this giant rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Blessing #3: I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

This is why the Protestant scholars I listed ALL agree qith the Catholic position.
YOUR version is silly on its face.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldnt even follow the popes , the JW TOWER , the mormon and etc to burger king .
I follow a very strict diet . The WORD and words of GOD
and i wont be eating THEIR WHOPPERS . For they may as well
work at burger king cause they seem to be kings of making and preparing the whopper .
The whopper of lies .
If ye think fast food is bad for the body
FAST LIES will KILL THE SOUL .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many work for a hybrid . a hybrid that will kill the soul .
They follow doctrines of burger king and whataburger
KNOWN as whatawhopper . lies alone they produce and this lamb wont be feasting from their table .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello RR,

You are incorrect. The 'tradition' is not based on any scripture but on the authority of Christ handed on through the apostles. The Church was active and growing before one letter of the NT was penned.

Try again.

Pax et Bonum
Nope, it was based on the authority of man

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This entire post is an exercise in ignorance.

Let’s start with the fat that Jesus and the Apostles spoke AramaicNOT Greek.
Jesus didn’t call ANYONE “Petra” or “Petros”. He used the ONLY word for “Rock” in Aramaic, which is “Kepha”. As I already mentioned – this is why Paul refers to him NOT as Peter I his letters, but as “Cephas”.

Jesus
said, “And I say to you, you are Kepha and on this Kepha I will build my church.”
In the Greek, the word “Petros” is used because it is a masculine noun. Referring to Peter as “Petra” would have been grammatically incorrect because it is a feminine noun.

Peter is absolutely the Rock in this verse and there can be NO other – or the verse makes NO sense. What we have here is a THREEfold blessing:

Blessing #2: And I tell you that you are Kepha and on this Kepha I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

According to YOUR warped logic – YOU would have us believe that Jesus blesses Peter, mocks him, then blesses him again:

Mocking #2: And I tell you that you are an insignificant pebble, but on this giant rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

This is why the Protestant scholars I listed ALL agree qith the Catholic position.
YOUR version is silly on its face.
CORRECT = Your entire post is an exercise in ignorance = willful ignorance

Right now you have no choice but to remain in self-inflicted blindness of heart

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CORRECT = Your entire post is an exercise in ignorance = willful ignorance

Right now you have no choice but to remain in self-inflicted blindness of heart
When I read posts like this - posts with absolutly NO attempt to refute my position - I realize that you've run OUT of gas.

A thousande denials don't amount to a SINGLE intelligent argument . . .

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, it was based on the authority of man
The Jews in the OT relied on Tradtion as well as Scripture for God's revelation.
Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I read posts like this - posts with absolutly NO attept to refute my position - I realize that you've run OUT of gas.

A thousande denials don't amount to a SINGLE intelligent argument . . .
You have already been refuted by the TRUTH which you reject = there is no help for you.

MAYBE, if it pleases the LORD, HE will open your eyes as HE did for Saul of Tarsus - maybe!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have already been refuted by the TRUTH which you reject = there is no help for you.

MAYBE, if it pleases the LORD, HE will open your eyes as HE did for Saul of Tarsus - maybe!
Cool.
Can you point me to the actual POST where you "refuted" my position?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cool.
Can you point me to the actual POST where you "refuted" my position?
Posts 28 , 30 , 70 , 83

Allow God to direct your heart and mind in Christ Jesus our LORD = thru HIS WORD = Proverbs 30:5-6

Every word of God is flawless;
He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him.

Do not add to His words,
lest He rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is locked, no more immature and unkind words, take it up with Admin if you do not like it @Patrick1966 !

Status
Not open for further replies.